Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 10, 2016 2:01 AM

Nope, never.

They would never be interested in it at all. They have the deep-seated idea that anime is for kids, and that all anime is either DBZ or Pokemon.They're also not into the same things that I am.

My Dad mainly watches shows about WW2 or cars, and my mum watches documentaries about random shit, like plane crashes and whatnot.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.

Feb 10, 2016 2:09 AM
I don't bite =3

I don't think I can ever watch anime with my parents. Too awkward.

Feb 10, 2016 2:22 AM

you're lucky your dad likes watching your anime. If my parents were to watch anime with me, I would never be able to enjoy what I watch... not with them asking for translation every other second

Feb 10, 2016 6:43 AM
Ghost in the API

HecticLeo said:

Does anyone else watch anime with their parents?

Rarely, but when I do it's pretty unlikely stuff: like watching Berserk with my mom (yes, the eclipse scene was pretty awkward).

Feb 10, 2016 7:01 AM

I watched tons of anime with my faher. He's drawing and has always been interested in comics/mangas. We read Akira, Dragon Ball (and Z), saw Jin-Roh, NGE, Ghost in e Shell, etc. And I watched a shitload of Ghibli movies with my mother, and City Hunter when I was like 6-8 years old, when it was airing here under the name "Nicky larson".

I bought Cowboy Beebop and Kill la Kill this month, mostly to watch them with my father :3. (yeah, I finally own a sexy box set of Kill la Kill <3__<3 I'm so happy, I feel like a 12 yo girl at a One-D live :3)

Feb 10, 2016 7:27 AM

Metalixx said:
In my case its my mother. I give her the basic description of an anime then she says if she is interested or not? If yes then we watch. A bit strange though.

The only kinds I'd watch with my mom is anime movies such as Studio Ghibli films and such.. I watched Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust with her once before.. she liked movies more though.. I've strayed away from those.
私はサイタマ様が大好きです。私は彼の雌犬です!

Feb 10, 2016 7:36 AM

I was planning to watch Chobits, but what I didn't know was that it was a little bit ecchi. I decided to watch it with my parents.

We had so much awkward moments, (like the part with the "on switch" being the robot's "part") and my mom commented, "These Japanese... They're so perverted."

And I had this look that says, "It's not what you think!"

They probably never liked anime since then
Lies. Lies. Lies.Lies. Lies. Lies.

Feb 10, 2016 7:39 AM

TheCrazyCatLady said:
My father isn't really into animated shows or movies (maybe because he had to sit through so many Disney movies when I was small; I'm not really sure), but my mom kind of got into Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and is a lot more tolerant of anime in general.

I showed my mom FMAB too. She said that the story and the premise are interesting, but she didn't like the art style, the voices ( especially Edwards' constant screaming and screeching) and the big number of characters that got introduced rapidly in the first episode.

She did enjoy, however, watching Attack no 1 ( also known as Mila Superstar), Kaleido Star and InuYasha, when these series were aired on TV.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.

Feb 10, 2016 7:42 AM

Ever since my parents discovered the thing called hentai, it never happened.

Feb 10, 2016 7:46 AM

Watched quite a few Ghibli films with my dad like Pom Poko and Princess Mononoke as well as some Full Metal Alchemist. My mum's bf watched the entirety of Death Note with me whilst my mum has watched films like Wolf Children. Makes me laugh that my mum's bf watched an ep of Elfen Lied and seemed to like it, yet watched an ep of Gantz and apparently said to my mum that he worries about what I watch. Classic.

Feb 10, 2016 7:54 AM

Neither of my parents really seem like they would be into that stuff; at the most, my dad makes fun of it when I watch it on the TV but doesn't really care otherwise. My mom might like something like Cowboy Bebop or any of the mainstream shows, but not much else.

Feb 10, 2016 7:58 AM

I've watched maybe 6-7 series with my parents. I was most surprised by the fact that they both loved Non Non Biyori, never would have thought my parents would enjoy a cute girls doing cute things anime...

