Forum Settings
Forums

Should you be charged for doing something if you didn't know it was illegal?

New
Jan 31, 2016 7:54 PM

Sep 2015
Maybe it's my mind for justice acting out, but lately I've been mulling this over a bit. Is it really fair to be charged for doing something that you didn't know was illegal? Bear with me for a minute, I'm not talking about murder, rape, robbery and major crimes and such, I'm more pertaining to other things, like the kinds of things you get roped into as a teenager that ends badly for everyone.

Let's be real for a minute. When you're young you're not exactly down to earth. Sometimes you get mixed up into things that you're none the wiser of. Maybe things like drug laws, alcohol laws, underage sex, and such. It shouldn't have to serve as a reminder or a wake up call to have convictions on your record.

I believe this to be a major flaw in our education system, why aren't the laws of our own country taught to us from a young age? How many victims to the system does there need to be? I feel as though our education system is largely to blame for crime rates.

So do you believe that you should be charged for minor offenses that you weren't aware were illegal, or do you think maybe there should be another system in place for this matter?

Please discuss. :)

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Jan 31, 2016 7:58 PM

Jul 2014
Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.
Jan 31, 2016 8:00 PM

Mar 2014
It should be pretty obvious if what you're doing is breaking the law or not.
Jan 31, 2016 8:07 PM

Apr 2014
That would create too many loopholes in the legal system and would be easily abused more than claiming you're not mentally sane.
Jan 31, 2016 8:10 PM

Jan 2016
ibear said:

I agree with this.

Although I don't think people are evil or *deserve* to be punished for something they just didn't know was illegal, letting anybody who claims ignorance off the hook would result in people using that to avoid being fined/prosecuted/whatever
Jan 31, 2016 8:14 PM

Jan 2009
ibear said:

yep there is a legal term for it too here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat
Jan 31, 2016 8:16 PM

Jun 2015
Ignorance should be no excuse but I do agree that youth should be taught the laws better.

Jan 31, 2016 8:19 PM

Jul 2015
How about you take the time to learn your country's own damned laws instead of making shitty excuses
Jan 31, 2016 8:22 PM

Nov 2008
If it could've caused bodily harm or death then yes.

Jan 31, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2013
The basic morals and values that your parents taught you as a kid is plenty enough to keep you out of legal trouble until you're old enough to use the internet. No trying to feign ignorance.
Jan 31, 2016 8:28 PM

Jul 2015
if the education system is reformed to teach adolescents about what's unlawful it'd be great, b/c it could potentially decrease the amount of crime that the young children may cause once they're older. i just feel that most criminals had an unpleasant childhood and weren't taught such things, possibly?

being unlawful is no excuse anyway, imo. i feel like it should be pretty easy to tell whether your actions are illegal or not? but ofc the severity of the action is an important factor to consider. like pirating something, breaking the speed limit, jaywalking, are completely different from drunk driving, and possession of schedule one drugs?
Jan 31, 2016 8:28 PM

Jan 2015
ibear said:
this

You are a citizen of your country. Of course you should the basic rules of it no matter if you are an immigrant or a native. Same goes as organizations
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jan 31, 2016 8:38 PM

Mar 2008
Depends on if anyone was seriously hurt or not. If so then they should be changed anyway but if not no charge. I think not knowing something is illegal is actually used as a defence sometimes that does work sometimes.
Jan 31, 2016 8:39 PM
Oct 2014
We are taught from a young age what you can do and not. The laws of a country reflect its culture somehow. But, for minor incidents, and especially if it concerns very young people. Then you can give them a clear warning instead or reasonable punishment. For example, cases when it doesn't really harm anyone else, like cycling on the sidewalk or throwing a coke can in the wrong dust-bin, or sending paper into the wrong authority.
No need to overkill, so to speak. We must allow mistakes.

Jan 31, 2016 10:41 PM

Jan 2016
Depends on what is that thing they call illegal. Sometimes they make it against the law some actions that are victimless crimes(Drug possession and use, Abortion, etc. etc.)...

You shouldn't be charged of it regardless if you know it or not.
Jan 31, 2016 10:46 PM

Jun 2012
Until the day we can perfectly read a persons mind and intentions when interviewed, until the day that we can have universal knowledge of 90% of all laws in the world.....

Until that day, you should TOTALLY be charged, there are too many loopholes for people to do such dickish things. Think about the current immigration and rape discussions going on right now.

Doing something wrong because it's not a part of your culture just means you didn't look up on the culture of the people who are visiting which is honestly, quite rude.
Jan 31, 2016 10:48 PM

Sep 2015
I feel like a lot of people are skipping over the OP, I did say only minor or obscure offenses. Rape and murder and major offenses are out of the question, you should definitely be charged for such things.

Again, I'm pertaining to other things.

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Jan 31, 2016 11:06 PM

Jan 2015
Not knowing the law is not an excuse to break it.
Feb 1, 2016 3:57 AM

May 2015
ibear said:

This. Some laws can be forgiven if they'r very specific and the crime isn't too damaging to the environment. Some crimes can't be excused with ignorance, of course.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 1, 2016 4:07 AM

Jan 2014
It can't be an excuse, or else all criminals will use it...

dinesj21 said:
It should be pretty obvious if what you're doing is breaking the law or not.

It really should. Sadly, it's not...
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Feb 1, 2016 4:35 AM

Aug 2013
I don't think so, or you should at least get a lesser charge. I mean if you honestly have no ill intentions and don't intend to go breaking the law its not as if you did it on purpose not as if you wanted to break the law its different to a real law breaker.

Its like been arrested for trespassing if you honestly didn't know, you weren't trespassing you were just walking been a normal nice law abiding citizen and stumbled into something illegal its not fair to judge that person as if they're just another law breaker deviant.
Feb 1, 2016 5:54 AM

Mar 2014
"I didn't know murder was illegal, please let me go"
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 1, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2015
Actually knowing the Law is your duty.
Feb 12, 2016 8:13 AM
Feb 2016
Asking a very important question that I cannot answer.
Feb 12, 2016 8:19 AM
Sep 2015
Even when you're charged and convicted, judges can still use common sense when sentencing. If it's a minor offense and your record is otherwise clean, you generally won't see jail time, just probation or a fine. I think that's fair.

But let's be real, the main drivers behind crime rates are idiotic drug policies and economic inequality, not ignorance of the law.
Feb 12, 2016 8:24 AM

Jan 2015
There are millions of i"asylum seekers" in Europe now that don't know rape is illegal. Don't arrest them, the traitor police have been told not to anyway. The only solution is live ammo.
Feb 12, 2016 11:24 AM

Oct 2014
Not charging someone due to them not knowing a specific law should definitly be reserved for special cases, like, for example, a law that has been created very recently (like in the last 5 years) that most people wouldn't pay attention to, or in cases foreigners accidently commit a crime that isn't considered a crime in other civlized countries.

Wasn't there some law in some country about it being considered illegal/criminal to step on banknotes because there was a picture of royalty on it or something like that? Well, I certainly hope that they wouldn't arrest some foreigner who accidently dropped a banknote from his hand and accidently stepped on it... in such a case for example I think it should be forgiven.
Feb 12, 2016 7:22 PM
Dec 2013
Yeah, otherwise so many people would be able to get away with certain crimes by claiming they didn't know any better.
Feb 12, 2016 9:11 PM

Oct 2014
Pretty much what everyone else has already said.

Most all laws should be obvious, honestly. At least for the most part. If they aren't, there is a high chance you won't ever even break them. Because if you've ever seen a video on some of the ridiculous laws in some states and/or countries most people with the right amount of common sense would not break them.

Even if some how this scenario came to be it'd be abused just like most things.

I mean for fuck sake, we can't even get most rich white kids locked up for drinking and driving and killing passengers/by-standards. Sure as hell don't need anything else fucking the justice system.
Feb 12, 2016 9:25 PM

Jul 2012
Depending on the law obviously

Common sense such as murdering should be punished no doubt

But perhaps someone assumed doing x at y was free instead of being charged, then it just deserves a warning.
Feb 13, 2016 10:11 PM

Mar 2014
I didn't know throwing cabbages at baby strollers was illegal I always thought it was a prank.
Eat Me

More topics from this board

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

9 by Lost_Viking »»
9 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 10 hours ago

9 by traed »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by cody »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 hours ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by shadowdownfall »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.