Forum Settings
Forums

Animation of the Year Nominees of the 39th Japan Academy Prize

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
#1
Jan 17, 2016 11:56 PM
Anime Moderator
The Idol Master

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1574
The Japan Academy Prize Association has announced its nominees for the Animation of the Year award in the 39th edition of the annual ceremony. The Animation of the Year award was made a separate category from the Picture of the Year award in 2007. Nominated works must have opened in theaters in Japan between December 14, 2014 and December 15, 2015.


The award ceremony will be held on March 4, 2016 at Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa in Tokyo. Tickets for the ceremony and gala dinner will go on sale on February 6 and cost ¥40,000 each.

Source: Official website
Modified by Naruleach, Jan 18, 2016 12:06 AM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
 
#2
Jan 17, 2016 11:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 46652
Oh man, heard good things about Anthem of the Heart! I really regret not watching it in theaters ;A;

Sarusuberi looks very cool as well, as it's historical. And of course, Love Live! made it too.

Placing my bets on either LL or Anthem!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆


watch nodame cantabile

interested in manga scanlation translation? PM me! i'm interested in working on a new project.
 
#3
Jan 17, 2016 11:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 259
Love live. Nice la
 
#4
Jan 18, 2016 12:00 AM
INTJ | 4w5

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 2866
Great to see Kokosake make it to the list :)

Btw:
arsonal said:
Nominated works must have opened in theaters in Japan between December 14, 2014, and December 15, 2014.

Is this correct?
 
#5
Jan 18, 2016 12:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24639
better than the bes animated feature at the oscers but that being said i would have put the yokai watch movie in over the dbz movie
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
#6
Jan 18, 2016 12:01 AM
Anime Moderator
The Idol Master

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1574
Forgotten_Memo said:
arsonal said:
Nominated works must have opened in theaters in Japan between December 14, 2014, and December 15, 2014.

Is this correct?

Fixed the second year. Thanks.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
 
#7
Jan 18, 2016 12:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4599
DBZ still being nominated for shit after so many decades. It's goatness is unstoppable.
 
#8
Jan 18, 2016 12:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 7649
I've seen Anthem of the heart, DBZ and Boy and The Beast.

Out of those three alone Boy and the beast was by far my favorite with anthem of the heart as a rather distant 2nd.
 
#9
Jan 18, 2016 12:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4596
Still waiting for Anthem of the heart and Boy and The Beast fansub.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
 
Jan 18, 2016 12:14 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6779
Need to watch Bakemono no Ko!
 
Jan 18, 2016 12:21 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 409
Miss Hokusai and Bakemono no Ko look very interesting.
 
Jan 18, 2016 12:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 333
can't wait to watch Bakemono no Ko
 
Jan 18, 2016 12:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 24486
If Toei wins this I'll commit sudoku.
 
Jan 18, 2016 12:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 3712
Gator said:
If Toei wins this I'll commit sudoku.

Pretty sure you mean seppuku, buddy.
"Ousama Game was a mistake." UPDATE: "Mahou Shoujo Site was, somehow, an even bigger mistake."

-Me, and probably every single person who watched those shows.
 
Jan 18, 2016 1:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4599
thebrentinator24 said:
Gator said:
If Toei wins this I'll commit sudoku.

Pretty sure you mean seppuku, buddy.
Pretty sure's he's memeing, mate.
 
Jan 18, 2016 1:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 3712
ziggy_Z said:
thebrentinator24 said:

Pretty sure you mean seppuku, buddy.
Pretty sure's he's memeing, mate.

I've never heard of this until now, thank you for the enlightenment.
"Ousama Game was a mistake." UPDATE: "Mahou Shoujo Site was, somehow, an even bigger mistake."

-Me, and probably every single person who watched those shows.
 
Jan 18, 2016 1:37 AM

Online
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 105836
I haven't seen most of the titles on that list yet but Bakemono no Ko! looks promising. Glad to see Love Live! movie getting nominated!
 
Jan 18, 2016 2:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 24486
thebrentinator24 said:
ziggy_Z said:
Pretty sure's he's memeing, mate.

I've never heard of this until now, thank you for the enlightenment.