Feb 10, 2016 8:00 AM

some years ago i showed to my mother that elfen lied scene with Lucy and Nana at the cemetery and since then she thinks all anime is about murder and violence and cute girls killing each other off, thats quite funny :P

Feb 10, 2016 8:00 AM

I watch anime with my parents. And it gets really awkward, if I'm watching ecchi series lolol. And I'm watching anime in the living room on the TV, derpness.

Anyway I got my own TV now, so now I have privacy yeey ;).
But I still watch most shows (the non nude ones) with my siblings or parents or in the living room. ^__^

Feb 10, 2016 8:04 AM

My parents are plebs with shit taste, so no.
JK, but really the anime they like sucks. My mom's favorite anime is rwby, I think ima disown her.
Banner credit to @turnip

Feb 10, 2016 8:58 AM

Me and my dad used to watch Detective Conan back in the day..
Also my mom recommended me to watch Great Teacher Onizuke. Apparently she has half decent taste in anime herself..
-Heika said:
I was planning to watch Chobits, but what I didn't know was that it was a little bit ecchi. I decided to watch it with my parents.

We had so much awkward moments, (like the part with the "on switch" being the robot's "part") and my mom commented, "These Japanese... They're so perverted."

And I had this look that says, "It's not what you think!"

They probably never liked anime since then

That's just stupid bruh....Why would you do that to yourself?
Still made my day though..
KonaKoffee4 said:
JK, but really the anime they like sucks. My mom's favorite anime is rwby, I think ima disown her.

I don't even think that's an anime in the first place..

Feb 10, 2016 11:02 AM

KonaKoffee4 said:

Lmao, is RWBY that bad? I don't know what it's about but it I was going to get around to it eventually.

Phann said:
I've watched maybe 6-7 series with my parents. I was most surprised by the fact that they both loved Non Non Biyori, never would have thought my parents would enjoy a cute girls doing cute things anime...

Non Non Biyori is amazing! Surprising that they would enjoy a very relaxing and slow show with no story to it. At least they like the good stuff.

Feb 10, 2016 11:18 AM
I watched Inuyasha, Ranma, DBZ, Yugioh, Doraemon, Captain Tsubasa and all that old shit with my mom when I was little and even now sometimes, its fun.

My dad in the other hand... with him is super awkward.

Oct 20, 2016 8:56 AM

I wouldn't want to watch anime with my parents. Not at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 20, 2016 9:10 AM

DeathNote with my mother and she liked it ^_^
Think it twice, Is it worth?

Oct 20, 2016 9:17 AM

its impossible for me to watch anime with my parents. they hardly show any interest for tv shows. the only person i an watch anime with in my family is my brother who cant understand english yet.
humanity: "everyday we stray further from god"

Oct 20, 2016 9:35 AM

My father didn't wait for my birth to watch japanese animation. He liked sci-fi in general so he had no problem watching a french sci-fi animated movie like Laloux's works, japanese-french Ulysses, a Harlock (Herlock?) or even Grendizer (Nagai's mecha). Later came the animated Cobra but by that time he already expanded upon various animated shônen jump thanks to baby me watching kids shows broadcasting anything (at that time, I was watching City Hunter with him and he was the only one liking it).

Thanks to legislation, anime almost disappeared except for a few "adult " titles: he didn't like Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop (this one, thanks to its lack of "story to follow"). When I started to order VHS boxes, he watched Slayers with me. And when we reached the golden age of fansub and DVD boxes (2000s) and he discovered me watching new St Seiya material, he started again to watch almost anything I was introducing to my little brother (while my mother kept saying it wasn't appropriate for 5-10year old children)

Oct 20, 2016 12:24 PM

I kind of forced my father to watch Inuyasha with me when I was 12. He said the animtion was good and rather than that? Well, he had no idea what haooened. He fell asleep. Not long ago I watched Kuroshitsuji Book of Murder with him and he said he quiet enjoyed, though it looks awfully familier. He said he doesn't really care to watch things with me (preferably movies. He can't finish a series) even if animated as long as it's interesting.

