Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 20, 2016 7:00 PM
Dec 2015
To me Asuka Langley was a whiny little bitch that added nothing to the story. Could could someone please explain this to me
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 20, 2016 7:02 PM

May 2015
you either think the evangelion characters are amazingly well written and masturbate to them as a plus, or think their whiny little shits and masturbate to them as a plus.

Pick one.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 20, 2016 7:02 PM

Feb 2013
Ah, sweet summer child... In a time before the Third Impact, tsundere waifus were highly respected.
Jan 20, 2016 7:06 PM
Dec 2015
RainyRai said:
you either think the evangelion characters are amazingly well written and masturbate to them as a plus, or think their whiny little shits and masturbate to them as a plus.

Pick one.

Most of them are well written and I masturbate to them

Nov 2008
Asuka is one of the few tsundere I do not like. Not enough dere. :/

Her relationship with Shinji is downright abusive, and not in a silly, over-the-top way like tsundere ships are in comedy shows but.....in a "I can't believe these two are being paired together, this is so unhealthy" abusive way.

See "Masochistic Tango" trope.
ChiibiJan 20, 2016 7:12 PM

Nov 2014
Asuka Langley was a whiny little bitch, and people like her because she was a whiny little bitch.
Also, there's those guys that want to be stepped on.
Jan 20, 2016 7:08 PM

Jan 2015
Asuka is a much deeper character than just a tsundere. Did you even pay attention to the characterization at all?

Btw, do you honestly believe Asuna, Yuno, and Akame to be better than Asuka? You're delusional.
Jan 20, 2016 7:08 PM

Sep 2015
She's an excellent character, but I think she's extremely unlikeable.
Jan 20, 2016 7:09 PM

May 2014
I don't like her at all, but her design is pretty cool.

Jun 2013
That's a very unfortunate perspective. You don't have to LIKE her, but there is a lot more to her than "a whiny little bitch." There aren't any major characters in Evangelion who aren't broken in some way or haven't done something despicable, and that's (part of) the point.

I'll link to you to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/2icz5q/psycholigic_analysis_of_the_plot_and_characters/

It's only one explanation of her character and it may not cover every aspect. Again, it may not change your mind and make you like her, but it's worth to look into why a character might act a certain way.
-Trippwire-Jan 20, 2016 7:12 PM
Dec 2015
Irrelative said:
Asuka Langley was a whiny little bitch, and people like her because she was a whiny little bitch.
Also, there's those guys that want to be stepped on.

Kinda dumb but I could see people wanting her to step on them
Jan 20, 2016 7:10 PM
Jan 2013
Cause without Asuka from Germany, everybody would be lost.

Her country is responsible for the Holo-
gone bai bai
Jan 20, 2016 7:12 PM

Jun 2012
Asukafag over here. I liked her because she was a nice contrast to Shinji's character. While Shinji wanted to escape from everything yet have at least someone appreciate him for who he is, Asuka wanted to be the best pilot to gain everyone's affection. The dynamic between the two characters was pretty straightforward and it was entertaining to watch. I wouldn't classify her as a tsundere, because she was made out to be a self-important bitch rather than some stupid bipolar shit.

Also, EoE and that fight scene.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 20, 2016 7:13 PM

Nov 2008
GaryL said:

Basically this. She's a deep character and she has issues that make her real....but man, she's too much of a bitch.

Jan 20, 2016 7:14 PM
Dec 2015
Pyro said:
Asuka is a much deeper character than just a tsundere. Did you even pay attention to the characterization at all?

Btw, do you honestly believe Asuna, Yuno, and Akame to be better than Asuka? You're delusional.
Well at least Yuno and Rei. Plus all she did was whine that I should be better then Shinji. But she never trained to be better she just whined. She broke anyway so what does it matter.
Jan 20, 2016 7:15 PM

Feb 2013
do u guys even assertive waifus? i.e. that episode where she kisses shinji
Jan 20, 2016 7:17 PM

Jul 2015
Holybaptiser said:
Asukafag over here. I liked her because she was a nice contrast to Shinji's character. While Shinji wanted to escape from everything yet have at least someone appreciate him for who he is, Asuka wanted to be the best pilot to gain everyone's affection. The dynamic between the two characters was pretty straightforward and it was entertaining to watch. I wouldn't classify her as a tsundere, because she was made out to be a self-important bitch rather than some stupid bipolar shit.

