Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 23, 2016 4:07 PM

Jul 2015
This anime is beautiful, that's all I can talk <3
Jan 23, 2016 4:17 PM

Feb 2014
Good episode as usual this is probably the most underrated anime this season.
I really like Shin and Kiku especially together they are great.
Kikus progress is really nice to see how he opens up and became closer to Shin.
Also loved how he helped that girl with the guitar play hope to see her again.
Btw, do girls like her actually exist in RL or are they just fantasies like unicorn ?
Jan 23, 2016 4:22 PM

Oct 2011
Teared up from Kiku reunited with Shin and Master T_____T
Jan 23, 2016 5:51 PM

Oct 2013
And the show just keeps getting better and better.

Also what an great opening, easily my favorite one of the season.

Jan 23, 2016 5:52 PM

Apr 2014
bekeru said:
This is my favorite this season. Really neat storytelling an unexpected wonderful job from Studio DEEN
its expected from deen to make good historical anime

idk where ppl are pulling this deen hate from
Jan 23, 2016 6:11 PM

Jul 2010
Another great episode, I do kinda wonder though if all this anime will be flashbacks now.
Jan 23, 2016 6:38 PM

Jul 2013
You know an anime is a masterpiece when it just easily pulls you into the story and made you immerse yourself in the character. Watching this episode made me feel I actually lived during that era and that's not something any ordinary anime can do.

AOTS for sure and a very strong candidate for AOTY.
Jan 23, 2016 9:08 PM

Jul 2012
Even with the slow feeling of this episode, instead of being bored, I felt immersed into its world. The episode made me feel their sense of time, in that, when the episode was over, I actually believed that I just finished a 48-minute episode again. That's pretty amazing!

This show has been so good. Can't wait for more :)
Jan 24, 2016 1:26 AM

Jan 2015
Solid episode, definitely better than last week's
The way the story is getting told is impressive, It's different and great! Katsura's voice is made for this kind of shit
Maybe they both fall for the new girl introduced in the next ep's preview, waiting to see it!
The whole episode was very realistic, they showed Yakumo's love story very nicely, how they waited for the return, how rakugo's state was before and after, just great
Them two coming back was a nice scene
Overall a good fucking episode! 4/5
And the OP is neat.
AhoNoGinJan 24, 2016 1:33 AM
Jan 24, 2016 4:01 AM

Jan 2015
Tenth said:
Another great episode, I do kinda wonder though if all this anime will be flashbacks now.

Wouldn't be surprised if the anime becomes a whole flashback tbh.
Jan 24, 2016 4:34 AM

Feb 2012
I really doht know whether to drop it or not...
Jan 24, 2016 4:36 AM

Feb 2008
The opening sequence is enjoyably unique. As for the episode itself, how they handled the war was rather impressive. Nothing overly dramatic, just the sorrow of sending acquaintances to far and the joy of their return, spiced with some wartime slice-of-life. I wonder, what sort of a role will that mysterious lady play?
Jan 24, 2016 6:07 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Very heartwarming.
Jan 24, 2016 7:22 AM

Aug 2014
i heard the op before watching the episode two days ago, and it is good. and i still remain in love. definitely one of my faves this season.
Jan 24, 2016 8:05 AM
Jan 2015
This seals the deal for me in this show as my AOTS by a wide margin.

Well, partially to promote my blog... https://samui26.wordpress.com/
... here are my complete thoughts and to other shows as well.
Jan 24, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2009
Ooh, OP is interesting ... sounds familiar but I loved the animation for it XD
Love these episodes on the past and seeing how Bon and Shin grew up (I'm going with those as their names now). Was sad when Bon's first girlfriend had to leave, then Shin and their master too ... dang. That reunion was so touching :') Looks like with the war over and the two in their twenties now, rakugo's gonna get popular again. Now I wonder what's with that lady at the end ... hmm, oh and I guess I was wrong about meeting Shin's wife - maybe that's gonna be next episode instead? XD
Jan 24, 2016 7:55 PM

Jun 2015
This anime is and continues to be great.
Jan 25, 2016 2:19 PM

Jun 2009
That was such an emotional episode. I swear, I nearly cried when Shin and Master came back. I really never expected the Master to come back. I thought that maybe Shin got rally hurt and will wind up in Tokyo someway or something but wow. Great episode!
Jan 25, 2016 4:14 PM

Jul 2009
This is honestly such a good show, definitely AOTS. They are showing so many things happen but somehow it doesn't feel rushed at all; and it isn't boring either. I really like how every scene seems to be important for the story, and nothing feels like it's there just to be and take up some time.
And the more I watch this anime, the more I fall in love with Ishida Akira's voicing Yakumo. It's really nice to see him sounding so different from his role in Dimension W.
Can't wait to see more of the story!
We always think we have more time and that is the wrong way to think, because time is something we never have enough of.
---Lindy Zart, Unlit Star
Jan 26, 2016 2:49 AM
May 2010
The reunion scene with the sunset is very powerful I honestly feel happy that they come back safely.

