Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 29, 2016 2:18 AM
Jan 2016
I, like most people after watching Usagi Drop, wanted to see a second season. I thought I might read the manga, but most people advised against it. I read the spoilers and would agree that I wouldn’t like it. While manga artists are free to take their work in any directions, it seems that she miss a huge opportunity to flesh out the characters more. There seems to be a lot of potential to increase the drama in a more realistic and interesting way.

I might have stronger feelings about the direction of the manga, because of the situation I grew up in. My brother, sister, and I were adopted to a single parent, my mother. While the situation not exactly the same, I could relate the sacrifices and struggles made by Daikichi and Yukari.

I haven’t read the manga, so I only have a little idea of the plot beyond the anime series. However, I would like to present an alternative plot line to the manga. The story would have three main points of view relating to Rin coming from Masako (Rin’s mother), Daikichi, and Kouki.

What do you think? Would this make for an interesting story? Somehow, I feel that the artist miss a real niche market and most of the fans were let down. I know that I won’t bother reading the manga, until it’s revised.
Mar 20, 2016 1:46 PM
Nov 2015
I didn't like your revision. The thing that I loved about Usagi Drop was that they kept it real by avoiding all the tiresome angst and melodrama which is typical of shojou. The ending and story has enough drama as it is actually! The niche market you're talking about is shojou (young females), and the mangaka is missing it because she/he is not aiming for it, they're aiming for the josei genre (adult females), NOT shojou. Compared to shojou, the point of josei is not drama, but relationships. I can understand why many fans would be let down, as the shojou audience is much larger than the josei, but this manga is PERFECT and MADE for the josei audience, not the shojou.

I'm aware you've read spoilers, but I'm not sure about how much you know, so I'll just recap "a bit". (See below.) Although I find the ending a bit squicky with them becoming a couple, I was not dissatisfied as their relationship progressed realistically and steadily in spite of this. I would wish it ended up as Nitani+Daikichi and Rin+Kouki pairing instead. I have not seen the anime and I would actually encourage you to read the manga until the end, as it has become one of my favourite mangas of all time!

[MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!!]

In the manga (10 yrs later part) Rin expresses desire to become a mother and start a family of her own. But she's worried since she doesn't seem popular like Reina (cousin), and wonders how she'll ever come about starting a family. Just ONE boy does try flirting with her and invites her to the cinema, but is gives up since she is being dismissive and unsociable.

Yes, Kouki is an option but she's firm in the decision in middle school to put her feelings for him behind her. When confronting Kouki's ex she does actually kiss him saying she USED to like him but not anymore. He keeps pestering Rin about going out with him, and even jumps hugs on her without success when he sees a chance. Then Nitani remarries, and just as Kouki is about to meet her boyfriend, he flees to Daikichi's and Rin's place, telling them how it's simply physiologically impossible for him to imagine his mum with a guy; to acknowledge her as a woman also. Rin scoffs at Kouki as being childish, and when asked by Kouki, she says would accept it if Daikichi got married. But when she sits down, she remarks to herself how she actually wouldn't like it to have another woman living with her and Daikichi.

Anyways, while contemplating what she would be like as a mother, she becomes curious about her own mother and looks up her family register, but is discovered by Daikichi. He decides to set up the meeting for her. (Masako is now very noticeably pregnant and is grumpy since she don't want Daikichi to know.) When they first meet, it's a bit stiff since Rin can't remember anything about her at all except the sound of someone hoovering in the background. But by Rin's second visit after her half-sister is born, she remembers Masako's lullaby as her mother is nursing her sister. Masako breaks down crying, confessing she sang for her every night. She finally feels a bit connected to her biological mother.

On her way home she contemplates her conversations with her mother: Masako was not willing to give up her career and dream for Rin, as she thought anyone could be Rin's mother, but no one could do her work -- something she has come to realise is turned upside down. But why did Daikichi decide to take her in and raise her as his own; did he not have dreams and a career to pursue, something he would have to sacrifice if he was to raise her? In class she wonders why no boy has ever caught her interest, and Kouki is excluded as he's ONLY a sibling to her now. She remarks how she would be happy to spend her whole life with Daikichi as they are, and with that she begins considering a romantical relationship between the two of them. But as they are biologically related she decides to keep her feelings hidden.

As always, Kouki keeps courting Rin, but he becomes curious as she begins laying hints that she has someone else she likes already. Rin also keeps saying she won't go to university but start working straight away with kids at a nursery (despite having better grades than him who is actually planning to go to uni), so she can stay at home and take care of Daikichi when he grows old. On their way home one day, he interrogates Rin on the matter, and realises who it is when seeing her blush upon seeing Daikichi. Rin tells him to keep it under wraps, but Kouki confronts Daikichi about the matter while she's in the bath. However, she forgot her soap in the living room and walks in on Kouki declaring Rin's love for Daikichi. Daikichi was brushing the whole matter off as absurd until Rin screams idiot at Kouki and runs off without her jacket nor shoes. Daikichi is confused but runs out and catches Rin nevertheless, puts his jacket on her and scolds her for running off outside without her outerwear. After Kouki goes home, Daikichi and Rin have a talk, in which he says that this is THE most horrible thing she could do to him.

Completely lost and flustered, she decides to consult the ONLY person she can about the matter. When Daikichi finds a note saying she's gone to visit her mother for a bit, he runs off to get her as it was already late when he returned home and found the note. Daikichi scolds Masako for revealing the truth about Rin's parentage, but she tells him she made that decision as a mother and shoves Rin out saying Souichi isn't her biological father and they should just figure out their relationship. At home, Daikichi tells Rin he will not be able to dismiss her if she TRULY wants to marry a 40 year old man like him, but tells her to wait until she graduates to make sure of her feelings (and let him prepare his), and encourages her to date someone else before then and return to their old father-daughter relationship without any consequences.
SandyTreeMar 20, 2016 2:18 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

394 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:44 PM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

37 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jul 7, 2011

365 by astroreload »»
Jan 21, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Jul 21, 2011

174 by astroreload »»
Dec 27, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.