Oct 20, 2016 1:07 PM

Watched Death Note and Code Geass with my dad and older brother. Recommended Baccano but we never got around to it.

Oct 20, 2016 1:15 PM

i watched Erased, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Barakamon, Hunter x Hunter, and some One Piece with my mom.
Modified by Roronoa, Oct 20, 2016 1:21 PM
no

Oct 20, 2016 3:55 PM

Noope. They probably frown upon it for a number of reasons: Animation Age Ghetto ("animated works are for children!"), too relatively upstanding (compared to "anime is naughty tentacles"), too not-really-into-various-media, and especially, no time for that nonsense.

Oct 20, 2016 4:00 PM

shoujogod said:
I think I'd be a bit embarrassed to watch with them, but my mom has shown some interest in asking me and my brother about it and such. My dad is a big nerd (Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) so I definitely think he could stand watching anime, but I guess neither side has genuinely asked/invited the other to watch anime together.

I'm thinking of starting them off on One Punch Man, since OPM is pretty much it's own entity that western watchers are more open to watching. It's easy to understand, fun, and has minimal "typical anime" moments. Plus they like superheroes, so eh why not!

May I instead recommend Boku no Hero Academia and THEN One Punch Man, because the latter is a parody?

Oct 20, 2016 4:21 PM

RedTie said:
I don't actually and it's not something I'd do in the future. I think it is more relaxing when I watch alone plus there are themes I'm a fan of that my parents probably wouldn't be interested in.

Wouldn't be interested in, wouldn't approve of, or both? ;)

Oct 20, 2016 4:32 PM

My mother dislikes anything that resembles an anime character. She hates the "huge eyes and sharp lines" for some reason or another. That said, until about three months ago, she was also convinced that all anime were "like Spongebob." With no small degree of concealed indignation, I quickly corrected this misconception.

On the other hand, I showed my dad the first two episodes of Steins;Gate a few weeks ago, and he showed what I think was legitimate interest. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a time when we're both able to watch it. We'll probably get around to it eventually.

In general, though, I don't watch anime with my parents. Why? For the same reason I don't generally play video games while they're around: I hate having to explain myself when they view things out of context, and I hate the looks I get when some of the tropes come up (i.e. fan-service.)

I also think my mom would stop speaking to me for a week if she saw more than two minutes of Tokyo Ghoul.
Modified by Phendrus, Oct 20, 2016 10:08 PM
For a variety of reasons, I have retired from the majority of these forums. I won't be participating in threads outside of the recommendations subforums, nor will I be responding to quotes outside of those subforums.

You're free to quote my other, past posts to your heart's content: just be aware that I won't be reading your replies, let alone responding to them.

Oct 20, 2016 4:37 PM

Imagine watching Prison school or kiss x sis with parents

Oct 20, 2016 9:58 PM

There is too much of a generation gap in my family. And/or we just don't get along. I avoid doing anything together with my parents, unless it's cooking.

I did watch anime together with my brother, but most of the time our tastes are just too different.

Oct 20, 2016 10:01 PM
fanservice<3

JustALEX said:
WHO THE FUCK WOULD WATCH ANIME WITH THEIR PARENTS?!?!?

WHY?!?!?

ikr? i don't masturbate next to my parents ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lol

Oct 20, 2016 10:08 PM

My dad watches anime, but doesn't want to watch them with me. It pretty weird considering how he recommended me to watch Gundam Seed and Gundam 00. I would like to watch them with my dad, but again he doesn't want to watch them with me.

Oct 20, 2016 10:21 PM

I watched Death Note with my mom and we both really enjoyed it. We also watched a few Studio Ghibli films together

Oct 20, 2016 10:28 PM

Only movies. My dads the actionflick kind of guy. I remember when I was really young, we went to the theaters down in chinatown to watch some anime movies like Perfect Blue, Escaflowne, Princess Mononoke and Jin-Roh. He also had several VHS of older action movies/OVAs like Ninja Scroll, Crying Freeman, Spriggan, Gyver and Wicked City.

