Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 15, 2016 6:25 AM
Jan 2016
I mean if it comes up in conversation I'd be happy to talk about it, but it doesn't really come up casually.
Feb 15, 2016 6:27 AM

Mar 2012
I've talked about it with some of my coworkers in the past but none of my current ones - it just hasn't come up. My coworkers are substantially (15-30 years) older than me and definitely not into it. We talk about movies, hip-hop, television, current events, office gossip, our personal lives, and a multitude of other things, but I've never seen the point in trying to force somebody to listen to something they aren't interested in.

That being said, anime falls a little outside the range of topics I would feel comfortable discussing at work in a way other things (television shows they don't watch, people they don't know) that similarly don't involve my coworkers do not. I think it's the general immaturity/stupidity of the premises? I worked with a guy who was into anime a few months ago and he wouldn't stop talking about series like Naruto, Bleach, Soul Eater, despite being in his 20s, and I definitely found it off-putting.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Feb 15, 2016 7:04 AM

Nov 2015
Yes, I don't give a shit if people think of me differently cause I watch something, lol.
Feb 15, 2016 7:33 AM

Apr 2013
If someone asks if I watch it or not, I will say yes obviously. But I don't go around flaunting the fact that I am a fan of the Japanese entertainment industry.

As I get older, I realize that people don't give as much shits about you as you think they do.
Feb 15, 2016 7:48 AM
Jan 2015
I am a former university lecturer and I am open in saying that I like animes. Why not? It's not like it will tarnish my reputation as long as I act like a real teacher and finding the proper places to engage in anime discussion.

I even once used the Balbad's currency problems in Magi to my Finance class. And it worked.
Feb 15, 2016 8:10 AM

Jun 2013
aureate-senpai said:
very open!
but people at school think im an idiot :/

this week a friend of mine - not a friend i dont have friends lol, more like someone i kind of know - asked me if i had watched many series in the holidays, and i was like - yeah, so many series, so many animes!!!!!
and he was like - ew, you watch anime? that's a thing for retards!

but i dont regret a thing. u.u
You should probably get friends tho, to avoid those kind of comments, just an advice.
Feb 15, 2016 8:28 AM
Dec 2014
I don't keep it a secret but I don't have many friends I could talk about anyways. I don't try to persuade them into watching, since they also have hobbies (geo caching, certain music, simulator games)I don't want to get into
Feb 15, 2016 8:32 AM

Sep 2014
I'm not open about it.. ..buuut I do talk about it when asked, since it's not something I find embarrassing, just not something I would bring up to just anyone.
Feb 15, 2016 8:42 AM

Jan 2016
I'm not ashamed of it, but it's not something I would bring about in a workspace. Perhaps maybe if there's a proper opportunity to talk about it - then I would.

But with most my interests, it's not something I'd be waving around or shouting about.

Maybe have a few appropriate figurines on the work desk, but that's it, nothing too showy or something that will make me seem less professional. Work is for work, it's not place to be flaunting your interests about, that's what you're bed room is for *wink wink*

-bakaonna
Feb 15, 2016 9:23 AM

May 2013
I tell people if they ask, but otherwise there's no need to bring it up. Some people just aren't interested, and that's fine.
Feb 15, 2016 9:26 AM

Apr 2013
I used to be "open" about it back when I first got into anime a few years back and acted like a stupid weeaboo. Nowadays I only really mention it if it comes up in conversation or if anyone asks. It's not like I go around telling everyone I meet "OMG I'm a gamer! Man have you ever played Dark Souls? That game is great! Oh and so is Mass Effect and The Witcher 3! I also love playing modded Skyrim! PC MASTER RACE!"

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Feb 15, 2016 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
EpicShonenGuy said:
aureate-senpai said:
very open!
but people at school think im an idiot :/

this week a friend of mine - not a friend i dont have friends lol, more like someone i kind of know - asked me if i had watched many series in the holidays, and i was like - yeah, so many series, so many animes!!!!!
and he was like - ew, you watch anime? that's a thing for retards!

but i dont regret a thing. u.u
You should probably get friends tho, to avoid those kind of comments, just an advice.

yeah, i guess... still looking for the right people zzzzzzz
Feb 15, 2016 10:00 AM

May 2015
Most of my friends are nerds so they're accepting of anime.

I had no problem mentioning anime in the military, where you had the complete opposite of nerd. Most of the people saw it as something cool, something that made me weirder and thus more interesting.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 15, 2016 10:01 AM

Apr 2014
Ofcourse I am, why would you hide a hobby that you enjoy?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

10 by Jackson1333 »»
9 seconds ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

16 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

57 by luckyrune »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

114 by -YaoiBoy- »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

19 by PlasticRobot »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.