Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 6, 2016 1:12 AM

Oct 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What a explosive chapter! Bertholdt was pretty badass in this chapter. Also Reiner is still alive and kicking, but he my not be out of the woods just yet, because a group of scouting legion redshirts are going to try and finish him off before he fully regenerates. Really thought you were dead Reiner.

Reiner be like, "lol you guys thought I was dead, but my plot armor knows no bounds"

It seems the best way to finish Reiner off is either make Eren devour him, Or use the serum that levi has and turn someone other than levi and Mikasa more preferable Jean into a mindless titan and devour Reiner. That seems to be the Best option.
keragammingFeb 7, 2016 11:46 PM
Feb 7, 2016 3:57 AM

Feb 2013
You gotta be fucking kidding me.
Feb 7, 2016 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
Dat mikasa vs bertholdt fight doe.
Feb 7, 2016 6:32 PM

Nov 2012
This chapter felt really short
Damn it's the second time Mikasa tries to one-shot a shifter in human form and fails. The fight was pretty cool though.

For a second there I thought Bertholdt would self-destruct, he was thinking about being determined to die and the explosion was way bigger than all the previous ones... but that would be too easy I guess. My only guess is that he was training to increase his explosion aoe. Also, I wonder how he was even able to take a look from within the barrel and see Reiner, I mean, I know there are holes but still considering the angle and the altitude I find it a bit of a stretch. Reiner surviving by transferring his "mind" into the nervous system... I really didn't like that, kind of an asspull. I can accept that you cut off the titan body's brain and he can still regenerate it, but cutting off the shifter's brain and still being alive is too much.

In another site I read some crazy theory: the ape titan is controlling the shifters a la Reiss and now that Reiner had his brain destroyed and regenerating would snap out of the mind control and help Eren kill the colossal titan. Not keen on the idea because why would they want the coordinate then (unless theirs only works on shifters, of course), but who knows.

4/5 for nervous system asspull
Pls be alive Hanji :C
kchorrex2012Feb 8, 2016 5:03 AM
Feb 8, 2016 12:40 PM

Jan 2015
So Berthold became cold blooded huh. Not nervous and he might've killed Reiner with the Blast?? :/
Feb 8, 2016 12:46 PM
Oct 2014
I think Reiner rolling over was meant to save him from the blast.
Feb 8, 2016 1:20 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Since when can Bertholt face Mikasa one on one in human form? Felt a bit too forced to be honest. Not to mention Reiner's plot armour.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 8, 2016 1:33 PM

Oct 2013
Farabeuf said:
Since when can Bertholt face Mikasa one on one in human form? Felt a bit too forced to be honest. Not to mention Reiner's plot armour.

http://i.imgur.com/LNcFEAc.jpg bertholdt was always a skill soldier but his personality doesn't make him shine. He also came 3rd in the 104th squad. Not forced. It was foreshadowed perfectly.
Feb 8, 2016 1:35 PM

Oct 2014
Man, I'm so pumped every time a new Chapter comes out. This felt kind of short, but it was also the best in a while. Got so excited, thaught that Reiner was dead :o
But !
This huge explosion while transforming into the colossal Titan. Wasn't that too much ? I mean, when he transformed outside of the wall, when Eren first tried to fight him, there wasn't such kind of eplosion up in the air.
Well, since it's just for scenery and looked very cool... I think it's ok
Man, I can't wait for the next Chapter. Please Hange be alive Q_Q
Feb 8, 2016 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
Bertholdt is annoying even when he's not a wuss. Damn it Mikasa, you could have ended my suffering.
Feb 8, 2016 1:47 PM
Nov 2009
Bertolt at full confidence can handle Mikasa. Keith was right. It seems that Bertolt shifted in some sort of super colossal titan. The explosion is way more powerful than when he shifted at the beginning of the manga in Shiganshina and Trost, and even when he exploded in chapter 44/45 it wasn't as powerful as this one. He's also way bigger. From the size of the houses near him I would say 200 meters high. And he seems to have normal feet! When we saw his legs at the beginning of the manga he basically had elephant legs. Or maybe Isayama redesigned him a little bit to make it more menacing like he did with the armored titan.

