Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Is balding prematurely bad socially?

Jan 4, 2016 8:26 PM

Hi.

I have a friend who started training a few years back, and ever since seems to have lost the majority of his hair. I'm not sure whether or not there is a correlation, but I wanted the MAL community to give their thoughts on some questions about balding early on in life.

How would you feel about balding early? Think early 20's.
Would you judge someone differently who shows signs of balding early?
Would you date someone who was bald?
Would it have a negative impact on someone socially? If so, how?

Feel free to ignore the questions. I mainly want to discuss thoughts and opinions on premature baldness in general.

Jan 4, 2016 8:29 PM

You can't convince me that all bald people aren't as cool as Saitama

Jan 4, 2016 8:31 PM

best thing to do when you go bald - just fucking own it - nothing looks worse than a comb-over in denial

Jan 4, 2016 8:31 PM

I think it's safe to say that the majority of people prefer full heads of hair and, given that balding is normally associated with older men, premature balding makes a man less physically attractive. However, I don't think it's decisive and something that is likely to ruin someone's life, unless they allow it to.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh - Makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Jan 4, 2016 8:36 PM

ib4 Onepunch man jokes

I buzzcut my hair so it doesn't really matter for me, but yeah balding and balding prematurely definitely sucks. I wouldn't treat anyone differently just based on that though. It's one of those genetic things like race and height that you can't change, but people make a big deal of it anyway.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Jan 4, 2016 8:36 PM

Josh said:
premature balding makes a man less physically attractive.
to add - women have a sixth sense of if you're going to go bald early or not, so even if you aren't bald yet, you might as well be

Jan 4, 2016 8:37 PM

Themisto said:
I have a friend who started training a few years back, and ever since seems to have lost the majority of his hair.

I literally thought of Saitama the second I saw this. I hope he can atleast grow a beard so he'll look cool af. I personally wouldn't mind going bald tbh.

Jan 4, 2016 8:50 PM

Comb overs are hideous might as well go bald.

Jan 4, 2016 8:51 PM

Both a close friend and a middle school teacher have premature balding (and grey-ing) problems. Like Kyuss said, you gotta own it, both physically and mentally. Can't be nervous about it, just gotta accept it. Neither of them let it get in their way. The teacher is married and my friend doesn't seem to mind.

One huge plus I can imagine: you look older. May or may not be helpful in things like job interviews.

I may sound weird here, but I always thought bald + muscles go well together.

Jan 4, 2016 8:59 PM

You could tell him that a 200-pound girl who spends most of her time on the internet thinks bald guys are cute?

Wait, don't do that. But I love bald guys. And that's the thing, a lot of girls do. While a lot of girls don't as well I'm sure, it really, REALLY shouldn't be a dealbreaker. I mean, if someone is so preoccupied with something as fleeting as hair, they're probably not the kind of partner you want anyway.

But, as I mentioned my weight earlier, I totally understand how it feels to be really uncomfortable with your physical appearance, and I try to ramp up my personality to compensate. I bet that makes me appear fake sometimes, so maybe my own actions isolate me socially? The only advice I can give is to keep being himself, and don't WORRY whether other people are judging him, because insecurity has a habit of leaking out into your actions. He probably has a lot more to offer than a head of hair, and if you're his friend, you already know that. Just support him and let him vent if he needs.

Jan 4, 2016 9:06 PM

Really depends I suppose if you never met the person before, and they went bald then you wouldn't see them any differently honestly family and friends would make it the hardest.

Jan 4, 2016 9:14 PM

Just get yourself some finasteride. It works wonders.

Jan 4, 2016 9:23 PM

embrace the baldness
it actually looks good, especially if you're fit

Jan 4, 2016 9:26 PM

I agree with embracing it, but I also think that's the hardest part.

Perhaps it isn't terrible among what others think, but I bet a person going bald early in life would have their self esteem lower.

It's just not something a young adult would want to deal with, he's rather self conscious about it.

Jan 4, 2016 9:57 PM

I've lost some hair over the years and goddamn it makes me sort of sad.

Balding is fucking horrible shit man.