Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 17, 2016 3:42 PM

Oct 2013
A lot better compared to last week's episode, slower pacing, less fan service, more attention to the world and characters. Hope it continues on like this.

Jan 17, 2016 3:49 PM

Jul 2011
Is Ranta going to ruin every episode? Seriously? My impression of the show would be fairly high without this stupid moron. The show does the realism strangely well, but Ranta pisses me off because everything else is pretty much taken seriously.

That battle with the goblin... I think that's the first time I've felt sorry for the things. Don't they usually disappear with sparkles and stuff? The realistic route is rather cruel. D:
Jan 17, 2016 4:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Really liked this episode as well, especially with the realism. I'd probably be traumatized like them, or have a hard time killing the goblin once I realized that I'm actually killing a sentient being. Ranta's reaction to having his knife hit the goblin's bone was just one example of how they're trying to establish that this isn't a game, and that people who have never killed before could get scared. Although I don't like the way Ranta acts normally, I like that at least he's given some depth. He's not just the loud and idiotic one, he's very much like the rest of the party when it comes to hunting. It's really not something easy to stomach at first for many, having to kill for the first time. Not to mention, it's a kill or be killed situation, like Ranta said. There's also a lot of stress and tension. I do think they could've used a different bgm during that scene though, it was odd to have a rockish song all the way until they "defeated" the goblin. It took part of the impact away from when Haruhiro was stabbed and fearing for his life.

While the insert song scene was longer than I expected it would be, I thought it was still rather fitting. Yes they just experienced something traumatic, but given that they would have to keep doing this, there's no reason for them to stay depressed. Which is why I like how it just showed them going about their normal lives when they're not fighting/training. You can tell they weren't completely over it. Some of them were probably thinking about it, or reality has really hit them as to what it means to kill goblins. Others were probably trying not to think about it, thus going out shopping, or sculpting an airplane. If I were them, I'd try not think about it too hard as well. It's the only way they can survive. The slice of life scene was also probably the calm before the storm...since you feel safe and relaxed for the rest of the episode.

And about Ranta again, I feel like he's partially acting the way he is for a reason. I could be wrong though, but I'd like to think that there's more to him, as we've seen that even he can be depressed and feel traumatized.

Paulo27 said:
Also, if anyone is wondering, the person who voices the goblin is...

Omg lol.
Jan 17, 2016 4:20 PM

Apr 2011
People say that this shows what happens to the weak in RPG themed shows: they are dead wrong.
you see people in the games Know it's a game ; bound By Game laws, patterns and algorithms. the knowledge that what they are seeing is Not Living or Breathing by any means and that they have another home to go to, so it dulls their sense of compassion. how ever in Hai to gensou no grimgar : this is their life,and the beasts have extremely Human like behavior : hence the reason they are so reluctant to kill.
Jan 17, 2016 4:35 PM

Jan 2011
I for one really enjoyed this episode when your so used to RPGs and mmos you just sit back and laugh man just one goblin should be so easy! but in reality especially for newbies it isn't and that intense fight portrayed just that they are pretty much fighting what could be considered another human.

only problems so far like i said before with this just being a 1 cour while this pacing is slow but nice i doubt a lot will happen,and the insert song went on a little to long and could be seen as jarring coming from what just happened.

Yume pls if only she was a thief i could pretend shes Rose from Tales of Zesty
Jan 17, 2016 4:42 PM

Jun 2008
@tingy
You probably won't be traumatized like them, because I believe you will be more sensible than them, and not put yourself in a position like that...

To describe this anime so far is simply "realistically unrealistic"

Comparatively speaking, imagine you were attacked by a gang with a baseball bat and ended up with amnesia, then tossed in a shipping container and find your self waking up in the middle of africa with no memories whatsoever.
When you wake up in this new foreign environment with no recollections of the past, is the most sensible plan really to join up with the closest warlord in the neighborhood and kill whoever they deem evil for pay? Wouldn't the more sensible thing to do be to find freelance or labor work in the town that you were conveniently in, and earn sufficiently enough to cover for room and board, then try to figure things out a bit?
Sure brigandage pays better than laboring in town, especially with all the pilfering involved; but who would choose that job as a first option when nonlethal alternatives are available?

