Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 8, 2017 4:52 PM
Apr 2017
Since I'm still rather young, my parents are really strict about what I watch with them, and if it's not PG they have to approve of it. However, I went to watch My Neighbor Totoro when it was showing in my local Cinemark with my mom, my siblings, and my friends and my mom seemed to like it a lot. However, before that, I watched Mononoke Hime with them, and they weren't huge fans. My parents let me buy Toradora! on the family room TV a few weeks back. My dad didn't really like it (probably because "the eyes were too big") and my mom didn't really pay attention. If you are at the age where your parents don't really care what you watch, here are a few things you can watch:

Baccano!
Fullmetal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop
Any Ghibli Film
Something mainstream (except Fairy Tail)
Death Note (if your parents don't mind the whole anti hero concept)
Code Geass

Just nothing with ecchi scenes, k? <3
starfallcrystalJul 8, 2017 5:07 PM
Jul 8, 2017 5:01 PM

Mar 2017
well there was 1 time when my mother and sister was watching AoT with me. and we started atepisode 1 where Eren's mother got rekt. lol
Jul 8, 2017 5:36 PM

Aug 2015
I'm always in the living room watching anime and sometime they would be there with me. They're constantly complaining that I need to grow up and stop watching cartoons. Or that I should "at least put a show in Mandarin on" for them.
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Jul 8, 2017 8:32 PM

Jun 2017
My dad wouldn't watch death note with me, but when he saw the live action trailor, he said he would watch that when it comes out. Just because it's animated he thinks it's a cartoon. :0
Jul 8, 2017 8:41 PM

Aug 2015
My mum will occasionally watch an anime movie with me. I tried getting her to watch steins;gate once, i told her about it while i was rewatching it. then she came over to check it out. And she managed to look at the one scene where Kurisu and Mayuri are having a bath. One 5 second clip out of 24 episodes. Now she refuses to watch it because she thinks its about anime girls doing sexy things :|
Jul 11, 2017 8:55 PM

Feb 2017
I can watch Anime in my room but I prefer watching it on the big TV in my house's living room. Mom sometimes tries to sit down and watch with me too, I don't mind anyway :D. Somehow, the "Anime time" gives us a quite relaxing atmosphere where we can start talking and sharing a bit since I'm not a talkative person at home. Normally it started by explaining what anime is that or why they react too dramatically like that...Lately, Mom does enjoy Toriko (I feel really surprised about this, maybe cus it's about cooking).
Jul 15, 2017 12:39 PM

Apr 2014
When I was like 6-7 my dad always watched pokémon with me, if that counts. He didn't like it tho. My mum tried to watch Death Note with me and my sister. "This is what you're doing with your free time ? That's messed up." That was her reaction. And then we never attempted or talked about it ever again lol.
Jul 15, 2017 12:41 PM

May 2017
Watched Saint Seiya with my parents when I was a kid since it's their favorite anime from where they were younger.
Now Im 20, at college, and my mother keeps saying "you're still watching that shit for kids?" everytime she comes into my room and Im watching anime xD
Hunter x Hunter best anime and Killua Zoldyck best boy <3 Addicted to cute shotas and teens with special powers in fantasy manga and manhua
Jul 15, 2017 12:47 PM
Jun 2017
I've tried to get my mom to watch Your Lie in April and Death Note cause I know she likes those kind of stories but before she even tries them, she says "I hate everything animation". I hate how a lot of people won't watch anime for that reason alone. Like society brainwashing people into thinking anything animated is for kids.
Jul 15, 2017 12:55 PM

Oct 2016
I wish I could watch with my parents, but my folks see anime as cartoons for kids or whatever
Jul 15, 2017 12:59 PM

Mar 2017
My mother has made it clear that she is not interested in watching anime. I get the feeling she just regards it as a "kids" genre. But at the same time, she gives warnings about not watching "older shows". She also says she trusts me to make the right choice regarding what to watch. I love my mother.
"I'll take the guards."
Jul 15, 2017 1:14 PM

