Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 15, 2016 5:55 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well I thought that was kinda cute especially with the relationship of Mavis and Zera.

Interesting to see Yuri animated. I mean, he is a fairly important character with connections to the original Fairy Tail and I think his VA did a neat job portraying his character. Kinda interesting to see a glimpse of his magic as well.

The game he challenged Mavis to wasn't that interesting imo but does build a connection between them. Mavis determined as ever~
Jan 15, 2016 6:39 PM

Feb 2014
Great episode, I was afraid that they were gonna drag this part out but it was a perfect adaptation. Looks like next week's episode is gonna be anime original tho. Hoping its good
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Jan 15, 2016 6:48 PM

Dec 2013
Really good episode. Loved their little game. Mavis was impressive this episode with how she outsmarted Yuri.
Jan 15, 2016 7:01 PM
Aug 2015
wow that end was actually quite sad, poor Mavis T.T
PogChamp
Jan 15, 2016 7:01 PM
Apr 2015
Yuriy is animated. yass. i hope they maintain this pace. it's good, like the manga.
Jan 15, 2016 7:10 PM
Sep 2012
Wow what a great episode, I really like the music, so different from the regular show.

When I first read this chapter, I was shocked that Zera was alive, last time we saw her, it was very strongly implied she died. Though they reveal Mavis age, but not Zera.

We meet Yuri, he is younger than he looks, I wonder if they are from a treasure hunting guild since we know they exist.

I tell you that game was so intense, and Mavis was so cool under pressure. Mavis tricks him into winning this game, and we meet the rest of the Fairy Tail founders, Precht, and Warrod.

Turns out the treasure the Tenrou Jade is gone, it was took by Blue Skull. Looks like Mavis is going with those guys to get it back. A good old fashion adventure begins.

I tell you I was so worried how the anime was going to handle the Yuri meets Zera scene. They get a good job not to give everything away, I will leave it that.

Next week is filler, this week we adapt chapter 2 and 3, the episode two weeks from now is named after chapter 4, so next week it is filler, and looks like it will be a fun adventure. Can't wait.
Jan 15, 2016 7:10 PM

Mar 2012
It's sad isn't it if you already know.

On the other hand they are doing AO already next episode.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 15, 2016 8:00 PM

Jun 2014
Mavis is such a goddamn troll lol. Seemed like some ominous foreshadowing at the end there......

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal out of Zera being alive, and why it seems like such a shocker........she's in the damn opening.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 15, 2016 9:16 PM

Mar 2013
The game was interesting for the most part. I liked Mavis' trolling.

Lol, next week's episode doesn't look familiar at all, guessing it's anime original content. Looking forward to it.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Jan 15, 2016 9:22 PM

Jul 2012
I really enjoyed this episode, Loved seeing Yuri and Mavis meet for the 1st time and him try to beat her in that game yet he got so outsmarted and outplayed by Mavis. Its also interesting to see the whole Zera thing as many things point to her being all in Mavis's head from Zera not having an age to never helping Mavis move anything to Yuri's reaction. I can't wait to see how the next episode goes as Mavis is now with them going on a journey that will have some bad things happen as Yuri gave some foreshadowing of something bad happening at the end to Mavis.

Here is my full review on the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSePN4nmJNo&feature=youtu.be
Jan 15, 2016 9:26 PM

Oct 2015
I love Mavis and Zera. I have to admit, I really was worried that they were going to butcher this, but they've followed the manga very well and any differences have been well made. I think this gives anime only fans a huge insight into not only Mavis's character, but everyone else's in this arc. This might be my second favorite arc (behind the grand magic games) in terms of animation. If anyone has a gif of Mavis during the middway mark of the episode (Mavis's version of this ) would you please send it to me or post it?

Overall this episode was even better than the last one (and I thoroughly enjoyed the last one). Kudos to the animators. I hope they keep this up and add in other filler chapters of the manga to it.
Jan 15, 2016 9:53 PM

Jun 2014
Mavis <3

I haven't even read Zero and can tell Zera is dead......... VERY OBVIOUS
Jan 15, 2016 9:54 PM

Dec 2014
Nice episode. Mavis outplayed Yuri so hard xD
Jan 15, 2016 10:37 PM
Aug 2014
The "spoilers" thingy is more obvious here in the anime than the manga.
Jan 16, 2016 2:11 AM

May 2012
Ahh, I remember the game part in the manga, it shows how smart Mavis really is. Knowledge is power :3

thebrentinator24 said:
I really don't understand why people are making a big deal out of Zera being alive, and why it seems like such a shocker........she's in the damn opening.
That's how people who read the manga also felt like too. But this is all cleared up in later episodes.
Jan 16, 2016 2:39 AM

Jan 2016
Wow that episode was good demonstrating Mavis's knowledge probably next episode they might showcase her knowledge in offence and magic :)
Jan 16, 2016 2:43 AM

Dec 2014
That episode was actually quite enjoyable.
Jan 16, 2016 2:44 AM

Oct 2014
Awesome episode. I just love to see how all the relationships between the founders of FT really were built.