Also some of you might be confused or a bit irritated by the overpowered capacity that Reiner used in the last chapters : being able to move his consciousness in his nervous system and regenerating a whole head. But first let's remember chapter 51 in which Hanji discuss what is inside the neck of the titans. At this point we know that all titans were former humans and that the the human's nervous system merges with the titan and becomes the weak point since this is the only remain of the original human. Now let's go back to when Ymir became human again. She was a titan for 60 years, but after eating Marcel she became a shifter and recovered her human form. This implies that a shifter is able to completely regenerate his/her body (freckles included) as long as the nervous system is intact inside the titan (despite having merged with the titan). This is why Reiner is able to regenerate his head.

As for the capacity of moving his consciouness, let's not forget that the titans and the shifters's anatomies and powers revolve around their nervous sytem. Combinated with the fact this is a world in which memory manipulation is possible, the capacity of moving consciouness (including memories and such) is not that farfechted to a certain extent. « Especially » when the human body of a shifter is directly connected to his titan. This might come out of nowhere, but the powers of the shifters have always been unpredictable. The female titan's armor, crystallization and scream, the armored titan's capacity to changer his armor, the colossal titan being able to explode, the Beast titan being able to order titans and transform humans into titan,... All of them were unexpected because just like the scouting legion, we don't have information. It's a point that regurarly comes back: the lack of information about the titans and especially the shifters. As Armin said in the previous chapter « We're the one with the overwhelming lack of knowledge ».

Also Hanji please be safe ;_; If I had to make a prediction for the next chapter I would say that Moblit died to protect Hanji. But I don't expect Hanji to get out of the explosion unhurt, and this is where the syringue and the serum that Kenny gave to Levi could becomes useful. If someone had to become a shifter Hanji would be the best choice.

(yes I'm copy pasting my comment everywhere because I think it's useful to those who are confused or irritated by Reiner's ability)
Feb 8, 2016 2:05 PM
Dec 2015
keragamming said:
Farabeuf said:

http://i.imgur.com/LNcFEAc.jpg bertholdt was always a skill soldier but his personality doesn't make him shine. He also came 3rd in the 104th squad. Not forced. It was foreshadowed perfectly.
Mikasa has supersoldier genes but she is no Levi, she is still very inexperienced as she has only been fighting for 4-5 months compared to Levi's 20-25 years (since he started stabbing people when he was still a child).
The RBA trio received intensive training before joining the 104th, that's why they came so close to reaching the top3, they were already "veterans" when they joined. Annie is tied with Mikasa in close combat, and Eren only beat Reiner because he was trained by Annie, as he realized that Reiner was holding back during training.
Mikasa might be superior to the trio in the use of 3DMG but not by much, they are intelligent, in top physical condition and trained in combat so they probably catch up fast new combat styles, the same way an athlete good in one sport is well above the average Joe in almost any other sport he starts practicing.
Feb 8, 2016 2:08 PM

Oct 2013
toutoune134 said:
Bertolt at full confidence can handle Mikasa. Keith was right. It seems that Bertolt shifted in some sort of super colossal titan. The explosion is way more powerful than when he shifted at the beginning of the manga in Shiganshina and Trost, and even when he exploded in chapter 44/45 it wasn't as powerful as this one. He's also way bigger. From the size of the houses near him I would say 200 meters high. And he seems to have normal feet! When we saw his legs at the beginning of the manga he basically had elephant legs. Or maybe Isayama redesigned him a little bit to make it more menacing like he did with the armored titan.

Also some of you might be confused or a bit irritated by the overpowered capacity that Reiner used in the last chapters : being able to move his consciousness in his nervous system and regenerating a whole head. But first let's remember chapter 51 in which Hanji discuss what is inside the neck of the titans. At this point we know that all titans were former humans and that the the human's nervous system merges with the titan and becomes the weak point since this is the only remain of the original human. Now let's go back to when Ymir became human again. She was a titan for 60 years, but after eating Marcel she became a shifter and recovered her human form. This implies that a shifter is able to completely regenerate his/her body (freckles included) as long as the nervous system is intact inside the titan (despite having merged with the titan). This is why Reiner is able to regenerate his head.

As for the capacity of moving his consciouness, let's not forget that the titans and the shifters's anatomies and powers revolve around their nervous sytem. Combinated with the fact this is a world in which memory manipulation is possible, the capacity of moving consciouness (including memories and such) is not that farfechted to a certain extent. « Especially » when the human body of a shifter is directly connected to his titan. This might come out of nowhere, but the powers of the shifters have always been unpredictable. The female titan's armor, crystallization and scream, the armored titan's capacity to changer his armor, the colossal titan being able to explode, the Beast titan being able to order titans and transform humans into titan,... All of them were unexpected because just like the scouting legion, we don't have information. It's a point that regurarly comes back: the lack of information about the titans and especially the shifters. As Armin said in the previous chapter « We're the one with the overwhelming lack of knowledge ».

Also Hanji please be safe ;_; If I had to make a prediction for the next chapter I would say that Moblit died to protect Hanji. But I don't expect Hanji to get out of the explosion unhurt, and this is where the syringue and the serum that Kenny gave to Levi could becomes useful. If someone had to become a shifter Hanji would be the best choice.

(yes I'm copy pasting my comment everywhere because I think it's useful to those who are confused or irritated by Reiner's ability)

^ this guy knows his stuff. The thing with snk you will have to pay a lot of attention to certain details, and not everyone is like that, some people just read it casually without thinking too much into it. Also its a monthly series so it is easy to forget stuff that happens last chapter. Just imagaine older chapters.

That is why some people are confuse that bertholdt was able to fight mikasa, bertholdt was being foreshadowed a long time ago to be a very skill soldier, but most people will forget about little details like that and thus become confuse about it. This actually hurts the series a lot, since a lot of critism for snk are not actually critism but people forgetting minor details that the series had foreshadowed in previous chapters.

I don't really mind the explanantiom for Reiner surviving, but I feel the real reason a lot of people are annoyed about this is because he Survive near death situation twice in just a few chapters inbetween. It's like reiner, is dead, but nope he is not. And then he does the same thing again in the next two chapters. I think it annoys people and kill the mood that people can die anytime.

@BadToTheBone I think you quote the wrong person.
Feb 8, 2016 2:09 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Donno what to feel about this chapter. Mixed feelings. It was good but I'm still not pleased with it. :s

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Feb 8, 2016 2:33 PM

Jul 2014
Let's hope that Reiner survives and they manage to save Annie too. A great bonus would be the death of Eren.
Feb 8, 2016 2:59 PM

Jan 2016
i was really worried that Armin was going to die when he confronted Bertholdt, but it was nice to ACTUALLY see someone who wanted to negotiate with the enemy instead of "shooting first, ask questions later"
I don't mind buffering

I don't mind ads

but when ads buffer, I suffer
Feb 8, 2016 3:19 PM

Mar 2014
I'm disappointed that reiner is not dead. I don't care about the explanation...its getting annoying to see him cheat death again and again.

I like this bertolt better. I was surprised he didn't fall for the same annie crap and actually saw through the plan this time.

I wonder if erwin and levi will step up or do they plan to stand there gaping like idiots the whole time? Hange if not dead, would still be seriously injured so she wouldn't be of any help now. So it all depends on levi squad and erwin now.
Feb 8, 2016 4:02 PM
Mar 2015
Reiner's plot armor is annoying I don't care about the explanation I think it is bullshit. Also I like Bertholdt's character a bit more now.
Feb 8, 2016 4:05 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Armin has some real balls to try to talk to Bertholdt. Whoa, Mikasa went in for the kill! That ear slice was badass. Damn, that explosion. Hopefully Hange's alive.

5/5
Feb 8, 2016 5:24 PM

Nov 2014
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Armin has some real balls to try to talk to Bertholdt. Whoa, Mikasa went in for the kill! That ear slice was badass. Damn, that explosion. Hopefully Hange's alive.

5/5

That ear slice was very badass. I can't wait to see it animated in anime form.

Feb 8, 2016 5:24 PM

Dec 2013
Wish Bertholdt gave some actual reasons but whatever.

Dat Reiner plot armour felt a bit ridiculous but whatever.

At least the ending was cool.
Feb 8, 2016 5:34 PM

Oct 2013
Hisokath said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

5/5

Too bad we won't see it animated until like 2020 in season 3. :(
Feb 8, 2016 5:55 PM

Nov 2014
keragamming said:
Hisokath said:

Too bad we won't see it animated until like 2020 in season 3. :(

Oh, well. That's very faaar awayyy... Like, faar, faar awaaaay.. :-)

Feb 8, 2016 5:58 PM

Dec 2011
He is called Armored Titan for a reason... even he is protected by PLOT armour. Oh my goodness.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2016 5:59 PM
Feb 2016
Hey, could Bertolt be a member of the Ackerman family?, you know, he says that the world is cruel, just like Mikasa did.
He also seems different in this chapter, like he "awakened" or something, something that happens to all the Ackermans, according to Levi.
According to levi, "awakening" is when a power dormant inside of you awakens and you know exactly what "needs to be done. It seems like this happens to Bertolt in this chapter.
Feb 8, 2016 6:04 PM

Nov 2011
OMG, he's still not dead. The fucking Plot Armored Titan.

Feb 8, 2016 6:21 PM

Jun 2015
No...no...not Hange.
no...not like this! no!!!
Feb 8, 2016 6:26 PM

Feb 2011
steph96 said:
No...no...not Hange.

I'm afraid...there's no way a human could have survived this blast.
Forever Berserk
Feb 8, 2016 6:29 PM
Sep 2015
I still think mikasa bad ass she took off this dudes ear if he wasn't a Titan that would of been a good hit
Feb 8, 2016 6:50 PM

Sep 2013
Holy shit.

Good stuff.
Feb 8, 2016 7:17 PM
Jul 2015
ALLAHU BERTBAR!!!!
Feb 8, 2016 7:34 PM

Sep 2013
I'm still annoyed Reiner is alive tbh. I could've ranted on how I wouldn't take the nervous system crap, Isayama came up with (that may work for titans), and kill Hanji. Just no. Hanji ;; But the thing is, Reiner's mandible was still attached, which means his neck is still safe. And we all know that they got to get to the neck to kill. I sigh.

Badassery from Mikasa and Armin tried. I still don't get why they're trying to eradicate all humans inside the wall. Didn't get much info from Bertholdt (gee thanks), who was in a rush to save Reiner ofc. The colossal titan seems different though. We've never really seen it move or walk or anything before. I'm curious to see as to what it can actually do.

Anyways.. another long wait.
Feb 8, 2016 7:37 PM

Jan 2014
@toutoune134 good post. Sums up nicely what happens and what one can expect will happen in the next chapter. Tho 200 meters seems a bit much, maybe? Rod's titan was twice the size of regular colossals and it could not even stand on his own. If that's not a perspective mistake and Bert did train to increase the size of his titan form, then I doubt he'd be that much taller than 100m... Or maybe youre right and he did grow 140 meters taller so that his steam-releasing attack could blow up a large part of the city, who knows...

In any case, if Hange dies I fckn riot. I also didnt expect Reiner to survive this, but in retrospect it's not that surprising : that plot armor power introduced three chapters ago had to come into use at some point. And the fact that the SL were totally unaware of this ability before their enemy were actually forced to use it would also explain why it wasn't introduced earlier. Still don't like it, but Imma shut up about it for now bc I'm hyped as f for chapter 79.
Other than that, it was extremely satisfying to see Bert finally coming into his own and realizing his own potential; and after this chapter, the naysayers wont be able to say that the SL didn't try to negotiate.

@minnydesu dont know about you, but to me it seemed more like Bert was talking about eradicating mankind to give himself the courage/motivation to fight his former comrades than anything else. After all, Reiner did tell Eren back in chapter 42 that they didnt need to wipe out all humans within the walls anymore (bc they found the Coordinate).
SapewlothFeb 8, 2016 7:51 PM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Feb 8, 2016 7:57 PM

Nov 2011
I think Bertholdt is definitely hiding his true powers until now. That transformation was like on almost nuclear-level (the irony of the mushroom cloud as well) so I expect him to be much stronger than they ever fought him before.

Poor Mikasa, she thought that strike might of finished him off.

Interesting chapter, I look forward to the next fight but expecting causalities.
Feb 8, 2016 8:30 PM

Jan 2009
holy shit the Colossal Titan is back, Bertholdt has no hesitation or fear anymore
i hope Hange is alright
and fuck Renier is regenerating
not good for Eren and the rest
Feb 8, 2016 8:35 PM

Sep 2015
Wow! The squad blew up Reiner's head and he's still not dead? I guess people don't die if they are killed.
Feb 8, 2016 8:36 PM

Jan 2009
ya_hallo said:
Wow! The squad blew up Reiner's head and he's still not dead? I guess people don't die if they are killed.

did you miss the explanation of Berthtoldt on how Reiner is still alive?
Feb 8, 2016 8:56 PM

Aug 2012
Bert gives no shits anymore guy just did a nuclear explosion. Hope Hange is alive but that explosion was pretty dam close to Hange.
Feb 8, 2016 10:34 PM

Apr 2010
Savage chapter if Hange doesn't survive. :(
Feb 8, 2016 10:53 PM

Nov 2014
steph96 said:
No...no...not Hange.

My exact thoughts after reading this chapter.
Feb 8, 2016 10:57 PM

Jul 2014
Not sure why people are upset about Bertolt holding his own against Mikasa, he was ranked 3rd in the class and even still got an ear cut off lol id say thats a pretty expected result
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2016 12:16 AM
Oct 2015
Lame chapter with all the plot armor.

Reiner got his brain blown to dust and still lives.

Bertholdt, with eyes behind his head, is able to do a complete 180 turning his entire body to block a blow that would of chopped of his head.
Mavrek32Feb 9, 2016 12:20 AM
Feb 9, 2016 1:06 AM

Aug 2014
Bert unleashing his full potential now. uy's gone savage mode.
"I am going to be the God of the new world" - Light
Feb 9, 2016 1:08 AM

Sep 2014
Reiner still not dead bleh.
I doubt Hange died though, but if she did... I'm gonna kill someone.
Feb 9, 2016 1:41 AM
Dec 2015
The way I'm seeing the fight, I can only think of 3 ways it could go:
-SC loses, Eren gets taken again with most of the cast dead or in hiding.
-Reiner comes back with the soldier persona, fights against Bertholt and somehow all together manage to beat the CT.
-Eren uses the coordinate... but controlling the titan shifters directly would be kind of anticlimatic, so the only way to take out the 2 shifters would be controlling mindless titans... Of which there are none around. What if he controls all the titans that make the walls of shiganshina? could we see all the walls in the surrounding area crumbling at the same time and colossal titans emerging to attack the powered up Bertholt?
Feb 9, 2016 2:19 AM

Aug 2014
Reiner, please just fucking die already.

Bertholdt done turn into a full fledge savage, I'll give him props for holding his own against Mikasa.
(can't say the same for his shit reasoning for killing his "precious comrades")
Feb 9, 2016 2:59 AM

Jan 2016
Plot armor and nerf Mikasa. GJ!!!.....

Can those bastards die already before he comes up with shit to justify what they did, even if that's fuckin impossible.
Feb 9, 2016 3:04 AM
Feb 2016
Lol the writing in this manga has reached Bleach levels of dog shit. I cant wait to laugh at that clown Mikasa's face when he brings this shitty series as a manga where "anyone can die" especially in comparison to manga that is much more consistent about it like jojo
Feb 9, 2016 3:24 AM
Jan 2016
Effin cliffhanger! Please Hanji-san :'( be alive please..

One thing I don't get are the spoilers. I mean, it was spreading that Armin is being forced to choose which side of the two to come with. And so it made me felt so nervous while reading the latest chapter but was like, "where the hell did those spoilers came from?". Enlight me here please.

And the heck. Looks like Bertholdt's gonna make the war a blast more than ever.

This all freaking crazy. For the RBA to fight and wanting to annihilate the people inside the walls without revealing the reason is bullsht. I mean, at least, if it was me, I'd die happily if I only know that dying is for the good.

And crap. Can't wait for the next chapter. Waiting for at least 40 pages in just a month is really annoying..

I hope Hanji-san would still be alive. Please!! PRAYER CIRCLE FOR HANJI!!!!
Feb 9, 2016 3:37 AM
Jan 2016
BadToTheBone said:
The way I'm seeing the fight, I can only think of 3 ways it could go:
-SC loses, Eren gets taken again with most of the cast dead or in hiding.
-Reiner comes back with the soldier persona, fights against Bertholt and somehow all together manage to beat the CT.
-Eren uses the coordinate... but controlling the titan shifters directly would be kind of anticlimatic, so the only way to take out the 2 shifters would be controlling mindless titans... Of which there are none around. What if he controls all the titans that make the walls of shiganshina? could we see all the walls in the surrounding area crumbling at the same time and colossal titans emerging to attack the powered up Bertholt?

That "taking a walk" as referred jokingly by Armin? Pretty cool! A lots of colossal which I think, are shifters themselves would be useless if can't be controlled by Eren himself. The coordinate power isn't still in its fullest. Unless, Eren would be able to go to his basement.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Sep 11, 2011

25 by HenryDanger »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1874 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 22, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.