Forum Settings
Forums

we are almost half through winter,so which anime you think is dark horse of the season?

New
Feb 14, 2016 5:39 AM

May 2015
I will say Konosuba(It was not hyped at all before airing due having the DEEN studiio tag)

and I am seeing people called Erased a dark horse *sigh*

here see what it means https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_horse
TheGeniusBakaFeb 14, 2016 6:36 AM

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 14, 2016 5:43 AM

Feb 2013
bubuki buranki
i didnt expect it to be a battle royale-ish anime, and i love that shit
Feb 14, 2016 5:52 AM

Mar 2015
hai to gensou no grimgar. everything looking down on it because LN adaptation, slow paced, and generic theme.

i like it because one of those rare LN faithful adaptation that not totaly rushed and actualy give spotlight to character.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 14, 2016 5:56 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar.

Didn't expect it to be that thrilling but can also be relaxing at the same time, I like the pace....

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 14, 2016 6:00 AM

May 2015
Pandora in the Crimson Shell. Don't really know why, my brain sort of shuts down if I think about it too hard.
Feb 14, 2016 6:04 AM

Nov 2015
Ajin duh. Because something as trivial as WELL DONE cgi has no negative basis for me.
Feb 14, 2016 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
Konosuba. It's the anime I look forward to seeing most every week. Pure Comedic Gold.
Feb 14, 2016 6:16 AM

Jul 2012
a show i didn't expect to enjoy is dagashi kashi. it's not a "good" show overall but the trivia and skits are quite enjoyable and it gives amazing summer vibes. super relaxing to watch.

Itadakimasuuuu said:
Ajin duh. Because something as trivial as WELL DONE cgi has no negative basis for me.
me too ^^^
Feb 14, 2016 6:17 AM

Mar 2015
Konsuba, everyone expected it to be the 1115th generic light novel adaption of a guy being transported into a new world with beautiful girls with new ones added to his harem every episode.
Feb 14, 2016 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
Ajin is pretty great, got the highest rating from me between all the anime I am watching this season. I don't think the fact that its CGI is bad or deserve to be deemed bad because of it.

Feb 14, 2016 6:29 AM

Dec 2015
I wasn't expecting Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu at all, and I don't think many people were. (Thanks, DEEN!) But I hope it'll be one of the more well-remembered series from this season, if not necessarily a true dark horse.
Feb 14, 2016 6:29 AM

Jan 2016
I would say "Erased". Each episode feels like a small thriller movie. Really good and has perfect blend of psychological and darkness.
***650 characters are not enough to put my complete signature***
Feb 14, 2016 6:31 AM

Jan 2016
RayAdha said:
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar.

Didn't expect it to be that thrilling but can also be relaxing at the same time, I like the pace....
I would say "Erased". Each episode feels like a small thriller movie. Really good and has perfect blend of psychological and darkness.

Ohh actually I dropped it after second episode. I had this feeling that it will take quite some time to get in full swing. So how's it's pace now?
***650 characters are not enough to put my complete signature***
Feb 14, 2016 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
dormantking said:

Oh gosh no. That doesn't fit in the "dark horse" category.

For me it's konosuba. Thought generic but it has been pretty good so far.
Feb 14, 2016 6:33 AM

Jun 2013
If you can call this a dark horse then probably Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju mainly because I didn't know anything about it.

May 2015
shiz4ya said:
ansatsu kyoushitsu 2nd season, i guess
really I said dark horse.google it.

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Mar 2014
Definitely Shouwa. It's a shame when what's arguably the best show of the season is being overlooked by so many people. Second place goes to Grimgar which I really can't understand the hate for, at least based on the three episodes I've watched.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Feb 14, 2016 6:34 AM
Jul 2015
I have to agree with the OP and say Konosuba. I didn't know about it's existance until it was aired. Now is my 2nd favourite of the season.

Feb 14, 2016 7:00 AM

Sep 2015
Fengwu said:
I wasn't expecting Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu at all, and I don't think many people were. (Thanks, DEEN!) But I hope it'll be one of the more well-remembered series from this season, if not necessarily a true dark horse.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the only non-sequel anime of the entire Winter 2016 season other than Boku Dake to have a score higher than 8/10 on MAL.

For me, KonoSuba and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo definitely take the Dark Horse title.

For Shouwa, well. It is character development and drama done perfectly. Each of the characters feels unique; the chemistry between Kiku and Sukeroku is brilliant, despite their jarring differences.

KoboSuba didn't impress me at all with the first episode. I thought it was incredibly average and nothing new. I figured it would be just another 5/10 anime that I wouldn't regret watching but could definitely have done better.
Little did I know it would turn out to be one of my favourites from the entire season.

At least KoboSuba is getting its deserved recognition though; Shouwa Genroku is painfully unpopular.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 14, 2016 7:08 AM

Jun 2015
I wouldn't say it's the #01 Dark Horse, but Sekkou Boys has been surprisingly entertaining, plus it's one of the only 3 shows I'm watching this season, (the others being ERASED and Koyomimonogatari) so I can't really give a valid opinion.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Feb 14, 2016 7:18 AM

Aug 2015
ItsMaz said:
Fengwu said:

If I'm not mistaken, it is the only non-sequel anime of the entire Winter 2016 season other than Boku Dake to have a score higher than 8/10 on MAL.

