Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer watching something you can relate to or something completely opposite of your dull, excruciating life?

New
Do you prefer watching something you can relate to or something completely opposite of your dull, excruciating life?
Jan 17, 2016 2:03 PM

Jul 2014
I prefer the opposite most of the time. I can't really imagine watching something I'd relate to regularly...

Edit 1: Forgot to add ladies in the title.

Edit 2: Removed "Ladies, "from the title due to conflicting feelings.
RothionJan 17, 2016 2:12 PM
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Jan 17, 2016 2:07 PM

May 2012
Something can be the opposite of your life yet you can still relate to it.

On topic, relatability isn't a big thing for me considering I can't relate to most of my favorite anime. I prefer fantastical worlds.
Jan 17, 2016 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Both are good, I like to mix things up all the time. But if I had to choose it would be something I can relate to. It's easier to put myself in the MC's shoes and actually feel rather than just watching with my brain half-off
Jan 17, 2016 2:18 PM

Dec 2013
something that can relate to. But mostly in any circumstance, i hate watching comedy and cheerfull nuance type of anime or movies, except those very very awesome comedy movies made by Stephen Chow [chow sing-chi] :3

Jan 17, 2016 2:29 PM

Nov 2013
It doesn't matter to me.

I have no interest in romantic relationships whatsoever, yet I find romance to be an entertaining genre, as an example.

If it's something I can relate to, I might enjoy it more... Like WataMote, and depressive stuff like Texhnolyze, but it's not something that I need, or look for.
Jan 17, 2016 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
I prefer watching you dominate everyone on Age of Empires
Jan 17, 2016 3:00 PM

Feb 2014
Usually opposite of my life. I don't need to experience more of what I already have, right?
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jan 17, 2016 3:00 PM

Jul 2014
Electricgrooves said:
I prefer watching you dominate everyone on Age of Empires
Awwww <3
RedTie said:
Both are good, I like to mix things up all the time. But if I had to choose it would be something I can relate to. It's easier to put myself in the MC's shoes and actually feel rather than just watching with my brain half-off
Something you can relate to... RIP, it was nice knowing you. I don't think you can keep this up. lol
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Jan 17, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2010
Something opposite to my dull existence
Always trying to look for a gritty gore show. Nothing has come out like that in the past few years.
Sick of watching old shows for some gore
Jan 17, 2016 3:20 PM

Nov 2012
Opposite and when ppl complain about not being able to relate to the character, I'm like "that's what makes it good!"
Tch!
Jan 17, 2016 3:21 PM

Feb 2013
I like to watch anime to escape from reality a bit so yeah...anyways is hard to find an anime that I can relate to tho, even slice of life ones I cant really relate much so, Im all fine.

Jan 17, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2015
I like watching shows that I can relate to the emotions and ideas of the characters, but not the actual events. I don't really want to watch a show that is as boring as my life.

Jan 17, 2016 3:25 PM

Jan 2015
I prefer fantasy and sci-fi so yes I'd rather not watch something boring like my own life.
Jan 17, 2016 3:26 PM

Sep 2014
I like watching pathetic fools go about their pathetic lives, so I can feel better about my own pathetic existence.
Jan 17, 2016 3:38 PM

Mar 2008
Something I can relate to but works out better to give me a little deluded hope
Jan 17, 2016 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
People are totally capable of relating to characters that live in fantastical worlds and situations though. In fact, most people get rather angry at stories where they can't relate to anyone, because it makes the characters feel fake and boring. It's a matter of empathy, and doesn't really have anything to do with whether it's exactly like our reality or not.

I believe the entire purpose of Evangelion was to have normal human characters in a crazy situation, and to show how real people would react to that kind of pressure and stress.
Jan 17, 2016 11:29 PM

Jan 2016
I prefer watching something that takes place in a different world but with characters that I can relate to.
Jan 18, 2016 12:49 AM

May 2015
I want a balance of both. I need things similar to me to understand myself better, but I must be wary of becoming too self-centered and navalgazing.

If I'll only watch things that are opposite than me, I will spin out of control and find no solid foundation for myself. Stepping outside your comfort zone is good. Just make sure you have a bridge so you could return if things don't go well.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
41 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 9 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
12 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 5 hours ago

1 by KitsuFrost »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.