Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2016 9:29 AM

Jun 2008
I hated the animation so much that I dropped this and I almost never drop anime.
Jan 8, 2016 9:35 AM

Apr 2013
Is this secretly the AOTS in disguise.
Jan 8, 2016 12:27 PM

Jan 2013
People, are you taking this seriously? I have no words, this world is full of dumb people.

♫ I don't understand you ♫
Jan 8, 2016 12:57 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Oh god, why...

1/5
Jan 8, 2016 8:33 PM

Apr 2014
So bad it's funny. I'll stick around until episode 2 I guess.
Jan 8, 2016 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
This show is the pinnacle of animation and is the true savior of anime.

You are all just plebs with no taste
Jan 9, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2015
I'm too embarrassed to even add this to my dropped list. The visuals are so gross and everything that happens is just fucking stupid. I feel like I'm watching a children's morning cartoon and that's not how I want to feel when watching anime. I don't even like calling this an anime. Boku no Pico is beautiful compared to this garbage. I actually have a sick feeling in my stomach from watching this.

Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Lol the next OPM is here

That's like comparing Parasyte with Gokujo., not funny but insulting.
Jan 9, 2016 3:00 AM

Sep 2010
Fai said:
To understand this show and why it exists, you need to be familiar with japanese politics and the recent-ish events, involving the popularity of nationalism being on the rise and stupid statements about "foreigners" that the politicians have made

In 2006, Japan's Minister of Agriculture pushed a proposition for creating an inspection force that would judge the foreign restaurants and whether they can call their products sushi. He claimed that most of foreigner sushi is not sushi and only taints the japanese culture.. The said taskforce would in secret infiltrate foreign sushi restaurants be it as workforce or clients, with the japanese government pressuring the sushi restaurants that are "not worthy to be called sushi".

The idea was just so silly and outrageous that most of news outlets made fun of it by coining the phrase "Beware, the sushi police are coming!"

For those interested this is a good read by washington post

Sushi Police is essentially a series of comedic shorts that satirizes Japan's obsession with nationalism and twisted view of foreigners. It might seem to be weird for the foreigners, but Japan's view towards its culture and the outrage that "foreigners mingling with it" causes is extremely topical.

As such the short accomplishes what it sets out to do - it showcases just how outrageously silly such ideas are and how silly japan's obsession with "japanese culture only for japanese" is.

finally someone who understands the purpose of this show. thank you sir

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Jan 9, 2016 3:17 PM
Dec 2015
3/5

A lot of people are complaining about this series and yes, i agree it's a little stupid and silly. But it's supposed to be! The art style is weird and different which makes it stand out.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if some weeaboo was involved in the "story line".

Honestly, the reason I liked it and found it funny was the fact that it addresses an issue that will arise (or already has arisen, I'm not sure). Non-Authentic sushi and other aspects of Japanese food and culture will be glamorized coming up to the Olympics, which has perks and cons but I won't get into that, so I sort of understand the humor and seriousness of this episode.

Also, I find it funny how Japan is making jokes out of how the Japanese believe their culture is only for Japan (APPARENTLY). Japan doesn't mind the spread of their culture, it is encouraged by many Japanese people. But I can attempt understand how they might be upset by other cultures tainting their culture by trying to change it and automatically creating stereotypes.

I'll stick around for episode 2 even though it wasn't too great because I love a good story line (Sushi Police doesn't appear to have one). I think we all need to watch some bad anime in order to appreciate a masterpiece.
shingekinoghoulJan 9, 2016 3:28 PM
Jan 9, 2016 5:43 PM

Sep 2014
there should be anime police too,
like these guys are tainting japanese culture with their foreign styled animation, this isn't real anime

it's pretty far fetched but I just wanted to point that out, thought it'd be interest... cause it's a bit ironic... with everyone getting their boner ko'd by the art and all...
Jan 10, 2016 5:22 AM
Dec 2010
NakedButtPirate said:
like these guys are tainting japanese culture with their foreign styled animation, this isn't real anime

it's pretty far fetched but I just wanted to point that out, thought it'd be interest... cause it's a bit ironic... with everyone getting their boner ko'd by the art and all...

Seriously? Who are you to say what is anime and what isn't? Are you the Japanese Culture Police now?
Jan 10, 2016 11:32 AM

Jul 2007
NakedButtPirate said:

This post is hilariously ironic, considering that is the exact kind of exclusionist mentality in japan that this project satirizes.
Jan 10, 2016 8:49 PM
Jul 2013
Looks like im about the only one that actually enjoyed it haha. Would've been better in traditional animation though i guess.
Well - prolly gonna check out the next eps aswell since it's only a short anyway
Jan 11, 2016 2:52 PM

Dec 2012
Thanks to FAI for the explanation, but it was really horrible to watch.
Jan 12, 2016 12:26 AM

Jun 2013
raveninthemuddle said:
This "thing" and Sekkou Boys are two of the most retarded ideas, and is also the most awkwardly executed show of this season, is stuff like this makes you keep coming back to anime always thinking "Why?"

QFT.

Takuan_Soho said:
Fai said:
To understand this show and why it exists, you need to be familiar with japanese politics and the recent-ish events, involving the popularity of nationalism being on the rise and stupid statements about "foreigners" that the politicians have made

In 2006, Japan's Minister of Agriculture pushed a proposition for creating an inspection force that would judge the foreign restaurants and whether they can call their products sushi. He claimed that most of foreigner sushi is not sushi and only taints the japanese culture.. The said taskforce would in secret infiltrate foreign sushi restaurants be it as workforce or clients, with the japanese government pressuring the sushi restaurants that are "not worthy to be called sushi".

The idea was just so silly and outrageous that most of news outlets made fun of it by coining the phrase "Beware, the sushi police are coming!"

This dates back to the time when EVERY country was doing the same thing: France enforcing the trademark on Champagne (which is why all non-French brands are now called "sparkling wine"), Korea trademarking Kiimichi (so that only Korean companies could call it that), and various other countries doing that with their well known products (Parmesan cheese having to come from Parma region of Italy being another). So there was nothing particularly unique about Japan doing it with sushi.

So the WP was just promoting the "oh those Japanese" meme that is so popular among Western elites and people on the internet.

And honestly, I wouldn't mind there being a "Sushi Police". When someone messes up with sushi, not only does it taste bad, but it is also very likely to make you sick. It's raw fish after all. It takes far more training than just slapping fish on rice to make good sushi, as anyone who has had great sushi knows.

And THIS. I never knew this and now I like this show even more.

I don't mind the early 2000, Americanized CGI and the dialogue is cute. I enjoyed it and it's something quick to watch in between my break once a week at work.
臭い-
Jan 12, 2016 3:48 AM
Mar 2012
Nice info Fai.
Sushi, Sekkou, & Galko are like 3 flavors of weird.
Western style cg looks kinda ok, but some bad animating.
Jan 16, 2016 7:42 AM

Sep 2009
This was so crazy that this episode has received a 10/10 from me.

Don't know why so many dislike the art. I was slightly weirded out by the 3D in the beginning but you can't say that it's animated badly.
Kikoman589Jan 16, 2016 8:10 AM
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Jan 16, 2016 3:34 PM

Feb 2013
That was pretty dumb, but the sound and production quality were pretty good.
Jan 17, 2016 8:07 AM

Oct 2007
To be honest, this anime doesn't look like it's making a parody of "Japanese Cooking Nationalism" at all.

It's making fun of the makers of "fake sushi" and the real parody seems to focus on the "stupidity" of the Non-Japanese people who eat their crap out of "freedom" and refuse to realize the preciousness of the authentic flavours.

In fact the ending contains explanations and trivia about "real sushi" to open your eyes about its "superiority" in the world of food.

--From this perspective I found this anime kinda offensive, but I'm still watching 'cause I want to see what's going to say about my country out of masochism for the sake of self-awareness x'D !
Jan 17, 2016 11:15 AM

Feb 2014
Fai said:

Sushi Police is essentially a series of comedic shorts that satirizes Japan's obsession with nationalism and twisted view of foreigners. It might seem to be weird for the foreigners, but Japan's view towards its culture and the outrage that "foreigners mingling with it" causes is extremely topical.

As such the short accomplishes what it sets out to do - it showcases just how outrageously silly such ideas are and how silly japan's obsession with "japanese culture only for japanese" is.

Wow thank you for this. I dropped it and then read this, and gave it another go. Now that I have context, this is actually bearable to watch.
Jan 17, 2016 3:53 PM

Jan 2015
Leaking Soy Sauce :X Sushi crying out for help??? Lol?
Jan 19, 2016 7:13 PM
Dec 2010
Daeva-kun said:
To be honest, this anime doesn't look like it's making a parody of "Japanese Cooking Nationalism" at all.

It's making fun of the makers of "fake sushi" and the real parody seems to focus on the "stupidity" of the Non-Japanese people who eat their crap out of "freedom" and refuse to realize the preciousness of the authentic flavours.

In fact the ending contains explanations and trivia about "real sushi" to open your eyes about its "superiority" in the world of food.

--From this perspective I found this anime kinda offensive, but I'm still watching 'cause I want to see what's going to say about my country out of masochism for the sake of self-awareness x'D !

I think the newspaper clippings calling them out on their bull more indicate this was parodying the concept Fai brought up. I guess we'll have to see how they ultimately handle things to know for sure.
Feb 17, 2016 2:14 PM

Oct 2015
My reaction... "What the hell is going on?.... I have to watch more" :D I still don't know... It's so weird
Mar 24, 2016 5:18 AM

Jul 2009
This show is fantastic. xD I've tried sushi both in Japan and in North America and I can see why Japanese nationalists would go all crazy and try to enforce something like the Sushi Police haha. Americanized sushi is so different - deep fried, covered in mayo, etc. It's tastier in America tbh, but yeah, not authentic at all.

Thanks @Fai for the background info on the show. It's definitely more enjoyable to watch when you know it's satire. Giving it a 7/10. :)
Sep 6, 2016 9:06 AM

May 2012
I didn't know this was CGI! But well tbh it's pretty fun. Let's see what's next.
Jan 7, 2017 2:34 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Maybe they intentionally made an anime in Western CG to parallel it with the theme of this show.
Apr 23, 2020 12:53 PM
May 2019
What the heck, so strange.
Jul 10, 2022 7:11 PM
Mar 2019
Investigating Counterfeit Sushi, who thinks these up!!
Dec 10, 2023 7:10 AM
Dec 2023
It is very random its just not what I am into
Mar 27, 8:50 PM

Mar 2019
But what the hell is this anime? lol.🍣
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sushi Police Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2016

18 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 27, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Sushi Police Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2016

14 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 27, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Sushi Police Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2016

18 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 27, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Sushi Police Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2016

28 by JoeyVK »»
Jan 10, 2023 3:36 PM

Poll: » Sushi Police Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

15 by Kowareta99 »»
Apr 23, 2020 1:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.