For me, KonoSuba and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo definitely take the Dark Horse title.

For Shouwa, well. It is character development and drama done perfectly. Each of the characters feels unique; the chemistry between Kiku and Sukeroku is brilliant, despite their jarring differences.

KoboSuba didn't impress me at all with the first episode. I thought it was incredibly average and nothing new. I figured it would be just another 5/10 anime that I wouldn't regret watching but could definitely have done better.
Little did I know it would turn out to be one of my favourites from the entire season.

At least KoboSuba is getting its deserved recognition though; Shouwa Genroku is painfully unpopular.
I was going to watch that series too. But the moment I saw the "Josei" tag , instantly dropped. I mean aren't Josei only meant for mature women ? Why should people watch something that's clearly not for them ?

This seasons Dark horse would be KonoSuba and Dagashi. I found them both surprisingly entertaining.
Feb 14, 2016 7:20 AM
Jan 2016
For me also KonoSuba is an excellent anime that I didn't expect to be so entertaining
Feb 14, 2016 7:22 AM

Apr 2015
I would say hai to gensou no grimgar.

I didn't know anything about it, neither expected anything but I'm really enjoying it.
Feb 14, 2016 7:24 AM

Sep 2015
Z-Dante said:
ItsMaz said:

I was going to watch that series too. But the moment I saw the "Josei" tag , instantly dropped. I mean aren't Josei only meant for mature women ? Why should people watch something that's clearly not for them ?

This seasons Dark horse would be KonoSuba and Dagashi. I found them both surprisingly entertaining.

You're terribly mistaken. Demograpphic tags are very loose ones. Saying "this isn't for me" when you don't even know what it's about makes 0 sense, unless you dislike the genre an anime is based around - and as previously stated, Josei is a demographic, not a genre.

As far as Rakugo goes, I don't really know why it's apparently aimed at women in their 20s. It just appeals to a maturer audience in general (mentally mature, not age mature).

It really is worth checking out.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 14, 2016 7:27 AM

Jan 2015
Z-Dante said:
ItsMaz said:

What a dumb statement.This is why I can't trust MAL
Rance X is A GOAT.
Feb 14, 2016 7:32 AM

Apr 2015
Definitely Konosuba and Nijiiro Days for me. Wasn't expecting to enjoy them as much as I am.
Feb 14, 2016 7:33 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I'd say KonoSuba takes that award

On the surface it really didn't look like anything more than yet another typical MMO anime but how wrong we were

Funniest anime in quite some time

Z-Dante said:
ItsMaz said:

Not sure if trolling or not but you're taking demographic tags waaaayyy too seriously if you truly believe that. You think it's weird or even remotely rare for women to like shounen shows? Of course it isn't. In the same way it's perfectly normal for males to enjoy and appreciate shoujo and josei anime
Feb 14, 2016 7:35 AM

Jan 2016
Studio Deen has the dark horses of this season, so it seems.
Feb 14, 2016 7:36 AM

Jul 2014
KonoSuba for now, because you know.... DEEN.

I plan to watch Shouwa and Grimga after it finishes airing. (heard positive things about them)
Feb 14, 2016 7:43 AM

Aug 2015
HaXXspetten said:

On the surface it really didn't look like anything more than yet another typical MMO anime but how wrong we were

Z-Dante said:
Not sure if trolling or not but you're taking demographic tags waaaayyy too seriously if you truly believe that. You think it's weird or even remotely rare for women to like shounen shows? Of course it isn't. In the same way it's perfectly normal for males to enjoy and appreciate shoujo and josei anime
Nope. Nothing wrong with girls watching Shounen but I rarely see them watching Harem series or the like meant only for boys. I know not to take demographics seriously but I just heard that Josei series might not be enjoyable for boys to watch.
Wikipedia said:
The josei series that become anime are often noted (and criticized) for their tendency to feature homoerotic themes, often because of a large misinterpretation of the demographic origin. It has come to a point where it is sometimes mistaken for shōnen when adapted to an anime.
I don't know what to think about Wikipedia anymore.
Z-DanteFeb 14, 2016 7:53 AM
Feb 14, 2016 7:47 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Z-Dante said:
HaXXspetten said:

Nope. Nothing wrong with girls watching Shounen but I rarely see them watching Harem series or the like meant only for boys. I know not to take demographics seriously but I just heard that Josei series might not be enjoyable for boys to watch.
Wikipedia said:
The josei series that become anime are often noted (and criticized) for their tendency to feature homoerotic themes, often because of a large misinterpretation of the demographic origin. It has come to a point where it is sometimes mistaken for shōnen when adapted to an anime.
I don't know what to think about Wikipedia anymore.
Well I don't know where they pulled that information from but that sounds like total bullshit to me. Being josei makes it yaoi? What? That doesn't even make sense

Hell even Chihayafuru is labeled as josei and that's effectively a series about a traditional card game. Not exactly what I'd call 'homoerotic'
Feb 14, 2016 7:49 AM

May 2015
Z-Dante said:
ItsMaz said:

Shounen are only meant for young boys. 100% sure that everyone who has seen shounen is not a young boy.

