Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 22, 2016 4:03 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was much better than ep 2. Loved the interaction between yakumo and sukeroku. Besides, it was very unexpected see that yakumo was the first to appear with a girl. i was already loving them as a couple and the girl moved to the country =/
If continues like that will be the best anime of winter =D
Jan 22, 2016 4:51 PM

Dec 2010
Just wow. Maybe it's because I can relate to some aspects of Yakumo/Kiku's situation in my own way at the moment, but I cried like a baby for half of the episode. This is giving me too many feels, I really want to know more about young Yakumo.

By the way, I really love the ost. The traditional pieces fit actually very well with the other jazz-like songs.
Jan 22, 2016 5:20 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode. So many feels.

Jan 22, 2016 5:23 PM

Apr 2015
Really nice episode. OP is good. It was great to see Yakumo and Shin back in rakugo after the war, and Yakumo still has his passion for it as well.
Jan 22, 2016 5:33 PM

Aug 2015
Great episode. Better than the previous one.
Jan 22, 2016 6:00 PM

Nov 2014
The jazz opening theme was refreshing, and appropriate for this anime. Thank goodness they didn't try to shoehorn in the usual pop-rock.

So much happened in this episode. A romance, war, separation, and then a reunion. There were a lot of emotions, and the pacing, surprisingly, didn't feel rushed. The episode felt longer than 23 minutes, but it was never boring.

This was definitely my favorite episode so far. It was a good setup for the next chapter in this story.

5/5
Jan 22, 2016 6:07 PM

Sep 2014
Good episode. I was a little surprised that they both survived in Manchuria, I somewhat expected the master to die.

Hopefully the story eventually returns to the present, I found Yotaro and Konatsu to be a little more interesting than Shin and Bon. Still a fairly engrossing anime, definitely one of the better ones this season.
Jan 22, 2016 7:11 PM

Sep 2013
They're really stretching out this backstory. I wished they could've just compressed it to two episodes. It already consumed a fourth of the anime. Well its obvious that the girl in the ending will be the one who will destroy their friendship. She will most probably seduce them both and Shin-san will end up impregnating her.

Edit: I watched the PV and actually now I think this whole anime or half of it will be about the backstory. And it seems what I think will happen is Yakumo will start dating Miyokichi although he is not really in love with her, they had a fight or broke up, Shin-san is probably also in love with her so he took her in, they had sex even though Miyokichi still loves Yakumo and she gets pregnant.
AsianKungFuJan 22, 2016 7:24 PM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 22, 2016 7:19 PM

Aug 2009
Yeah pretty much this is confirmed AOTS unless Dimension W can get it's shit together or Erased actually has really good ending.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 22, 2016 7:52 PM

Oct 2014
The OP left me breathless. Amazing song and video.
Jan 22, 2016 8:09 PM
Dec 2013
Jazz OP song for a "Japanese classical entertainment" and doesn't feel out of line at all... I like...
Jan 22, 2016 9:06 PM

Jul 2015
Man, these episodes just keep getting better and better. Definitely enjoying this more than any other show this season.
Jan 22, 2016 10:18 PM

Aug 2012
basabeo said:
ItsMaz said:

In one respect, it's almost like he's performing a rakugo on his own life story.

I never thought of it that way but now I know what you mean. I don't know I kind of like how they started from the present, it makes you wonder how things came to be in the present all through out.
That's exactly what this episode made me feel. Especially with the dialogue about nobody wanting to be storytellers at the time and the concept of quality, classic storytelling being the focus of the show, the Rakugo aspect almost serves completely to have the audience appreciate the splendid storytelling of the show itself, a lost art as Rakugo is conveyed to be. Like said, it's like one extremely long and ambitious Rakugo in itself. That I feel is the true charm of the series. And because of it every piece of the story flows perfectly, evoking the exact amount and type of emotion it's meant to. Like when Shin and (the previous) Yakumo returned to Tokyo, it felt so real and came across so strong, you just don't see a story do that kind of thing and capitalize on it so well in one episode, and it's done this kind of thing in every episode so far. The series just continues to amaze every episode, what a treat it is to have two outstanding pieces of storytelling in the same season.
Jan 22, 2016 10:35 PM

Nov 2012
aw that reunion scene was beautiful. i liked this episode the most so far, really good stuff.
Jan 22, 2016 11:14 PM

Aug 2014
Xynic said:
They're really stretching out this backstory. I wished they could've just compressed it to two episodes. It already consumed a fourth of the anime. Well its obvious that the girl in the ending will be the one who will destroy their friendship. She will most probably seduce them both and Shin-san will end up impregnating her.

??? The first episode was double length, and only episodes 2 and 3 were backstory, so it only took up a seventh of the anime so far. But yeah, it'll probably go on for a few more episodes.

Why rush though? A relevant flashback isn't less important than the frame.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 22, 2016 11:48 PM

Nov 2011
Beautiful ep, cried at that reunion.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 23, 2016 12:08 AM

Apr 2013
Damn man, this episode was beautiful, this anime itself is beyond beautiful. Really liking these backstory episodes as well, and the reunion at the end was very heartwarming and sweet ~ So glad they got to reunite. The dialogue and narration is phenomenal.

The OP song was fantastic as well!
Rakugo definitely is the AOTS with Erased just a little behind.
Jan 23, 2016 12:13 AM

Jul 2015
That ending. What?
Jan 23, 2016 12:30 AM

Sep 2013
QuattroVaginas said:
Xynic said:

??? The first episode was double length, and only episodes 2 and 3 were backstory, so it only took up a seventh of the anime so far. But yeah, it'll probably go on for a few more episodes.

Why rush though? A relevant flashback isn't less important than the frame.
That's because I also included the next episode and I have a feeling there will be two or more backstory episode, or heck, maybe this anime is all about Yakumo and Shin-san.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 23, 2016 12:47 AM

Feb 2013
BEAUTIFUL. *IN AWE*
Jan 23, 2016 1:05 AM

Jan 2015
Unique OP.

What an heartwarming episode ;-;
Jan 23, 2016 1:14 AM

Jan 2014
Beautiful. I love everything about this anime so far ^-^
It reminds me of Kids on the Slope a bit. I guess it's because of the characters' design and the bromance and maybe the focus on a form of art :)
Jan 23, 2016 1:16 AM

Sep 2008
Every episode is a gift. I can't believe how in a few episodes i feel so attached to the characters already. Akira Ishida is truly unreal in this and that opening is everything i ever wanted in life.
Jan 23, 2016 2:16 AM

Aug 2013
Yakumo's narrations are fantastic as always; glad the story didn't dwell within the war period too long.

That little prance before the hug was golden, top quality bromance.

Finally get to see Miyokichi, but is Yakumo about to get cuckolded?

the OP is great!!!
Jan 23, 2016 2:23 AM

Dec 2014
great development is what I want to say. Rakugo seemed a bit boorish to me first now I am starting to feel the show essence
Jan 23, 2016 2:26 AM

Dec 2010
This anime for me is the surprise of the season. I was ready to drop it by the 1st episode, but it really picked up with the 2nd and 3rd especially the cliffhanger in this episode.

Very tight, fluid storyline. Bravo.
Jan 23, 2016 2:31 AM

Nov 2013
It's quite surprising that both (this show and Erased) anime that offer very interesting premise this season is open its story with a flashback.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 23, 2016 5:38 AM

Jun 2013
that Op is interesting and the story telling is amazing
Jan 23, 2016 6:14 AM

Sep 2014
Easily the best Anime this season. Great character interactions, characterisation and atmosphere. It's a pleasant watch for me. <3
Jan 23, 2016 7:30 AM
Jul 2013
Falling in love more and more with each episode.
The narrator's voice hits all the perfect tones/notes... and there is so much depth to the characters.... couldn't help but cry near the end.
Jan 23, 2016 8:12 AM

Oct 2013
I just love it how they started the series with the present and then they went to the past, in order to get to know the main character better and what is it that it happened that, in a way, spoiled a great friendship they had. I'm loving it more and more each episode.
Jan 23, 2016 10:10 AM

Sep 2011
This episode was fantastic, i got a bit misty eyed when they reunited. This is easily my aots and is shaping up to be one of my favorite SOL if the show stays so good.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 23, 2016 10:18 AM

Oct 2013
man I almost started to tear up in the final third when Kikuhiko and the mistress were separated from Yakumo and Shin during the war. that was some powerful storytelling.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 23, 2016 10:43 AM

Jan 2015
I'm not ashamed to report that I shed manly tears during the reunion scene..

I'm just waiting for Kikuhiko to say, "Zura ja nai, Kikuhiko da!" :)
Jan 23, 2016 10:50 AM

Jun 2015
My god, the show finally started giving me a story about the characters and not 15 minutes of their sets. If this episode was as dull as the last two I would've had to drop it, thankfully it finally moved on to the human story of these people and provided a very top-notch episode. It even provided wall-print worthy backdrop material!

If they continue on with the format of this episode, I will be much more pleased with this show and it could be one of my favourites of the season. Though I don't think I could ever rewatch it, Rakugo as an art itself isn't that interesting to me.
Jan 23, 2016 11:03 AM
Nov 2014
Another great episode, but I’m sensing a love triangle between Yakumo - Miyokichi - Shin. I hope I'm wrong...
Jan 23, 2016 11:26 AM

Oct 2008
This is my favorite this season. Really neat storytelling an unexpected wonderful job from Studio DEEN
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jan 23, 2016 12:29 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Harrymanhunter said:
Easily the best Anime this season. Great character interactions, characterisation and atmosphere.

Agree totally with this. A fantastic watch.

And at the end things just got even better with the character voiced by Megumi Hayashibara herself. A femme fatale if I've ever seen/heard one.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 23, 2016 2:11 PM

Jul 2013
Japanese drama set in the early Showa Era always appeal to me in a meaningful way.
Gem of this season. At least as good as ERASED, if not better.
Jan 23, 2016 4:05 PM

Nov 2008
If the show continues like this, it will be the clear AOTS for me.
Jan 23, 2016 4:07 PM

Jul 2015
This anime is beautiful, that's all I can talk <3
Jan 23, 2016 4:17 PM

Feb 2014
Good episode as usual this is probably the most underrated anime this season.
I really like Shin and Kiku especially together they are great.
Kikus progress is really nice to see how he opens up and became closer to Shin.
Also loved how he helped that girl with the guitar play hope to see her again.
Btw, do girls like her actually exist in RL or are they just fantasies like unicorn ?
Jan 23, 2016 4:22 PM

Oct 2011
Teared up from Kiku reunited with Shin and Master T_____T
Jan 23, 2016 5:51 PM

Oct 2013
And the show just keeps getting better and better.

Also what an great opening, easily my favorite one of the season.

Jan 23, 2016 5:52 PM

Apr 2014
bekeru said:
This is my favorite this season. Really neat storytelling an unexpected wonderful job from Studio DEEN
its expected from deen to make good historical anime

idk where ppl are pulling this deen hate from
Jan 23, 2016 6:11 PM

Jul 2010
Another great episode, I do kinda wonder though if all this anime will be flashbacks now.
Jan 23, 2016 6:38 PM

Jul 2013
You know an anime is a masterpiece when it just easily pulls you into the story and made you immerse yourself in the character. Watching this episode made me feel I actually lived during that era and that's not something any ordinary anime can do.

AOTS for sure and a very strong candidate for AOTY.
Jan 23, 2016 9:08 PM

Jul 2012
Even with the slow feeling of this episode, instead of being bored, I felt immersed into its world. The episode made me feel their sense of time, in that, when the episode was over, I actually believed that I just finished a 48-minute episode again. That's pretty amazing!

This show has been so good. Can't wait for more :)
Jan 24, 2016 1:26 AM

Jan 2015
Solid episode, definitely better than last week's
The way the story is getting told is impressive, It's different and great! Katsura's voice is made for this kind of shit
Maybe they both fall for the new girl introduced in the next ep's preview, waiting to see it!
The whole episode was very realistic, they showed Yakumo's love story very nicely, how they waited for the return, how rakugo's state was before and after, just great
Them two coming back was a nice scene
Overall a good fucking episode! 4/5
And the OP is neat.
AhoNoGinJan 24, 2016 1:33 AM
Jan 24, 2016 4:01 AM

Jan 2015
Tenth said:
Another great episode, I do kinda wonder though if all this anime will be flashbacks now.

Wouldn't be surprised if the anime becomes a whole flashback tbh.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.