Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 11, 2016 2:01 PM

Silence8 said:
Pesticyde said:
"judgment is not in the eye of the beholder."

- Its not anyone's place to make judgment pertaining to another's actions.

"It's natural that every person would have their own standards and set of morals. For example, I know that I would never murder, because I believe it's wrong."

- Everyone has their own morals and what they believe is right and wrong.

No offense sir, but the first sentence totally contradicts the second one.
Not really. What I'm saying is everyone is entitled to their own moral set. And someone acting upon theirs, even if it goes against yours, is not a reason to judge.

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server

Jan 11, 2016 3:22 PM

lupadim said:
A common misconception, the ten commandments state that "thou shalt not MURDER". A sin is essentially the breaking of God's law

How can the children of God be unexpected to kill when God knowingly placed them in a world where they would have to kill to survive. We're Gods children, God kills. It is humanities right to follow in his footsteps. If we act like God doesn't it bring us closer to God, if he is perfection then shouldn't humanity emulate him as best we can.

Jan 11, 2016 3:25 PM

Right and wrong seem to be pretty vague terms, I dont know if I can believe in something which cannot be proven to exist
I've been here way too long...

Jan 11, 2016 3:45 PM

Pesticyde said:
Silence8 said:

No offense sir, but the first sentence totally contradicts the second one.
Not really. What I'm saying is everyone is entitled to their own moral set. And someone acting upon theirs, even if it goes against yours, is not a reason to judge.

"not in the eye of the beholder"
You have no idea what this combination of words means, do you? Whatever.
P.S. If someone's acting upon their moral set, and it goes against mine, it is a reason to judge and oppose. There's no more justified reason than this.

Jan 11, 2016 3:52 PM

Silence8 said:
Pesticyde said:

"not in the eye of the beholder"
You have no idea what this combination of words means, do you? Whatever.
P.S. If someone's acting upon their moral set, and it goes against mine, it is a reason to judge and oppose. There's no more justified reason than this.
I think you're misinterpreting me.

ask for discord server

Jan 11, 2016 6:38 PM

I think that anything could be seen as right or wrong and we're all equal so no one person can decide what is right or wrong unless everybody totally agrees 100% of the time which won't happen.. So no there's no such thing as right or wrong... Anything could happen to anybody and it's not the killer's fault that he was born and raised to become the person who killed somebody.. I mean if anything had been different in his life that probably wouldn't have happened and it's not fair to blame him for what's already happened.. We can control the future, not the past and make our own judgements for ourselves, but we shouldn't force what we think is right and wrong on other people because they're the same as us and that wouldn't be fair especially if they disagree.. If that makes sense.

Jan 12, 2016 4:07 AM

Nope. When you're giving an advice, don't ever say things are right or wrong. Those who did are delusional.

CURRENT
ANIME: 哪吒之魔童降世
MANGA: Gintama
NOVEL: -
MUSIC: Halsey - Graveyard

Jan 12, 2016 8:59 AM

Let me explain some Zen Buddhism for you.

Zen monks did not acknowledge any religious or philosophical literature and sometimes even burned them. That's because they thought that a language and rational thinking are unable to describe the reality in a proper manner. That's the conclusion that many western philosophers came to in 1970's, so called deconstruction era. Until that western philosophy was based strictly on rational thinking, cogito ergo sum, "I think therefore I am".

From than on, many have expressed doubts about the adequacy of "text and its meaning". One of the problems is the problem of binary oppositions, for example, "right or wrong", which are contradictory in a language, but both elements of this binary opposition can exist simultaneously in a reality.

So, thought is unable to describe the reality properly. "Right and wrong" can exist at the same time and therefore things are not only right or only wrong. With these binary oppositions out of the way, everything is simply as it is.
Modified by fictionmurder, Jan 12, 2016 9:06 AM

Jan 12, 2016 9:09 AM
i think right is what doesn't hurt anyone. wrong is what makes others sad. but there are moments when some have to be sad in order for others to be happy, but those who would let others suffer for their happiness are wrong, so im not sure. obviously the only right thing is to be dead.

Jan 12, 2016 6:38 PM

Every action or inaction always yields a given result, and the "right" is that which performed with the best possible protocol, intention and result.
There are of course grey areas. Right and wrong are often based upon the terms purpose (are my intentions good?), action (how do I achieve good?) and result (what is a good result?). There are situations when not all of these may be deemed good, mostly because realistic circumstances are never perfect, but each of us base our judgement upon how we prioritize these terms under such circumstances, and how we view right and wrong.
We must also take into account what a good result is. There is the matter of egoism vs. utilitarianism. Do we strive for personal results or communal ones?

Jan 12, 2016 7:53 PM

A lot of people say that morals come from religion and has been passed down through society as a whole, but I don't know if I believe that entirely.

People feel pain. Emotional and physical. Pain is unpleasant. That's the nature of pain.

Something is wrong if it causes pain to someone else intentionally. If you don't like the way pain feels, you shouldn't inflict it on someone else just because you can.

I mean, animals of the same species don't typically hurt one another unless it's a display of dominance. They understand it too. There's no need to hurt your own. And if you do, especially with animals, you can expect them to hurt you back.

Jan 12, 2016 7:55 PM

I believe in the order of society and set my values in function towards my ideal of a society. Morals are part of a society so I do believe in certain ones that comfort my world view

Jan 12, 2016 10:08 PM
Loli King~

Zeta_Riemann said:
I think that anything could be seen as right or wrong and we're all equal so no one person can decide what is right or wrong unless everybody totally agrees 100% of the time which won't happen.. So no there's no such thing as right or wrong... Anything could happen to anybody and it's not the killer's fault that he was born and raised to become the person who killed somebody.. I mean if anything had been different in his life that probably wouldn't have happened and it's not fair to blame him for what's already happened.. We can control the future, not the past and make our own judgements for ourselves, but we shouldn't force what we think is right and wrong on other people because they're the same as us and that wouldn't be fair especially if they disagree.. If that makes sense.

Boohoo, let's not judge nor blame a killer because its in the past and its not his fault he was born into somebody who would kill!

That's one way to get laughed out of a courtroom....

Jan 12, 2016 11:00 PM

Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Zeta_Riemann said:

Boohoo, let's not judge nor blame a killer because its in the past and its not his fault he was born into somebody who would kill!

What a court of law decides is appropriate to keep society safe has no bearing on the meaning of right and wrong, the two are entirely separate entities and the mindset that connects the two is what is holding a large part of humanity back from achieving greater things.

ask for discord server

Jan 12, 2016 11:44 PM
Loli King~

Pesticyde said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

What a court of law decides is appropriate to keep society safe has no bearing on the meaning of right and wrong, the two are entirely separate entities and the mindset that connects the two is what is holding a large part of humanity back from achieving greater things.

Okay, let's drop morals then and let all killers roam free since they may be right in their heads so we can achieve greater things.

It has nothing to do with the court of law. Generally, its more just sanity and common sense to lock up killers.

I'm sorry, I don't feel bad for murderers because they were born into this world and the past can't be changed.

Jan 12, 2016 11:48 PM

Only by my own conscience. Without one, you have no soul.
"If you died, would anyone care? Would they really care? Maybe, they'd cry for a day. But, let's be honest no one would give a shit. They wouldn't. The few people that would feel obligated to go to your funeral would probably be annoyed and leave as early as possible. That's who you are. That's what you are. You are nothing to anyone. To everyone."
-Mr. Robot

"I can take another name, and build a new life.. But on the inside I'll always have that instinct, no matter how much I hate it. I'm yakuza through and through. Guile only gets you so far in this game. Remember that. You won't get another chance."
-Kiryu Kazuma

Jan 12, 2016 11:59 PM

Probably kicking a dead horse, which is probably wrong to a lot of people, but I didn't want to read all of the replies. So here goes..

Rape, murder, torture, child abuse, theft, cheating, lying, etc... All of these are wrong to me. However, if I was raised to believe that all of these things are good, then I would be saying the exact opposite. Basically, we are machines that need to be programmed. We all start out as blank programs, and our parents, teachers, law makers, and society write our code. I could teach my children that kitty cats are evil, and even touching one will guarantee their place in hell. I can also teach them that masturbating on a dead body after midnight is the only way to get into heaven. Most people would view this act as horrible, but my children would do it, and feel as if they are doing something good and pure. I love the ethics courses that start with " If a man steals a loaf of bread to feed his starving family, is he right or wrong?" That question is based on the misconception that we were taught that stealing is wrong in the first place, and doing what you have to do to feed your family is right. It would accomplish the same thing if they posed a question like, " Is it wrong for a man to kill his children, and eat them, so he wouldn't have to steal bread to stay alive?" If he was taught that stealing is more evil than murder, and ones own survival is top priority, he may do just that. In the end, everyone with a brain will agree that right and wrong are subjective, and don't actually even exist. We do what we do, and we live with the repercussions of our actions. Depending on the laws of the ruling entity, we may get into trouble for something, or we may be rewarded for the same action.

Redundancy is second nature to me. :P

Jan 13, 2016 12:09 AM

Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Pesticyde said:

Okay, let's drop morals then and let all killers roam free since they may be right in their heads so we can achieve greater things.

It has nothing to do with the court of law. Generally, its more just sanity and common sense to lock up killers.

I'm sorry, I don't feel bad for murderers because they were born into this world and the past can't be changed.
Nobody ever said anything about letting serial killers roam around or not locking them up, what are you even talking about

All I said is that the court of law does not decide what's right and wrong, only what's safe for society.

ask for discord server

Jan 13, 2016 12:12 AM

Sociopaths run the world. Stop worrying about right and wrong, and start doing whatever it takes to get where you want to be.

Jan 13, 2016 12:17 AM
Loli King~

Pesticyde said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Nobody ever said anything about letting serial killers roam around or not locking them up, what are you even talking about

All I said is that the court of law does not decide what's right and wrong, only what's safe for society.

I know, but it was said that we shouldn't judge murderers because the past can't be changed and for other reasons.

This is why I like the justice system.

Jan 13, 2016 12:44 AM

There's bound to be some justice within us. I think it's most visible in health and medicine, in anything that blurs the line between life and death. Then our sense of justice really shines.

We aren't as good at doing justice when we convict suspects of murder or bribery. An area in which we are very lacking is differentiating between suspects who act out of bad mental health and not of rationality.
We're also bad at it when the offender or the victim is of our own and the opposite side is not.
We're pretty bad at it in general but we do try to achieve justice. Your defenition of justice doesn't matter as much, there are always unsatisfied frowns among the crowd that hears the verdict.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!

Jan 13, 2016 1:18 AM

Truth is the sole judge of right and wrong. Morality is arbitrary and subject to change. At the end of the day, whatever is "right" is whatever: Leaves society as a whole in a neutral or positive state and satisfies your necessities for life.

It would be "wrong" to kill a mother of two for no reason, it would be right to kill a pedophile who has hurt dozens of children.

Same action, different circumstances, different results. Right, as it is seen, is doing something or affecting something that hurts nor hinders nothing while at the same time allows you to continue living.
Doing something wrong for the right reasons to prevent pain or suffering be it present or future can usually be justified if not wholly condoned.
You're welcome OP

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!

Jan 13, 2016 11:42 AM

Kagami_Hiiragi said:

A murderers personal history is taken into account during the trial. Things like past abuse, sexual physical have impacts on the sentencing.

Jan 13, 2016 2:13 PM

There is no right and wrong. It's either you're a chihuahua or you're a caged wolf.
You choose how you want to live

Pages (2) « 1 [2]