He doesn't really watch anything related to anime anymore but I'm sure he'd enjoy movies like Sword of the Stranger.

Oct 20, 2016 10:33 PM

I don't watch anime with my parents because either one of them doesn't like watching anime and would just say it's just for kids :3

I would most likely see anime with my own kids :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Oct 20, 2016 10:38 PM
I've never watched anything with my parents, but I feel like you should watch a series completely first just in case it takes a weird turn. Like I love anime, but every now and then it does some stuff that could make it a little awkward with parents.

Oct 20, 2016 11:34 PM

actually, it was my mom that got me into anime.

she grew up with Sailor Moon(yes, the DiC dub), Speed Racer, Ultraman, etc, so she was cool with me and my bro watching Digimon and Pokemon as kids. she actually tried to get my bro into DBZ at one point however he was never interested in it until lately(mostly because of the artist as the same one who did DQ) sadly she drifted away from anime in favor of UK entertainment....

nowadays me and my bro watch anime in a different mostly so mom doesn't get upset at certain things like fanservice-y costumes(she went on a mini rant about how sexual the japanese are when my copy of Sonika came in), violence(oh lordy thank goodness she never saw parts of Eureka 7) and even language(let's just say she got more then a little surprised when she heard that one old guy in Cowboy Bebop curse up a storm in the second episode) however she does enjoy Ghibli films, Yokai Watch and enjoyed both The Yokai Watch Movie and Digimon Adventure Tri(especially the latter, the plot really interested her)

i've thought of watching Digimon with her more then a few times, but there are some scenes that she'd go ''wut'' at, such as the crotch monster in the 3rd arc of Adventure 01, the latter parts of Adventure 02 and Tamers. i thought of showing her Love live as well but Nozomi's groping habit would probably make her think i'm a perv lol.
"The more I see, the less I understand."
If you need idol anime recommendations hmu fam
Somehow I forgot to put this in when I redid my forum sig but, I don't reply to forum posts sorry. I just like to drop my opinion in and leave because I have a lot more to do in my life then waste my time arguing online.

Oct 21, 2016 12:11 AM

My sister put on 3 episodes of Death Note on Netflix once trying to get my dad interested, she said he liked it enough but she got busy and didn't put it on again and I think he forgot about it.

My dad watched a subbed episode of Attack on Titan on his own off Netflix once and he didn't see what was so great about it though I don't think he liked watching it subbed either since Netflix didn't have the dub for some stupid reason.

My dad rented Ghost in the Shell once and he fell asleep during it (though it was after work on a Friday, he usually falls asleep then while watching TV) and all he remembered was that Mokoto was naked within the first few seconds of the movie.

My sister was watching Durarara off Netflix in the living room once and he walked by and commented that it was a violent show (despite that fact that he watched The Walking Dead) also they curse a lot in the dub of Durarara which didn't help things, she quit watching it in the living room then, she was 16 to. She watched some of it with my mom, my mom couldn't really get into it but I don't think she minded it.

My sister wanted to see the Psycho-Pass movie in theaters (I had already seen it online) and so we were planning to go to this movie theater 35 minutes away from us to go see it and my dad just randomly tagged along with us and he saw it and commented that it was really violent and had pacing issues (the pacing issues kind of annoyed me to but I went just so I could see a anime movie in theaters) but I don't think he cared for it in the end. He saw some random episode of the TV show when my sister was streaming it off Netflix in the living room once (though she played the less violent episode around him) I think the though it was okay.

I rented Steamboy over the summer, my dad actually liked it but commented that it was long.

He actually rented Robotech (a 80's dub of the original Macross anime) and he actually liked it enough to keep watching it and my and my sister also watched it with him. My mom also saw some random episodes of it and didn't really care for it but would watch it if she was board. My dad actually finished it and liked it decently well, there was a few character he found kind of annoying thoguh but I blame most of that on the 80's dub quality.

My sister has rented various Ghibli movies and watched some of them around my mom (My dad didn't care to see most of them) my mom and dad saw, Whispers of the Heart, they though it was okay and down to earth, they were surprised to see an anime using a John Denver song in it to as they are huge fans of him, (I was surprised to hear it the first time I saw it as well) they also both saw when Marnie was there, my dad said it was sad, I'm not sure what my mom though. My sister watched The Cat returns with my mom, she though it was okay. My sister watched Howls Moving Castle with my mom and she though it was weird (to be honest I find that one overrated a swell but I still enjoyed it some). My sister watched Kiki's delivery service with my mom, she found it okay. My sister watched Castle in the Sky with my mom, she though it was weird. My sister watched The Secret World Of Arrietty with my mom, she though it was okay. We also watched the Lupin III : The Castle Of Cagliostro with her but we ended up renting the Manga Entertainment dub with the cursing and while it doesn't have too much it stood out more with it being a family friendly movie otherwise.

My sister had actually rented The Wind Rises and my dad actually put it on because he actually knew about the engineer that it stared as he is obsessed with WWII stuff, especially planes. I think he liked it pretty well.

Oh course my mom watched some Pokemon with us as kids, we still watch it but she doesn't keep up with it as much as it's getting stupid that Ash has lost every important league for 20 years and she finds Celmont and Bonnie annoying in the new series. I think she was interested up until Diamond and Pearl started though.

My sister also watched some random Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood episode around my dad and he didn't seem interested in it but didn't act like nothing was wrong with it.

As a kid my mom watched Astroboy and Speed Racer and my dad watched Speed Racer so me and my sister saw Speed Racer as kids as they got the full series and loved it. My mom bought some Astroboy seires off Amazon awhile ago, it turned out it was actually the 2000's series though she is still apparently interested in it, she hasn't watched it yet though.

Also back in the 80's when my dad was in college there was apparently some nerdy guy on campus that told my dad about some movie called Space Battleship Yamato where they had some WWII ship in space. about 25 years later my dad rented it, I think he thoguh it was okay.

Typically me and my sister watch most of are naime in are rooms as are parents are actually pretty religious so it's annoying/awkward if a lot of demons or fanservice or violence or whatever shows up in an anime so we just mostly prefer to watch it in are rooms.

My sister is considering trying Monster with my dad sometime though, none of us have quite gotten around to watching it yet though so we aren't 100% if he would like it or not.

Oct 21, 2016 1:14 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

I rewatched Death Note, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie with my mother. She really enjoyed all of them, especially the Ghibli films. I plan on showing her Berserk and Ghost in the Shell soon.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Oct 21, 2016 1:16 AM

They see anime as cartoons and think both are childish but I don't have any intention of changing their opinion. Unless they actually ask me for it I won't show them any anime.
Planetes said:
Living alone and dying alone... alone... How could anyone be satisfied with that? It's stupid... Space is too big to face all alone.

Oct 21, 2016 1:19 AM

can't say I have plus some of the anime I plan to watch would be a little awkward to watch with them
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was, to watch them is my real test, to complete them is my cause, I will travel around the web searching far and wide, each episode to understand, the plot that's deep inside, anime, its you and me, I know its my destiny, I watch you, you teach me, Jap-an-ese, ANIME, gotta watch em all!

Oct 21, 2016 1:21 AM

razortongue said:
I rewatched Death Note, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie with my mother. She really enjoyed all of them, especially the Ghibli films. I plan on showing her Berserk and Ghost in the Shell soon.
I wouldn't recommend showing her Berserk if she doesn't like gore or violence. Moreover it doesn't have an end yet and would be kinda unsatisfactory to watch an anime without an end. Maybe you should try something like Jin-rou to see if she is okay with violence in anime.
Planetes said:
Living alone and dying alone... alone... How could anyone be satisfied with that? It's stupid... Space is too big to face all alone.

