Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 15, 2016 11:38 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
I believe romantic love is just sexy people having sex with sexy people. There's nothing there.

Then how do you explain long-distance relationships?
Feb 15, 2016 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
yes i believe in true love even tho i have never actually fallen in love lol
Feb 15, 2016 12:36 PM

Aug 2013
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I believe romantic love is just sexy people having sex with sexy people. There's nothing there.

Thirst or desperation which ever one you want to go for. Few long distance relationships stand the test of time. Romance requires some level of physical connection, its biology at work. Human romance was never intended to be separate, humans getting romantically connected to each other was always meant to be face to face. 70% of what goes on during courting and attraction is unspoken, its body language its smell its touch.
Feb 15, 2016 12:38 PM

Mar 2015
Never experienced "true love" so far and I dont really believe in it
Feb 15, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2014
Spooks said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

Thirst or desperation which ever one you want to go for. Few long distance relationships stand the test of time. Romance requires some level of physical connection, its biology at work. Human romance was never intended to be separate, humans getting romantically connected to each other was always meant to be face to face. 70% of what goes on during courting and attraction is unspoken, its body language its smell its touch.

I've heard quite a few success stories, I think it just depends on how committed each partner is, and/or for how long apart they are at a time. I haven't heard many (i.e. any) success stories where both partners hadn't seen each other at all in 10+ years, let's just put it that way...

Edit: Also, I wouldn't call it "thirst" or "desperation" if both partners actually genuinely love each other. If the relationship still manages to work without either partner ending up cheating on the other (or simply dumping them), I think that may just go to prove "true love" in those instances, as corny as that may sound.
And not to forget that technology makes LDRs slightly more bearable nowadays, with video chats and what not.
NonaryGamesFeb 15, 2016 12:51 PM
Feb 15, 2016 2:06 PM

Sep 2014
Yes, I do, I did love for so long, damn, strong thing
Feb 15, 2016 2:08 PM

Oct 2015
I couldn't say, if it does exist then I have never seen or experienced it before.
Feb 15, 2016 4:52 PM

Jun 2012
I don't think that those two words even belong together. It's love, or it's not. No two ways about it really. There is no one "true love", one person destined for you.

On the side note though, even love is questionable, as I see it more driven by the passion and lust which are ultimately both lost with time as you finally "consume" the other person.
Feb 15, 2016 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
Nah, it's all just hormones and shit. It's all based around evolution. It's humans that put meaning into such things when there really is none.
Feb 15, 2016 6:28 PM

Jun 2015
I do, but very few people actually find it.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Feb 15, 2016 11:21 PM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

A very powerful friendship, which exists and which is awesome. It can also involve sexual attraction.

I actually think friendship and the Friendzone are highly underrated. 'Staying friends' with those who reject you isn't bad so I don't use them in a negative way.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 29, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2013
no, I don't believe in true love because it never exist.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever
enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker,
or smarter. Everything is within.
Everything is exists.
Seek nothing outside of yourself
" - Musashi
miyamoto
May 29, 2016 12:32 PM

Feb 2014
i think it's real .. maybe hard to find but totally possible
May 29, 2016 12:36 PM

Jul 2014
I'm unsure as to whether it exists but I for one have never felt it.
LoveLikeBloodMay 29, 2016 12:41 PM
Take care of yourself

May 29, 2016 12:46 PM

Nov 2015
If you mean true love in the sense of 'soulmate' then the chances of that are there, albeit very low. But if you mean true love as in the 'emotion' (is any emotion ever not 'true'?) then of course it does exist.

Also OP, you're thinking about destiny in all the wrong ways. Destiny is what happens; what is happening, and what has happened. Hypothetical situations are... hypothetical. What never happened cannot be fate. Since fate is a tautology.
Feb 25, 2017 10:46 PM

Feb 2017
I think there is true love somewhere, it's rare.

How I define True love is that it involves a couple, they accept each other's faults, support each other through thick and thin, they accept who they are and they feel safe with each other. They grow old together as well whether it is by living together or via mass communication.
"I'm Irish. I think about death all the time."- Jack Nicholson

Feb 25, 2017 11:20 PM

Aug 2009
Its all just in your head, chemicals compelling you to breed and reproduce. Love and romanticism is something that only became a thing within the 200 or so years.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 25, 2017 11:59 PM

Feb 2015
Food is true love. It does not have feelings. Food will never abandon you,, hurt you I mean verbally hurt you. It can make you constipated at times, I guess love hurts.
-Answered by a pregnant woman/ Translated by me.

My perspective on true love is when you've been through so much together, not that googly eyed love and kisses kind of way but more of although I got some chicks on my mind, you'll always be my queen kind of love.

Pregnant woman: Food Food Food!!
Me: Sup homie.
EsuttaFeb 26, 2017 12:17 AM
Hashbrown no signature.
Feb 26, 2017 12:16 AM

Feb 2016
Well okay, first of all, anime romance or any kind of fictional romance is really not a good metric for deciding whether you are in love. We're all different and from what I've seen, fictional portrayal of romance is seldom representative of real life. It's often an ideal which we ourselves conjure up, much like the perfect movies you probably direct about romance in your own mind. They're just that, movies.

Now, do I think there is true love? Yes. I've always been a romantic and I stand by it. I think there is that special someone out there for each person. I'll even go as far as saying that it doesn't matter what biological sex they are. Age is a bit trickier, but I'll leave that one for now.

I think there is a person who truly completes your other half. BUT, consider this. Who you are and who that person is isn't always static. You can change and so can others. Maybe not at the core, but certainly in value. So it is very possible that this perfect someone can be a different person at different stages of your life, but it would take very big changes of character to affect this. Most of the time, I think it would remain static since we live our lives by building a more or less static personal identity anyway.

Moreover, I think you can fall in love with almost anyone and it can actually work with almost anyone. Biologically speaking, it has to. The problem is, people suck as negotiating and partnering. This is why we see very high break-up rates, divorce rates, and marriage issues. People are just not good at staying monogamous and resolving conflicts. It could be a societal issue or it may be an inherent issue, but the reality is, few people marry the first person they date and even fewer stay in that marriage. I think one problem is that people just date based on lust and men especially tend to conjure up personalities which are most likely to get them a sexual partner for a little while. Once the lust gets boring, people either settle or they find out that they're just not that compatible. You can still make incompatible couples work, you just have to know how to negotiate. But I think most people have a romantic notion that if they're not perfectly happy with their partner, it's not "true love," which then erodes the foundation upon which you can build.

Feb 26, 2017 12:26 AM

Jan 2016
I'm a romantic, so yes, I believe in true love.
Feb 26, 2017 2:39 AM

Dec 2015
Not really, no.
Relationships come and go. You'll either be the type who changes a lover 1-3 times a year or one who sticks with just one for an extended period of time. Supposedly, once you've been through a lot together (ex. have kids), you'll end up caring for each other on a deeper level, thus no longer care about romance that much anymore. Otherwise, it's just hormones and a possible fear of loneliness that 'push' you to fall in love with someone. That's all. :P
Feb 26, 2017 2:44 AM

Mar 2016
Even if it is a thing, you still have to work towards it. There is no love if you just sit around and wait for it. Even that prince had to train his horse to come to you, and the princess had to go through tough lessons of how to be a lady.

Feb 26, 2017 1:53 PM

Nov 2013
Thread Cleaned - From off topic chatter/spam, and baiting.
Feb 26, 2017 3:35 PM

Nov 2016
True love is a misguided concept given too much notion by the entertainment industry. It might happen that you meat your so-called soulmate and you live happily ever after, but chances are you don't. Most relationships don't last a lifetime, and that's okay as well - humans are dynamic, ever-changing creatures.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Feb 26, 2017 3:48 PM

Dec 2016
I've seen it where people have met their Soul Mate, and it's something that I've always hoped for... But these days I'd settle for someone who can make a good cup of coffee.
Feb 26, 2017 5:47 PM
Feb 2017
I don't believe romantic love exists. I do believe in lust and affection, however, the concept of love that you see in anime is in anime for a reason. It's fantasy.
Feb 27, 2017 10:16 AM

Sep 2008
k0k0 said:
I thought I did not. Someone has been trying very hard to persuade me otherwise. I'm not so sure anymore.

Interesting, how long has it been going on may I ask?

As for OP Question, yes I do. But dude, your fucking 16? and you are wondering about this because you've had two GFs so far and feel nothing? And you are comparing this to anime? Anime is NOT Reality, it's the dream of those who made it.

Also in regards to your example, you aren't asking if true love exists, you are asking if true love is destined. You are wondering that had you not done what you did what would happen. There is a movie about this Adjustment Bureau.
Feb 27, 2017 10:24 AM

Sep 2015
I had multiple girlfriends through my life and im with one now, i have no idea what love is and how should i feel towards people i should "love" i mean i respect them and all but nothing more.
The situation between me and my current "girlfriend" is purely platonic in a way because of course we exchange kisses and hugs and all but i dont feel any desire towards her.

I donno maybe im asexual or something, maybe i didnt find any "true" love.
Feb 27, 2017 10:24 AM

Jun 2015
there is true love but in order to get to that true love you'll have to go through a lot (:
Feb 27, 2017 10:38 AM

Aug 2007
It doesn't exist. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous I find the idea of finding 'the one', the world is a vast place. Are you really, by some major coincidence going to find this person? Most likely not, not unless you travel a LOT and are extremely social with a huge network of friends/colleagues/acquaintances etc.

For a long time, people just ended up with people they went to school with, or through a friend/coworker. Now with social media and dating apps, the idea of true love is kind of a ridiculous notion and only leads to very high standards.

ThrashMatto said:
Yes and her name is SnugglyWhuggly.

Look, we get it. The entire MAL forum community gets it by now. You don't need to stroke each others ego every time either of you post in a thread.

Feb 27, 2017 11:06 AM

Jan 2014
Hias said:
It doesn't exist. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous I find the idea of finding 'the one', the world is a vast place. Are you really, by some major coincidence going to find this person? Most likely not, not unless you travel a LOT and are extremely social with a huge network of friends/colleagues/acquaintances etc.

For a long time, people just ended up with people they went to school with, or through a friend/coworker. Now with social media and dating apps, the idea of true love is kind of a ridiculous notion and only leads to very high standards.

ThrashMatto said:
Yes and her name is SnugglyWhuggly.

Look, we get it. The entire MAL forum community gets it by now. You don't need to stroke each others ego every time either of you post in a thread.

You know what, I think I'll continue. Thank you for your input, have a nice day.

@SnugglyWhuggly is love, @SnugglyWhuggly is life.
True love exists, you just have to find it. Don't be salty.

edit: Do you realize that post is from over a year ago?
ThrashMattoFeb 27, 2017 12:35 PM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Feb 28, 2017 11:23 AM
Jan 2016
I honestly don't believe in true love I think it's just made for movies
Mar 1, 2017 6:47 PM

Feb 2016
FadedOutlaw said:
Im walking by the park and I see this girl she takes my breath away so I aproach her. We hit it off and we start dating,eventually I fall in "love" with her. What if I was sick that day and didnt go to the park and I never met her. Would I eventually meet another girl which I hit it off with?

1. Yes. Falling in love isn't a unique emotion. There are many people in the world that you can fall in love with (in both different ways and the same sort of ways). No one relationship with be quite the same as another though (because everybody is different and we are continually changing).

2. So. While love isn't a unique one-off fateful occurrence (that there are potentially endless love matches for you in this world), meeting and going out with certain particular people will be a lot more fateful occasion.

Just as you will never know the friendships that may or may not have happened had certain factors played out differently, you will also never know of the loves that could have happened. But just as some opportunities for new friendships disappear everyday, new ones are also always being born too (and the same is true for love opportunities).

FadedOutlaw said:
ive only had 2 gfs so far but ive never really felt anything for them anyway im kinda new to anime but the majority of anime ive seen are romance.

3. Why "only"? Why does the number matter? You sound like you associate dating too much with popularity (which is a insecure & immature trait).

I feel bad for the "only" girls that you dated because while you never really felt anything for them (although are you sure this is the case- why did you become their boyfriend if you felt nothing for them?), they might have felt something for you (and you are disrespecting them by reducing them to a mere 2 digits that you didn't care much for).

4. One important thing to take into consideration: Just because there are potentially countless love matches for you in this lifetime, this does not mean that all of those relationships will be healthy and equal in quality. And if you waste your time with another girl who you are not really interested in (therefore in turn also wasting her time and potentially hurting her feelings too), a really great girl (who is much better suited to you) could potentially pass you by in life (while you are busy being hooked up with "Miss.Not-Worth-It").

(And no, its not simply a case of "If that happens, I'll just dump the wrong girl so that I can be with the right girl!" because that will immediately make you look like a horrible fickle guy in front of Miss.Potentially-Right (and if she has the qualities of a being a true great Miss.Right, then she will avoid a guy who appears to just use and dump girls on a whim))

5. At age 16 you are young.
But you are not too young to fall in love.
I was 16 when I met my guy (and almost 15 years on we are still together!). I wasn't looking for love when I found it but luckily I fell in love with a really great guy (who I have no regrets about falling in love with- he is just the best!). But had I been less serious in life (dawdling around at age 16 in meaningless relationships etc) I would have missed my chance to meet and be with my guy (and although I am sure I would have eventually met and fallen in love with someone else, I can't imagine any other relationship/guy being anywhere near as great as my one is!). I found someone literally perfect for me (and I while there was a degree of luck in that happening, it is also down to how I had lived my life up until that point).

So live with purpose!
These years of yours are particularly special and formative (so don't waste your time on people who aren't worth it). Remember that this life you are living is not a dress rehearsal (this is it)!

6. But finding love is not the be-all and end-all of a relationship (the "mission accomplished"). For example you can fall in love with someone not well suited to you. And it takes more than love to make a relationship work (especially if you are not very compatible, no amount of love might be able to save the relationship long-term). And it is totally possible to develop strong feelings for someone who is not very suitable for you!

7. And this is yet another reason why you shouldn't mess around with people that you're not really interested in (but you do so anyway because of the perceived kudos, the convenient sex on offer or the simple element of companionship that quells your feelings of loneliness etc). Because not only could you miss out on someone truly great, but you could fall in love with someone who is wrong for you. And nothing is worse than falling in love with someone who is not good for you. Not least because just because they are not good for you (and you end up regretting & ending relationship etc), that does not mean that you can just turn off your feelings and make the feelings of love/heartbreak/attachment go away with ease (in fact even a very bad relationship can still take some time to get over).

Love is not something we have that much control over in life. We can look for it (but not find it). We can try to avoid it (but fall into it). We can do our best to improve our chances of finding the right person (but that is tough). And falling in love can be exhilarating, terrifying and wonderful (all at the same time!).

8. Falling in love is difficult because you will go through such a roller-coaster of emotions; when you are with your loved one you will wish that your time together could go on forever (you feel so well bonded with each other, enjoying your time together so much etc), but when they leave your heart will long after them (and when you think about them you feel butterflies in your stomach) etc. You will try to focus on your friends and studies/work etc (but your mind will often be consumed with thoughts about your loved one).
And it's scary because when it does happen, it can happen so quickly that you feel like you are losing control of your emotions and yourself (and the thought of not knowing if the other person feels the same way about you is scary etc). But when its requited (and with the right sort of person for you), nothing can feel more wonderful in this world than being in requited love (and its something that you just cannot buy nor force into existence in this world).
It really is a great thing.

Best of luck to you!
Mar 1, 2017 6:57 PM

Feb 2015
I look at mah waifu, worship her all day... I even fap to her...

Is it love or lust?

I dunno man.. I might be lusting to love her...
Mar 1, 2017 7:13 PM

Jan 2015
The idea of true love is a corporate scam designed to sell engagement rings and tickets to romance movies. Finding it would be a waste of time, IMO.
Mar 1, 2017 7:21 PM

Jun 2015
It exists but it's rare.

People mistake love of a relationship with love of a person too much. You can truly, deeply love someone. The problem is there is no guarantee they feel the same.

It's not something I wish would happen again.

Mar 1, 2017 7:36 PM

Oct 2015
Baby don't let me hurt you! No no, no no.
[left] (◕‿◕✿)
Mar 2, 2017 7:51 AM

Dec 2015
to me no, i feel difficulty with even feeling love itself
Mar 2, 2017 9:02 AM

Feb 2017
Yeah, of course. I don't mean like 'true love' in terms of destiny/fate, which is stuff you see in the movies, but actual genuine love.

True love to me is selfless. Love is putting someone else's feelings above your own. I also think it's about complete acceptance. Everyone has annoying qualities and there's no way you can like everything about someone, but it's about loving them anyway. True love makes you want to be the best version of yourself.

I don't think it has to be romantic either. Familial love and platonic love aren't valued high enough.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Mar 2, 2017 1:21 PM

Sep 2013
I think that there is no such thing as true love. It may happen, but that's just a feeling. Nothing more. And feelings vanish at some point. I'll believe it when I see it.
One man's freedom is another man's terror.
Mar 14, 2017 10:38 AM
May 2012
i don't believe in it, i want to experience it
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

8 by LoveLikeBlood »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

50 by luckyrune »»
51 minutes ago

» Is it ok if your partner has a best friend (bestie) of the opposite sex?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 20

19 by Reki_Retro »»
1 hour ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

306 by bevarnow »»
2 hours ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - 6 hours ago

4 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.