As for my dark horse, I expected Grimgar to be a shitty light novel adaptation but it decieded not to be. I expected Ajin to be CGI Tokyo Ghoul but it was actually good.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 14, 2016 7:50 AM

Aug 2013
Has to be Grimgar. It's like a more serious Log Horizon with better enviroment
I'm surprised how low the raiting for it is on MAL. :(
Feb 14, 2016 7:52 AM

Jan 2014
Is Durarara X2 Ketsu considered Dark Horse?

It's my favorite this season, Mikado unexpected character development picked my interest just like Izaya.
Feb 14, 2016 7:56 AM

Dec 2012
KonoSuba for me.
Didn't expect it to be this funny lol
& it was made by y'know Deen, so wow.
Feb 14, 2016 8:55 AM

Oct 2015
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is definitely the dark horse for me I never heard of it from anyone online or my friends but holy the show is really good so far

KonoSUBA didn't impress me that much because I felt the humor is kind of repetitive but I would understand the appeal since its a parody of MMORPG-Shows and we've seen plenty by now

Z-Dante said:

[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , Trust me I did have cold feet since its Josei as well but the show doesn't have anyyy yaoi elements whatsoever and josei doesn't automatically equal = yaoi , give a shot but I would advice after the show is done if youre not a guy that likes slow pace and more drama-esque shows
Feb 14, 2016 9:11 AM

Aug 2015
KonoSuba for sure I mean just look at these crap:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1387119&show=0

see how like 2/3 of the people in that thread just judged this anime based on its cover without waiting for its premiere, glad this series just prove them wrong and at this moment living to the hype with the good LN sales.
MizunashiFeb 14, 2016 9:33 AM
Feb 14, 2016 9:14 AM

Sep 2015
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, I wasn't expecting it to be this good tbh.

Also, I've seen that a lot of people said KonoSuba but I haven't watched it for myself.

Quite a surprise right there. If a few months ago someone would say to me that DEEN is going to be airing two good shows at the same time, I would not belive it...
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 14, 2016 9:15 AM

Jul 2015
A lot of anime in this season has very slow pacing, like Grimgar started for real at ep. 4. But Earsed was was building tension from very first episode and each one ends with cliffhanger.

Feb 14, 2016 9:16 AM
May 2015
Depends what the race is to be honest, in terms of overall quality it would have to be Ajin it could still surprise me at some point in the future and surpass Shouwa (highly doubt it though) if it's just for highest rated / popularity would then have to be shouwa depending on how much Erased drops / shouwa rises at the end of the season. (again highly doubt it though). In terms of individual elements I would still have to put a bit of thought into it though. However I could be very lazy and just say there are no dark horses this season because the white horse shot them all in the ass and turned them into glue before the race even began.
Feb 14, 2016 9:23 AM

May 2014
hoopla123 said:
100% Kono Suba.....................

AOTS for sure.
+1
This anime was something I added to my list expecting it to be great and it was, though most people are still giving it the pass I think. I think it'll pull a DanMachi though and gain huge momentum when it ends and everyone who watched it gives it an 8 or higher. Same thing happened with Rakudai last season.
Feb 14, 2016 9:24 AM

Jun 2013
I personally like Dimension W, but idk why almost no one mentions it, it's a cool show tbh.
Feb 14, 2016 10:04 AM

Jan 2015
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - but with its slow pacing (not a bad thing) it would have benefited with 24 episodes. I believe this is scheduled to get 12 episodes.

Feb 14, 2016 10:25 AM

Nov 2014
Hai to Gensou no Grimgard. At first I wasn't too impressed and saw it as something "pretty to watch". The last few episodes have proved me wrong, and I think this series is the dark horse for me in this season.

Feb 14, 2016 10:31 AM

Jul 2014
Is Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm considered well-known? Cause I certainly did not expect that show to be this good. Stunning visuals and cool characters.

Is Prince of Stride considered well-known as well?
Feb 14, 2016 10:41 AM

Apr 2014
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Really fun characters and a main character who isn't an one dimensional twat.
Feb 14, 2016 10:49 AM

Nov 2015
KonoSuba, its hilarious and it doesnt take itself serious one bit and plus, in the realm of cynical characters that make snarky comments, Kazuma only loses to Kyon
Feb 14, 2016 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
+1 for Konosuba

A lot of people will dismiss it cuz' Deen.

Even though it has a lot of Deen "Quality",the source material is funny and good.
Think Pratchett meets anime.
Feb 14, 2016 10:54 AM

Sep 2015
Probably would say Subarashii has been the surprise of the season for me. It is actually pretty funny at times and i enjoy the cynicism displayed in the MC.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Feb 14, 2016 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
A lot of anime in this season has very slow pacing, like Grimgar started for real at ep. 4. But Earsed was was building tension from very first episode and each one ends with cliffhanger.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

20 by shin0by »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Apr 23

22 by Atashi_Agatha »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

8 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

30 by Kenzolo-folk »»
4 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 27 minutes ago

7 by Spunkert »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.