This group of kids is so far detached from a sensible reality that they did not hesitate to join up with privateering work, even after understanding that the job involved killing. They may lack memories, but they shouldn't lack common sense, and it is against common sense to be comfortable with killing unless there is a sufficiently strong underlying incentive to do so. (We call that either patriotism or a ton of moolah, neither of which they have an immediate need for)

People whose first response when coming down with amnesia in a foreign place is "lets make some money by killing stuff" should not deserve any of our sympathy. The word we use to describe them in the modern world is "sociopath," and this bunch of kids is a whole lot of them ;p (In the same vein as some random FPS player that think they can just pick up a rifle and go join the military to deal out headshots deserve our sympathy when he realize firing bullets at real humans is different than shooting pixels with flashy headshot! banners flying about)

tl;dr, unless you are a sociopath subconsciously or pathologically detached from reality, you would not so quickly decide in a job that involve killing sentient life. So the realism is that you will never be put in a situation like they were in without prior mental preparation. (Not their form of lackadaisical "grinding monsters" mentality)
Jan 17, 2016 4:42 PM

May 2009
katsu044 said:
Yume pls if only she was a thief i could pretend shes Rose from Tales of Zesty

Yume wanted animal sidekick, that's why she chose this class.
Jan 17, 2016 4:45 PM

Apr 2015
zephiris said:
Babble babble.

Tylaen said:

Checking out other options and not committing to the offer the gay guy proposed would have left that individual without coin to survive. Unless you're already experienced at surviving In the wild, you have nothing to trade for and therefore you're relying on pure kindness to get you through the day.

Naturally, said person could refuse and tag along with the losers In this episode however that would just mean they weren't contributing to the whole by accepting the coin the gay guy gave, leaving them with less coin to survive.

Bri says an interesting line while doing his exposition talk. "Don't think there are other types of menial labours to do." This could imply several things, including that those In charge of the organization are deliberately preventing the people they find In the tower from acquiring jobs outside of what they offer them.

Basically, a low-key threat. I'm not interested In discussing anything outside of this episode and I have already voiced concerns In this thread previously, so don't think I'm defending it due to undying faith.

Took this from the episode 1 discussion, as you seem to have neglected reading it as well as not paying any attention during episode 1.
Jan 17, 2016 4:49 PM

Apr 2014
Pretty cool first half, with good animation and really good voice acting (For the goblin that is)
Jan 17, 2016 4:50 PM
Feb 2012
The difficulty of defeating that solitary goblin reminded me of the horrors of the first enemies encountered outside the starting areas in Final Fantasy 11...
Jan 17, 2016 4:55 PM

Jan 2011
It wasn't too bad for me. They did good showing the characters reactions as the goblin passed. I mean they for all intents and purpose seemed like regular kids before all this shit happened so murdering a lone goblin was definitely tough on their psyche. That insert felt a tad awkward. I had to check to be sure it wasn't the 10th ep. I would've preferred they didn't waste time on the insert or the redhead's perversion. But whatever it looks like it could get intense as time goes on, and considering some of the other shows that I've seen from this season this so far I have a little hope for. Oddly this one was called out as shit from the start, but it seems to have way more depth than the others.
Jan 17, 2016 4:57 PM

Mar 2013
if they're going to be so tasteless as to have the characters peep on the girls in the bath, they ought to at least be shameless enough to show it rather than playing it for nothing other than cheap comedy

and they even failed at that.
Jan 17, 2016 5:01 PM

May 2015
Great episode, love this show's OST. That fight was pretty intense. Somehow I felt sorry for that goblin, since he was all alone, lol. The rest was pretty chill, and I loved it.

Jan 17, 2016 5:02 PM

Mar 2014
fst said:
if they're going to be so tasteless as to have the characters peep on the girls in the bath, they ought to at least be shameless enough to show it rather than playing it for nothing other than cheap comedy

and they even failed at that.
pls buy the BDs™.
Jan 17, 2016 5:03 PM
Feb 2015
I enjoyed the start of this ep but after that it wasn't that enjoyable imo. The insert song would've been fine if they made the whole scene shorter - it just felt werid after a minute.

I did enjoy the fact that the characters are dealing with the whole concept 'kill or be killed', especially since the goblin reacted in the way that it did.

I think if the series gradually picks up pace and has focus on character development then it'll turn out to be a great series!
Jan 17, 2016 5:03 PM

Oct 2015
The first episode of Grimgar took a different route of your typical MMORPG whereby the characters don't remember anything. However, the second episode doesn't really take a clear cut direction on where the series is going and takes a very vague route instead which can be a problem in which I expect to be a 12 episode series.

That being said, the music is enjoyable so far as well as the goblin fight. It also shows some 'minor' personality of the characters which I hope is reflected further in the coming episodes. Side note; I thought that Haruhiro and friends were going to get ganged when the goblin screamed.
Jan 17, 2016 5:18 PM

Apr 2014
Haha their party have such a hard time dealing with 1 globin...
Next episode should be fun...
Jan 17, 2016 5:23 PM

Nov 2011
Great opening, followed up by an intense fight, followed up by complete and utter bullshit. WHY have a song as soon as the second half starts?

Also I was hoping for 0 Romance in this anime, and for an episode and a half I thought I would get it...I thought wrong.

Let the shipping begin
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 17, 2016 5:35 PM

Mar 2013
This episode was fantastic.

The gripping fight to the death that caught a battle of six humans versus one goblin in all its horror was mind numbing. Then to follow that eloquent scene up with six minutes of wa- I mean music was fantastic. I watched twenty plus minutes of anime and felt like I only watched ten minutes of anime... because that IS all we got.

When I say this episode was "fantastic", I meant fantastically awful. I can only imagine that there were three different directors working on three separate episodes which had to be Frankensteined together.
Jan 17, 2016 5:39 PM

Jan 2015
Tylaen said:
bobzanny said:

Exactly it adds nothing to the episode what so ever same as last week.

I don't find the display of group dynamic, nor Ranta's obvious horny'ness to add "nothing", moreso that you simply care little for the display of such mundane teenage conversation.

It's more so the fact that A-1 cut out the better portion of the peeking situation that acutally elaborates on the group dynamic instead of just "Ranta wants to see naked girls, we all get in trouble."
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jan 17, 2016 5:57 PM
Jul 2018
So far i'm enjoying the show, and the art is amazing
Jan 17, 2016 5:59 PM

May 2010
Hurray~~ team teletubbies' 1st win but the VA for thief & priest need to swap.
Jan 17, 2016 6:05 PM

Apr 2015
bobzanny said:

It's more so the fact that A-1 cut out the better portion of the peeking situation that acutally elaborates on the group dynamic instead of just "Ranta wants to see naked girls, we all get in trouble."

Starting with Ranta going out of bed with the "Be back In a jiff" line, we learn that he Is a very proactive pervert, as well as a poeticly shameless one; Inferred by his oddly detailed description of the opportunity. Haruhiro initially doesn't pick up on the intent which might either just be a standard protagonist trope or he just isn't very quick at reading between the lines. Not to mention he actively discourages Ranta from the act, despite him passively ogling them and obviously being interested In the episode one "boob talk" scene.

This may just be a textbook scene; no need to point it out. I'm remaining optimistic.

I will agree that the following scene where he runs out and gets kicked out not really adding anything of significance.
Jan 17, 2016 6:08 PM

Jun 2014
the goblin fight was nice. after that it bored me to dead
Jan 17, 2016 6:14 PM

Apr 2015
As a somewhat fan of the LN's this episode left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

At first I was hoping they would expand more on the characters and how they met in like they did in the LN but it seems like they're just not even bothering with some sort of 'backstory'. So once again the characters feel 1 dimensional as fuck except for Ranta.

They tackled the weight you feel when taking another life, fairy well mind you, which surprised me A LOT and left me at the edge of my seat going OH MY!

There were serious animation inconsistencies which I hope don't continue. That insert song placed in for 4 minutes was not needed and honesty just shows that A-1 isn't even trying.

The bath scene was all right, I didn't mind it personally, but there is still painful character dialogue especially at the start and useless monologues.

Better than last episode 3.2/5

Ranta best boy.

JkayWJan 18, 2016 11:43 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2016 6:19 PM

Jul 2010
i feel like the pacing is too slow for my tastes
Jan 17, 2016 6:25 PM

Feb 2011
what a bunch of noobs. i woulda wrecked that goblin

Jan 17, 2016 6:26 PM

Oct 2013
The pacing was awful IMO, and I'm not even a person that complains about pacing too often. Literally all that happens is that they fought a goblin, after beating him we get lady singing in the background while we watch the characters do their daily activity, then at the end the generic bath scene. The end!

I do enjoyed how they struggle to beat the goblin though, its more realistic since they are new to all this. The episode overall wasn't bad, but the pacing was too slow in my opinion.
Jan 17, 2016 6:27 PM

Apr 2015
ErecTV said:
what a bunch of noobs. i woulda wrecked that goblin

Of course you would, Chinese Electric Batman.
Jan 17, 2016 6:35 PM

Oct 2009
Oh man i feel so relaxed watching this anime, and it feels like a summer anime aswell.
Jan 17, 2016 6:50 PM

Aug 2015
Loved the goblin scene and I liked the way they tackled the psychological aspect of killing a living being, good for them to have their very first kill lol but felt bad for that goblin though.
MizunashiJan 18, 2016 12:01 AM
Jan 17, 2016 7:00 PM

Aug 2013
the only good thing about grimgar
Jan 17, 2016 7:06 PM

Nov 2011
Well, that was intense. I have a feeling someone gonna die or something.

Jan 17, 2016 7:07 PM

Jan 2013
I can't believe that they almost let Haruhiro die, I know they were afraid, but still... they were simply standing there watching hi die..
At least they managed to kill that goblin, this is their firs successful hunt xD
Yume so cute :3 That beginning of the episode when she was watching that goblin, nice butt hahahaa
One of the made a plane out of wood, but he probably doesn't know what is that but they can still remember some things from our world.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 17, 2016 7:08 PM

Jul 2013
animefan8800 said:
Such trouble to kill one goblin six on one. This series is definitely taking baby steps. And yet the laidback pacing is somehow mesmerizing. I feel as if I could watch a hundred episodes and not get bored.

"Mesmerizing" is the perfect word for how I feel about the series as well. Granted I'm a huge slice of life fan, so this episode was right up my alley, but I love the peaceful feel to the anime thus far. Having that insert song made the scene feel like more of a series conclusion, rather than a second episode. I'm not complaining though; I love the anime's atmosphere.

Personally I appreciate that our main characters aren't skilled in fighting or anything. I've seen people comparing this show to SAO, but the fact that the main characters are inept at fighting proves they're the opposite of the character archetypes we saw in SAO. Plus, their struggle to kill a single goblin felt more relatable (since I know I'd be inept at fighting too).

When an anime features characters who are badass from the start, we often don't get to see all the moral and emotional quandaries that come with killing another living thing. It was nice to see these characters struggle with something that I've tended to overlook.
Jan 17, 2016 7:23 PM
Jan 2016
KaiserBait said:
Well, that was intense. I have a feeling someone gonna die or something.

Me too.

I mean that nice serene background music with hues of sky in a lacklustering outset of the sea contrasting with that intense dramatic fight. It's completely, calm and still. All life goes well.

Jan 17, 2016 7:25 PM

Jan 2016
Since a friend recommended me to this, I would like to punch him in the face. This is just sad, watching a train wreck is not fun. I will borrow my friend's line, "Ikkitousen poses." That is reaching for a fan base that is not welcoming it, when it is presenting it like a reality vs the video game genre.
Elementary my dear Watson, Elementary...
Jan 17, 2016 7:37 PM
May 2015
Episode 2 !!!!!
aaannddddddddd
just like that !? omg lol
more like "summer class group camp" lelelelelel

well still, beeeaauutiful *claps* (no sarcasm, i mean it)

BTW there's still people around that "game this", "MMO that"
to me this is just a "spirited away"
kura-kura-tamaJan 17, 2016 7:41 PM
Jan 17, 2016 7:48 PM

Apr 2015
Well ...

It hasn't been a great experience so far but the 1st half of the episode was good but god, the red hair guy was annoying as hell !!

The fight with the goblin was funny b'cause it seems their party had no skill whatsoever even tough the guy was alone + it should have died after the first few hits, the rest was exagerated just to make the watcher feels something.

Now the 2nd part ...

- Boring
- Doesn't bring anything on the table
- Lazy animation( Toei level)
- A BGM which was not needed at all
- The bath scene was pointless ( Filer,filer,filer ... )
- At least, the visual are really good !

Conclusion : The 1st episode was better but it wasn't even that good. Hope the next one will change my opinion because I'm gonna quit otherwise.

5/10
Jan 17, 2016 8:07 PM

Aug 2014
I... never thought I'd feel so sorry for a goblin.

First part was entertaining and good, but the song wasn't a good choice, and neither was the bath scene, though from what i'm reading it could have been much worse. Overall it wasn't bad, plus it's actually refreshing to see so much fail when it comes to fighting.

Eaen said:

Nice, thanks for that. For this series it's honestly more entertaining to read than to watch.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jan 17, 2016 8:07 PM

Apr 2009
does not deserve these scores.. loved the inserted song

what was that inserted song is that the closing song?
Jan 17, 2016 8:09 PM

Feb 2008
Uhh the second half of the episode was such a waste of time... The scenery is nice and all, but this show is incredibly slow. 5/10
Jan 17, 2016 8:12 PM

Apr 2009
LeFlower-kun said:
Wow this was a beautiful episode, I loved the montage bit with the insert song playing depicting the character's interactions and the world they live in now. Quite sentimental I must say~ The visuals look really beautiful too, matching well with the soothing ost, making it touching. Chars are quite likable and fun too. OP song sounds nice!

agreed ;p;p
gust11 said:
I'm okay with the pacing, although it's really a shame that this is only gonna be 1-cour. As a reader of the LN I wish the anime had more time to show the great LN that it's adapting but whatever, life's just like that :/

Also dang, that foreshadowing in the OP. Not that anyone other than LN readers would note it xD

could be more seasons
Jan 17, 2016 8:58 PM

Oct 2013
Vanschia said:
the only good thing about grimgar

I agree.

She's got a nice butt~
Jan 17, 2016 9:03 PM

Jul 2011
The goblin scene was absolutely brutal, and left a sour taste in my mouth, which I assume is a huge success. I felt kind of bad for little gobs there!

The insert song had me on the fence. It was kind of nice I guess, but that time could have been better spent on basically anything else. I would have even preferred them cutting the song for a glimpse of the baths. That's just me though ;)

Overall, I think this episode was MUCH better than the first, which just felt ridiculously rushed, and like they cut out all the wrong scenes.
Jan 17, 2016 9:09 PM

Sep 2015
Says a lot about the lack of depth/interest in the characters in this anime when i end up rooting for the goblin rather than the protagonists. Also, did they not have enough dialogue written for this episode? They seemed to just pad out the final quarter of the episode with a needlessly long song.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Jan 17, 2016 9:51 PM

Jul 2015
xSanox said:
making me feel bad for the goblin. little guy just wanted to get some water

That whole scene with him trying to survive was wow...

I felt even more sad when they showed the goblins being chill with each other in the first episode just like regular people

"Kill or be killed" theme is already leaving mental effect

RIP goblin
terminador_2397Jan 17, 2016 10:06 PM
Jan 17, 2016 10:15 PM

Nov 2014
Man everyone's talking about they like how laid back and great it is and all that, and I found myself a little bit agitated.

I get it, I totally do -- they weren't born it his world. They're having serious trouble adapting, and the concept of killing things is totally foreign to them. But when I watched our thief guy getting stabbed and pushed to the ground, nearly strangled to death, having to fend for himself while his group LITERALLY surrounded the scene and just watched their friend being slowly killed for quite a while before anyone mustered the courage to intervene, I couldn't help but feel a bit agitated.

I know my opinion certainly won't seem very popular. I don't expect this to be a show about them pulling out their secret powers and owning shit. I'm sure this will be more about their relationships and ups and downs as they adapt to a world they don't belong in, or die trying. I don't think I could stomach many more of those blunders of fights though.
Jan 17, 2016 10:31 PM

Sep 2012
People apparently expect them to murder that goblin with ease while we know they had trouble with the same type of monster in previous episode.
Moreover, it is also known that they're kinda consisted of leftover member while the more capable one goes to the capable group.
It is no wonder they're struggling. This is not rpg, this is rpg-like world. They cant open status and add point to increase their strength either. They had no choice but to accumulate experience from real fight.
Different story if u though u could KILL goblin with "YOURSELF" and not your in game character. well, not that goblin exist anyway
Jan 17, 2016 10:39 PM
Oct 2014
sirflimflam said:
But when I watched our thief guy getting stabbed and pushed to the ground, nearly strangled to death, having to fend for himself while his group LITERALLY surrounded the scene and just watched their friend being slowly killed for quite a while before anyone mustered the courage to intervene, I couldn't help but feel a bit agitated.

I know my opinion certainly won't seem very popular. I don't expect this to be a show about them pulling out their secret powers and owning shit. I'm sure this will be more about their relationships and ups and downs as they adapt to a world they don't belong in, or die trying. I don't think I could stomach many more of those blunders of fights though.

I think the blunders are the best part. These guys aren't fighters. It adds to the realism (perhaps verisimilitude is a better word). You can see it in how they were slipping around in the mud. That detail for some reason really provided an immediacy of threat to that scene, and especially to the effect of being off-balance. One false move and that single goblin could kill someone. If I was in that situation, I'd totally be jumpy and mess up too. Of course, I'm sure they'll improve (the mage chick actually landed a hit). I just hope they don't lose the intensity (or specificity of detail) that failed ambush had.
"The only thing I still write is a list of people I'll never forgive" - Hikigaya 8man
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

466 by T-h-u-n-d-e-r »»
Apr 22, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

230 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 12, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.