Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 2, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2012
Age cutoffs are inherently arbitrary, because they divide a continual process into discrete segments. So the answer is that there is no answer, other than "common sense".
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 2, 2016 4:57 PM

Apr 2012
Kit0mi said:
So.. do you think it's ok have sex with 12-13 years old girls?
Yes, why not? Do you have an explanation for why you wouldn't be ok with it if these girls knew what they were doing and fully consented to it?
Josh said:
Age cutoffs are inherently arbitrary, because they divide a continual process into discrete segments. So the answer is that there is no answer, other than "common sense".
So basically, there isn't an answer.

"Common sense" isn't an argument.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 2, 2016 5:02 PM

Sep 2012
Josh said:
It's arbitrary in a contextless biological sense, but not when you factor in the environment of our culture.

18 is the age people graduate high school, and it is at that point that (theoretically) they have the credentials and resources to support themselves, and forge their own paths.
Feb 2, 2016 5:04 PM

May 2013
Angstyfrankie said:
khunter said:

I want to have sex with women, not rape them
And you'll do whatever it takes. Be it lying,playing them on and so forth. When a grown man tricks your teen daughter into sex (telling her what she wants to hear) don't complain about it.

What? First off, that's not limited to me or any man, nor an age group, so that's not a good reason for whatever your argument is. Also, how is it considered trickery? As discussed above, there are different age consents. So, if legal in my state at 16, I am apparently not tricking her, but 15 I am? Telling someone what they want to hear isn't raping them. Why, anyway, is this just about girls though? Funny how a guy tricks a girl in your mind, but girls aren't tricking any 16 year old guys cause guys "know how to trick"
Feb 2, 2016 5:05 PM

May 2013
traed said:
Kit0mi said:
Still a child at 15
Subjective

In Latin America when a girl turns 15 she has her Quinceañera and is considered a woman. In Judaism when a boy becomes 13 they have their Bar Mitzvah and at 12 a girl has her Bat Mitzvah and they are considered accountable for their actions basically considered an adult. People as young as around 12 have been tried as adults in court.

Not to mention what we consider qualifies someone as a child. What about a prodigy? A genius 16 year old? Or a mature 16 year old? Variables people, variables
Feb 2, 2016 5:06 PM

Mar 2008
@Kit0mi
I am not arguing for or against. I am saying that what is considered a child is really subjective. Also the concept of a hard set age is silly. Going off the age you said 15, it could just as easily be 14 or 16 using the exact same thought processes. You dont go from child to adult in one night.
Feb 2, 2016 5:07 PM

Dec 2008
1. It is wrong front a 21 yr old to have sex with a 15 yr old.

2. Gender is irrelevant. This is still wrong.

3. Consent under 18 is irrelevant. Anyone can want sex with you at any age and that sex does not have to be violent.

What we really need is another word to call this besides rape because I think alot of people are confusing themselves with the connotation attached to rape. Given Lothloran's example I think we can all agree that not all sex between minors and adults is a sexual assault. However it should still be illegal.

The problem is an adult abusing their position of power over a minor. It is very easy to be coerced into situations, more so when you are under the age of 18.

To answer OP's question. The act of having sex with a minor should be less than an actual rape. It's a different crime.
Feb 2, 2016 5:07 PM

Mar 2012
Red_Keys said:
Josh said:
It's arbitrary in a contextless biological sense, but not when you factor in the environment of our culture.

18 is the age people graduate high school, and it is at that point that (theoretically) they have the credentials and resources to support themselves, and forge their own paths.
That's using common sense. You're picking a time and saying, "This seems about right." It's still arbitrary in that there's no difference between someone who graduates in one month and someone who graduated one month ago.

I don't have a problem with common sense. Sometimes it's the best approach there is.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 2, 2016 5:19 PM

Apr 2015
Are you pedophiles or something trying to excuse themselves?

Feb 2, 2016 5:20 PM

May 2013
15yo sounds too early, but it's nothing of my business.
Well, here in Brasil the age of consent is 14, in my opinion so low. If the girl really want it there's no problem. But for me it can be used maliciously.

The main problem is the age difference, the older might try to mislead the younger.
AmakamiFeb 2, 2016 5:24 PM
Feb 2, 2016 5:25 PM

Mar 2008
Kit0mi said:
Are you pedophiles or something trying to excuse themselves?

Pedophilia is the sexual attraction to prepubescent children not those who have already hit puberty. If you took sex ed or are a human being you probably should know what puberty is and when it starts. Also pedophilia is only the attraction. A person does not have to act on these feelings to be a pedophile.

Also you switched pronouns mid sentence. It should be "yourselves"
Feb 2, 2016 5:28 PM

Oct 2014
khunter said:
Angstyfrankie said:
And you'll do whatever it takes. Be it lying,playing them on and so forth. When a grown man tricks your teen daughter into sex (telling her what she wants to hear) don't complain about it.

What? First off, that's not limited to me or any man, nor an age group, so that's not a good reason for whatever your argument is. Also, how is it considered trickery? As discussed above, there are different age consents. So, if legal in my state at 16, I am apparently not tricking her, but 15 I am? Telling someone what they want to hear isn't raping them. Why, anyway, is this just about girls though? Funny how a guy tricks a girl in your mind, but girls aren't tricking any 16 year old guys cause guys "know how to trick"
guys usually go for younger girls cause they are easier. (High school freshmangirls "dating" senior guys). Even if 16 is legal in sure there's a 2-3 year age difference before they are 18 meaning a 21 yr old will still get charged with statutory rape until they're 18. And it happens a lot more with girls. Why are you acting like most women college aged want a high school freshman? Half of them don't even want college freshman
Feb 2, 2016 5:33 PM

Apr 2012
Josh said:
Red_Keys said:

That's using common sense. You're picking a time and saying, "This seems about right." It's still arbitrary in that there's no difference between someone who graduates in one month and someone who graduated one month ago.

I don't have a problem with common sense. Sometimes it's the best approach there is.
You mean, the best "non-approach" there is. Going by the gut.

Autocrat said:
Feb 2, 2016 5:42 PM

Mar 2008
Angstyfrankie said:
guys usually go for younger girls cause they are easier. (High school freshmangirls "dating" senior guys). Even if 16 is legal in sure there's a 2-3 year age difference before they are 18 meaning a 21 yr old will still get charged with statutory rape until they're 18. And it happens a lot more with girls. Why are you acting like most women college aged want a high school freshman? Half of them don't even want college freshman

They dont go for younger than themselves because they are easier although some do. Its biologically ad culturally imprinted into them. In almost every culture the guys go for younger girls. Some scientists think its all the way down to the dna level to be attracted to the more youthful and fertile while girls attracted to older males.
Feb 2, 2016 5:56 PM

Apr 2012
Yet @traed, some studies show that women are more fertile during the 20's, rather than earlier.

Autocrat said:
Feb 2, 2016 5:59 PM

Mar 2008
Immahnoob said:
Yet @traed, some studies show that women are more fertile during the 20's, rather than earlier.

It may have changed over time and diet influences it as well. I wouldnt doubt it for the current times.
Feb 2, 2016 6:03 PM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Angstyfrankie said:

They dont go for younger than themselves because they are easier although some do. Its biologically ad culturally imprinted into them. In almost every culture the guys go for younger girls. Some scientists think its all the way down to the dna level to be attracted to the more youthful and fertile while girls attracted to older males.
Thatd work better in the animal kingdom but we don't really have to worry about that as our lifespans have drastically increased. So in a few years when the guy is 24 in the workforce and the 18 yr old is a senior in high school that'd be a good relationship? I mean I just don't understand why people want it lower and lower. there would also be the possibility of more teen moms and baby's which we don't need right now.
Feb 2, 2016 6:10 PM

May 2013
Angstyfrankie said:
khunter said:

Saying usually is extremely arrogant. Do you know how many men are on the planet? Then you'd have to break that down into straight males. & then we could get a few more sub-sects than that. Men will sleep with women, it hardly matters if they are younger. It might be a fetish but that fetish becomes legal depending on where you are.

I am not acting like that at all, it's just you fail to see the double standards here. You are not treating a man being "raped" by a women in the same light. To you, it's the guy's fault for wanting to have sex with a 16 year old or 15 year old, but not the older women's fault for having sex with a 15 year old guy. That's what this seems like.
Feb 2, 2016 6:11 PM

Apr 2012
traed said:
Immahnoob said:

It may have changed over time and diet influences it as well. I wouldnt doubt it for the current times.
Wouldn't you say that diet influences would make earlier ages more fertile? Or are you saying, that maybe the results changed for a younger age since those studies about fertility around the age of 20 or so are "old"?

Autocrat said:
Feb 2, 2016 6:20 PM

Oct 2014
khunter said:
Angstyfrankie said:

Saying usually is extremely arrogant. Do you know how many men are on the planet? Then you'd have to break that down into straight males. & then we could get a few more sub-sects than that. Men will sleep with women, it hardly matters if they are younger. It might be a fetish but that fetish becomes legal depending on where you are.