OP song song is nice, the singer remind me of Etsuko Yakushimaru, even though I know it's not her
Jan 26, 2016 6:50 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that I really appreciated, maybe it will be because after having seen the other two before, I entered in tune with the rhythm of the narrative, or is it just to have taken those characteristics that I like, however I enjoyed everything about this episode, not I look forward to the next episode. Nice the opening, ditto the ending.
Jan 26, 2016 4:50 PM
Oct 2015
Damn i love this series. Its like a Stand Up Comedy Japanese version lol
The story is good and the pace is good as well. Looking forward to this anime
Jan 26, 2016 11:49 PM
Nov 2010
That reunion was well-paced. Really enjoyed it. Damn who's the girl in heels at the end. =o
Jan 29, 2016 7:48 PM

Jun 2013
The backstory of Yakumo and Sukeroku is really interesting. It's realistic because the war was real too. It's not some mecha, fantasy, imaginary war. It's a war that truly transpired and changed their lives. The setting and everything reminds me of Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin a lot. Another favorite of mine.

I feel sorry for Yakumo. He's obviously not his master's favorite disciple. He did well standing by the mistress' side and never left her.
臭い-
Feb 3, 2016 11:43 AM

Aug 2007
What an excellent episode! Really.

By the way, I was expecting a sad ending of episode, but No, was a really happy ending with the four meeting each other after the war!
Feb 5, 2016 5:46 AM

Nov 2010
Oh wow, it's just keep getting better and better.

So much feel in one episode.
Feb 5, 2016 12:11 PM

Nov 2015
the OP is amazing her voice fits perfect!
The episode was really heartwarming and left me with some teary eyes and a smile =)
Feb 10, 2016 7:46 AM

Jul 2009
I love the OP it's very cool!
Bon meet some nice girls in his life.
Feb 11, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2012
So good
Bon and Shin are perfect together. Poor Bon he thought he was abandoned again T-T. I almost shed a tear.
Feb 22, 2016 11:56 AM

May 2015
It's interesting how the show makes me feel differently about Kikuhiko when he's an old man (at the start of the show) to how he is as he's growing up. You can kind of see him develop into what he is as a old man. I wonder how the upcoming episodes will portray him.
Feb 27, 2016 11:04 PM
Dec 2009
Looking at the preview I already have a bad feeling about that girl.
Is this going to turn into a love triangle that leads to shinju (double lovers suicide)?
Love can blind even the best of us :(

I love this flashback though. It's cool to see historic Japan and the role that rakugo played then.

Tokoya said:
animefan8800 said:
I can't deny this was/remains a riveting period piece, but I am beginning to wonder if the framing story in the "present" was even needed. If it would have been good enough to start our story with Yakumo's childhood I mean. Well I guess it'll depend on how much longer we're in the past. Really though, top notch story and emotion here. Reminded me of The Wind Rises considering the time frame in which this episode was set.
I think that the series starting the way it did adds more depth to Kiku as a character because this way it makes it more personal seeing how he got from point A to point B as well as to show how different Rakugo was then to how it is in the future in a more comparative way, all the while laying the groundwork for Shin-san and other important persons in his life

The one thing I didn't like about the framing in the present is that it was kind of a spoiler, since now we know Sukeroku is going to die in the semi-near future.
Mar 3, 2016 9:06 PM

Dec 2013
Great episode. Really liking the story telling in this flashback :)

Op is unique but really forgettable.
Mar 11, 2016 2:44 PM

Jan 2013
By all accounts a great episode, well told
Mar 12, 2016 2:05 PM

Oct 2012
I was right, story of this series is written for 45 minutes episodes, gotta always watch two in row now.

And this time it was great, they captured the feeling of that era well. And I finally get used to those new characters. So much happened this time.

I wonder if woman get between them now (possibly Konatsu's mother). Hayashibara Megumi was great choice for this series as she is master of many different roles and voices. But Yamadera Kouichi is great actor too (no surprise the shined in Nihon Animator Mihon'ichi together).
Mar 30, 2016 5:45 PM

May 2012
Another very lovely backstory episode! Looking forward to see what's next!
Mar 30, 2016 10:35 PM
Aug 2011
It's so visually stunning!
Apr 2, 2016 6:11 AM

Apr 2012
MEGUMI !!! QMILDFJOSIFJMQLSIJFMQLSJF

It's on mofos.
Apr 7, 2016 5:31 AM

Jan 2016
Best episode so far.

4/5
Apr 12, 2016 8:30 AM

Aug 2014
This show is just getting better and better! Especially loved how down to earth realistic this show is.
Apr 20, 2016 10:37 PM
May 2015
That's just magical! Almost cried in the end!
Oct 26, 2016 7:45 AM

Oct 2012
This anime just have the most perfect timing to end the story
Awww.. I'm curious now
Time to marathon it all xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 26, 2016 2:59 PM

May 2015
This episode has some great feelings.

Escpecially the ending. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 8, 2017 4:28 AM

Feb 2014
Romance and bromance in the same episode. I wonder if the new girl is going to be Shin's love interest (and Konatsu's mom), going by the ED.

And yeah, teared up a bit towards the end when they reunited. I also liked how they ended the scene with their master sending them on a trip to the bath.

Although, one thing that's been bugging me is how Yakumo is able sit with his legs folded if he has a bad leg.
Jan 12, 2017 12:54 AM

Nov 2010
Episode 3 : Vol. 2, Ch. 6

omggg. This theme song totally gives me a noir feel. Shin walks in on Yakumo practicing and tells him that he should try doing ero stories instead. Then says that they should save up and hit up a brothel and Yakumo, embarrased, goes to school. HAHA. He just limps off. Yakumo helps out this girl and played the shamisen. Ochiyo-chan, the girl that he ever went out with. They met so many times in secret but he eventually had to break things off. I wondered if he really liked her. They were separated because of the war.
War continues and rakugo is slowly losing itself. Rakugo becomes censored in the lewder stories, the ones that Yakumo had been trying to learn. Shin then shows up to help Yakumo with his chores. Them being the lowest, zenza, and no one else trying to show up means that they'll forever be at the bottom to help out with chores instead of performing. Shin isn't happy with this and hears one of the older guys recite a play that he's been practicing. He'd say the lines the same.
Afterwards, more and more people end up quitting and it's just Shin and Yakumo left. Seven wants to go to perform for the troops and he wants to take Shin with him while making Yakumo stay with his wife or go back to his family. Seven lets go of his cat and Yakumo compares himself to the feline. Seven ends the conversation. That night, Shin and Yakumo promise to come back alive. Yakumo wants to hear Shin perform while he falls asleep.
Yakumo ended up working in a factory, away from the war. He still continued to read rakugo. OOH. A pretty girl. I don't think he ever married, hm? Everyday he looks out for letters from Seven and Shin but they didn't come after a while. They've got their own lives to live. Yakumo recites stories whenever he feels down. Then they move back. Awww. Matsuda had been taking care of the house while they were gone. Wow. Yakumo went straight to work doing rakugo again. Performing so many times a night.
Then their happiness comes back home. OMg. My heart. I didn't think that I'd ever hear Yakumo screaming. OMG. THEY LOOK SO GOOD IN THEIR UNIFORMS. OMG. HUG AND KISS HIM, YAKUMO. This anime is so gorgeous. HAHA. Yakumo making a joke with the five coins. Wow. Full house. Now that the war is over, rakugo is slowly coming back. Peple have been deprived of it for a long time.
This anime is so greatly paced, mang. I love it.
The boys move out----OMG. MIYOKICHI. ISN'T THIS KONATSU'S MOMMA. OMG.

WE'LL BE MEETING OUR BOYS ALL GROWN UP AND MOMMAAA.
May 1, 2017 4:33 AM

Mar 2012
Guess this is gonna be one long flashback.
May 22, 2017 8:47 PM

Apr 2017
Man, I got teared up after watching this episode. It was quite emotional. Bon experienced a lot of things in his early life including loving a person, waiting for his brother and father to come back home and playing Rakugo even he's suffering a disability. I love the storytelling of this show and it is realistic.
Jul 22, 2017 8:05 PM

Apr 2015
Yakumo looks so feminine...I'm surprised no one's mistaken him for a girl in-series (that we know of) yet.

The 'forbidden rakugo' thing reminds me of banned books. The rakugo we've seen in the first two episodes were relatively clean and still very entertaining/got laughs out of the audience, so I'm not sure why that alone would be hurting rakugo so much. I don't know how strict the standards were on what's forbidden, though. Regardless of rather rakugo needs to be bawdy or not, I hate censorship, and I'm glad that rakugo got to make a triumphant return after the war.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 21, 2017 3:09 PM

Jan 2017
It was a great episode this one. I'm really enjoying this show let's see how it continues. I hope it gets better.
Karasuno Fight!!!
Jan 7, 2018 2:10 AM

Jun 2016
Even though, I know they'll be back safely, I was still worried af. Haha. I sincerely love the bromance between Kikuhiko and Sukeroku. They're so cute. Haha. :3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Feb 20, 2018 1:44 PM

Jul 2015
That was a great episode, we got to see how Yakumo started to really like performing Rakugo thanks to Sukeroku's influence, but sadly, war blocked their way, and the fear of separation and never seeing each other was painful to handle. I think this episode nailed that feeling, seeing how I teared up a bit once they finally came more than a year of knowing nothing about them and fearing the worst, their reactions of happiness were too good.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.