The funny thing that makes them totally unable to work as a pair is that as soon as they're okay together, Shinji starts gaining confidence and Asuka instantly drops like a fly in a DDT cloud.
Jan 20, 2016 7:17 PM

Jan 2013
Holybaptiser said:

+1. Dammit. Stop saying things that make me agree with you. I wont be able to post on the forum anymore.
Jan 20, 2016 7:18 PM

Jun 2012
cooljr34 said:
Pyro said:

Well at least Yuno and Rei. Plus all she did was whine that I should be better then Shinji. But she never trained to be better she just whined. She broke anyway so what does it matter.
What the fuck are you talking about. Asuka was training to become an Eva pilot way before Shinji even stepped into one. She was considered a prodigy and she trained just as much as Shinji did in the events of the show. That's what makes her character what it is - she had always worked hard for something and one day a guy who never worked for it and never wanted it ended up taking it away from her. Her frustration was a result of jealousy since Shinji took the spotlight away from her. She hated Shinji because he was completely aloof towards something that he took away from her, which was the affection and attention of everyone for being a great pilot, and instead of someone else who sincerely worked for it like she had.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 20, 2016 7:18 PM

Jul 2015
romagia said:
do u guys even assertive waifus? i.e. that episode where she kisses shinji

Shinji should really have done something with that free hand instead of letting her suffocate him lol. That was his only chance... and he missed it :/

love ow Anno gives you a super long shot of his hand to make it clear that he's missing his chance.
Jan 20, 2016 7:27 PM

Nov 2008
-Trippwire- said:
That's a very unfortunate perspective. You don't have to LIKE her, but there is a lot more to her than "a whiny little bitch." There aren't any major characters in Evangelion who aren't broken in some way or haven't done something despicable, and that's (part of) the point.

I'll link to you to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/2icz5q/psycholigic_analysis_of_the_plot_and_characters/

It's only one explanation of her character and it may not cover every aspect. Again, it may not change your mind and make you like her, but it's worth to look into why a character might act a certain way.

That's pretty insightful. I bet she actually does suffer from this disorder.

Jan 20, 2016 7:28 PM

Jan 2016
I understand the hate( and also the admiration) in Asuka.

But, "adding nothing to the story" is a bit too much. She basically is an integral part of Shinji's growth in the show. Before her introduction, the only girl whose the same as Shinji's age was Rei(and Rei is unresponsive to emotions). A "normal" woman(as compared to Rei), the same age of Shinji is very impactful to the story(seeing that Evangelion is more about Shinji more than anything). Take note that Shinji is going through puberty.

This was also accentuated by the fact that both of them are dealing with some psychological problems. To add, those problems are quite the opposite of each other too.
ethotJan 20, 2016 7:34 PM
Jan 20, 2016 7:29 PM

Apr 2014
>Says Asuka is whiny but says nothing about Shinji.
Jan 20, 2016 7:29 PM

Sep 2015
Holybaptiser said:
cooljr34 said:
What the fuck are you talking about. Asuka was training to become an Eva pilot way before Shinji even stepped into one. She was considered a prodigy and she trained just as much as Shinji did in the events of the show. That's what makes her character what it is - she had always worked hard for something and one day a guy who never worked for it and never wanted it ended up taking it away from her. Her frustration was a result of jealousy since Shinji took the spotlight away from her. She hated Shinji because he was completely aloof towards something that he took away from her, which was the affection and attention of everyone for being a great pilot, and instead of someone else who sincerely worked for it like she had.

That's why I think she's a very well written character. Her behavior is totally justified.
Jan 20, 2016 7:31 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion
Jan 20, 2016 7:32 PM

Jul 2015
Protaku said:

I'm going to kill a kitten every time someone pretends Shinji is whiny. Shinji's balls are bigger than yer head and made of motherfucking steel. Do you know many depressive people who would refuse the "primordial jelly stuff where there's no fear and everybody understands everyone else" just because hestill needs to lose his virginity?

Nah.
Jan 20, 2016 7:32 PM

Nov 2008
Protaku said:

Shinji does angst and complain a lot.....but given how his daddy treats him and his situation....can you blame the kid that much? He's being forced to grow up in a harsh world when he just isn't ready for it.
ChiibiJan 20, 2016 7:39 PM

Jan 20, 2016 7:39 PM
Dec 2015
Holybaptiser said:
cooljr34 said:
I totally get what your saying but when she was defeated by Angel 15 she just gives up. And I get that one of the reasons she gave up was because of her memories. But wouldn't you think she'd just get over them?
Jan 20, 2016 7:41 PM

Jul 2015
^She gives up because she's not n°1 anymore. It has nothing to do with "getting over it". She can't. She's number 2 and her whole persona crumbles because she was built around the fact that she was n°1.
Jan 20, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2016
cooljr34 said:
I totally get what your saying but when she was defeated by Angel 15 she just gives up. And I get that one of the reasons she gave up was because of her memories. But wouldn't you think she'd just get over them?

Psychological traumas/problems are hard to get over with. The whole show revolves around this theme. Hell, the whole show consists of psychologically broken people.

If Asuka or anyone in the show just get over them just like that, we would have an entirely different show. It wouldn't be Evangelion, anymore.

Or, did you just watch it for the mechas? If so, then this doesn't matter then.
Jan 20, 2016 7:50 PM

Jan 2011
I would like the story to be written to have a big chunk of what you just mentioned. I mean I don't think it'll be as gruesome an ending but the characters aren't gonna be smiling through a war or shounening through the galaxy.

GaryL said:

I think even if a character is unlikable the better written a character the great the emotional effect. She's doesn't seem like some cheap Tsundere meant to bully the MC just for kicks. I can't really go too far in since I've never watched past the 2nd episode but from what I've picked up her character doesn't stop at cliche values or have a type of dead-man switch so fans will "like" her. So even if you get chills every I'd say she's a darker version of Nadia from the secret of Blue water. Oddly enough I think it was Nadia who made the creator go into a depressive slump before or possibly before EVA. All in all, if you find yourself getting chills every time a particular character pops on screen or find yourself watching 20 or 30 seconds of an episode of a series, just to hear the dialogue, years after completing a series I would think the VA and character had some success as sch.

Chiibi said:
Protaku said:

Shinji does angst and complain a lot.....but given how his daddy treats him and his situation....can you blame the kid that much? He's being forced to grow up in a harsh world when he just isn't ready for it.
Better done than Yuu, at least.
QWERTYFish25Jan 20, 2016 7:53 PM
Jan 20, 2016 7:53 PM

Jul 2015
^Any NGE fan should watch Nadia. That shit was soooooo impressive and had Anno written all over it.
Jan 20, 2016 7:55 PM

Nov 2014
NGE does not have good characters, period.
People are just horny for some 2d underaged.

Jan 20, 2016 7:55 PM

Jun 2014
The red head?

Oh, she's hot. She can be whiny, unlike Shinji.
Jan 20, 2016 7:59 PM

Nov 2008
QWERTYFish25 said:
I would like the story to be written to have a big chunk of what you just mentioned. I mean I don't think it'll be as gruesome an ending but the characters aren't gonna be smiling through a war or shounening through the galaxy.

GaryL said:

I think even if a character is unlikable the better written a character the great the emotional effect. She's doesn't seem like some cheap Tsundere meant to bully the MC just for kicks. I can't really go too far in since I've never watched past the 2nd episode but from what I've picked up her character doesn't stop at cliche values or have a type of dead-man switch so fans will "like" her. So even if you get chills every I'd say she's a darker version of Nadia from the secret of Blue water. Oddly enough I think it was Nadia who made the creator go into a depressive slump before or possibly before EVA. All in all, if you find yourself getting chills every time a particular character pops on screen or find yourself watching 20 or 30 seconds of an episode of a series, just to hear the dialogue, years after completing a series I would think the VA and character had some success as sch.

Chiibi said:

Haha no, Yuu's problem is the exact opposite. He's so eager to attack the world that he doesn't want to sit down and listen to more thought-out plans by other people.

Jan 20, 2016 7:59 PM

Mar 2010
Asuka definitely has a unique role in the story. Her introduction episode shifts the tone of the show as we see a more open and expressive Shinji engage with this loud and boisterous newcomer who mirrors his dependence on EVA, and it gets goofy and uses cliches that get turned on their head in later episodes. That being said, I don't think she's a good character. I like plenty of scenes that center around her like in episode 22 when the Angel invades her mind, though.
Jan 20, 2016 8:08 PM
Dec 2015
CapitalistGod said:
cooljr34 said:

Psychological traumas/problems are hard to get over with. The whole show revolves around this theme. Hell, the whole show consists of psychologically broken people.

If Asuka or anyone in the show just get over them just like that, we would have an entirely different show. It wouldn't be Evangelion, anymore.

Or, did you just watch it for the mechas? If so, then this doesn't matter then.
nah I don't like mechas
Jan 20, 2016 8:09 PM

Jan 2016
ExTamplier said:

NGE has good characters. They're excellently written and well thought out.

Likable characters =/= Good characters
Jan 20, 2016 8:12 PM

Nov 2014
CapitalistGod said:
ExTamplier said:
1. I CANT PILOT THAT THING DAD ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_;
2. ...
3. YOU PERVERT PIECE OF SHIT DIE SUCKER
4. Shinichi, get in the Eva. *keeps sitting
5. Do you want to see me naked?
6. I got NTRed.
7. I think I got a boner for Shinchi.
etc.
---
Yeah, well thought out bro.

Jan 20, 2016 8:13 PM

Jun 2015
Asuka added nothing to the story? k

Clebardman said:
Do you know many depressive people who would refuse the "primordial jelly stuff where there's no fear and everybody understands everyone else" just because hestill needs to lose his virginity?

