Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 2, 2016 5:28 PM

Oct 2014
Hello, I've got a question for you gamers out there.
My current specs are not very good. Today I bought an Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro 4GB but only got like 5 fps more or even lesser fps than my current card so I've decided to return it and go for a new cpu,motherboard and so on instead as I think my other stuff bottelnecked my new grapichs card(or?).

My Current Setup

So my question for you guys that can alot about computers.
What should I go with for my upgrade?
I've been looking at a Gigabyte X GA-Z97X-GAMING 3 as a motherboard and for CPU I've looked on a Intel Core i5 4690K. As I only got 2500 Sek (swedish money, which is around 295$) is it worth the money or should I save for a 1151 motherboard and CPU? As I am a poor student I want something future proof to so I don't have to upgrade untail I get a job or so.
Hi
Jan 2, 2016 5:53 PM

Apr 2015
When it comes to "future proofing" your computer you do NOT want to compromise . Putting little money towards your PC only means you will be spending more down the road to fix what you put in. The GPU you purchased was not really a upgrade.

One of the biggest bottlenecks is that your i5 processor is a dual core with hyper-threading opposed to a quad core with hyper-threading. The GTX 660 (or at least the TI model) has been a staple for cheap gaming, so that shouldn't be too much of the issue. It's probably a bit dated but I think you could get at least another two years out of it as long as your not afraid of running things on medium settings.

As an American, I know PC part prices differ by countries so I don't know exactly what to say. If you were to dump around $300 on PC parts, I would personally try to save a little more to get something like a new $70 mother board and a Intel Core i5-4690K processor (about $235 on amazon here).

RAM speed is hardly a factor, but it would be beneficial to get at least 8 gigs sometime in the future (either new or add similar sticks to what you currently have).
Jan 2, 2016 7:21 PM

Dec 2015
prons u get from skylake is that 15nm saves more energy, build less heat, and more slots/connectors futureproof like m.2 etc.
as for performance between the haswell, there is no big difference. i'd go with haswell anyday if you are on budget.

I dont live in the us, so i dont know the prices there.
but id suggest you to get something like i5 4460, as i am pretty sure you wont overlclock anything and get a quality motherboard.

what i think you should do is wait for summer as prices goes down and stores cleaning their storages. That's where all the good stuff getting really cheap. Get your parts seasonal.

good luck fam
Jan 2, 2016 7:29 PM
Apr 2008
Technology will always get better every year. A computer is a tool not a investment. Do not think of future proofing PC hardware think of it as what's the best parts I can get out of my budget. If you want a better PC build and don't have enough cash its better to save up before spending it.

The single threaded performance from i5 650 -> i5 4690K should be a day and night different. So upgrading the CPU + MB would give you a performance boost.

Between Haswell and Skylake performance isn't that huge but the only the only reason I could think of going for Skylake is for DDR4 ram and the prices has been drastically reduce since Skylake introduction.
Jan 2, 2016 7:42 PM

Jul 2015
Depends if you'e going for a budget upgrade or not. Budget, get an AMD processor that can, for the most part, do as much as an Intel, for less the price. I think the motherboard shouldn't be something you should spend a whole lot on. Easily -$150.
You could get more RAM and aim to get 1600+.

For Intel cpu, get the i5 4690k. The i7 4790k is a pleb trap, dont fall for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

For AMD, maybe you could go for https://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad785kxbjabox
Jan 3, 2016 3:42 AM

May 2015
If main intent is gaming then you shouldn't get an i7 because no benefit. Also I think it's quite future proof too, because since most AAA games are done for consoles and pc they have to limit the game to run on both platforms.
Jan 3, 2016 10:56 AM

Oct 2014
Yo guys thanks for all the tips and info!
I've decided to go with the Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 3 and Intel Core i5 4690K and upgrade my memory and GPU in the future ^.^
Hi
Jan 3, 2016 11:29 AM

Aug 2013
Go with i5, i7 is just overkill when it comes to gaming. and a cheap motherboard something like asrock. as for the GPU, if you're not comfortable with the 5 fps improvement you get from the r9 380 nitro, then you should get AMD Radeon R9 Fury X or GTX 980 TI but it's really expensive.
Jan 3, 2016 12:08 PM

Oct 2014
pennymalubay said:
Go with i5, i7 is just overkill when it comes to gaming. and a cheap motherboard something like asrock. as for the GPU, if you're not comfortable with the 5 fps improvement you get from the r9 380 nitro, then you should get AMD Radeon R9 Fury X or GTX 980 TI but it's really expensive.

As I said in the post just above you is what I ordered today so I'm broke now but I will upgrade my GPU and Ram in the future when I got money again ^.^
People said that the GTX 660 will do fine atm so I decided to go with a CPU and motherboard for now
Hi
Jan 3, 2016 1:55 PM

Jul 2013
You should invest for AMD processor which will be better for the money and performance. If budget weren't an issue then stick with the Intel I7. I5 is okay but probably will handle about few years while i7 longer.

Or better, just throw it away since it has spartan configuration and save up to get a better PC
Renaultclio101Jan 3, 2016 2:24 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2016 6:38 PM

Dec 2010
Just go all-in with a motherboard, anything else can be compromised tbh...
キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
Jan 6, 2016 4:33 PM

Jan 2015
Sry if i post here, i just want to test my signature ( ._.)?!
Jan 6, 2016 5:00 PM

May 2013
I would save for a better CPU/Motherboard combo. You could also sli the GTX 660 you have now once you upgrade your cpu/motherboard

For gaming Intel always trumps AMD, AMDs are better priced but benchmark them vs Intel and Intel almost always trumps comparable AMD cpus
I snagged an i7-4790k for ~$275usd/before taxes during holiday sales, I'd just wait around for when those kind of deals come back

More topics from this board

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

4 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
10 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.