I am not acting like that at all, it's just you fail to see the double standards here. You are not treating a man being "raped" by a women in the same light. To you, it's the guy's fault for wanting to have sex with a 16 year old or 15 year old, but not the older women's fault for having sex with a 15 year old guy. That's what this seems like.
And that fetish shouldn't just be tolerated dude. It goes both ways I'm not having a double standard. It's wrong in both instances I just said one happens more than the other. And a big reason this dosent need to happen is I don't understand why people want it lower and lower. there would also be the possibility of more teen pregnancy which is not good. Kids don't know how to raise kids.
Feb 2, 2016 6:22 PM

Jun 2015
I think people should be allowed to have sex with whoever they wish, but should be prepared for the consequences if something bad happens.
Feb 2, 2016 6:22 PM

May 2014
I don't think 15 yr olds should have sex with 21 yr olds ever but it all depends on what's legal and what isn't in your country.

The age of consent where I live is 16 and while it is legally okay for that 16 year old to have sex with a 35 yr old, it may not be safe for the younger person, since the older person holds much more power and could be using their trust because of that huge gap in experience or maturity.

Because of the drastic jumps in maturity from ages 13-18, I don't think having sex with someone much older than you would be smart, whether it's legal or not, until you're an adult yourself.
Feb 2, 2016 6:55 PM
Feb 2014
#NoMeansYes #NoMeansYes #NoMeansYes vs. MUH CONSENT MUH CONSENT MUH CONSENT: The Thread
Feb 2, 2016 7:13 PM

Mar 2008
Angstyfrankie said:
Thatd work better in the animal kingdom but we don't really have to worry about that as our lifespans have drastically increased. So in a few years when the guy is 24 in the workforce and the 18 yr old is a senior in high school that'd be a good relationship? I mean I just don't understand why people want it lower and lower. there would also be the possibility of more teen moms and baby's which we don't need right now.

Humans are animals. By that logic someone who has a job should not date someone who does not have a job.

Immahnoob said:
Wouldn't you say that diet influences would make earlier ages more fertile? Or are you saying, that maybe the results changed for a younger age since those studies about fertility around the age of 20 or so are "old"?[/quote]

Not sure really. Ive not looked extemely deep into it
Feb 2, 2016 8:00 PM

Oct 2014
@traed yes but we also practice many things other animals don't such as monogamy
Feb 2, 2016 8:06 PM

Mar 2008
Angstyfrankie said:
@traed yes but we also practice many things other animals don't such as monogamy

No we aren't the only ones who do that.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/slideshow/love-for-life-animals-mostly-monogamous/
Feb 2, 2016 8:20 PM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Angstyfrankie said:

No we aren't the only ones who do that.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/slideshow/love-for-life-animals-mostly-monogamous/
A smal amount but you're right. But in any case you are fine with early teens gettin fetishized and having sex with grown adults? This could lead to much confusion and it'd someone who can't even legally drive with someone who's considered a full adult.
Feb 2, 2016 8:28 PM

Mar 2008
@Angstyfrankie
I never said anything about fetishizing and nor did I say a specific age. I said males like younger and females like older. It's very common and normal to be attracted.
Feb 2, 2016 8:46 PM

May 2013
Angstyfrankie said:
khunter said:

And that fetish shouldn't just be tolerated dude. It goes both ways I'm not having a double standard. It's wrong in both instances I just said one happens more than the other. And a big reason this dosent need to happen is I don't understand why people want it lower and lower. there would also be the possibility of more teen pregnancy which is not good. Kids don't know how to raise kids.

Well to argue something is wrong is a whole other thing(you know, nihilism and objectivity and all that)

Any age is arbitrary. It hardly matter. Pick an age and make the cut off- but associating the word rape with this consensual sex is too much. And the sentence is terrible for offender.

Teen pregnancy literally has nothing to do with it & though you're right "kids shouldn't be raising kids" let's be real here, nobody should be raising kids. There is no handbook for that shit. Parents just screw up and move on.
Feb 2, 2016 8:48 PM

May 2013
traed said:
@Angstyfrankie
I never said anything about fetishizing and nor did I say a specific age. I said males like younger and females like older. It's very common and normal to be attracted.

Traed, though i see this pattern, I have never seen any proof of this. Do you have any links of data or anything for this?
Feb 2, 2016 9:11 PM

Oct 2014
traed said:
@Angstyfrankie
Sorry that was khunter. But i guess it's different for everyone.
Feb 2, 2016 9:31 PM

Mar 2008
@khunter
One of the studies I found was behind a paywall. :( It was an extensive one to. But it had nothing i can use in what it showed in the summary. Keep in mind when I said what I did I was referring to younger girls. Obviously some woman who is like 30 or over will more likely want someone their own age rather than older.

This is just stuff for preferences. A preference does not really mean full range.

"The psychologists at Åbo Akademi University in Turku, Finland gathered observations from a population-based sample of more than 12,000 Finns and found that women, on average, are interested in same-aged to somewhat older men than themselves and that this pattern displays itself across the entire life-span. Men, on the other hand, show a tendency to be sexually interested in women in their mid-twenties. "
http://www.science20.com/news_articles/evolutionary_psychology_why_women_like_older_men_and_men_like_younger_women-145652

" Consistent with previous findings, women preferred partners of their own age, regardless of their own age and regardless of the level of relationship involvement. Men, on the other hand, regardless of their own age, desired mates for short-term mating and for sexual fantasies who were in their reproductive years. However, with regard to long-term mates, men preferred mates who, although younger than them, were sometimes above the age of maximum fertility."
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090513801000654

Ehhh that wil do for now. I could get more but meh...
Feb 2, 2016 9:51 PM
Oct 2014
I think it's interesting with this "power argument". I can understand what you mean by being more experienced and all, but is that necessarily a problem? Power isn't equal to evil afterall.

Here in Sweden, when you graduate 9th grade you are free to do whatever you want after that. You don't have to proceed in school to Gymnasium/High school level, even though over 90% will do so. When you're 16 you can get married with parental permission. In the US you can't even buy a beer before 21, which seems like the government is playing dad with its citizens in my opinion.

I think the reason why many people see relations between - like in this case a 15 year old with a 21 year old, or a 17 year old with a 24 year old - as fishy, is because those age groups usually don't hang around each other. What could the older party possibly have for interest in the younger, if it wasn't for something up to no good? A natural reaction perhaps. But if it isn't rape, it isn't. You either have a definition or you don't. Just because we don't like something, doesn't mean we can apply things such as rape on whatever suits us.

Feb 2, 2016 9:55 PM

May 2013
traed said:
@khunter
One of the studies I found was behind a paywall. :( It was an extensive one to. But it had nothing i can use in what it showed in the summary. Keep in mind when I said what I did I was referring to younger girls. Obviously some woman who is like 30 or over will more likely want someone their own age rather than older.

This is just stuff for preferences. A preference does not really mean full range.

"The psychologists at Åbo Akademi University in Turku, Finland gathered observations from a population-based sample of more than 12,000 Finns and found that women, on average, are interested in same-aged to somewhat older men than themselves and that this pattern displays itself across the entire life-span. Men, on the other hand, show a tendency to be sexually interested in women in their mid-twenties. "
http://www.science20.com/news_articles/evolutionary_psychology_why_women_like_older_men_and_men_like_younger_women-145652

" Consistent with previous findings, women preferred partners of their own age, regardless of their own age and regardless of the level of relationship involvement. Men, on the other hand, regardless of their own age, desired mates for short-term mating and for sexual fantasies who were in their reproductive years. However, with regard to long-term mates, men preferred mates who, although younger than them, were sometimes above the age of maximum fertility."
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090513801000654

Ehhh that wil do for now. I could get more but meh...

I notice that trend myself. I wonder if that's for partners, rather than sexual encounters? Must be. For me, and guys, I feel like if it's hot, we'd fuck it
Feb 3, 2016 1:49 AM

May 2015
No, I do not see it as wrong. I will more likely suspect the guy used power to coerce her if she says so, but if she agreed out of her own will - good for her.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 3, 2016 2:45 AM

Jun 2012
Maybe it's wrong, it's difficult to say since we are still learning at that age and easily influenced often.

Idk grey area probably dictated by morality right now, I doubt that the punishment should be too severe unless it is obviously an act of grooming and mentally making them dependant on you.
Feb 3, 2016 3:40 AM

Apr 2012
Rarusu_ said:
I think the reason why many people see relations between - like in this case a 15 year old with a 21 year old, or a 17 year old with a 24 year old - as fishy, is because those age groups usually don't hang around each other. What could the older party possibly have for interest in the younger, if it wasn't for something up to no good?
Would no good for you be, seeking some kind of relationship?

Autocrat said:
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » JAPAN?

BaronLukis - Apr 17

20 by AxiaG »»
11 seconds ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 8 hours ago

23 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

43 by 9765 »»
24 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 5 hours ago

5 by Noboru »»
35 minutes ago

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

9 by Serafos »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.