Got super high hopes for future eps now :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2016 5:06 AM
Dec 2010
next episode look like filler to me , not complaining.
Jan 16, 2016 5:26 AM

Jun 2013
that was awesome he gow owned by her lol
Jan 16, 2016 6:31 AM
Apr 2015
Its totally sad if you already read the manga.
I had goosebumps when Zera introduced herself to Yuri.
Just omg.
Jan 16, 2016 7:25 AM

Aug 2010
Mavis is way too cute. It's illegal how adorable she is <3

Loved the way she just REKT Yuri saying :u called me a teenager when ur a teenager too so u lost" was EPIC

"Ur a bird-" "INCORRECT" LOL XD

And the blinking thing was genius.

Nice to see them establishing how intelligent she is and how she can use her smarts right away.

Yuri's reaction to Zera was interesting to say the least :P
Jan 16, 2016 9:31 AM

Oct 2015
I loved this episode. The game between Mavis and Yuri was so funny xD
I'm mad now that I haven't finished reading the manga because I've heard tons of spoilers about Zera.......
Jan 16, 2016 9:56 AM

Feb 2015
I was hoping there would an explanation on what those things over Mavis's ears are and where she got them from, lol. As for the actual episode, Zera sums it up perfectly:
Jan 16, 2016 10:29 AM

Apr 2015
I love the game that Mavis and Yuri played. I wanted it to last longer though
Jan 16, 2016 11:00 AM

Oct 2014
She's such an awesome Girl.
Btw, am i the only one who's getting 'Gakkou Gurashi'-Flashbacks?
Jan 16, 2016 11:25 AM

Feb 2015
DAMN that ending. i have got a bad feeling for what will happen. something bad will happen to Mavis. that game was pretty interesting imo, so funny XD. looking foward to the next episode.
Jan 16, 2016 12:34 PM

Jul 2007
Gotta love that last line of Yuri which foreshadows
Jan 16, 2016 12:43 PM

Jul 2013
Mavis is such a smart cutie beating Yuri in that game. That is why I adore her ^^

Btw, nice foreshadowing during the part when Yuri meets Zera (HanaKana FTW).
Jan 16, 2016 8:40 PM

Apr 2009
Man, Yuri was like a lamb Mavis led to the slaughter. He didn't even have a chance.

An okay episode, not amazing, but they're already off the island so at least it's going along at a decent pace.

I wish Mavis hadn't mentioned Fairy Tail was founded 95 days later. Keep it in spoiler tags, Mavis!
Jan 17, 2016 2:17 AM

May 2012
Shrimperor said:
Btw, am i the only one who's getting 'Gakkou Gurashi'-Flashbacks?
You'll find out sooner lol.
Jan 17, 2016 8:11 AM

Apr 2013
Starting to realise the OP is quite catchy and nice. Great episode, I like seeing Mavis young~ That game was interesting! That Zera.
Jan 17, 2016 9:02 AM

Dec 2014
Mavis arc is pretty exciting to watch I love it so much
Jan 17, 2016 10:42 AM

Jan 2011
I wonder how Yuri will make good on his promise to let Mavis meet a fairy. Didn't he talk about it while under the truth spell? And if not knowing the answer is lying, he must know where to find a fairy..unless of course, establishing Fairy Tail and making all members "fairies" counts..

Regarding Zera: I'd think that they did not reveal her age there in the beginning when they just did so moments ago with Mavis is a huge hint..
Jan 17, 2016 5:24 PM

Oct 2011
Yuri, Precht and Warren YAY.

Mavis was awesome and that was an intense game

Now they are off to find the Tenrou Jade. Whoa 95 days Fairy Tail is born OMG

Does the person die if they don't do what they promise?
Hmm was Zera invisible to everyone but Mavis? Yuri didn't acknowledge her at all?
AnimeFan500Jan 17, 2016 5:36 PM
Jan 18, 2016 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
Very nice, it was actually great to see the little game animated. Next time looks like a filler of some kind but it’s obvious they would do something like this because of how short FT Zero was.
Jan 19, 2016 11:59 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
=/ Why did they make it look like Zera died in the last episode even though she was present in the OP and ED?

And what was Mavis and Zera doing for 7 years without knowing the jade was stolen?
Jan 25, 2016 11:56 PM

Dec 2012
Yuri got owned.

Hold up Yuri. Zera's only 13. You two are teenagers, but just in case, get her consent first playa...because the law and all :D
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 28, 2016 11:47 AM

Dec 2015
Great episode. It was hilarious seeing Mavis outsmart Yuri.

Feb 6, 2016 10:05 PM

Mar 2012
Oh man, this episode was just so gosh darn cute. I can tell I'm really going to love this arc. Mavis's character is so adorable yet mischievous. I'm excited to see the misadventures she's going to go on in the next few episodes.

The "game" in this episode was great xD
Mar 5, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2014
Fairy Tail Zero stats off really good, I don't know why, but the origin of the guild and their founders, especially Mavis really intrigue me. That mindgame tho.
Mar 8, 2016 6:01 AM

May 2010
Okay, we all know that this is much better than the main show (even though that has some of my most favorite characters) Mavis is a much, much more interesting MC than Natsu could even dream to be.

Ye, move those books, Mavis. They are so color that it's painful.

Oh, I was thinking about the teenager bit, too. Good thing Mavis pointed it out. Also, the anime makes me like Yuri x Mavis, wth. I didn't feel this way during the manga.
Mar 20, 2016 12:27 AM

Jul 2007
So first we got one piece, dragon ball Z, Naruto, and now we got Hunter X Hunter. The guy serously has to copy every single mangaka out there, i swear.

Mar 20, 2016 5:18 AM
Oct 2013
link9us said:
So first we got one piece, dragon ball Z, Naruto, and now we got Hunter X Hunter. The guy serously has to copy every single mangaka out there, i swear.
what are you on about
Mar 21, 2016 10:44 AM

Jul 2007
miskos3 said:
link9us said:
what are you on about

Hira mashima is lke the plagiarizer of the anime community, thats what im on about. I always pick up on obvious comparisons to other shonen series through his writing and work.

Example? Shanks = Gildarts

A similar backhand friendship sign, so obvious this was pulled from one piece. The latest episode with the whole "quiz game" thing, an obvious inspiration from hxh. The whole Dark/light contrast that will evideibly become a core part of the story between Natsu and Grey. Just like Naruto with sasuke/naruto. Though i am not sure how far Mashima is going to take it.

The grand magic games, with a tournament announcer, obvious inspiration from dragon ball and there is many more to. I just can't think of them all off the top of my head. Well its ok to be inspired by others work, but i don't think its ok to copy someone's work and call it your own, like the whole friendship sign and the shanks looking like Gildarts, i think that was stepping over the line just a bit.

Mar 21, 2016 11:37 AM
Oct 2013
link9us said:
miskos3 said:
what are you on about

Hira mashima is lke the plagiarizer of the anime community, thats what im on about. I always pick up on obvious comparisons to other shonen series through his writing and work.

A similar backhand friendship sign, so obvious this was pulled from one piece. The latest episode with the whole "quiz game" thing, an obvious inspiration from hxh. The whole Dark/light contrast that will evideibly become a core part of the story between Natsu and Grey. Just like Naruto with sasuke/naruto. Though i am not sure how far Mashima is going to take it.

The grand magic games, with a tournament announcer, obvious inspiration from dragon ball and there is many more to. I just can't think of them all off the top of my head. Well its ok to be inspired by others work, but i don't think its ok to copy someone's work and call it your own, like the whole friendship sign and the shanks looking like Gildarts, i think that was stepping over the line just a bit.
It's been a while since I've read something this ridiculous.
Mar 28, 2016 3:30 PM

Apr 2011
Let me guess: Zera isn't real/she's dead and Mavis is imaging her because she feels lonely ? It got obvious after we saw the blonde guy's reaction when Mavis was introducing her to him.
Mar 28, 2016 3:42 PM

Feb 2015
link9us said:

You're kidding, right? The only thing I'll give you is the Shanks = gildarts (as in, their character design). I'm not big on One Piece lore or whatever, so other than their similar looks I don't know in what other way they'd be familiar.

With the "quiz game" are you by any chance talking about that episode in the awful filler arc? Because that isn't even part of the official storyline, lol.
Dark vs Light is actually a very common theme and not at all unique to Naruto. I don't know what you're on, but Natsu & Gray is absolutely nothing like Naruto & Sasuke. The only similarity there is is that they're both good friends (that is, if you can even consider Naruto & Sasuke as friends after all that happened between them).

Tournaments aren't unique to Dragon Ball either, and are a common trope in a lot of battle shounen series (lol, Naruto had one too). And at the very least, Fairy Tail spices it up with interesting competitions that are more than just 1 on 1 battles.

Like I said, I'll give you Shanks = Gildarts, but I've yet to see any other convincing argument that Fairy Tail is nothing but a rip-off of other popular shounen series. Besides, Fairy Tail is still better than One Piece, so it doesn't matter. :)
Mar 29, 2016 2:26 AM

Jul 2007
Milennin said:
link9us said:

You're kidding, right? The only thing I'll give you is the Shanks = gildarts (as in, their character design). I'm not big on One Piece lore or whatever, so other than their similar looks I don't know in what other way they'd be familiar.

With the "quiz game" are you by any chance talking about that episode in the awful filler arc? Because that isn't even part of the official storyline, lol.
Dark vs Light is actually a very common theme and not at all unique to Naruto. I don't know what you're on, but Natsu & Gray is absolutely nothing like Naruto & Sasuke. The only similarity there is is that they're both good friends (that is, if you can even consider Naruto & Sasuke as friends after all that happened between them).

Tournaments aren't unique to Dragon Ball either, and are a common trope in a lot of battle shounen series (lol, Naruto had one too). And at the very least, Fairy Tail spices it up with interesting competitions that are more than just 1 on 1 battles.

Like I said, I'll give you Shanks = Gildarts, but I've yet to see any other convincing argument that Fairy Tail is nothing but a rip-off of other popular shounen series. Besides, Fairy Tail is still better than One Piece, so it doesn't matter. :)

Well i see your argument and i wouldn't use those actual words per-say and maybe i was a bit harsh in my original comment. But its certain things that i have picked up on well watching Fairy tail that are just more then inspirational idea's from other series. I realize alot of shonen mangaka's always get there inspiration from other authors as well so i realize certain things are major trends in the shonen genre such as tournament battles the whole "anti hero" set up, etc.

But there are certain things that i saw in the series that were so unique to a particular anime and to see it again in some other form in fairy tail. Kind of makes you open your eyes a little. Like the obvious Gildards = shanks. I mean come on, sure the characters look identical and thats bad enough but did they have to introduce the whole "Missing arm" and the exact same right arm as well like in one piece. That kind of screams "copyright infringement" But i have noticed other things like the Friendship pose was extremely similar to the one in one piece as well. There are other ones i picked up on from naruto and bleach to, but i have to track them down. I forget which ones they were.

No the part i am taking as a reference to hxh, was in one of the most previous episode's in the Fairy tail zero arc.
ArtimesGamerMar 29, 2016 2:32 AM

Mar 29, 2016 3:43 AM

Feb 2015
link9us said:
But there are certain things that i saw in the series that were so unique to a particular anime and to see it again in some other form in fairy tail. Kind of makes you open your eyes a little. Like the obvious Gildards = shanks. I mean come on, sure the characters look identical and thats bad enough but did they have to introduce the whole "Missing arm" and the exact same right arm as well like in one piece. That kind of screams "copyright infringement" But i have noticed other things like the Friendship pose was extremely similar to the one in one piece as well. There are other ones i picked up on from naruto and bleach to, but i have to track them down. I forget which ones they were.

No the part i am taking as a reference to hxh, was in one of the most previous episode's in the Fairy tail zero arc.

My view on the Shanks = Gildarts bit is, yes, there are many similarities... too many even perhaps? But there are still differences. The way Gildarts lost his arm is so different than the way Shanks lost his, you can't really compare it. I'd like to think that Mashima actually really likes One Piece and that this is his way of showing that, in the form of a character that resembles one from the series he likes or admires, but still make him have his differences. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I won't ever know unless there's some interview in which he addresses the subject somewhere.
The friendship pose is also similar to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's famous Kamina pose. Then again, pointing your finger up like that isn't exactly unique in any way, so I don't read too much into it. Besides, there was a backstory behind the pose in Fairy Tail, showing how and why it was first used. That's original enough for me. (unless One Piece had a similar backstory? Like I said, I haven't seen that much of One Piece to know)

For the last part about Fairy Tail taking from HxH I don't know which scene from Fairy Tail Zero you're referring to. I haven't watched HxH yet (I should get to that some time, especially with Fairy Tail ended for now).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» animation

0megaH - Feb 28, 2022

12 by Cristiano456 »»
Apr 4, 7:19 PM

» Why the hate ( 1 2 )

StrayDogYato - May 13, 2021

50 by filthyfrank8142 »»
Mar 26, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 2, 2014

107 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2014

136 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2014

121 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.