I'm proud to have been a part of your way to enlightenment, son.

semss said:
Gator said:
If Toei wins this I'll commit sudoku.

you will xD
-longlive30characters-

Please no >.<
 
Jan 18, 2016 2:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 2159
the beast & the boy will win surely
 
Jan 18, 2016 3:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 484
DateYutaka said:
better than the bes animated feature at the oscers but that being said i would have put the yokai watch movie in over the dbz movie


not really mate, oscar have far better line up of nominees for animation this year.
-inside out
-marnie
-anamolisa
-shaun the sheep movie

(tho we know which one is going to win :-P ) but if you're saying this jap academy animation prize is better than oscar animation award as a whole then I agree

it wasnt really a good year for japanimation movies. The best one was boy & the beast and it's been dubbed as weakest work from hosoda's career

I agree that youkai watch should've gotten a nom instead of dbz movie
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
 
Jan 18, 2016 4:42 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24639
eromangasensei said:
DateYutaka said:
better than the bes animated feature at the oscers but that being said i would have put the yokai watch movie in over the dbz movie


not really mate, oscar have far better line up of nominees for animation this year.
-inside out
-marnie
-anamolisa
-shaun the sheep movie

(tho we know which one is going to win :-P ) but if you're saying this jap academy animation prize is better than oscar animation award as a whole then I agree

it wasnt really a good year for japanimation movies. The best one was boy & the beast and it's been dubbed as weakest work from hosoda's career

I agree that youkai watch should've gotten a nom instead of dbz movie


inside of a rip of of a uk comic

and

shaun the sheep movie relly that the high us aniamtion this s the state it must be in
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
Jan 18, 2016 4:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5543
> Dragon Ball ayyy I havent's seen the movie but if it has the same animation that the anime thats funny lol

Im surprised when marnie was there isn't there >:I but well, from all those movies i've only seen Love Live! and well, the animation was pretty I was really surprised in the first years performance, the lights on New York were awesome.

 
Jan 18, 2016 5:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1306
L E T S G O L O V E L I V E !
Mirai Nikki is TRASH
Angel Beats is horrible.
Charlotte is a dumpster fire.
Shinsekai Yori has no characters.
Oreimo's S2 specials don't actually exist.

IM NOT AN ELITIST

I live to see the day where Hidamari Sketch or Little Witch Academia get another season.
 
Jan 18, 2016 5:11 AM
Anime Moderator
The Idol Master

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1574
badwolf45f said:
Im surprised when marnie was there isn't there >:I

Marnie was in last year's nominee list because it's a 2014 film. It's in the Oscars this year because it was only released in the U.S. in 2015.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
 
Jan 18, 2016 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5543
arsonal said:
badwolf45f said:
Im surprised when marnie was there isn't there >:I

Marnie was in last year's nominee list because it's a 2014 film. It's in the Oscars this year because it was only released in the U.S. in 2015.


Oh, I see, since I saw it in 2015 I also thought it was a 2015 film.

 
Jan 18, 2016 7:51 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 494
badwolf45f said:
> Dragon Ball ayyy I havent's seen the movie but if it has the same animation that the anime thats funny lol


We still love it even the way he looks...
 
Jan 18, 2016 7:53 AM
Sanji Fangirl

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 24870
I don't want Love Live to win...
Sorry Love Live fans x)
 
Jan 18, 2016 8:06 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 12
I love dragon ball z but in terms of which was a better movie in my opinion I have to go with Love Live! Glad to see it was nominated and I hope it wins!
 
Jan 18, 2016 8:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1284
Dragon Ball? Really?
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
 
Jan 18, 2016 9:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5543
Chibi-Alice said:
I don't want Love Live to win...
Sorry Love Live fans x)


Because you dont like it or because you really think the movie doesn't deserve to win?

 
Jan 18, 2016 9:43 AM
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6319
I just hope its not dragon ball or love live who win this.
 
Jan 18, 2016 10:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 12359
Love Live will win this lol, those sales speak for them selves lmao
Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda. & Bakemono no Ko have my vote though
 
Jan 18, 2016 11:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 5520
Lmaooo Dragon Ball.
 
Jan 18, 2016 11:31 AM
Sanji Fangirl

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 24870
badwolf45f said:
Chibi-Alice said:
I don't want Love Live to win...
Sorry Love Live fans x)


Because you dont like it or because you really think the movie doesn't deserve to win?

I have nothing against Love Live i just don't think it deserves to win.
 
Jan 18, 2016 12:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6339
I will be damned if Love Live doesn't win. But recalling how K-On! missed out due to From Up on Poppy Hill, I am expecting Bakemono no Ko to do the same.