Nah.

That's perfect.

Jan 20, 2016 8:18 PM

Jan 2016
ExTamplier said:
CapitalistGod said:
2. ...
6. I got NTRed.
etc.
---

Shinji is a 14 years old boy(Hello, puberty) with some serious psychological problems(because of Gendo, to be exact). How would a boy like that act in the setting of Evangelion? There lies the genius of Hideaki Anno.

Also, that's just oversimplifying it.
ethotJan 20, 2016 8:24 PM
Jan 20, 2016 8:19 PM

Jul 2015
ExTamplier said:
2. ...
6. I got NTRed.
etc.
---

Not sure why you gave it a 8/10 if you hate the cast like that, since it's the main focus of the show. Out of curiosity, what do you think of Elfen Lied's cast?
Jan 20, 2016 8:23 PM

Nov 2014
Clebardman said:
ExTamplier said:
2. ...
6. I got NTRed.
etc.
---
Not sure why you gave it a 8/10 if you hate the cast like that, since it's the main focus of the show. Out of curiosity, what do you think of Elfen Lied's cast?
There is that thing: when you watch something 15+ years ago, and at this point you don't give a shit now on how bad it actually was.
Also, the score does not just portray the cast.

Jan 20, 2016 8:24 PM

Jul 2015
^Not sure if you're talking about NGE or Elfen Lied but I'll take it for both.
Jan 20, 2016 8:25 PM

Nov 2014
Clebardman said:
^Not sure if you're talking about NGE or Elfen Lied but I'll take it for both.
Works for both tbh.

Jan 20, 2016 8:35 PM

Jan 2011
Chiibi said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

Haha no, Yuu's problem is the exact opposite. He's so eager to attack the world that he doesn't want to sit down and listen to more thought-out plans by other people.

It's not so much his headstrong but more so how it's played out, it just doesn't seem as believable. He's got the reason to be angry and down when he loses against vampires and all but it just comes off as shallow. He could've been more reserved and his trust issues should've been more extended and a tad more subtle. You don't walk away from that trauma acting like a brash hot-head, especially since it all started hella early with your parents and you've barely seen the world for what it was before. But then again it may be easier to come to grasp if you're a certain age when everything goes to shit. Never knew my ad so it doesn't bother me he isn't there, but if he just left when I was 15 or some shit I'd prolly have a hard time.

TonyTheme said:
Asuka definitely has a unique role in the story. Her introduction episode shifts the tone of the show as we see a more open and expressive Shinji engage with this loud and boisterous newcomer who mirrors his dependence on EVA, and it gets goofy and uses cliches that get turned on their head in later episodes. That being said, I don't think she's a good character. I like plenty of scenes that center around her like in episode 22 when the Angel invades her mind, though.
The start contrast in Trigun mid-series also helps delivers just how serious the MC's predicament is. Even if he starts off as a fool if you do it right it'll really intrigue the audience.
Jan 30, 2016 7:50 AM

Jan 2016
Asuka was my favourite character in the show. A real character study; at first she seems the exact opposite as Shinji, but they actually suffer from the exact same issues but express it in different ways. Not to mention that Asuka was also deconstructing the tsundere trope. Tsunderes sound great on paper, but in reality that pairing would mentally destroy both people, as it did in the show.

People hate on Evangelion a shit ton, but please look at it more closely and don't just rebel because it's popular.
"The law doesn't protect people, people protect the law."

- Akane Tsunemori

May 6, 2016 11:02 PM

Apr 2015
Theres no reason to like that devil. Acyka is cyka! Deconstruction of tsundere? Taiga did this a lot better. EoE Fight scene? So what? It's just like how Shinji fights the fourth angel, nothings special about that. She can never solo angel (Shikinami did one so I still can tolerate her a bit) yet still whines for peeps praising Shinji who can solo angel, at least she must know her place. It's contradictory for one to have both superiority and inferiority complex.

Asuka Langley Soryuu= ALS (incurable fatal disease)
May 6, 2016 11:30 PM

Nov 2015
I honestly don't get why she's even considered to be a good character.
I mean I get that unlikeable characters can be considered good as well but only if they're well written.

This bitch isn't even well written!!

Yeah sure, I can understand that she has a bit of an ego problem and wants to stay ahead of everyone else but so far (16 episodes) the show hasn't given any insight as o why she acts like that.

She's a cunt just for the sake of being a cunt..
Jun 30, 2016 8:14 AM

Apr 2015
For me Asuka was the downside of the NGE series. She introduced all the cliches in the story and not to mention, she's a little whiny bitch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Yesterday

59 by NewestPersonHere »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

194 by ToTheGyz »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

245 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 17, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

290 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 16, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.