Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 5, 2016 2:07 PM

Oct 2007

Thanks SheyCroix for the lovely image!

You may find the Sign Up thread (along with more information about this challenge) here!

Discussion is not required for completing the challenge. Use this thread to:

- Ask question related to the challenge.
- Ask for or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
- Post your impressions about titles you’ve read for the challenge, if you wish to.
- Post badges donations for the challenge (you’re invited to!).

Avoid posting unrelated stuff to the challenge, i.e. unrelated manga to the challenge, chatting between users with unrelated purposes and so on.

Avoid posting spoilers when talking about a specific manga.

Use spoiler tags and @username mentions to keep things tidy and please edit your post instead of double-posting!

Frequently Asked Questions

A basic explanation on how to use Baka-Updates courtesy of @AudioTsunami:
omakaseJun 23, 2017 12:23 PM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2011
So I just picked hard without really looking at the items. This is gonna be fun.

Come at me with any recommendations you got.
Jan 5, 2016 2:48 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
jojos bizzare adventure
Jan 5, 2016 3:41 PM

Mar 2014
Is using stuff you re-read fine?

Also, like, if I'm caught up with an on-going and read a new chapter does that count?
Paulo27Jan 5, 2016 3:43 PM
Jan 5, 2016 3:51 PM

Mar 2014
I saw that but I'm wondering if it's like "you can pick up a new ongoing manga and read and it's fine" or if just reading a chapter from something you're following is fine. :c
Jan 5, 2016 4:04 PM

Jan 2011
JOAOAA said:
ReaperCreeper said:
jojos bizzare adventure
I was planning too. An easy 8 items right there.
Jan 5, 2016 4:35 PM

Sep 2013
Paulo27 said:

Also, like, if I'm caught up with an on-going and read a new chapter does that count?

According to the Sign-Up thread:
"Ongoing manga can be used as long as you’re up to date with the latest released chapter when you turn in your challenge."

Additionally, it would probably make sense to stick this thread at the top of the section like the sign-up thread as well.
Jan 5, 2016 4:58 PM

Oct 2007
Annuvin said:
tsuyokunaru said:
 » Watch a Historical, Military or Police manga
 » Watch a Sci-Fi, Space or Mecha manga
 » Watch a Dementia, Horror, Demons or Vampire manga
 » Watch a Mystery, Thriller or Psychological manga
 » Watch a Sports, Martial Arts, Cars or Games manga
 » Watch a Super Powers, Fantasy or Supernatural manga
 » Watch a Harem, Ecchi, Shoujo Ai or Shounen Ai manga

Think you got some typos in the sign-up form... or am I supposed to look at the images without reading for these? :F

Haha I'll edit that right now. That's what happens with copy&paste. Funny how no one caught that. Thanks!

Paulo27 said:

You can use re-read stuff as long as you re-read it between January 1st and December 31st, 2016. Since EVERYTHING has to be read between those dates, ongoing manga that you're caught up to and read just one new chapter does not count UNLESS you re-read all of it.

delija9091 said:
Additionally, it would probably make sense to stick this thread at the top of the section like the sign-up thread as well.

We won't be doing that this year but you can easily find the discussion thread by following the link in the sign up thread.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 5, 2016 5:00 PM

Jan 2011
» Read a manga with a non-human main character

Does it have to be the main main character, or can it be like Iggy in Jojo?
Jan 5, 2016 5:06 PM

Oct 2007
ReaperCreeper said:

Well I don't think main character has to be the central protagonist, specially if it's a big cast. I'm not sure if Iggy counts though since I've only read early Jojo.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Nov 2013
Decent one-shot I can get through right now? Help a guy out.
Jan 5, 2016 5:22 PM

Jan 2011
tsuyokunaru said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Well I don't think main character has to be the central protagonist, specially if it's a big cast. I'm not sure if Iggy counts though since I've only read early Jojo.
Ah well thinking about it it probably wasn't the best example anyway seeing as he joins in halfway. Well I've got a few animal focused series on my ptr anyway.

Themisto said:
Decent one-shot I can get through right now? Help a guy out.
Umwelt
Kirisuke and Johnny, The Slaying of 499
Jan 5, 2016 5:41 PM
Jan 2013
Who the hell thought of this?

"Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word"

Cause I found it to be really interesting and creative (◕‿◕✿)
gone bai bai
Jan 5, 2016 6:06 PM

May 2013
That image is wonderful.
Jan 5, 2016 6:55 PM

Apr 2014
I'm here ! I was supposed to go to sleep , and then what do I see ? The challenge is here !
Right now I should be sleeping and here I am writing in the thread at 3 past night . Thank you for ruining my night Tsuyokunaru ( I wasn't able to sleep without signing in anyway , I just had to) .
hahaha

Well , I'm really happy to be able to start it , but allow me to just point some things that kind of bothered me when I saw the sign up formular (every important forum threads need an annoying frenchy guy that come to complain about something , that's what I believe in , so alow me to be that guy) :

I see that now the challenge is official and as such was also officially planned this time . It's good that it can be made into something that is aknowledge and supported.. but I also see that a lot of the item that tsuyokunaru proposed and all of us discussed about (and we really had nice and very interesting share of views over it on the planning thread) where completely erased and dismissed , replaced with other ones that seems to come directly from the previous anime challenge of last year .

without going in to much detail , I could think of several items that bother me :

ok , enought for the annoying complains I made (I'm sorry) . Beside I know I'm going to enjoy to do the challenge very much .
I look forward to ask for recommendation and discuss about all the things we will be readings . I'll look this thread very frequently I think .

And now I go to sleep . I have to be ready to brainstorm all my little reading plans tomorrow and after . ^^
Jan 5, 2016 7:09 PM
Jul 2018
» Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word:

I got priest LOL

So, do any of you know of any manga with priests? hahaha
Jan 5, 2016 7:20 PM

Oct 2007
Mkim said:
Who the hell thought of this?
"Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word"
Cause I found it to be really interesting and creative (◕‿◕✿)

Kineta suggested it and I liked it!

@Dullboy

I really appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you're participating against this year even if it isn't entirely to your liking. You give awesome recs, so it's great to have you around!

aqualiv said:
» Choose a manga from the predicitve search using a generated random word:

I got priest LOL

So, do any of you know of any manga with priests? hahaha

Actually what you're supposed to do is change the drop down from anime to manga on the search bar (next to the top navigator menu on the website). Then you have to write "priest" there in the search word and do not hit enter. Wait a little bit and the list will expand with some titles and you have to choose something from there. It doesn't even need to have the word priest on the title!
omakaseJan 5, 2016 7:22 PM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 5, 2016 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
Ah, okay, I got it now, thanks!
removed-userJan 5, 2016 7:49 PM
Jan 5, 2016 7:48 PM
Jul 2015
32. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Hit me with your best shot!!!
Jan 5, 2016 8:18 PM

Nov 2009
Are you allowed to change your difficulty choice partway through?
\m/

Jan 6, 2016 1:16 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
shinster400 said:
32. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant

Hit me with your best shot!!!

Do you want something on the shorter side, or the longer side? I'd recommend Double Arts for something short, or Alive for longer. Both are action (since it seems like you like action), although more so the second one.
Jan 6, 2016 2:29 AM

Dec 2010
To be honest and speaking strictly personally, I'm sad some challenges like "re-read a manga" or "read a manga by Tezuka" were replaced by something like the TV tropes (I don't even know what it is...) and the generated random word challenges... They sounded like a hassle to me, that I decided to sign up for the medium level and deleted them.

Well, whatever. Good luck to everyone for this year too :D
Jan 6, 2016 2:38 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
@tsuyokunaru

for

Read a manga from a magazine with less than 250 titles listed in the database

if it's less than 250 when I start reading one of the manga from the magazine but when turning in it is over 250...is it no longer valid?
Jan 6, 2016 3:33 AM

Dec 2010
Annuvin said:
@Kella
TVTropes is great. Seriously, give it a try.

Okay, so in the end I deleted my previous sign up form and singed up again for the hard level... Afterall I still have a year to figure out how that site works, lol
Jan 6, 2016 4:10 AM

Oct 2012
Is there a way to make a link that directs me to my own post? So that I can put it in my favorites and avoid the trouble to keep searching for it every time.
Jan 6, 2016 4:13 AM

Mar 2014
felipekorbes said:
Is there a way to make a link that directs me to my own post? So that I can put it in my favorites and avoid the trouble to keep searching for it every time.
Click the number in your post (top right corner) and copy.paste the URL.afterwards.
Jan 6, 2016 5:26 AM

Oct 2007
@Shinster400 I want to rec Eden: It's an Endless World, but it's kind of on the medium-length side.

@Kella I took those two out because I personally don't like re-reading (people can still do it for the challenge, really. It's up to them as long as it fits an item) and the Tezuka one was because people who chose that sometimes read manga that was not by Tezuka and wanted to include it and it was a bit of an issue and I also decided it was best not to force authors.

@JOAOAA Hmm, well I won't be super strict about it, but you can make a note of how many entries there were when you chose it? Like the name of the magazines and the number of titles in included in DB between parenthesis.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 6, 2016 5:48 AM

Sep 2013
Has anybody a recommendation for the challenge "Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant"?

I would prefer some action, adveture stuff with around 50-70ish chapters.
Jan 6, 2016 6:06 AM

May 2013
Do you guys think I may read Kakukaku Shikajika for the 'Read a manga that has a main character that is a professional in his field' challenge?
Jan 6, 2016 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
Does Domestic na Kanjo qualify for the "Read a manga that focuses on a couple with a romantic relationship" category?
Jan 6, 2016 7:08 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I have about "Read a light novel." Lets say Spice and Wolf. Can I read just one of the novels in the series or would I need to read the whole series?
Jan 6, 2016 7:09 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
tsuyokunaru said:
@JOAOAA Hmm, well I won't be super strict about it, but you can make a note of how many entries there were when you chose it? Like the name of the magazines and the number of titles in included in DB between parenthesis.

Yeh thats fine to do tyvm
Jan 6, 2016 7:12 AM

Oct 2007
@FlameWingman21 I think it certainly counts.

@Stark700 Well, from the summary I think it should count, yeah. The central topic of the manga is romance, now I guess it should depend if it centers on one couple or not. I won't be too strict about that though.

@delija9091 Maybe Hoshi no Samidare?

@Brand Just one volume in the series would count.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 6, 2016 7:31 AM

May 2013
@tsuyokunaru Glad to hear that. I'm just afraid there's too little story about her time as a mangaka. I mean that if in the manga, most of the time, telling about her time before she became a mangaka and then ended right after she became one, I don't think it's eligible to use for that challenge.
Jan 6, 2016 7:38 AM

Oct 2007
FlameWingman21 said:
@tsuyokunaru Glad to hear that. I'm just afraid there's too little story about her time as a mangaka. I mean that if in the manga, most of the time, telling about her time before she became a mangaka and then ended right after she became one, I don't think it's eligible to use for that challenge.

I've never read it, but even an art student could be considered an artist. I think here it will depend a bit on that?
A friend of mine read it and told me about it beforehand. It definitely seemed more about student struggles than about being a mangaka but it is also about the craft and being an artist apparently.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 6, 2016 7:43 AM

Sep 2013
tsuyokunaru said:

Not exactly what I had in mind, but sounds very intriguing. Gonna check it out.
Jan 6, 2016 7:49 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Any recommendations for "Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships?"

Also any recs for "Read a manga with children as the main cast?"
Jan 6, 2016 7:50 AM

Mar 2014
delija9091 said:
tsuyokunaru said:

Not exactly what I had in mind, but sounds very intriguing. Gonna check it out.
You could try Sengoku Youko (by the same author) as well, though that's still ongoing (with 70 chapter out so far).
Both are excellent.

Brand said:
Any recommendations for "Read a manga that focuses on non-romantic relationships?"
Spirit Circle has an interesting take of relationships between people.
Jan 6, 2016 7:50 AM

Jan 2015
So, I started reading a manga on Jan 4. Does that count as an entry for the challenge? Cause I read only 7 chapters.
Jan 6, 2016 7:55 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
suraj_anton said:
So, I started reading a manga on Jan 4. Does that count as an entry for the challenge? Cause I read only 7 chapters.

It should be fine as long as you started in 2016.
Jan 6, 2016 8:49 AM

Oct 2007
@Brand I read Gohan Shiyo! last year and it had children as main cast and it was pretty cute even if it feels a bit unfinished. Bokurano also counts (Not sure if you've read either of them).

@suraj_anton As Brand said, as long as it was after January 1st it totally counts :D
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 6, 2016 9:05 AM

May 2013
tsuyokunaru said:
FlameWingman21 said:

I've never read it, but even an art student could be considered an artist. I think here it will depend a bit on that?
A friend of mine read it and told me about it beforehand. It definitely seemed more about student struggles than about being a mangaka but it is also about the craft and being an artist apparently.

Art students are artists, but not professionals, I guess. They're still amateur until they can make a living out of it, I think. Hmm.. I guess I'll just go on and see it myself later. If it doesn't fit the challenge, I'll just change my challenge item into the one that fits. XD
Jan 6, 2016 9:27 AM

Apr 2014
Tsuyokunaru about the "Read a Harem, Ecchi, Shoujo Ai or Shounen Ai manga" :

delija9091 said:
Has anybody a recommendation for the challenge "Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant"?

I would prefer some action, adveture stuff with around 50-70ish chapters.
I know it doesn't really fit exactly what you ask for , but please , consider reading Ashita no Joe . You won't regret it , I really think so .

FlameWingman21 said:

Go for it . Really , just go ^^
the manga is an autobiographia , so basicaly in itself , it is already about a professional in it's field hahaha . A talented female manga author that talk about her past (and with a lot of "come-back to present" , little digression , etc..) . And beside , the manga is also about and dedicated to her teacher (and teacher is a profession no ? huhu)
So if I think about it , it's like this manga fit for the item at 300 percent . hahaha

but if even with all I said you don't feel like it's legit , then read it for another item , because I already know it will be to your liking considering the previous challenge and the talk we had in the past discussion thread . Definitly a things to read for you .
Jan 6, 2016 9:31 AM
May 2014
For - Read a manga that has not been adapted in any way - would manga that have had fighting games (like JoJo part 5-8) count? or does that count as having an adaption?
Jan 6, 2016 9:59 AM

Nov 2014
Do novels fall under this challenge?

Jan 6, 2016 10:08 AM

Sep 2013
FlameWingman21 said:
tsuyokunaru said:

Art students are artists, but not professionals, I guess. They're still amateur until they can make a living out of it, I think. Hmm.. I guess I'll just go on and see it myself later. If it doesn't fit the challenge, I'll just change my challenge item into the one that fits. XD

Well, the manga has a 8.72 rating and is classified as a Josei, so you could include it into the following challenges if it turns out to not be about professionals:
"Read a manga with a score of or above 8.5 in MyAnimeList"
"Read a manga with a target demographic that does not apply to you".
Jan 6, 2016 10:10 AM

May 2013
Dullboy said:
Go for it . Really , just go ^^
the manga is an autobiographia , so basicaly in itself , it is already about a professional in it's field hahaha . A talented female manga author that talk about her past (and with a lot of "come-back to present" , little digression , etc..) . And beside , the manga is also about and dedicated to her teacher (and teacher is a profession no ? huhu)
So if I think about it , it's like this manga fit for the item at 300 percent . hahaha

but if even with all I said you don't feel like it's legit , then read it for another item , because I already know it will be to your liking considering the previous challenge and the talk we had in the past discussion thread . Definitly a things to read for you .

Oh my... guess who have just found what manga to finish first for this year? You totally convinced me there. You'd make a great sales person lol. I have a feeling it will be one hell of feels trip, since you said past discussion. Merci, Dullboy.

Anyway, I have been reading Aria and found out the atmosphere was almost similar to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. It was soothing. You'll probably like it since you like heartwarming stories like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Usagi Drop. Should start from the prequel, Aqua, if you wanted to read it.

delija9091 said:
Well, the manga has a 8.72 rating and is classified as a Josei, so you could include it into the following challenges if it turns out to not be about professionals:
"Read a manga with a score of or above 8.5 in MyAnimeList"
"Read a manga with a target demographic that does not apply to you".

That's what I was planning to do if it didn't fit. Thanks to that man Dullboy I just have to read it.
Jan 6, 2016 10:10 AM

Oct 2007
@Dullboy Thanks for explaining. I can see why you disagree with those being grouped.

@SupremeMuggage I'd say it doesn't count because a game is an adaptation, even if they don't really include all the story.

@ExTamplier Novels cannot be included as regular items, since it's a manga challenge. Last year a few people asked about it because they are also included in the manga database but I really don't see them as the same. I decided to include the Light Novel bonus challenge this time around in case someone wanted to give it a shot.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 6, 2016 10:20 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
tsuyokunaru said:
@Brand I read Gohan Shiyo! last year and it had children as main cast and it was pretty cute even if it feels a bit unfinished. Bokurano also counts (Not sure if you've read either of them).

Thanks, I'll read Gohan Shiyo, I'm more in the mood for cute rather than depressing.
Jan 6, 2016 10:29 AM

Nov 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
@ExTamplier Novels cannot be included as regular items, since it's a manga challenge. Last year a few people asked about it because they are also included in the manga database but I really don't see them as the same. I decided to include the Light Novel bonus challenge this time around in case someone wanted to give it a shot.
Ok, thank you for reply.
ExTemplarJan 6, 2016 10:49 AM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
3 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
4 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
5 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
5 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.