Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 18, 2016 1:20 AM

Jun 2015
A pretty decent and solid episode. The OP was good...

But then again, why is this being underrated?!
ok :p
Jan 18, 2016 2:15 AM

Jun 2013
This looks more bloody and darker than Total Eclipse. It makes I feel any characters could die in this series.
I like this hell air.
Jan 18, 2016 5:12 AM

Sep 2013
The characters are pretty unlikable. I dont really know if there's going to be any development for them. And the art is pretty sub-par compared to shows airing this season.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 18, 2016 6:30 AM
Apr 2015
Irisdina is not making any sense. Why would she keep the person that freaked out during combat, and is now a danger for everyone on the team. And worse adding the solider from the other side, that has a high likelihood of being a spy to the team. The fact that Katia didn't need to be interrogated by Stasi is weird, considering all the stupid things she says out loud.

And I don't understand why Theodor would help her, and risking his life. (Which kinda goes against his personality). Only because she kinda looks like his sister, that he haven't seen in years.

So far the only person on the team that makes sense is Sylvia. Because she didn't let Katia get away with all her BS. And if Thi-Rang Pham only said those nice things to Katia, to get her to trust her. (So she could see if she is a spy). Then i guess she make sense to.
Jan 18, 2016 6:45 AM
Jun 2009
You simply cannot watch an anime with East German setting without listening to this amazing song:

https://youtu.be/1mG3BvkT6YQ
Jan 18, 2016 7:17 AM

Oct 2013
_N0NAC_ said:
Irisdina is not making any sense. Why would she keep the person that freaked out during combat, and is now a danger for everyone on the team. And worse adding the solider from the other side, that has a high likelihood of being a spy to the team. The fact that Katia didn't need to be interrogated by Stasi is weird, considering all the stupid things she says out loud.

And I don't understand why Theodor would help her, and risking his life. (Which kinda goes against his personality). Only because she kinda looks like his sister, that he haven't seen in years.

So far the only person on the team that makes sense is Sylvia. Because she didn't let Katia get away with all her BS. And if Thi-Rang Pham only said those nice things to Katia, to get her to trust her. (So she could see if she is a spy). Then i guess she make sense to.

That might not be Theodor's personality though. Heck, he might actually be a nice guy for all we know but with the Stasi keeping them on a short leash, the fact that his family was killed by them & he himself being interrogated by them, it's no surprise why he's on the edge.

It's not like the rest of the team supported Katia when she start's spouting her naive words out loud. Even Irisdina & Pham, who seem to be the nicest of the bunch, didn't interfere when Sylvia knocked her out.
Jan 18, 2016 7:38 AM
Jun 2015
King_Saber said:

because its butchering source material
Jan 18, 2016 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
The expectations are not betrayed, episode which takes up the helm, with a series of clashes really nice and no holds barred, the plot moves forward, what more could you want? Drawings and animations good, even the bad guys now have a name.
If reflects the previous series, there will be a bloodbath before it reaches the end, this is who is an anime series that deserves to be seen.
Jan 18, 2016 8:18 AM

Nov 2015
loving it so far
ep goes to mustache rocket man
Jan 18, 2016 8:21 AM

Oct 2013
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:

That's the least of the problems.
And actually you don't need to be a genius to understand that if we had a character of female sex with the same characteristics and personality of Theodore, all criticism and complaints would be replaced by praise, it would also be worshiped as a god, they would use their sad past as an excuse to justify their attitudes and personality of heroine, you would be seeing thousands of posts with the phrase: ''WaifuX is cute'', she would be seen as the second coming of Jesus Christ, she could make the biggest shit of the world and yet they would defend it to the death. She would end as the most popular character in the show, most would say that it is the best character of the show and the only good thing that has in it.

is always the same thing:

So we have the weak "beta" main character that powers up throughout the story, it's also called character development. Many standard shounen series have this type of MC. People bashing it call it ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless'' so the so-called "loser otakus" can relate to the character because the MC starts off as a beta loser and gains power and a harem.

Oh no, so let's have an overpowered (OP) "alpha" main character. He's strong from the start so unlike the beta loser main characters, he doesn't have to work his way up the ladder fighting stronger opponents. He's usually upper-middle tier in that he's stronger than most but there are still a few top dogs that could beat him. But yet again it's criticized and called self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen so the so-called "loser otakus" can imagine themselves as a super strong all knowing being. Tatsuya from Mahouka and Rudeus from Mushoku Tensei for example.

So if the main character is weak, it's bad, criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless''. If he's strong, it's also criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen''. If he's a loser, it's criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless'' If he's an alpha harem king, it's criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen''.

In 94% of the animes of MAL, has as its most popular character a repetitive, retarded and generic: ''Heroine-waifu-generic-fanservice'', with a poor and horrible writing, without POV, without interior monologues, without development, that not adds absolutely nothing to storyline or to the global story, beating in men and in the MC, mary-sue, most of them do not have background stories, the vast majority have very little screen time, the vast majority have a shit personality. Where the vast majority are batch devices for fanservice or development of the MC, or merely a character to be the loving interest of the MC.
Characters plans, in which his qualities boil down to: physical attributes (chest and ass), fansevice and and facial expressions.
of course they are exempt from criticism, are exalted and venerated the exhaustion, are treated as the second coming of Jesus Christ of course,
and inexplicably and ridiculously it ends up being the most popular character of the anime, and many lunatics still claim that these characters of shit, with bad written, are interesting, the best character of the show, human, even they having little screen time, without development or importance to the plot and global story without depth in the plot.

You just nailed it. The trend is just boring now, every season the MCs are the same shit over and over again, and when we finally get someone mildly interesting for being out of the mold, people start bashing him and the entire anime.

Schwarzesmarken just started and people are already complaining about it, at least the ambientation is proper for the world is supposed to be setted in, IRL the Stasi was as brutal and unfair as potrayed here, and characters will die with little development..because it's a frikin war.

At least we get interior monologues from the MC, and he's someone with the foots on the ground of the world he lives in. Nowadays watchers seem to hate any MC they can not identify with.

If this were any other generic anime all the characters would have plot armor and we won't see any scratch on the cute girls because it would angry a horde of otakus.
Jan 18, 2016 8:48 AM

Jan 2013
I guess I'm done with this.
Nitty gritty incompetent and inconsistent mech show with baloon boobed girls.
None of these characters are even remotely interesting. I don't like the aesthetics either. Their battle suits look incredibly stupid.

Also why are they using a computer that old?
One might think that their technology has to be extremely advanced when they have bloody mechs that are capable of fighting aliens but apparently not.
Creators of this just wanted to have a post WW2 Germany setting for the heck of it and threw all kind random crap in there.
Why even bother with that kind of specific historical setting if you wanna be a mech alien show anyway?
Jan 18, 2016 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
Meh anime, only reason I watched the 2nd episode was to see what happened to the Soviet Republic, because those aliens supposedly landed in Central Asia..... and the front line is in the GDR, Poland already had fallen... Well thank God 'Soviet High Command' is still a thing as this episode confirmed.

This anime should also be called 'Wasted opportunity', you have this great 'geo-political' setting and then you waste it on BS with one dimensional villains who are 'Stasi' members, whenever they appear they just grin in an evil way with evil sounds in the background making you gasp at how EVIR they are. That 'Evil' 'Stasi' woman with her 'lets suppress freedom/democracy/whatevs to defeat the great threat' could sound reasonable and not at all evil or morally wrong if only they didn't portray her and the speech as SATAN. Suppressing 'freedom and equality' for the duration of a conflict is damn common place in war-time in real life, virtually every 'Democratic' or otherwise country in the World Wars did it to varying extents, and to a lesser extent during other wars.... Its helpful and often necessary to win, same with increased surveillance of the population; its not 'evil'. Such a 'grey' thing was just portrayed as pitch black morality-wise just so idiot Otakus can understand better....

Oh my God why does everyone in-universe hate Stasi so much in this anime? It pretty much looks like they are necessary to hold the entire state together in the face of a strong adversary. Why not some appreciation?

Well I dislike this anime, but I will continue watching to see for myself their portrayal of the Warsaw Pact People's Democracies and the USSR. Hope they at least try to be somewhat objective or historically accurate (although they pretty much failed with the Stasi... they weren't as bad as the West likes to make them out to be).
I am a human.
Jan 18, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2013
ixarising said:
AivanK said:
So Katia and Theodor are brothers? Or i am missing something? She is searching for her dad, but he is her brother, so why is he hiding that from her?
The names of those mechas are pretty funny, Balalaika and Cheburashka ahahahaha
I still can't understand a few things in the plot, so Germany is 2 countries and Stasi are the police of both of them? Hope they will explain it better in the next episodes, but one thing i'm sure, Stasi are ass***es.

Katia and Theodor aren't siblings. Katia just reminded Theodor of his lost adoptive sister.

After world war 2, Germany got split into 2 parts East Germany and West Germany (to be exact it got split into 4 parts before becoming 2 parts but since this is a parallel world it might have been different). East Germany is under USSR while West Germany is under USA. Stasi is the secret police of East Germany, they want absolute power to control their people in short dictatorship.

Thank you very much my friend for answering my questions ;)
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 18, 2016 9:26 AM

Jul 2007
The pacing is still way too fast and shit. But hey at least it is already better than Total Eclipse trash.
Jan 18, 2016 9:47 AM

Nov 2010
Be warned that common complains about Schwarzesmarken LN is that it's sometimes going overly edgy and gritty at times. If you have low tolerance for that kind of thing, you'd better quit (or lower your expectation).

It's also quite hard to understand the setting without knowing MLA universe setting or at least some basic post WW2 Germany history (but remember that it is parallel universe and some details are actually quite different), so well this series will be always become niche.

I'm just here for the setting and TSF fanservice. Will be pleasantly surprised if this becomes very good but so far it basically goes along my somewhat low expectation, which is still quite decent in total.
Jan 18, 2016 10:27 AM

Jun 2015
Both first and second episode were not my thing, so I'm dropping it. Have fun without me~

Jan 18, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2014
ixarising said:

That's cause the BETA have laser class, the laser class will shoot down the rocket before it even reaches the BETA, that's why one of the important role when combating BETA is to annihilate the laser-class otherwise any aerial support is useless.

No, the infantry literally fired a rocket at one and it did nothing. They're doing a really half-assed job of explaining why they need mechs rather than tanks. They must not have the money to show a proper melee fight or something because as I said all they've done so far is stand there and let themselves get surrounded.
Jan 18, 2016 11:57 AM

Jul 2007
Sokah said:
ixarising said:

That's cause the BETA have laser class, the laser class will shoot down the rocket before it even reaches the BETA, that's why one of the important role when combating BETA is to annihilate the laser-class otherwise any aerial support is useless.

No, the infantry literally fired a rocket at one and it did nothing. They're doing a really half-assed job of explaining why they need mechs rather than tanks. They must not have the money to show a proper melee fight or something because as I said all they've done so far is stand there and let themselves get surrounded.

Tanks are inefficient either. Less so than planes but still.
Jan 18, 2016 12:52 PM
Nov 2015
This is Cold War politics....
Jan 18, 2016 1:00 PM
Apr 2015
ManlyTear said:
That might not be Theodor's personality though. Heck, he might actually be a nice guy for all we know but with the Stasi keeping them on a short leash, the fact that his family was killed by them & he himself being interrogated by them, it's no surprise why he's on the edge.

It's not like the rest of the team supported Katia when she start's spouting her naive words out loud. Even Irisdina & Pham, who seem to be the nicest of the bunch, didn't interfere when Sylvia knocked her out.

Theodor seemed pretty annoyed when he had to help someone in the first episode, and that was inside his robot when he wasn't talking to anybody else. I just don't want him to turn into every other MC in every other anime. I like him as someone how only care about himself.

Even if they wanted to stop Sylvia, how could they do that infront of the Stasi. When Katia spouting all her BS. And the fact that they are basically giving a enemy soldier, a guided tour on how their military and robots work, is so stupid.

I just really hope Katia and Irisdina dies soon. But with my luck they are going to stick around until the end. Because... plot armor.

Anyway thanks for responding and have a nice day.
Jan 18, 2016 1:52 PM

Oct 2013
soluuloi said:
You simply cannot watch an anime with East German setting without listening to this amazing song:

https://youtu.be/1mG3BvkT6YQ

I might just play that every time before watching a new ep :P Gets one in the mood.
Jan 18, 2016 4:25 PM

Jul 2009
lol the amount of times Theodor went "tch"

he's one angry puppy.
Jan 18, 2016 5:51 PM
Feb 2015
Sokah said:
ixarising said:

Because Tanks are not fast enough.
Jan 18, 2016 6:48 PM

Aug 2014
I'm liking this so far, even though it could be better. It has a specific atmosphere that really succeeds in the anime feeling like an actual war. The ending is pretty good as well. I mostly want to know about the brother-killer, and I suspect I'll just go ahead and play the VN sooner or later.

4/5

Tsk...
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jan 18, 2016 9:30 PM

Apr 2012
Fripside OP!

Liking this anime so far.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 18, 2016 10:30 PM

Sep 2014
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Inugirlz said:

he's one angry puppy.

at least he is not a bishōnen character with the focus on a shoujo drama, with pretty face who was obsessed by a princess, that instead of having their focus facing for action, battles, strategies, tactics, had its focus facing a shoujo drama, classes on birds and flowers and his unhealthy obsession to the princess, course we can not forget the torture scene with a whiphip classical in hentai-yaoi. with its fantastic, realistic and bloody background story, where a rocket falls in the bathroom of a princess, w that the saved, with a mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, yes scene worthy of a fairy tale and children's stories.
you became frustrated because Theodor has focus on the action, battles using mecha and in war, and his background story is dark, you felt sad because was expecting another bishōnen character with focus on a shoujo drama, with unhealthy obsession by a princess.
Where scenes in that he should be talking about strategies and tactics were replaced by scenes where he talks about birds and flowers, the action scenes and battles with mecha, were replaced by shoujo drama, scenes where he drank tea and scenes where he worshiped a princess in a tube.

You seem... vaguely familiar. Pretty sure Inugirlz was just amused by how much he made that specific noise.

I certainly noticed it. It made me laugh a bit. He certainly isn't a happy dude.
Jan 18, 2016 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
I’m sure that there is a bigger story to her killing her brother than it seems, the Satsi are shady as it is so it wouldn’t be surprising. While I appreciate the different type of MC this time around, he doesn't want to do anything he's ordered to do, I definitely understand where he's coming from but I'm curious to see what will happen to his personality or better yet way of thinking later on.
Jan 18, 2016 11:05 PM

Feb 2012
I still wonder if there's more to why Iris wanted Katia to join the group and to why she wants Theodor to look out for her. Does she know a connection between Katia and Theodor? Does she knows an importance in Katia's father?

I'm still intrigued about where the show is heading. I will be turned off if there would be some lame plot twist.

xcess090 said:
I’m sure that there is a bigger story to her killing her brother than it seems

Well, someone in this episode make it seem like it's only a lie by the Statis. He ask Theodor : "and you believe this?" Anyway, I think that would be boring.

Crashmatt said:
The MC is a bit of s dick so far.

I actually like its character the most. I don't think he's a di**. I think he's being honest. When he doesn't like someone, he keeps it to himself at least. Even though he follows orders, he still has his thoughts about them. He just want to fight as a solder and doesn't want any trouble. I mean, that's how a soldier should be. Katia being the total opposite, it makes sense he doesn't like her, for now.

Katia, on the other hand, is way less credible. A soldier fighting in a war wouldn't be as light-headed as Katia, especially when times are harsh. I still accept her because she's the one who moves the plot forward.

As for the other characters (except Iris), I don't really care about them much. They totally seem like random side characters. Since the anime doesn't develop deeply the characters' personality or background, it doesn't hit me much if they die or something...
MasterHooverJan 18, 2016 11:36 PM
Jan 18, 2016 11:20 PM

Sep 2014
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
I disagree with you.
he mentioned: ''he's one angry puppy.''

You by chance was part of select group who worshiped the bishōnen character with the focus on a shoujo drama?

Alright. The term "angry puppy" is one I'd use in amusement, but really only Inugirlz knows what she meant by it.

As for the second part... no? Maybe? Yes? You're clearly speaking in a riddle/code referencing something specific, but it is too generic for me to give you an answer.
Jan 19, 2016 2:44 AM

Sep 2008
King_Saber said:

The villains of the show are incredibly generic, stupid and their decisions make no sense whatsoever, even if we take cruelty into consideration.

The main character team consists of:
A broody, whinning guy who lost someone and now trusts no one
Team leader that most people don't believe because of something that happened in the past which is, most likely, going to turn around to be some huge missunderstanding because she did the right thing
And noisy, cutesy, loli girl which believes everything can be perfect in an unperfect world (and it's most likely going to be in the end).

I don't really hate generic stories all that much, it's incredibly hard to make something original nowadays. South park explains it incredibly well in one episode where they keep pointing out the things Simpsons did.
However. This show is not even trying. Mecha scenes are the only redeeming quality so far.

I can't bring myself to like any character so far. Any, good or bad. MC whines too much and keeps pointing out how he is going to do his duty and follow order only to question every, single, order, ever, given. Just how many times can you have a character repeat "why me"? IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLEFIELD!
The commander girl is just another good girl presented bad because we need a reason for our MC not to like her, but ultimately he learns the truth, yada yada yada.
Aaaaand then we get to the last girl, an optimist. Oh boy...In a world where humanity is facing possible extinction, commanders in charge are as stupid as they get, there she is, with smiles and joy and happiness and everything else. Ugh, I can't even begin to describe how much I hate her.

Support characters didn't really get a lot of screen time so far, can't judge them too much. There's fatherly figure in general, onee-sama figure, the silent but strong guy, retarded villains etc.

So when I hate it this much, why not just drop? Because I love MLA and I still hope this show turns out at least decent. One can always dream.
Jan 19, 2016 6:01 AM

May 2012
Most underrated anime the season

I wish if there is more bloody and serious anime like this
Jan 19, 2016 6:11 AM

Jul 2008
The only good thing was a Opening theme from fripside :D they wasted no time putting the whole squadron in a suicide mission.
Jan 19, 2016 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
Theodor Eberbach and Walter Kruger are so lucky to be the only dudes in 666th TSF Squadron. They share their harem. Too bad that Beatrix is not part of the harem. She must be jealous of Irisdina because she and Theodor are on the same team, not Theodor part of Beatrix's team. For Walter, he is NOT a PEDOPHILE! Everyone except for Katia is over 20.
Jan 19, 2016 10:41 AM

Feb 2015
i don't know how to feel for this episode.
this just way to dark. from the beginning, this anime already dark though, and on top of that they use 666 beast number. it's makes it even more dark. tbh, it's really hard to watch this anime. it was thrilling, but......bloody scene isn't really my taste. it's not like i dislike it. i like it because it's thrilling, but this one is kinda/feel different. i prefer Akame ga kill than this.
obviously, nothing good will happen in the next episode. bloody episode again. people who love bloody and serious dark story like this must be happy to see this anime but why is it so underrated?

this is too underrated. at least 7.10 or 7.20 is good enogh for this one.

is it only me or everyone are thinking
beast number = illuminati ?

matias067 said:

1st half is boring, but 2nd half when those mechs take-off CG was cool!

it reminds me of Pasific Rim.
YizelTroJan 19, 2016 10:51 AM
Jan 19, 2016 12:26 PM

Jun 2013
I know that this already has a really shitty score, but in actually really enjoying it so far.
Jan 19, 2016 1:26 PM

Sep 2013
Sometimes, it really feels great to be able to enjoy something that only a niche selection of people care about and understand.

Thank god this isn't total eclipse #2.
Jan 19, 2016 7:26 PM
Nov 2013
Inugirlz said:

Oh my fucking god that was so annoying
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
at least he is not a bishōnen character with the focus on a shoujo drama, with pretty face who was obsessed by a princess, that instead of having their focus facing for action, battles, strategies, tactics, had its focus facing a shoujo drama, classes on birds and flowers and his unhealthy obsession to the princess, course we can not forget the torture scene with a whiphip classical in hentai-yaoi. with its fantastic, realistic and bloody background story, where a rocket falls in the bathroom of a princess, w that the saved, with a mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, yes scene worthy of a fairy tale and children's stories.
you became frustrated because Theodor has focus on the action, battles using mecha and in war, and his background story is dark, you felt sad because was expecting another bishōnen character with focus on a shoujo drama, with unhealthy obsession by a princess.
Where scenes in that he should be talking about strategies and tactics were replaced by scenes where he talks about birds and flowers, the action scenes and battles with mecha, were replaced by shoujo drama, scenes where he drank tea and scenes where he worshiped a princess in a tube.

... What in the world are you talking about? Who brought up shoujo dramas?
Jan 19, 2016 7:34 PM
Nov 2013
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
I disagree with you.

Oh no, not the angry puppy expression! Sorry if you thought that degraded the masculinity of your alpha MC.

In all seriousness, your response to such an innocuous comment was completely off the wall :P
Jan 19, 2016 7:54 PM

Oct 2011
Katia and Sis are stuck in the middle of hell OMG.
Jan 20, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2015
no more long comment

3/5
Jan 20, 2016 2:13 AM

Jul 2007
nep-nep said:
Sometimes, it really feels great to be able to enjoy something that only a niche selection of people care about and understand.

Thank god this isn't total eclipse #2.

Even if it is better adaptation than that shit, this is still quite badly paced tbh. This could have benefited from being 26 episodes. A lot.

And yeah, tbh I wonder if Muv Luv actually got a proper adaptation, the bitching about "filler" and "nothing happening" would be hilarious.

ShanaFlame said:
The only good thing was a Opening theme from fripside :D they wasted no time putting the whole squadron in a suicide mission.

Every mission is "suicide mission". Pilots and soldiers are not expected to live that long
Jan 20, 2016 2:44 AM

Sep 2014
Fai said:
And yeah, tbh I wonder if Muv Luv actually got a proper adaptation, the bitching about "filler" and "nothing happening" would be hilarious.

There's just never gonna be one. How many episodes would it take? Too many. And people who didn't read the VN definitely wouldn't put up with it.
Jan 20, 2016 3:04 AM

May 2014
That 1st part of the OP though... gives me the chills
This series has a lot of potential IMO so far so good
Jan 20, 2016 5:12 AM

Jul 2007
ANGRY2011 said:
Fai said:

There's just never gonna be one. How many episodes would it take? Too many. And people who didn't read the VN definitely wouldn't put up with it.

Sunrise could do justice to Extra and Unlimited in ~52-64 episode run, ala gundam(And sunrise has a reason to do that since they are desperate to find a replacement for that franchise and most of tries failed). 26-30 Episodes should be enough for Extra part in that.

And yeah people would bitch. People bitched about 14 episodes of build up in Steins;Gate, 13 in utwr and so on. The concept of narrative structure is completely alien to most of anime medium. So 26 Episodes of build up would be glorious. An adaptation should happen solely so one could be able to witness the vitriol from that, if anything.

Black Marks is nowhere near Muv Luv level of complexity and yet even now people are bitching about it(literally someone went on how "this whole stasi thing that this invented sounds stupid")
AhenshihaelJan 20, 2016 5:23 AM
Jan 20, 2016 11:26 AM
Nov 2013
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:

of the character who is the male version of one of your favorite waifu.

I am so confused...
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:

you should read my post on the previous page.
It is very suitable for you who is a fan of the famous generic waifus

I saw your rant, I agree with it. That has nothing to do with Theodor's unnecessarily edgy and juvenile "tch" :P
(And please explain your inference that I am "a fan of the famous generic waifus". I have very high standards for waifus, thank you very much.)
Jan 20, 2016 11:39 AM
Nov 2013
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:

So if the main character is weak, it's bad, criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless''. If he's strong, it's also criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen''. If he's a loser, it's criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless'' If he's an alpha harem king, it's criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen''.

I think you've created a false dichotomy here. It's not as though there are only two options - either the main character is a weak loser, or he's a strong alpha harem king. You've missed the entire swath of characters who exhibit a mixture of those traits, whose personalities and motivations are actually complex and interesting.
So yes, entirely weak characters are typically generic and useless, and entirely strong characters are generally shit. They're both one-dimensional bad characters.
Theodor, thus far, annoys me - because I've only seen him exhibit one kind of personality in a very exaggerated manner (the same goes for Katia). But, if the story is any good from here on, he will probably grow out of his stupid verbal tick and do something interesting and useful. I look forward to it :P
Jan 21, 2016 12:23 AM
Nov 2013
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:

Rant about waifus and my Favorite Characters list that I did not read completely

I still don't understand how we got here from a comment about Theodor being an angry puppy. All of my criticisms of Theodor (besides his "tch") are in reaction to your overreaction; I really don't feel that strongly about his character at all.

Also, as a suggestion for future arguments - I think people take their actual anime list (and ratings) much more seriously than their Favorite Characters list (or at least I do :P).

Edit: Who is the "white-haired bitch" that I'm supposed to be a fan of? Captain Bernhard comes to mind but she's blonde..

Edit2: (Now that I've read more of your thing) Your general observation about waifus isn't exactly groundbreaking. It's just a fact of life that humans are not rational creatures, and will find certain characters cute regardless of whether or not they're bad characters. This is not restricted to male watchers and female characters (see Diabolik Lovers); you're simply observing that most people who show up here are straight males. Keep protesting against it if you'd like - it's futile - but I would just take solace in the knowledge that endorsement of a character as one's "waifu" is by no means endorsement of that character as "well-written" or "a good character" ;)

(It is a shame that this creates a negative feedback loop with animation companies who now see waifu-type characters as easier money than truly interesting ones, but this is now going completely off-topic. You're welcome to continue ranting on my profile or inbox)
chardsixteenJan 21, 2016 1:28 AM
Jan 21, 2016 7:34 AM

Jan 2015
Wasn't a bad episode
Okita's VA doing a good job as always, voicing Theodor nicely
Iris is seriously hot, a very nice woman indeed
And yeah Onee-chan is dead.
3/5
Jan 21, 2016 9:59 AM

Jul 2009
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Inugirlz said:

he's one angry puppy.

lol i actually agree with you. I'm glad he's not that type either.
ANGRY2011 said:
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
I disagree with you.

You by chance was part of select group who worshiped the bishōnen character with the focus on a shoujo drama?

Alright. The term "angry puppy" is one I'd use in amusement, but really only Inugirlz knows what she meant by it.

As for the second part... no? Maybe? Yes? You're clearly speaking in a riddle/code referencing something specific, but it is too generic for me to give you an answer.

lol not sure why this turned into an argument. But yeah ANGRY2011 got it right, I used that term in amusement.

I'm wondering too what he was referencing...
InugirlzJan 21, 2016 10:05 AM
Jan 21, 2016 4:51 PM

Jul 2012
A lot more interesting episode in my opinion now that we have gotten more into the characters and learning more about the connections with each other and the enemy which is the Stasi. It was interesting to learn which I kind of figured out before that Katia is looking for her dad and how she is affecting Theodor is pretty interesting as well. I also want to learn more about Iris since her past seems to be not know for sure if she sold her family out or its just the Stasi. But yea overall a good episode that felt not as fast paced as the first and gave more in terms of backstory, I can't wait to see what happened with Katia and Pham.

Here is my full review on the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoaKS54O8Nc&feature=youtu.be
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

78 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 2:14 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

76 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.