Sep 2009
Well *deep sigh* my mom is more into Korean drama, like she's obsessed with it. In other hand she thinks anime is a cartoon which is only for children. So i have my older sis in my hand ;p she enjoys to watching anime a lot even though not a fan like me anyway.

is that counts OP?
VargnattJul 15, 2017 1:18 PM

Jul 15, 2017 1:17 PM

Oct 2016
My mom watched the Secret World of Arrietty because it was based off of The Borrowers, and my dad seemed to like the first episode of Psycho-Pass, but for the most part they don't really care much about anime either way.
On the other hand, I've gotten my little brother into a lot of shows (Soul Eater, Noragami, and Parasyte are his favorites). The first anime he watched was actually Wolf Children, and I think the fact that it was able to make him cry so hard at the end was what made him start respecting anime in the first place.
Jul 15, 2017 1:20 PM

Dec 2016
My parents would have a hard time reading subs and an even harder time paying attention to dubs because English isn't their first language, so I most likely will never watch anime with them.
Jul 15, 2017 1:27 PM

Apr 2016
I learned from snooping on my mom's computer she watches hentai ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Or at least she did 7 years ago.

Neither of my parents watch anime, or have interest in it. I watch alone in my bedroom with headphones on. Occasionally my younger brother will ask me what I am watching. My uncle loves anime, so I occasionally watch with him. Sadly couldn't get him into Violence Jack...which he walked in on the rape scene cause he forgot something for his college classes. So I mean he probs thinks it's a hentai.
Jul 15, 2017 5:54 PM

May 2016
I occasionally give my mom anime recommendations and let her borrow my blu rays/DVDs.
So far, she's seen Kino's Journey, Ghost in the Shell (the original movie), Paprika, and is currently watching Lupin III: The Woman called Fujiko Mine.
Jul 15, 2017 6:22 PM

Nov 2011
Nah my mom doesn't like anything animated for the most part. She's also someone who stops paying attention to everything and has to have half the show explained to her, and I just get too annoyed doing that.

Jul 15, 2017 8:21 PM

Aug 2016
I made my mom watch fairy tail with me awhile ago when I was obsessed with the series, she got really into it too and loved gray.
Other than that no, but I watch anime a lot in the past and now with my brother but I don't watch anime with my parents.

Jul 15, 2017 11:22 PM

Apr 2017
Well I haven't watched anime with my parents, but I'm definitely turning my son into an anime elitist and have him here in MAL.

No, I never have. My mother probably wouldn't bring herself to watch animation. I guess my father could like something like Monster, but it is too long for him to watch.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2017 1:14 AM

Oct 2015
Watching Anime with Parents ? Yeah that will never happen for me

Click the spinning
ghost for delivery (~‾▽‾)~
Jul 16, 2017 1:37 AM

Jan 2017
i don't understand why most of you made your parents watch kids shonen anime like I don't think that is the best way to introduce them in the anime world

anyway with my mom yes with my dad no he make to many stupid jokes
AkerakaaaaiJul 21, 2017 1:50 PM
Jul 16, 2017 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
Oh hell yea. I watch anime with my family all the time.

Most of my immediate family actually enjoys anime to some extent. My dad and sister especially. My dad even named me after a character from Final Fantasy. Last night we finished watching Another together, and he wants to watch the Fate series with me sometime. We're also planning on watching Watamote soon. (Though I've already seen that one.)

I consider myself lucky to have nerdy parents. We can do fun dad/daughter stuff. Like go to conventions in cosplay together. Or this one time, he bought an explicit yuri manga for me because he could tell I was kinda awkward about buying that sorta thing. So he did it for me.

I'm so blessed.
Jul 17, 2017 4:07 AM

Apr 2017
I wouldn't watch it with them, because I usually like watching things alone, but it would be cool if they tried to get into it.
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Jul 17, 2017 8:28 AM

Jun 2012
My parents could care less. My favorite anime is definitely up their alley (ie nature) but that alone dictates they'd have little to no interest in watching anime nevermind my number one is subbed & slow paced.
I might be able to get them to watch Princess Mononoke & other Ghibli films, possibly even Moribito but that'd be the extent of it.
Jul 17, 2017 11:25 PM

Feb 2017
My family, both my parents actually watch anime and other cartoons with me because we're a small family, sharing cherish moments together since I was a little girl. I usually watched anime on TV when we have dinner because back to those past years, I didn't have the Internet connection to stream or watch online :(.

My mother was even into the anime that she kept asking me about the details and we discussed together - those were old good memories.

We often followed the series of Sakura, One Piece, Sailor Moon. Now we still keeping that good manner of watching Conan and Doraemon.

Feel like we are all kids again :)
Jul 18, 2017 7:17 AM

Aug 2007
My parents do not watch anime with me. It was a sorprise my mom acepted to go with me to the cinema to watch Koe to katachi.
Jul 18, 2017 8:12 AM

Mar 2017
★I watched Pokémon on TV with my mum when I was little. My dad isn't interested in anything except news and sports -_-
★My brother loves anime so much as me, but the last time I watched anime with him was when I was little and we watched Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon.
★My eldest cousin loves anime too.

I'd watch anime with my parents if it's like Ghibli Studio movies or similar to them, if not then I wouldn't because I'd be too embarrassed :''D
Jul 18, 2017 8:21 AM
Jul 2017
No... but I sometimes watch with my sister.

Except we have different tastes in anime.

My parents think film and animation is the work of the devil. T-T
Jul 21, 2017 12:07 PM
Apr 2017
RealmOMFG said:
Oh hell yea. I watch anime with my family all the time.

Most of my immediate family actually enjoys anime to some extent. My dad and sister especially. My dad even named me after a character from Final Fantasy. Last night we finished watching Another together, and he wants to watch the Fate series with me sometime. We're also planning on watching Watamote soon. (Though I've already seen that one.)

I consider myself lucky to have nerdy parents. We can do fun dad/daughter stuff. Like go to conventions in cosplay together. Or this one time, he bought an explicit yuri manga for me because he could tell I was kinda awkward about buying that sorta thing. So he did it for me.

I'm so blessed.

You're so lucky!! I wish my parents were like that. I want to get my dad into Fullmetal Alchemist, though.
Jul 21, 2017 1:04 PM
Berserkfan69

May 2017
My dad was the one who got me into anime so ya,...
Jul 21, 2017 1:10 PM

Mar 2017
My brother (who is 26) still enjoys anime, although most of them are mainstream. I'd imagine if I could find one with no fanservice, it'd be easier to watch an anime with him.
I've also recommended him a couple of anime for when he has time off.
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Jul 21, 2017 1:22 PM

Jul 2016
I played the Noragami Aragoto op in the car, my dad loved it and said he wants to watch it with me. He enjoyed the first season so much that he watched the second season by himself and he's waiting for the third.
Jul 21, 2017 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
I watched a couple of films with my family: Kotonoha no Niwa and Sakasama no Patema. I think they liked it
Jul 21, 2017 1:26 PM

Aug 2015
My mom is a big fan of Studio Ghibli films.. When I started watching anime, I always watch these films together with my mom. She also watch CG both seasons as well.
Jul 21, 2017 1:46 PM
Sep 2016
Both of my parents were into anime before I was. I remember watching Macross with my dad when I was little (or Robotech, as we knew it). Also, my mom told me she watched Eva while pregnant with me.

Nowadays, my dad still watches mecha once in a while, though he's also seen AOT, Fate/Zero/UBW and Elfen Lied (and probably others beyond my knowledge). My mom watches and reads a lot of school romance, but she's also enjoyed my recommendations: Steins Gate, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Shinsekai Yori, Katanagatari, to name a few. I even watched the Kizumonogatari movies with her. Re-watching these series was pretty fun, didn't really get awkward.
Jul 21, 2017 1:55 PM

Apr 2015
I'm going to see Kiki's Delivery Service with my mom on Sunday. Should be a good time. Haven't seen it myself, but Ghibli movies are always pretty safe.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 21, 2017 2:50 PM

Dec 2015
No, I don't think they like it. Also when my father see what me and my brother watch, he always say why we watching this things for kids.

set by taiyaki

Jul 21, 2017 3:38 PM
Apr 2016
My dad got me on anime when i was around 5 with dragonballz so yeah we watch anime together.
Jul 21, 2017 3:41 PM

Jan 2017
My father watches anime, he likes the Studio Ghibli stuff and we are watching Yamato 2199 together. Saw Kimi no Na wa with me. My mom will watch if it is in English. They know and see me watch it and they don't mind.
Jul 21, 2017 3:50 PM

Dec 2012
I think I'm gonna go watch some Highschool DxD with my mom
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 21, 2017 3:58 PM

Nov 2014
My mom watched a bunch of Studio Ghibli with me with English Dubs, I think she liked Princess Mononoke the most. She doesn't like listening to subbed anime though, as I found when I first started watching the anime on Netflix in the living room.

Unfortunately, she was there while this scene from SAO was playing out... she doesn't think very highly of anime anymore.
Jul 21, 2017 4:06 PM
Jun 2017
I watch anime occasionally with my mum, however I always make sure to watch them fully before I show them to her. I'm not about traumatising my mum any time soon, although she does have an annoying habit of asking what I'm watching as I'm currently viewing it and then joining herself. Baring in mind I could be on episode 3 or 21 which often leads to comments of whatever anime being boring or confusing. What's also a bit fustrating is she refuses to watch subbed anime.
Jul 21, 2017 4:40 PM

May 2009
My parents watched Death Note and the first 300+ episodes of Detective Conan with me and my sister :3
What I like about those times is that my mom would definitely cook/bake something so that we have something to eat while watching :D

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Jul 24, 2017 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
My parents don't even know what anime is
Jul 25, 2017 1:34 AM

Jul 2015
I don't even live with my parents anymore and even if I did, I have no reason to watch anime with them lol. But my mom once watched Death Note because I told her she probably would enjoy it aaand she really did, but I haven't recommended her much else because she doesn't have a good attention span.
Jul 25, 2017 3:13 PM

Dec 2014
I've watched anime with my 2 little brothers and a little sister for years... And we do it almost daily, tough the time got shorter as we got older and more busy.
Back in the days my father used to watch Naruto with me on Jetix... he liked it, and like Rock Lee a lot.
Mother saw some episodes of different anime, in the past when I watched Animax, bt she never got into or understood them...
Nov 24, 2017 8:26 AM
Nov 2017
My mom watched anime for the first time with me when I´m started to get into it, I guess it was vigilance thing, it was Hakkenden touhou hakken ibun (she never watched it completely).
However, she actually likes some of them Bleach, Yowamushi Pedal, Code geass and Uta no prince-sama. We also watched together Clannad, White album, 07 ghost , Air, Kanon, Zankyou no terror and Ranpo Kitan Game of Laplace.
Nov 24, 2017 1:58 PM

Jan 2016
My parents are slightly otaku themselves. As Oremonogatari was airing I watched it with them on the chromecast, similarly to the OP, along with Silver Spoon and Shirokuma cafe (and bizarrely the obscure Ojisan to Marshmallow as well... yeah, don't ask). I've also watched some anime films with them too, most notably Ghibli films when I was younger.
I think I watched the first episodes of Attack on Titan and Death Note with them too but I don't think either of them interested them.

I guess I'm rather a minority.
Nov 29, 2017 5:51 AM

Sep 2017
If I have children then i'll do this with them. Im pretty sure parallel world nymi already has a family at this point.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

36 by CheesyJen »»
2 minutes ago

» Would your husbando wash your dirty feet?

Catalano - 3 minutes ago

0 by Catalano »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

63 by DigiCat »»
5 minutes ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 1 hour ago

2 by trinitroglycerin »»
5 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 9 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.