Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 21, 2016 7:39 PM
Sep 2015
What do you guys think? is the best hobby one where you not only enjoy it but it can turn a profit as well?

For example being a bladesmith, you could forge and craft blades/swords/kitchen knives etc and make some truly beautiful pieces of art and sell them for high profit.

My own hobby is drawing though i'm not that good, I enjoy it. But it's not a hobby that can profit me right now.

What are your thoughts guys? do you think it's important that your hobby benefits you financially?

What are your own hobbies? :)
Jan 21, 2016 7:42 PM

Mar 2014
Reading manga and jacking off.

so in a way I can cosplay as certain guy in anime and jack off in front of a web camera and all the gay boys and maybe some girl will pay to see me beat my one eyed monster.
Eat Me
Jan 21, 2016 7:42 PM

Nov 2012
Arts and crafts?
Designing?
Websites and stuff
Tch!
Jan 21, 2016 7:43 PM

Nov 2013
Panzertreee said:
What do you guys think? is the best hobby one where you not only enjoy it but it can turn a profit as well?

Nah, fuck that.

I'll do what makes me happy. Though every time I bring up something I'm doing to my parents the first thing they ask is "ARE YOU BEING PAYED?" which sucks dick.

It's not like I don't fucking work, eh. My hobbies are anime and games, man. Smoking too if you count that as a hobby.
Jan 21, 2016 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
If I could turn a profit and enjoy it as well then that would probably be one of my favorites. It's not terribly important to get some money out of it though, I mostly just have them for enjoyment.

Music is one of my favorite hobbies.
Jan 21, 2016 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
The best hobby is a hobby you enjoy. If you made money out of it, it's a bonus.
Jan 21, 2016 7:57 PM

Jul 2012
Probably design because you can sell your stuff but also enjoy making it.
Jan 21, 2016 8:04 PM

Dec 2014
My current hobby is doing nothing.

Are you impressed yet?
Jan 21, 2016 8:05 PM

Jul 2012
Unfortunately most people that try to make a career out of their hobbies have to have 2 jobs, that or live very sparingly.
Jan 21, 2016 9:36 PM

Jun 2015
Of course getting paid to do something you love is always good but it may actually ruin the hobby if that becomes the main reason.

You'd never guess my hobbies..

Jan 21, 2016 9:39 PM

Mar 2014
I used to teach kids how to swim and they payed me to do it. That was pretty dope, but it's kind of hard when talent plays such a huge role. Some people just can't swim butterfly, or at the very least, they need to be old enough to understand that talent is a major factor.
Jan 21, 2016 9:42 PM

Dec 2014
being creative(making music, drawing, writing) is what mostly everyone enjoys. Pays extremely well depending on the audience lol.
Is this where you live?

Jan 22, 2016 1:36 AM

Jan 2014
There's a saying in my country that goes like... "Adding the usefulness to the pleasure" or something like that. If you can get paid for doing something that you love, that's the ultimate dream.

And all hobbies allow that if you put in the effort. Even loving anime/manga. You can always try to make one yourself. Although it's not easy. Because: everything in life is so damn difficult (;_;)
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Jan 22, 2016 10:15 PM

Aug 2014
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
my hobby is laying on the floor in public restrooms and getting pissed on

That's fucking disgusting. Those floors are covered in germs.
Jan 22, 2016 10:16 PM

Nov 2011
Like sucking people's dick huh?

Nothing to see here

Jan 22, 2016 10:28 PM

Jun 2015
McGibletz said:
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
my hobby is laying on the floor in public restrooms and getting pissed on

It's ok, they probably lay paper towels down first.

Jan 22, 2016 11:08 PM

Aug 2014
codephat said:
McGibletz said:

It's ok, they probably lay paper towels down first.
Ah yes, as long as they lay down paper to protect themselves, they can get pissed on as much as they want :)
Jan 23, 2016 1:31 AM

Feb 2014
Until the moment comes that you begin to hate the hobby...

But if it never gets boring to you, why not make money with it, too?
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jan 23, 2016 1:35 AM

May 2015
I don't think it's necessary to make money out of hobby but sure is a bonus to it
Jan 23, 2016 1:41 AM

Mar 2008
It should be called a jobby. A hobby as a job. Get it?
Jan 23, 2016 1:49 AM

Jul 2014
havent a "paying" hobby isnt important

its cool if you can draw/sculpt/play music and make money off it cause your so good at it but a hobby is a hobby, you do it because you like it alot, making money from it is if your lucky
Jan 23, 2016 1:59 AM

Jan 2014
I couldn't turn my hobbies into something profitable though I don't mind. Getting to work with something you are passionate about is great but how many people actually have that luxury these days..
Jan 23, 2016 2:12 AM

Oct 2011
The best hobby is something that you genuinely enjoy and try to integrate it into your life regardless if you plan on making it a primary source of income or not.
Jan 23, 2016 2:14 AM

Jan 2015
After I finish playing online games I sell my accounts so that's nice.
Jan 23, 2016 5:33 AM

Feb 2013
Can I get pay for crying over NicoMaki 24/7??

Jan 23, 2016 5:35 AM
Jun 2014
Mastering an instrumenting and teaching others how to play or making music prepositionally if you're lucky.

Some guys buy guitars in bad shape, make them look new again and then sell them on youtube.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jan 23, 2016 5:37 AM

Jul 2015
Well it sure helps if ur hobby helps roll in the dough
That would be the best job ever
Feb 24, 2016 12:16 AM

Dec 2015
I could make money off of my hobbies, but that's only if I got hella lucky and I won't because that's now the way the cookie crumbles.

My major and career path has aspects of my hobby incorporated into it, but it's actually more stressful than fun to be honest -_-

traed said:
It should be called a jobby. A hobby as a job. Get it?

Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 24, 2016 12:17 AM

Oct 2014
One problem with this idea is that some people will take up a hobby expecting to be praised for it.
"I'm going to be a singer when I grow up!"
"Oh really? I'm a singer, but I'm also a science teacher. What do you want to do as a job?"
"I just want to write music and sing my songs!"
"You might as well say you want to win the lottery because you're going to end up on the streets with that attitude. Get a real job."
Feb 24, 2016 12:22 AM

Dec 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
One problem with this idea is that some people will take up a hobby expecting to be praised for it.
"I'm going to be a singer when I grow up!"
"Oh really? I'm a singer, but I'm also a science teacher. What do you want to do as a job?"
"I just want to write music and sing my songs!"
"You might as well say you want to win the lottery because you're going to end up on the streets with that attitude. Get a real job."

this sounds like me as a kid :(

I wanted to be a singer so bad when I was younger. I learned how to sing jazz, opera, all that shit, and I got fairly good at it.
But my family always told me to not pursue it, since I had a better chance of being struck by lighting AND winning the lottery at the same time than being an ultra rich and famous singer.
I don't resent them for saying this though, in fact I'm glad I was encouraged to get into the engineering/science field more than trying to be a famous singer.
Honestly, I don't think I could handle fame and I would probably crack under all of that pressure.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 24, 2016 12:38 AM

Sep 2014
it's important I devote time to my hobbies so they keep stress levels at bay and so I have something interesting more than "hey how are you what's the weather like what's up how you feeling" generic stuff that I can get trapped in like a black hole. I guess if you are close with someone that kind of topic is ok to talk about but otherwise you won't be interesting to others.
Feb 24, 2016 12:39 AM

Sep 2009
No, the best hobby is the hobby you have fun doing. Plenty of shitty things pay, and would make shitty hobbies too.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 24, 2016 12:41 AM

Oct 2009
The best hobby is a hobby which you've spent your life for it and not even feel sorry for not doing something else.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 24, 2016 12:56 AM
Jul 2018
Best hobby is the one that makes you more happy.
The one that actualize you the best way possible.
Feb 24, 2016 2:10 AM

May 2015
The best hobby is a hobby you can use to benefit you in every aspect of your life. It makes you love life, makes you connect to people, makes the painful times easier and makes the annoying job easy to get through.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 24, 2016 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
I loved wasting 20+ dollars on a crane machine and changed that into a job of being a crane operator but instead this time if I drop something prematurely someone dies or property gets damaged
Feb 24, 2016 6:41 PM

Aug 2013
The best hobby is one you enjoy regardless.
Feb 24, 2016 7:53 PM

May 2015
Nah man, making money is just a bonus.
Feb 24, 2016 8:11 PM

Apr 2014
I take art commissions. For a year or so, there was a period where all my drawing was solely for commissions, and I didn't take any time to draw for myself, because I thought, okay, well, I can make money off of this, so I'm just going to only do commissions and no other artwork.
Looking at my gallery from that time, it's all very monotonous. The same subject. Similar poses. At the time, I didn't really mind. I was making money and drawing, which I convinced myself was still a fun hobby. But a little part of me yearned for the opportunity to draw different subjects- landscapes! people! The routine of drawing for commission had become so ingrained within my mind, however, that I didn't even think of exploring those subjects on my own. I waited for people to pay me to draw them. Which, of course, they never did, and so while the subject that I was asked to draw over and over again improved in quality, everything else remained stagnant. Yes, I was drawing, but it turned more into a chore than a hobby, and that was when I realized things needed to change. It was no longer fun, even though it should have been.
Taking a break from art commissions really helped in those respects. It gave me time to draw and experiment in things that I actually wanted to draw, instead of just conforming to the orders of others.
I still take commissions, just not as many as before, so that way I have time to make money from art and also time to explore my personal enjoyment of it. Commissions are a double-edged sword; they take up time that could be spent on drawing things that you'd actually like, but they also provide an opportunity to draw something that you wouldn't come up with on your own.
I never started drawing with the intention of making profit.
So regarding hobbies, I would say that it's great if they coincide with opportunities for profit, but it's also important to maintain a personal enjoyment of it and not give way to solely fulfilling orders to make money.

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

More topics from this board

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

9 by 0arche »»
24 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

15 by traed »»
26 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

14 by traed »»
30 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 12 hours ago

25 by Kikugi »»
2 hours ago

» What do you think about tourism in your country?

Sad - 2 hours ago

2 by Sad »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.