Oct 21, 2016 1:24 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

zal said:
razortongue said:
I wouldn't recommend showing her Berserk if she doesn't like gore or violence. Moreover it doesn't have an end yet and would be kinda unsatisfactory to watch an anime without an end. Maybe you should try something like Jin-rou to see if she is okay with violence in anime.

My mom's cool with gore to an extent (she liked Game of Thrones and Battle Royale but really dislikes the horror genre for the most part) so I think she'd have a problem with the gore. Regardless, you are right about the ending.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Oct 21, 2016 1:30 AM

razortongue said:
zal said:

My mom's cool with gore to an extent (she liked Game of Thrones and Battle Royale but really dislikes the horror genre for the most part) so I think she'd have a problem with the gore. Regardless, you are right about the ending.
When talking about gore and violence I was thinking at the events during and after the Eclipse that I imagine might be a bit exaggerated for most people. If the anime ended at ep 24 of the 97' series I wouldn't have said anything.
Planetes said:

Oct 21, 2016 10:18 AM

MattKitsune96 said:
My sister is considering trying Monster with my dad sometime though, none of us have quite gotten around to watching it yet though so we aren't 100% if he would like it or not.

At 74 episodes, it's quite a stretch for someone rather indifferent to anime. Yes, Monster can be quite compelling at times, but still it's a long haul. For a long series, I'd suggest Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") about two Japanese brothers who become astronauts and train at NASA. While it's 99 episodes long, it's presented in arcs of half-a-dozen episodes or so. It's easier to watch in chunks than Monster.

Here are some shorter options. First a couple with continuous stories:
Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - nice mix of comedy, action, and magic with adult characters
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi ("ERASED") - guy in his twenties goes back in time to prevent the death of a girl he knew in middle school

These are more episodic:
Usagi Drop - slice-of-life story about a 30-yo single guy who informally adopts the illegitimate five-year-old daughter of his deceased grandfather
Bartender - depending on your parents' attitudes about alcohol this is one of the best "healing" anime intended for adult viewers
Death Parade - dead people arrive in a type of purgatory that looks like a bar and play games like darts to determine their final destination
Mononoke - short stories about a travelling medicine seller who slays demons; set in the Edo period

Of these, I think Bahamut, ERASED, and Death Parade have, or will have dubs. The others are only subtitled. Bartender is available on YouTube:

I've left Baccano! and Black Lagoon off the list since they are both pretty bloody, and Black Lagoon has some difficult moments, especially the "Hansel and Gretel" arc. The author of Durarara also wrote the manga for Baccano!. You or your sister might give them a look to see whether they would appeal to your parents or not. I liked them, but I'm pretty tolerant of a wide range of material. I also wasn't ever a big John Denver fan either. :)

I also didn't see Princess Mononoke on the list of Ghibli films you've all watched. I think that's the best of the lot. Like you, Howl didn't do much for me.
Modified by SeijiSensei, Oct 21, 2016 10:27 AM

Jun 20, 2017 7:42 AM
Well I Really Don't Feel Comfortable Watching Anime There Gonna Think I'm Watching Porn Or Something So I Rather Just Watch It By My Self But My Step Brother Watches Boku No Hero With me And It's Not So Bad I Kinda Enjoy Having Someone With me To Watch Anime.

Jun 20, 2017 7:44 AM

no I haven't and wouldn't. I would only consider trying to get them to watch with me if it's an anime I've already watched and I'm sure there aren't any random ecchi moments

Jun 20, 2017 7:44 AM

no I haven't and wouldn't. I would only consider trying to get them to watch with me if it's an anime I've already watched and I'm sure there aren't any random ecchi moments

Jun 20, 2017 7:50 AM

you mean, watching weird cartoons with my parents? lol this isn happening

at least im waiting for kimi no na wa bluray to watch it with my mother

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »