Poll: Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 3 Discussion

Jan 25, 2016 6:37 AM

The ending tho...I had chills lol

Jan 25, 2016 1:10 PM

That's from ep 1, also red eyes.

Jan 25, 2016 1:15 PM
Hes almost a pedophille

Jan 25, 2016 1:28 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Hiro (Satoru's other friend) is also one of the three victims? I wonder why he hasn't said anything about it...? I mean, it's understandable if he's just focusing on Kayo right now if she was the first victim but

Jan 25, 2016 2:15 PM

^Well it's the same person at all.

What if the one who murdered Satoru's mom is another person? I mean look at the murderer, he looks young and probably the same age as Satoru (29 yrs.) The murderer from the past and present are 2 different people.

It's possible that the past kidnapper/murderer is one of the adults (Satoru's homeroom teacher?) and the present one is one of Satoru's classmate who operates on the same modus operandi, a successor if you want to put it that way. The present murderer must have a connection with the past connection, probably getting abused too which turned him into a psychopath who abducts and murder female children.

Jan 25, 2016 2:21 PM
Just finished up the episode and got a couple things to say: This show is amazing and has me hooked right now. Also I think there is a strong connection between the red eye characters we've seen so far. Not that the mother's killer and the kidnapper are the same person, but something more unpredictable than that.

Jan 25, 2016 2:32 PM

Another great episode! So her pos dad also has red eyes huh. Frustrating that they can't really do anything to help Kayo and take her away from her abusive mother :( At least Satoru is making her life a little better by being her friend. Also curious to know what the scene at the end with Kenya and the teacher was all about.

I've always wondered what would happen to your past self if you were to travel back in time to when you were a kid. Would he just cease to exist? Also interesting that he's reliving some events which he had forgotten about.

kurapikasass said:
Has anyone else noticed that Hiro (Satoru's other friend) is also one of the three victims? I wonder why he hasn't said anything about it...? I mean, it's understandable if he's just focusing on Kayo right now if she was the first victim but

That's the only thing that's kinda bugging me. I'm hopping that scene at the staircase where she asked him if he wanted to walk home together isn't foreshadowing something :(

Jan 25, 2016 2:41 PM

Jonesy974 said:
It's a shame Satoru has his kid body, because you can tell he would've gone ape shit on that mother right then and there if he had the physical ability to. That scene would've been perfect if it went full plot twist and he stabbed the bitch in the back as she walked away.

That 2 second scene before the ED, I'm 100% convinced the teacher is the killer. Keep these traits in mind:
- He has been called observant and has a sharp eye
- He is intelligent, a critical thinker, which also makes him good at planning
- It's shown he has good people skills and likability and is able to talk his way through all sorts of conversations (not that he's been shown doing it in a negative way, but he is always very sociable no matter the topic).
- On top of that, his likeability and charisma also makes him very persuasive and respected. Students don't even consider talking back to him.

Now, with that in mind, think about this:
- Because he is so well liked, most people would probably take his word on things and leave it at that, especially given the time period.
- He had intimate knowledge on Kayo's abuse and her family situation. Yet he didn't seem to do much about it for how "concerned" he was. He supposedly sent the CCC there multiple times, but Kayo and mom were always gone. Why not send them at a different time? Why not have them walk Kayo home from school when the mom would definitely be there? etc. It's a simple problem with a simple solution.
- Being the teacher, he also had knowledge on the other two girls who were killed.
- That ending scene, he was talking with a kid (who was obviously Satoru's smart friend) and the kid had a creepy grin.

My theory is that the teacher is the killer. He knows about her abuse, and combines that with in-class abuse to make her vulnerable enough to kill. As I said before, he knows about the abuse but hasn't really done much to stop it. He's notified the CCC, but hasn't taken action to make sure they succeed.

Then in class he uses that smart kid to make her a target. He had the smart kid put the money in her bag (because no one would suspect the nice kid), and then in turn it causes the entire class to hate and berate her. Sensei still gets to have the face of a hero when he comes in and diffuses the situation. And he does this repeatedly; sabotages her in class to make her hated, and then nonchalantly breaks up the dispute like a good teacher.

Her abuse at home is escalating. He noted before that her bruises used to be hidden, but now they're pretty damn visible aside from her face. It wouldn't be much longer before Kyo is beaten to death or sexually assaulted by her (dad?). This increasing abuse combined with in class isolation leads her to being the perfect target.

Then he simply had to wait for the perfect opportunity to strike: when she'd be so upset she'd be in the park for a long time, and when nobody else would be in the park, nor would even care about her enough to look for her. Since it happens right before a big snowfall he simply kills (and possibly rapes) her, and leaves her body to be buried in winter.

Since Sensei is such a beloved, intelligent, and charismatic man; who is loved by his students and respected by his co-workers, obviously he would be devastated and grief stricken by the loss of one of his students who he was trying so desperately to save from her bad home life and loneliness. What better time to point out that he heard some of the students, Kayo in particular, were associating with "a creepy guy who talked and acted weird" in the park? Obviously the caring Sensei must be on to something if he's pointing the finger at social outcast Yuuki who plays with kids in the park.

Boom, he gets away with it, and murders those two other girls. Since he's a teacher, it would make sense that Satoru's mom recognized him; but not immediately because he was his grade school teacher. It was so many years ago that he, and the murders, were relevant. He gets spotted, kills the mom, and then tips his hat and lowers his head in front of Satoru because he knows he'd be recognized.

I like your theory with the exception of the bit about the teacher/Kenya being the culprit behind the theft of the money and the attempt to frame Kayo for it. I thought it was pretty obvious from that girl's reaction and what we come to learn about her relationship with Kayo that she was behind it. Though I did find it weird that the teacher kept quiet for so long (Satoru was the one who in essence broke it up), so maybe he wanted to see Kayo even more isolated. Who knows.
Modified by OxxyRoyale, Jan 25, 2016 7:17 PM

Jan 25, 2016 5:07 PM

I have a feeling the red herring's might be people who are involved in the case rather than pointing out suspicion on who the killer could be. That ending with the teacher and Kenya....hmmm.... I have the strangest feeling that he's his dad in-law or something or he's acquaintances with his mom who's the woman with the lip stick in the OP, who was the one Satoru's mom called before she died. Wild theory? yaa

Jan 25, 2016 5:51 PM

Jan 25, 2016 7:09 PM

I think the red eyes are more of an atmospheric thing...like "to drive home that this specific character is evil we'll give them red eyes."

Jan 25, 2016 9:41 PM
everyone with red eyes is somehow evolved with the murders what im guessing

Jan 25, 2016 9:43 PM

Did anyone notice this? Isn't that girl in the middle that went missing one of Satoru's friend in the group as well?

Jan 25, 2016 10:02 PM
X-axis said:
Did anyone notice this? Isn't that girl in the middle that went missing one of Satoru's friend in the group as well?

Yes, and Hiromi is a he xD

Jan 25, 2016 10:22 PM

I sincerely hope Kayo's mom dies. She's a total bitch. Nobody should treat kids like that.

Jan 25, 2016 10:55 PM

Avenger-senpai said:
Another great episode! So her pos dad also has red eyes huh. Frustrating that they can't really do anything to help Kayo and take her away from her abusive mother :( At least Satoru is making her life a little better by being her friend. Also curious to know what the scene at the end with Kenya and the teacher was all about.

I've always wondered what would happen to your past self if you were to travel back in time to when you were a kid. Would he just cease to exist? Also interesting that he's reliving some events which he had forgotten about.

kurapikasass said:

That's the only thing that's kinda bugging me. I'm hopping that scene at the staircase where she asked him if he wanted to walk home together isn't foreshadowing something :(

That's what it felt like to me! I'm not sure if Kayo's the first victim so I was really hoping that wasn't like the last time Satarou saw Hiro before he died because it'd just be like what happened before when he didn't walk home with Kayo the night she died.

Jan 26, 2016 12:36 AM

Show led me to believe that person who murdered Sataru's mother also killed Kayo. This rules out the teacher as he would be like 50 in time of Satoru's mother death.
Satoru experiences enough time skips (even though only two are shown on screen before critical moment) to assume that time skips are always in time horizon that allows Satoru to change the timeline i.e. only way how to prevent mother's death is to change events 18 years ago.
Protagonist logically assumed Kayo is the key, however it can be virtually anything, especially if you consider all time skips are close call like turning the motorbike in the frequented street.
I didn't got anything on person in the front of supermarket that would suggest the perpetrator. We should recognize the teacher, especially.
It could be Yuuko who was teenager back then and went to jail for Kayo's death (which Satoru affected by his testimony, as much testimony child can put on), however putting Yuuko is jail (which happen in default timeline) didn't stop anything, so we can rule him out.
I suspect that there may be several unrelated events going on.
It is possible that one of the kids is actually a killer (even if not intentional, it could be an accident) - especially blonde guy
Edit: School sport star is also a little sociopath in waiting - especially when story suggest that current course of events in the skating race was bad thing in grand scheme. This should potentially change something, either winning or simply ignoring the race would do differently, perhaps better in grand scope of things.
Why the events like race matter?
Well, I guess that with altering events 18 years ago is a key then butterfly wings effect is in motion.
Modified by Malise, Jan 26, 2016 12:43 AM

Jan 26, 2016 5:29 AM

This is so sad, I felt really bad watching how Kayo's mom treats her. Nobody should treat their child like that. I hope that bitch gets what she deserves in the next episodes.
Anyway another interesting episode, I'm really liking this show so far so I hope it doesn't get screwed up later on.
"He's already special. Because he was... born into this world."

Jan 26, 2016 6:30 AM
Free Shrugs

Nicely executed so far. Slight nudges of humor and romance all wrapped up in an interesting story. Will continue to watch this for sure.

Jan 26, 2016 6:55 AM

So good! I wished we have a series (at least one) with this caliber every season :D The way the teacher walks up behind Satoru has the 'serial killer' look all over him...creepy 0.0" Kayo's mum is one of those people that will bring misery to your lives so I feel for her, thank god for the Christmas tree scene at the end though.

Satoru and Kayo future relationship for the win :)

Jan 26, 2016 9:49 AM
Solid Anime my friend recommended im hooked and I will be tuned in every thursday

Jan 26, 2016 12:04 PM

What's up with the last short scene before the ED? Anyway, I hope Kayo's mom dies in a painful death

Jan 26, 2016 12:08 PM

im surprised ppl are failing for the obvious red eyes things

of course they are in ur face about it

because they are tricking u and distracting u

Jan 26, 2016 1:11 PM

tsubasalover said:
Ice skating and he led the real player win, like the real past. Same birthdate? Meeting the bad guy. Witnessing the girl with more scars, and had to lie to him in front of the person who actually did it.

So the teacher knows about it, but not sure if he should talk to others and there's no proof. The girl who doesn't like the main girl set her up as the thief, he and his friend, and the teacher ease the case. He brought her to see the rotating foxes and the tree that naturally formed like Christmas tree, whihch he saw alone in real past.

That scene at the end...

have we really met the bad guy yet

Jan 26, 2016 2:49 PM

Heart melting tree scene at the end

Really good so far

Jan 26, 2016 3:14 PM

Just seeing Sayo smile brought me to tears.

Jan 26, 2016 8:33 PM

AForgottenSoul said:
have we really met the bad guy yet

Edited the post..
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

Jan 26, 2016 10:15 PM

Equitum said:
Jonesy974 said:
It's a shame Satoru has his kid body, because you can tell he would've gone ape shit on that mother right then and there if he had the physical ability to. That scene would've been perfect if it went full plot twist and he stabbed the bitch in the back as she walked away.

That 2 second scene before the ED, I'm 100% convinced the teacher is the killer. Keep these traits in mind:
- He has been called observant and has a sharp eye
- He is intelligent, a critical thinker, which also makes him good at planning
- It's shown he has good people skills and likability and is able to talk his way through all sorts of conversations (not that he's been shown doing it in a negative way, but he is always very sociable no matter the topic).
- On top of that, his likeability and charisma also makes him very persuasive and respected. Students don't even consider talking back to him.

Now, with that in mind, think about this:
- Because he is so well liked, most people would probably take his word on things and leave it at that, especially given the time period.
- He had intimate knowledge on Kayo's abuse and her family situation. Yet he didn't seem to do much about it for how "concerned" he was. He supposedly sent the CCC there multiple times, but Kayo and mom were always gone. Why not send them at a different time? Why not have them walk Kayo home from school when the mom would definitely be there? etc. It's a simple problem with a simple solution.
- Being the teacher, he also had knowledge on the other two girls who were killed.
- That ending scene, he was talking with a kid (who was obviously Satoru's smart friend) and the kid had a creepy grin.

My theory is that the teacher is the killer. He knows about her abuse, and combines that with in-class abuse to make her vulnerable enough to kill. As I said before, he knows about the abuse but hasn't really done much to stop it. He's notified the CCC, but hasn't taken action to make sure they succeed.

Then in class he uses that smart kid to make her a target. He had the smart kid put the money in her bag (because no one would suspect the nice kid), and then in turn it causes the entire class to hate and berate her. Sensei still gets to have the face of a hero when he comes in and diffuses the situation. And he does this repeatedly; sabotages her in class to make her hated, and then nonchalantly breaks up the dispute like a good teacher.

Her abuse at home is escalating. He noted before that her bruises used to be hidden, but now they're pretty damn visible aside from her face. It wouldn't be much longer before Kyo is beaten to death or sexually assaulted by her (dad?). This increasing abuse combined with in class isolation leads her to being the perfect target.

Then he simply had to wait for the perfect opportunity to strike: when she'd be so upset she'd be in the park for a long time, and when nobody else would be in the park, nor would even care about her enough to look for her. Since it happens right before a big snowfall he simply kills (and possibly rapes) her, and leaves her body to be buried in winter.

Since Sensei is such a beloved, intelligent, and charismatic man; who is loved by his students and respected by his co-workers, obviously he would be devastated and grief stricken by the loss of one of his students who he was trying so desperately to save from her bad home life and loneliness. What better time to point out that he heard some of the students, Kayo in particular, were associating with "a creepy guy who talked and acted weird" in the park? Obviously the caring Sensei must be on to something if he's pointing the finger at social outcast Yuuki who plays with kids in the park.

Boom, he gets away with it, and murders those two other girls. Since he's a teacher, it would make sense that Satoru's mom recognized him; but not immediately because he was his grade school teacher. It was so many years ago that he, and the murders, were relevant. He gets spotted, kills the mom, and then tips his hat and lowers his head in front of Satoru because he knows he'd be recognized.

I like your theory with the exception of the bit about the teacher/Kenya being the culprit behind the theft of the money and the attempt to frame Kayo for it. I thought it was pretty obvious from that girl's reaction and what we come to learn about her relationship with Kayo that she was behind it. Though I did find it weird that the teacher kept quiet for so long (Satoru was the one who in essence broke it up), so maybe he wanted to see Kayo even more isolated. Who knows.

She could be behind it for all I know. I know that little brat is a cunt and needs to get some "tough love" from Kayo's mom, but the only reason I thought of that it wasn't her is because she broke into tears so fast after being called out. Usually when any mean character does something wrong and gets called out it, they get defensive, and angrier, and start yelling non-sense to try and justify themselves, get high and mighty, get desperate, etc. They start freaking out like Light Yagami at the end of death note. But for that little girl, the second she got rekt, she broke down, like in a "why me I didn't even do anything wrong" kind of way.

Jan 26, 2016 10:38 PM

I'm thinking it has to be someone who's in the vicinity of school. So a parent of one of the children, a teacher, janitor/school worker.

It could be another kid. But killing three kids on his/her own is not easy. Or maybe the kid was manipulated into taking part (either knowingly or not) of the murders.

If MC knows the three victims, he should look for a common link between them. Something to suggest the motive behind their killings.

Then maybe he can use that link to his advantage by playing bait and laying a trap for the killer.

Jan 27, 2016 5:19 AM

ttcchen said:
GiveMeHaru said:
Lets hope they will SURPRISE ALL OF US WITH SOMETHING WE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF.

U mean like satoru's dad being the killer lol?

Well.. something like a cooperation between Hinazuki's mom's boyfriend and someone else.... lol
no just kidding
But I feel annoyed that we kinda saw how similar the guy in the first ep and the teacher.

Its almost like a little hint. I hope it was on purpose to mislead us. THAT WOULD BE SMART.

Jan 27, 2016 5:53 AM
God this anime gets better and better not just graphically but the storyline to. Just seeing how much Hinazuki goes through is heart breaking but what gets me thinking is when the mother says that they would blame her for the bruisers, which could mean that the father/mothers partner could be the abuser and the mother is only with him out of fear or in need of something??? Satoru is an awesome kid in this episode where he not only stands up for Hinazuki but also makes her have the biggest smile :) cannot wait for ep4 cause the ending of ep 3 just leaves more questions!!!

Jan 27, 2016 6:30 AM

I haven't read the manga yet and I don't think I would before the anime ends (since I'm really captivated by its awesome animation), but I think we've got tons of plot twists waiting ahead of us... For example, I think they made on purpose that the teacher would look like the bad guy (or even the actual murderer), but I think he's got even more important role than that...

Jan 27, 2016 8:17 AM
Sanji Fangirl

And the number of people i suspect just keep increasing XD

Jan 27, 2016 10:08 AM

Jonesy974 said:

She could be behind it for all I know. I know that little brat is a cunt and needs to get some "tough love" from Kayo's mom, but the only reason I thought of that it wasn't her is because she broke into tears so fast after being called out. Usually when any mean character does something wrong and gets called out it, they get defensive, and angrier, and start yelling non-sense to try and justify themselves, get high and mighty, get desperate, etc. They start freaking out like Light Yagami at the end of death note. But for that little girl, the second she got rekt, she broke down, like in a "why me I didn't even do anything wrong" kind of way.

I think she only teared up cuz of satoru's yelling. I mean she's just a little girl so its normal to cry cuz a classmate suddenly yelled at her in front of the whole class. Or maybe its cuz her plan was revealed and she's afraid everyone will hate her for it. Plus, when someone is guilty, they might cry.
Besides, in harry potter 1, hermione hid in the bathroom and cried for the sole reason that ron said no one can stand her.
So my conclusion is that kids cry easily
GiveMeHaru said:
ttcchen said:

U mean like satoru's dad being the killer lol?

Well.. something like a cooperation between Hinazuki's mom's boyfriend and someone else.... lol
no just kidding
But I feel annoyed that we kinda saw how similar the guy in the first ep and the teacher.

Its almost like a little hint. I hope it was on purpose to mislead us. THAT WOULD BE SMART.

Yes... The end scene...is VERY smart of them to add it in. Brilliant!

Jan 27, 2016 10:15 AM

Whoops! Late to the party, but this episode was so sweet :3

Jan 27, 2016 2:19 PM

Nah, I'm not suspicious of the teacher yet. Maybe later, but so far, it's definitely there to misdirect us. This is shaping up to be amazing!

10/10 in a row.

Jan 27, 2016 4:14 PM

Another strong episode. I want to see Kayo saved so bad and this show sparked that in me so clearly.
❀桜舞う空~                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.

Jan 29, 2016 12:16 PM

I wanna know more about Yuuki

Jan 29, 2016 9:21 PM
This show holds my attention 100% when I'm watching. Love it.

Spooky how Satoru is starting to realize he's doing the same things he did in the past, even though he doesn't mean to be repeating things. Of course I don't remember what I did on a day to day basis in elementary school either so I would probably do the same thing. It's sending these "you can't change the past" vibes though.

They're definitely making the teacher seem suspicious... not sure what to think. He would be someone the kids trust...

DaisukiAishiteru said:
I wanna know more about Yuuki

Same... I agree with Satoru now though, I don't think he's guilty. At least for now.

Jan 30, 2016 3:16 PM
oreomonogatari

This show is still so good loving it. Thoroughly deserves to be the most popular this season.

Feb 1, 2016 3:43 AM

Damn it I think the smart/observant kid is going to throw a monkey wrench in all of this...

Feb 1, 2016 8:17 AM

As if a teacher would tell any of that to such a young kid.

Feb 2, 2016 4:51 AM

Railtracks said:

Just seeing Sayo smile brought me to tears.

Episode was great it had some serious Feels :.( Love this anime at this point. Glad all the hype was worth it.

Goldkoron said:
X-axis said:

Yes, and Hiromi is a he xD

Noticed it as well surprised he even said hisname in the flashback and it didn't click......
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]

Feb 2, 2016 2:04 PM

It bothers me that Satoru didn't tell his mother about the first time he saw the bruise. As a child, he doesn't have almost any influence, so he has to rely on an adult. The teacher is aware of the beating, but it seems that Japan of the time viewed reporting such acts to the police an intrusion of privacy. Perhaps households in which children were beaten were still prevalent at the time.

It would be neigh impossible to confront Kayo about it. It's very hard to talk with a child about something so humiliating and embarrassing, let alone plan anything. It's not any easier for a welfare worker. However, her hatred towards her mother will probably benefit any attempt to get any information that would help Kayo get out of her mess. Through Satoru's mother it is possible to notify the police about growing violence against Kayo, and attempts to hide it. The teacher, regardless of his position as a possible perpetrator, would most likely testify against Kayo's mother as well.

On another note, it is not the first time I've heard of people in teaching positions carrying vile acts against children. For example, there are rare cases in which Rabbis exploit their position as a person even more trusted than a person's own parent, and violate children completely unaware of the world of sexuality. So I wouldn't find it hard to pin it on him. However, the location where her body was found might imply an accident, perhaps a beating gone awry - suffocation to the point of brain death, or a strike that broke one of her ribs and pierced her lung.. Things that could be found in the autopsy.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!

Feb 2, 2016 2:58 PM

A mother abusing her own child? What a filthy person !

Feb 3, 2016 1:17 AM

Anime overuse domestic violence way too much as a medium for telling stories tbh,not that it's bad for the story, it's great for the story but really hard to watch, hope the ending for this is a good one :(

Feb 4, 2016 12:22 PM

I really like this anime! Can't wait for the next episode. Tension build up is very good!

Feb 6, 2016 8:10 PM

It takes a year to prove a kid is being abused?
... breaks my heart.

Another solid episode.

Feb 7, 2016 4:33 AM

That classmate bitch getting owned felt so good.

Yehart said:
All of these red herrings...!

Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »