Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 5, 2016 4:52 PM

Feb 2015
Just looking to see what others think and trying to see if there are any good romance mangas i have not heard of yet. My favorite is Uwagaki.
Jan 5, 2016 5:12 PM

Jul 2013
We Were There was my favorite for awhile, but at the rate it's going, His and Her Circumstances is going to take that spot!
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 5, 2016 6:15 PM

Feb 2015
why do you like them?
Jan 5, 2016 6:21 PM

Jul 2013
Alarg said:
why do you like them?

They both are similar: relationship starts off in the beginning. Only difference between the two is We Were There is more cliché, if you read a lot of shoujo and know the tropes. However, it results in the most beautiful ending. I wrote a review on it actually. What I'm LOVING about His and Her Circumstances is that it's not as cliché. The couple goes through trials, quickly overcomes them by being honest with each other firsthand (you rarely find that in shoujo), and it takes their relationship step-by-step. I'm only on Volume 9, so there may be some drawbacks layer. Right now, it's one of the best shoujo I've ever read.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 5, 2016 9:30 PM

Dec 2015
Saikano:
- the relationship is just starting when you open the first book,
- the two main protagonists are both uneasy because of their total absence of experience, the male one being "rude" while caring too much and both having as much problem to express their feelings,
- the author adopts the boy's point of view (it is not a shôjô manga),
- the length of the manga is ideal for this genre,
- the setting, the premises of a unknown war, makes the love story even more moving while not being intrusive (we never learn more about it than the characters themselves),
- it features a nice young adults couple,
- the sci-fi element makes the manga even more engaging and is useful to emphasize the "body tension" between the loving teenagers,
- the art,
- it should actually be first in this list: I find the relationship description and evolution "realist" (despite my actual lack of knowledge in this domain)

On a less serious note, I was always fond of the high-school triangular rom-com Kimagure Orange Road from the Shônen Jump (but I watch its anime since I am 3-5years old, so I am biased). I also like the way Gals, an energetic shôjô, treats teenagers couplings.
Rei_IIIJan 5, 2016 9:36 PM
Jan 6, 2016 3:07 AM

Apr 2013
kare kano (his & her circumstances):
aside from the very well-done story & good art, it really appeals to the readers' daydreams of the perfect high school life and romance. all the characters together make that a+ squad you wish you were in with their cliche yet complex characteristics. combine that with a romance that conquers almost all obstacles in life with incredibly compatible leads, boom. 10/10 romance manga.

sunadokei (sand chronicles):
the main character and male lead really did me in. she's unlike most female protagonists in that she's a spoiled and weak girl who loved to cry. she'd pretty much be the antagonistic and self-destructive character if she was placed in a typical shoujo. she's one of the most realistic shoujo leads i know, and the way she developed was so strong. the male lead wasn't cool either, or incredibly good looking, or anything like that. he's just an everyday good guy, who's grown up with the protagonist and fell in love with her so naturally. and the way they grow up together and separately, and how it all fell together in the end.. ((':

don't cry girl:
funniest romance manga i've ever read, hands down. it's so absurd yet i honestly teared up reading it because i laughed so hard.
Jan 6, 2016 3:40 AM

Mar 2015
I think I really like Horimiya and Paradise Kiss... It's really hard to pick a favorite
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Jan 6, 2016 9:13 PM

Apr 2015
Itazura na Kiss was a great manga, though the anime was better for the simple fact that the Mangaka died before the manga was complete. I heard that thanks to notes left behind, the story was completed via the anime adaption. Even though it will forever remain unfinished, it's an utterly beautiful story. I love it because it goes beyond a school setting, as so many are.

Their lives span (I think) about 10 years perhaps in the manga? It goes through senior year of high school, university, moving out, getting jobs, marriage, and eventually parenthood (the parenthood is shown only in the anime, as do actually starting careers). So yeah, even though it's unfinished, it's worth the read. It's a beautiful story and also happens to be the first manga I'd ever read.

I also really liked Kaichou wa Maid-sama, for much the same reason as Itazura na Kiss. I love seeing manga that goes beyond a school setting and shows a true long term commitment matched with unfailing love for their Significant Other.
"You babble on about how you want to know, but you're never prepared to handle it. To know means to be prepared to know. Once you find out the truth, there's no going back. You can't ever go back to being the way you were, blissful and unconcerned.'' -Nezumi; No. 6 (Light Novels; Volume 2, Chapter 5)
Jan 6, 2016 10:49 PM

Jun 2013
Koi Kaze tops my list.

Beautiful story, even though it's against "morals".
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

"It would be great to live as a human"
-Meruem, King of the Ants
Jan 7, 2016 1:11 PM

Jan 2016
Horimiya
Last Game
Namaikizakari.
Nijiiro Days
Takane no Hana Nara Ochitekoi!!
Kushuku Gakkou no Alice

Mostly chill/light hearted romance mangas
Smooth_CheJan 7, 2016 1:18 PM
Jan 11, 2016 8:36 PM

Feb 2013
Well i love romance mangas, but i am a pervert by nature, so, my favorites :

Octave
Kimi no Iru Machi
Sojou no Koi Wa Nido Haneru
Jan 25, 2016 2:03 PM

Jul 2013
From the ones I read, my favorite is Horimiya
Jan 25, 2016 4:02 PM

Oct 2012
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Horimiya
I really like the art styles, stories and relationships between characters.
Jan 25, 2016 5:21 PM

Oct 2015
Ao Haru Ride out to be more serious and realistic.
Jan 25, 2016 7:53 PM

Apr 2015
My would be Velvet kiss although i dont recommend you read it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2016 12:52 AM
Jan 2016
Last quarter of moon
Jan 26, 2016 1:16 AM

Jun 2015
Ouran High School Host Club- a non-typical heroine but still adorable. Reverse harem but have a lot of character development. Learn a lot.

Tomodachi no Hanashi- Start with... is it yuri? eh, is it shonen ai? and everything answered in 3rd chapter.

Gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun- Just... must a read haha.
Jan 26, 2016 1:20 AM

Jul 2012
Seconding the two mentioned in this thread, We Were There and Sand Chronicles. Kare Kano is great as well but not for the romance.

My other favourites would include:

Honey and Clover
Nodame (obviously)
and
Diamond Life
Jan 26, 2016 1:39 AM
Aug 2013
Ao Haru Ride, i don't even know why i like it so much but i really loved it lol.

Well i just find the story really amazing, and i love the art and the MC's.

Horimiya is pretty good too.
Jan 26, 2016 6:54 AM

Jan 2010
I would say Seven Days, Koe no Katachi, Beck, Bakuman, etc.
Their are more but these are at the top.
Jan 26, 2016 11:10 AM

Jan 2016
A falsified romance
Jan 26, 2016 10:32 PM

Sep 2013
+1000 to His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)--my favorite shoujo. Has everything from comedy, believable romance, a lot of side characters with their own love stories. A well rounded manga. I also love Hirunaka no Ryuusei. Really convincing love triangle. Fluffy and adorable. Mars is another personal favorite. If you like your shoujo with more mature themes.

For Manwha:

- The Flowers of Evil
- 100% Perfect Girl
- The One

These tend to be really dramatic and sometimes drawn out but so so good. Expect amnesia and misunderstandings -- the works. At least with Perfect Girl and The One. Flowers of Evil is anything but that, a quite interesting psychological forbidden romance story.
Jan 27, 2016 3:36 PM

Jan 2016
I loved The Glass Mask and Love So Life . The Glass Mask because it's a pioneer and considered one of masterpieces and Love So Life because the art, the humor, and kawaii twins.

Not sure if I would consider Beck or Bakuman romance mangas..
Jan 29, 2016 9:43 PM

Apr 2008
Horimiya and Ao Haru Ride. I'm a sucker for pretty art.

Anticlimatic said:
My would be Velvet kiss although i dont recommend you read it.

Loved Velvet Kiss! Harumi Chihiro's character designs are amazing- especially Kanoko. Really liked the ending, as well.

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Jan 29, 2016 10:07 PM

May 2015
Spent a lot of time looking for Action/Romance and only just realized I didn't need the action. Just finished Koe no Katachi and I loved it. Just wish there had been a damn kiss at the end.

The main reason I liked it was that the "obstacles" to the romance were unique. and the heroine was unique.

Reading Last Game and I really like it.

I guess I like unique heroines.
Jan 29, 2016 10:25 PM

Dec 2015
It may not be a Romance, but Otoyomegatari by Kaoru Mori has my vote. The single most beautifully illustrated manga I've ever seen, it tells a bunch of related stories about romances along the Silk Road during the mid-19th century. Each couple also has their own story and obstacles.

A lot of people are put off by the first couple having an eight year age gap, but it's not as awkward as it sounds. They're also my favourite couple, and I'm not the sort to like romances very much!

Ancient Magus Bride by Kore Yamazaki is more of a fantasy than a pure romance, but if you're looking for something different, this is most certainly it.
Jan 29, 2016 11:35 PM

Jun 2011
My favorite romance manga has to be Koukou Debut, and it is also one of the first shoujo romance manga that I read. Sure, the story is cliche, a(n) (average) girl who wants a new start in high school, trying to do a makeover in order to find romance, came across a (hot) guy who dislike having any sort of romantic relationship with female, but what makes me really like the series is not the premise (though I love myself some stereotypical shoujo plot), but the depiction of the developing romance between the main male lead and the main female lead. The way the panels panned out, I actually felt true love between them, especially coming from the main guy, because most of the time when I read a romance manga, I don't feel any love coming from the guy at all, and most of the time all I felt was infatuation from the girl's side.

It doesn't help that the main guy is great. <3 I remember the one part in the story where the main female lead was kissed by another guy, and the method the main guy used to solve the conflict between them makes me fell in love with him. <3 There was also one time where they were about to have sex, but the female lead was not ready to go through that, and while he was disappointed, he was all for waiting for the right time. <3

So tempting to reread Koukou Debut! Definitely will go down as one of the classics.

Honorable mention:
Mayuka said:
Diamond Life
This manga keeps it real as well, their relationship is so beautiful, and love overcomes all hardship!
Pure fluff! I love how the romance doesn't get rushed, and is slowly developing as a subplot. So cute to read! (because of slow scans, I have it on hold D=)
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 30, 2016 1:00 AM

Apr 2015
Kushuku Gakkou no Alice
Horimiya
Last Game
Iris Zero
Ge Good ending
Feb 8, 2016 5:05 PM

Jun 2015
Series:
Bambi to Dhole
Beyond the blindfold (mekakushi no kuni)
Cat Street
Conflict lover
Hoshi no koe (story from the master of heartbreaking story- Makoto shinkai)
Ouran Koukou High School
Solanin
The stories of those around me/story of someone we know (especially the story about a girl who have relationship for years with someone)
Happy Mari (Makes me want to get married hahaha)
Tomodachi no hanashi (only 3 chaps, the art is suitable with the story)

One shot:
To you of earthborn (Chikyuu umare no anata e)
I'm leaving first/I'll go first, then (no one die but still a heartwarming story, could happen in real life)
Hotarubi no mori e and Deepening the scar.
Fragment of summer.
Feb 9, 2016 1:41 PM

Nov 2015
I'm new here and since I've only read a few mangas, my favorite romance manga would have to be Kimi wa Midara no Boku no Joou. Loved it from beginning to end. Romance was on point, since it had everything about romance to offer. Since, the anime series ended on chapter 5, more people began to demand for more chapters be released. Even though it was over, the series was gaining popularity, thus gaining four more special chapters. The manga became increasingly interesting as more characters were being introduced. Unfortunately, chapter 10 hasn't been released for 2 years now, and us readers think that the series might be discontinued now. Since, we are waiting to know what would happen following chapter 9. I'm sadly disappointed that this series had to end because it had a great opportunity to become a great romance series. But overall, I loved the series and who knows if it's discontinued? I'd gladly wait for more as the years come by.

Feb 9, 2016 2:08 PM

Jan 2016
Definitely Basara, probably because it's the first shoujo and romance manga that i read a couple of years ago. It's still in my personal top 3 manga.
Johnnyd3rpFeb 9, 2016 2:15 PM
Feb 9, 2016 2:15 PM

Dec 2014
Koe no Katachi (though it's not more into romance) & Kaichou wa Maid-sama.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Feb 10, 2016 5:24 PM
May 2015
kimi no iru machi even though its melodramatic and the last third of the manga was just a cash grab since the story was basically finished.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2016 1:45 AM

Sep 2012
Suzuka, probably Seo's best work.
Feb 18, 2016 2:12 PM

Jan 2014
I don't like romance manga that much, but I guess it would have to be Ten Count by Rihito Takarai.

"With all due respect, if you keep running your mouth, I'm gonna lose it."
Mar 26, 2017 8:29 PM
Mar 2017
Ik this is a bit late, but my all time favorite romance action anime is: Mirai Nikki
May 18, 2017 3:30 PM

Dec 2015
Kaichou wa maid-sama, Clannad and Orange. I love the plot and the characters... ^^ Misaki Ayuzawa is my absolute favorite character :D
May 18, 2017 5:45 PM

Mar 2017
Do Koe no Katachi and Gakuen Alice count as romance manga? Since the focus is not placed on the romance.

If yes, then those two manga are my personal favourite.
It's time to play the Game folks!
May 18, 2017 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
I rarely read romance with slice of life, but I like those:

Ao Haru Ride
Beautiful style, like both characters and the chemistry between them.

Orange
The same thing. x3

23:45
It's a great Boys Love One-Shot, awesome art and very cute.
May 18, 2017 9:11 PM

Aug 2016
Maneki-Mew said:

Ao Haru Ride

Orange
The same thing. x3

You should totally read the manga of ao haru ride :3 the story was great!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 19, 2017 1:22 AM

Oct 2015
i havent read many romance series
from what i have currently
Ichigo 100%
May 19, 2017 3:41 AM
Jul 2018
SnapMyBerry said:
Maneki-Mew said:
Ao Haru Ride

Orange
The same thing. x3

You should totally read the manga of ao haru ride :3 the story was great!

Oh man, I totally forgot about 5 Centimeter per seconds and Citrus. X3 I read the first one, because I love the movie and the second one to read Girls Love.
There is also a great Girls Love Manhwa named Fluttering Feelings, but it's on-hold, because the author is sick.
May 22, 2017 1:20 AM

Oct 2015
Omg wtf there's too many to choose a favourite but a few of my favs are Hirunaka no ryuusei 💚 and Horimiya 💚
Love speaks in flowers. Truth requires thorns.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
9 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.