Aesthetically and from cinematographic point of view, K-On! Movie is head and shoulder above Love Live! Movie but I loved both movies almost equally because of the characters. So, I will hope Love Live! actually get some recognition from the critics. :)

 
Jan 18, 2016 2:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 168
Hurray to the school idols! I am a µ's fan so I really want them to win.. but what are the criteria for winning this? If it is for BD sales then LL will win without a doubt but I don't think it is about that at all.
 
Jan 18, 2016 5:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2932
The only ones that strike me as actual serious picks that ought to be in contention are Miss Hokusai and Boy and The Beast. When stuff like Expelled From Paradise can win awards like this nowadays though literally anything is possible. The way things are nowadays with the whole animation industry feeling like it revolves around whatever A-1 has going on there's a legitimate chance that Anthem of The Heart is in contention now too just for that affiliation factor alone. Guess we'll see in a couple months, but really 2015 was piss weak for movies even compared to 2014 which had excellent ones like Kaguya-Hime no Monogatari and even fun sci-fi throwbacks like Yamato Ark of The Stars. I just hope Miss Hokusai gets subs at some point, if there's been any film I've wanted to see since I saw it's trailer it'd be that one
Modified by PeacingOut, Jan 18, 2016 5:57 PM
 
Jan 18, 2016 6:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 311
Seems like Love Live! would make it since the fandom is too big lol

 
Jan 18, 2016 7:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1131
Even though i'm a Love Live trash and hoping the movie gets an award, im not sure if it really deserves it. #LoveLive
 
Jan 18, 2016 11:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1690
All of them look like a great movie. The only one i have seen is Dragon Ball, well it's pretty good imo, at least we can still enjoy the action scenes. I doubt it will win this tbh but who knows.
Bakemono no ko win my vote since all of mamoru hosoda's previous works are great so i think this one is good as well. I hope it can win

 
Jan 19, 2016 3:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 2782
UpperCat said:
All of them look like a great movie. The only one i have seen is Dragon Ball, well it's pretty good imo, at least we can still enjoy the action scenes. I doubt it will win this tbh but who knows.
Bakemono no ko win my vote since all of mamoru hosoda's previous works are great so i think this one is good as well. I hope it can win

heee, is that DB movie really worth watching o.O mate?? owh action scenes i see








la critique de l'intention pure
 
Jan 19, 2016 3:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1690
semss said:
UpperCat said:
All of them look like a great movie. The only one i have seen is Dragon Ball, well it's pretty good imo, at least we can still enjoy the action scenes. I doubt it will win this tbh but who knows.
Bakemono no ko win my vote since all of mamoru hosoda's previous works are great so i think this one is good as well. I hope it can win

heee, is that DB movie really worth watching o.O mate?? owh action scenes i see

Yeah the action scenes are worth watching imo, well overall it it typical Dragon Ball movies, you know the villain got punched on the face something like that but this time with decent animations.

 
Jan 19, 2016 4:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 453
If I judge it using the covers, Love Live surely wins with its colorful animation.
sup
 
Jan 19, 2016 10:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1728
With this Toei Animation was able to get 5 times in a row an Excellence award. Next Year with the One Piece Film Gold they will definitely get another one, and maybe even win the grand prize.

I believe this year Boy and the Beast or Miss Hokusai will be the winner.

Also congratulations to both A-1 Pictures and Sunrise that were able for the first time get the Excellence Award.
 
Jan 19, 2016 11:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2932
I dont think its the first time for Sunrise who also managed to get two movies on this list this year in Love Live and Miss Hokusai. They're so much better received as a producer in Japan and Asia compared to the west now its not even funny though mainstream critics seem to give them some respect since they're literally the only other studio aside from Ghibli to receive an Oscar nod though they didnt win in either case and god help Ghibli if Disney hadn't been struggling at the time I'm not sure Spirited Away would have won either. In any case people dont seem to realize that Love Live isnt even the highest grossing of those movies. I know it goes Bakemono then DBZ then Love Live then Anthem then Hokusai as a very distant 5th. I believe but am not 100% sure off the top of my head that the numbers in billions are 5.5 then 3.5 then 2.8 then 1.1 then some statistically irrelevant amount for Miss Hokusai. Love Live and Anthem also had some massive incentive campaigns to get repeat viewers that padded their numbers out unlike the other 3
Modified by PeacingOut, Jan 19, 2016 11:43 AM
 
Jan 19, 2016 11:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3218
ew, i hope DBZ doesn't make it. and idol too for that matter, but i doubt it. japan loves that stuff.

the first one seems interesting and the beast boy thingie i was always hyped into seeing just by the promo pics.
 
Jan 19, 2016 12:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1728
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I dont think its the first time for Sunrise who also managed to get two movies on this list this year in Love Live and Miss Hokusai. They're so much better received as a producer in Japan and Asia compared to the west now its not even funny though mainstream critics seem to give them some respect since they're literally the only other studio aside from Ghibli to receive an Oscar nod though they didnt win in either case and god help Ghibli if Disney hadn't been struggling at the time I'm not sure Spirited Away would have won either. In any case people dont seem to realize that Love Live isnt even the highest grossing of those movies. I know it goes Bakemono then DBZ then Love Live then Anthem then Hokusai as a very distant 5th. I believe but am not 100% sure off the top of my head that the numbers in billions are 5.5 then 3.5 then 2.8 then 1.1 then some statistically irrelevant amount for Miss Hokusai. Love Live and Anthem also had some massive incentive campaigns to get repeat viewers that padded their numbers out unlike the other 3


Miss Hokusai is a Production I.G Movie, not Sunrise. And I have here the data and this is definitely the first time for Sunrise. Here the other years:



About the box-office you practically right, we have :

5.74 Billion Yen - The Boy and the Beast
3.74 Billion Yen - Dragon Ball Z: Ressurection 'F'(but 7.7 Billion Yen Internationally, Japan included)
2.08 Billion Yen - Love Live! The School Idol Movie
0.66 Billion Yen - The Anthem of the Heart
143,612 Dollars(Only data that is from the 1st day sales, around 16.86 Million yen) - Miss Hokusai
 
Jan 19, 2016 1:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1728
Looking at the data again, Toei didn't do 5 in a row, but 6 in a row. If things continue next year(in fact this year), that most definitely will with One Piece Film Gold, Toei will have the record of 7 consecutive Excellence awards. Right now TMS Entertainment also has 6 excellence awards in a row.

I also hope that next year One Piece Film Gold is able to win the Grand Prize.
 
Jan 19, 2016 3:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 168
bigivelfhq said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I dont think its the first time for Sunrise who also managed to get two movies on this list this year in Love Live and Miss Hokusai. They're so much better received as a producer in Japan and Asia compared to the west now its not even funny though mainstream critics seem to give them some respect since they're literally the only other studio aside from Ghibli to receive an Oscar nod though they didnt win in either case and god help Ghibli if Disney hadn't been struggling at the time I'm not sure Spirited Away would have won either. In any case people dont seem to realize that Love Live isnt even the highest grossing of those movies. I know it goes Bakemono then DBZ then Love Live then Anthem then Hokusai as a very distant 5th. I believe but am not 100% sure off the top of my head that the numbers in billions are 5.5 then 3.5 then 2.8 then 1.1 then some statistically irrelevant amount for Miss Hokusai. Love Live and Anthem also had some massive incentive campaigns to get repeat viewers that padded their numbers out unlike the other 3


Miss Hokusai is a Production I.G Movie, not Sunrise. And I have here the data and this is definitely the first time for Sunrise. Here the other years:



About the box-office you practically right, we have :

5.74 Billion Yen - The Boy and the Beast
3.74 Billion Yen - Dragon Ball Z: Ressurection 'F'(but 7.7 Billion Yen Internationally, Japan included)
2.08 Billion Yen - Love Live! The School Idol Movie
0.66 Billion Yen - The Anthem of the Heart
143,612 Dollars(Only data that is from the 1st day sales, around 16.86 Million yen) - Miss Hokusai


Love Live is 2.84B now. I wonder why they didn't include the sales outside of Japan though. it could reach 3.5B or more if they do.
 
Jan 19, 2016 3:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1728
jayvee2016 said:
bigivelfhq said:


Miss Hokusai is a Production I.G Movie, not Sunrise. And I have here the data and this is definitely the first time for Sunrise. Here the other years:



About the box-office you practically right, we have :

5.74 Billion Yen - The Boy and the Beast
3.74 Billion Yen - Dragon Ball Z: Ressurection 'F'(but 7.7 Billion Yen Internationally, Japan included)
2.08 Billion Yen - Love Live! The School Idol Movie
0.66 Billion Yen - The Anthem of the Heart
143,612 Dollars(Only data that is from the 1st day sales, around 16.86 Million yen) - Miss Hokusai


Love Live is 2.84B now. I wonder why they didn't include the sales outside of Japan though. it could reach 3.5B or more if they do.


Ah! OK.

Outside of Japan Love Live! making more than half of Inside? Unless in other places of Asia the series is as excessively loved I totally can't see that happening.
 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »