Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 30, 2016 7:52 PM

Jan 2014
When I did some random search for good TV series from imdb, I was surprised that Onepunch Man sit on the top spot with 9.4 score. I know OPM are really popular on everyone, not just anime watchers, but never expect it to climb this far. That'd be new record from anime series even surpass FMAB, Steins Gate, and HxH 2011 (top MAL rating). Are western series watchers love OPM more than anime watchers?

Here's the link : http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series
Jan 30, 2016 7:54 PM

Apr 2014
Someone's late to the party.
Jan 30, 2016 7:57 PM

Sep 2015
That's why I don't take ratings seriously.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Jan 30, 2016 8:00 PM

Dec 2012
Powah~! Get da Po~wah~

LOL it's rated pg even though guts and shit are flying around when Saitama lands a hit
Jan 30, 2016 8:04 PM

Jun 2014
Late thread

But anyways, idk who takes IMDB rankings seriously. Anime shouldn't be listed on there in the first place, there's already countless other anime databases out there, it's not really necessary.
Jan 30, 2016 8:16 PM

Jan 2014
Jerkhov said:
Late thread

But anyways, idk who takes IMDB rankings seriously. Anime shouldn't be listed on there in the first place, there's already countless other anime databases out there, it's not really necessary.

Yeah, anime didn't become mainstream on imdb, even Deathnote who is the most popular on MAL with 788k members is only 97k members on imdb while Breaking Bad have 800k members.

If you didn't want anime to listed there you should change the num_votes=100000
Jan 30, 2016 8:35 PM

Jun 2015
OPM is a really a great show, it deserves that spot.
Jan 30, 2016 8:46 PM

Oct 2014
It was first on imdb not long ago
And it is this kind of shit that teaches people to not take anime to serious
Jan 30, 2016 8:58 PM

Jul 2015
Even though I didn't like it as much as everyone else, good for OPM.
Jan 30, 2016 9:00 PM

Apr 2009
I strongly disagree with this.
There's no way it beats Rick and Morty and it doesn't deserve that high of a rating.
Jan 31, 2016 6:50 AM

Dec 2013
It was first for a while lol

Rated too high tbh
Jan 31, 2016 10:49 AM

Jul 2015
Doesn't this mean two bald men in yellow overalls are in the top 10
Jan 31, 2016 1:15 PM

Jan 2014
Tatsu765 said:
Doesn't this mean two bald men in yellow overalls are in the top 10

Haha, Walter White + Jessy Pinkman = Saitama + Genos
Feb 1, 2016 12:25 AM

Jan 2015
Jayden said:

No, it actually doesn't, lol. But that site has garbage rankings so it would make sense that it's listed so high.
Feb 1, 2016 12:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
You know it was #1 a few weeks ago right?

In any case anime has like 1% of the vote count as live action series on IMDB so you cannot take their ratings at face value. MAL is infinitely more accurate if you're looking for the public opinion on anime series
Feb 1, 2016 6:29 PM

Jun 2015
luvaokii said:
Jayden said:

No, it actually doesn't, lol. But that site has garbage rankings so it would make sense that it's listed so high.

luvaokii said:
Jayden said:

I think it's an excellent show. The anime adaptation is probably the closest any show could get to it's source manga. Read the comic/manga sometime, then'll you see why it's great.

Don't be one of those "I'm not bandwagon person".
Feb 1, 2016 9:57 PM

Jan 2015
Jayden said:
luvaokii said:

luvaokii said:

I think it's an excellent show. The anime adaptation is probably the closest any show could get to it's source manga. Read the comic/manga sometime, then'll you see why it's great.

Good for you.

I've already read the manga/web comic, nothing is of surprise or 'wow factor' to me. Anime is just overhyped and ranked highly because of the consistent animation and above-average art.
Feb 1, 2016 10:16 PM

Jun 2015
luvaokii said:
Jayden said:

Good for you.

I've already read the manga/web comic, nothing is of surprise or 'wow factor' to me. Anime is just overhyped and ranked highly because of the consistent animation and above-average art.

It's not overhyped. People like it because it's good. That's not an opinion. It's rated so high because people like it.

Art has nothing to do with it, I see no difference between this art, and any other 12/24 episode anime airing now.
Feb 1, 2016 11:02 PM

Jan 2015
Jayden said:
luvaokii said:

Good for you.

It's not overhyped. People like it because it's good. That's not an opinion. It's rated so high because people like it.

Art has nothing to do with it, I see no difference between this art, and any other 12/24 episode anime airing now.

It's extremely overhyped. The story is almost nonexistent, characters are one dimensional and boring as hell, and it's literally carried by the running gag 'One punch', which grew old after the first two eps. If the art and animation weren't done by Madhouse, Saitama and this series wouldn't even be looked at so much. And of course people will like it, it's simple as hell to understand, lol.

Point is, it's a good anime, but it's overhyped and overwanked to the upmost extremes. On both imdb and mal, both of which have garbage rankings for characters/shows.
Feb 1, 2016 11:15 PM

Jun 2015
luvaokii said:
Jayden said:

It's extremely overhyped. The story is almost nonexistent, characters are one dimensional and boring as hell, and it's literally carried by the running gag 'One punch', which grew old after the first two eps. If the art and animation weren't done by Madhouse, Saitama and this series wouldn't even be looked at so much. And of course people will like it, it's simple as hell to understand, lol.

Point is, it's a good anime, but it's overhyped and overwanked to the upmost extremes. On both imdb and mal, both of which have garbage rankings for characters/shows.

No no no, non existent story is the second season of something like Infinite Stratos. I can clearly see the story, it's like, right there. If you've read the manga, the story is pretty obvious. By the way, this is a parody anime, so obviously there are 1D characters, hell every anime character is technically 2D!

some of them are flat characters is to make fun of overly complex stupid characters.
Feb 2, 2016 12:36 AM

Jan 2014
Jayden said:
luvaokii said:

No no no, non existent story is the second season of something like Infinite Stratos. I can clearly see the story, it's like, right there. If you've read the manga, the story is pretty obvious. By the way, this is a parody anime, so obviously there are 1D characters, hell every anime character is technically 2D!

some of them are flat characters is to make fun of overly complex stupid characters.

I'm trying to act wise here, I think OPM rated high just because it have the most enjoyment, I have many non anime fans friend and family who really like to watch it, even they didn't want to watch FMAB, Gintama, or HxH11.

It only contain 12 episodes and the first episode really eyecatching, everyone can like it. People who didn't enjoy it usually score it between 6-7 and who enjoy it between 9-10. Me myself rated 9 because of pure enjoyment.

When you see OPM rated higher in non anime site than in anime site, it just because the non anime watchers like it more than anime watchers, as simple as that.
Feb 2, 2016 7:36 AM
Dec 2014
honestly OPM should be higher on MAL. how is erased at 11
Feb 2, 2016 9:33 AM

Jun 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Jayden said:

I'm trying to act wise here, I think OPM rated high just because it have the most enjoyment, I have many non anime fans friend and family who really like to watch it, even they didn't want to watch FMAB, Gintama, or HxH11.

It only contain 12 episodes and the first episode really eyecatching, everyone can like it. People who didn't enjoy it usually score it between 6-7 and who enjoy it between 9-10. Me myself rated 9 because of pure enjoyment.

When you see OPM rated higher in non anime site than in anime site, it just because the non anime watchers like it more than anime watchers, as simple as that.

I agree, well said. I enjoyed it a lot since I can see it as a lot more than a hero who has too much strength.
Feb 2, 2016 10:04 AM

Oct 2014
luvaokii said:
Jayden said:

Do you realize that your subjective opinion has no higher value than those "lower human beings" whose subjective opinions you don't want to accept?

If I say my subjective opinon by using your "style" it would be like this: "Your own rankings are garbage and worthless. OPM is the best anime ever. It's a fact. I am right because I say so. Among your favorite anime and manga there may be a few good ones, but they are still all overhyped and overrated by worthless fans like you. Your fav characters are all overrated garbage."
Grey-ZoneFeb 2, 2016 10:11 AM
Feb 2, 2016 10:18 AM

Jan 2015

There's a simple backstory, but that's merely it. The overall story is nonexistent, and the villain arcs themselves barely have any direction in them.

It's a simple anime, unlike FMAB and HXH, anyone can pick it up and enjoy it because it's flashy and easy enough for even a monkey to understand. Like I already said before, rankings, especially on other sites, are garbage and really don't matter. Unless you want to debate and tell me how Clannad and the same several animes (Gintama) are ranked so much higher than Code Geass, Death Note, etc.
Feb 2, 2016 2:52 PM

Jan 2014
luvaokii said:

It's a simple anime, unlike FMAB and HXH, anyone can pick it up and enjoy it because it's flashy and easy enough for even a monkey to understand. Like I already said before, rankings, especially on other sites, are garbage and really don't matter. Unless you want to debate and tell me how Clannad and the same several animes (Gintama) are ranked so much higher than Code Geass, Death Note, etc.

i have no more to say, debate is useless. Watching anime is for enjoyment.

More topics from this board

» Live Action Movie gets new writers (Rick and Morty writer and creator)

OvergrownRover - Apr 14

2 by Kadano »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2015

346 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Apr 22, 2:24 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

986 by larryfirst »»
Mar 28, 5:27 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

337 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Mar 18, 12:48 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

791 by Jiborjas »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.