Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 2, 2016 1:45 AM

Apr 2015
Note: I honestly don't care if someone has thought of this idea before. I only thought of it just now.

My definition of Esports: Esports are any virtual game played by people who are paid to play the game for a living (which we will refer to as “virtual athletes”)

Playing games professionally has been apparent in Japan for many years now with games such as Tekken, League of Legends, Mortal Kombat to name a few promoting it. As there is an obvious trend of game related anime becoming big hitters in the last couple of years. (SAO & NGNL)

Why hasn't Japan ceased this opportunity of making an anime like Ping-Pong The Animation, but with virtual athletes? This in my opinion is a truly fascinating idea as it would be interesting seeing how professional gamers deal with trying be ahead of the curve, how to keep motivated, what outsiders think and tackling many themes along the way.

Edit: Regarding all people that are just going to post subjective "it'd be boring." Refer to all the replies I have made regarding how the anime could work.

Edit2: For love of god before commenting "It wouldn't work because it's not fun." Read ALL the comments I made regarding how the anime would work.
JkayWJan 4, 2016 12:52 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 2, 2016 1:48 AM

May 2008
Because it's not a thing in Japan to the point where someone writing manga/making anime would be interested in it, probably.
Jan 2, 2016 1:53 AM

Aug 2013
I could see this happening down the road when the scene inevitably takes over the world. Like there's a couple good Japanese smash players. They could do a show based on their story or something.

LOL at asking for something similar to ping pong with an esports premise, though
that's asking a lot
Jan 2, 2016 2:01 AM

Apr 2009
Honestly, I think it's bound to happen eventually.
They made a manga about Daigo, albeit it seems relatively short so far.
So I wouldn't be surprised if an actual production came out within the next few years.
Jan 2, 2016 2:02 AM

Jul 2011
Becouse e-sport is not popular in Japan, they are mostly console gamers
Jan 2, 2016 2:04 AM

Apr 2009
Dort said:
Nah man, it's all about the portable consoles over there.
Monster Hunter all day.
Jan 2, 2016 2:05 AM

Apr 2015
Dort said:

What about you read what the fuck I just posted before posting. "Esports are any virtual game played by people who are paid to play the game for a living"
Console games are still virtual games which you CAN earn a living for. Plus in the next couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if Esports was a really well known enough to make an anime.
JkayWJan 2, 2016 2:09 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2016 2:05 AM

Feb 2013
Dort said:
this.
korea is the more competitive one... how many e-athlets from japan are there compared to korean or chinese ones?

but there has been at least one gaming competition anime, Arcade Gamer Fubuki
Jan 2, 2016 2:08 AM

Jul 2011
JkayW said:

Console games are still virtual games which you CAN earn a living for.

Console games are shit for competitive gaming, that's it
Jan 2, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2014
A Manga documenting the Diago Parry

That would be next level
Jan 2, 2016 2:11 AM

Nov 2014
Dort said:
JkayW said:

smdh

Fighting games are better on consoles.

Jan 2, 2016 2:16 AM

Jul 2014
Dort said:
JkayW said:

Do you think PC Moba's are the only E-Sport games that exist or something? Ever heard of Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, Mortal Kombat Competative Scene's? Halo, Call of Duty Competative Scene's?

Don't talk out of your ass.
ZjjJan 2, 2016 2:20 AM
Jan 2, 2016 2:18 AM

Feb 2013
JkayW said:
Note: I honestly don't care if someone has thought of this idea before. I only thought of it just now.

My definition of Esports: Esports are any virtual game played by people who are paid to play the game for a living (which we will refer to as “virtual athletes”)

Playing games professionally has been apparent in Japan for many years now with games such as Tekken, League of Legends, Mortal Kombat to name a few promoting it. As there is an obvious trend of game related anime becoming big hitters in the last couple of years. (SAO & NGNL)

Why hasn't Japan ceased this opportunity of making an anime like Ping-Pong The Animation, but with virtual athletes? This in my opinion is a truly fascinating idea as it would be interesting seeing how professional gamers deal with trying be ahead of the curve, how to keep motivated, what outsiders think and tackling many themes along the way.
well.. to answer the last paragraph specifically

for there to be anime, there usually must first be manga/ln/vn; afaik the only one is that sc2 visual novel which i believe is western made
therefore, the idea of esports story is not that popular yet, in japan or anywhere, to justify funding an entire tv series based on it
Jan 2, 2016 2:19 AM

Jul 2011
Ahegaoo said:
Dort said:

Do you think LoL, Dota and Smite are the only E-Sport games that exist or something? Ever heard of Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, KoF, Mortal Kombat Competative Scene's? Halo, Call of Duty Competative Scene's?

Don't talk out of your ignorant ass, makes you look stupid.

You don't know what are you speaking about, those games are better on Arcade, with a joystick, not with a fucking joypad
And every fps is way more competitive wit a M+K
Jan 2, 2016 2:22 AM

Jul 2014
Dort said:
Ahegaoo said:

Do you think LoL, Dota and Smite are the only E-Sport games that exist or something? Ever heard of Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, KoF, Mortal Kombat Competative Scene's? Halo, Call of Duty Competative Scene's?

Don't talk out of your ignorant ass, makes you look stupid.

You don't know what are you speaking about, those games are better on Arcade, with a joystick, not with a fucking joypad

You realize Fightsticks exist for that one reason? Right? Have you even watched EVO or literally anything at all? Justin Wong uses's Pad and he wins, you obviously don't know much at all.

Don't go callin console competitive gaming shit when you don't know shit yourself my man.
Jan 2, 2016 2:23 AM

Jul 2011
Ahegaoo said:
Dort said:

You realize Fightsticks exist for that one reason? Right? Have you even watched EVO or literally anything at all? Obviously not.

Don't go callin console competitive gaming shit when you don't know shit yourself my man.

You know there are Fightsticks even for pc? So what?
Jan 2, 2016 2:24 AM

Aug 2014
If one were to write an esports manga, the audience would not really get it at all since they are new from that "game". If the "game" is from the real world, it may be criticized as "advertisement" for the game which is kinda bad.
keimaconquestaJan 2, 2016 2:25 AM
sup
Jan 2, 2016 2:26 AM

Jul 2014
Dort said:
Ahegaoo said:

You realize Fightsticks exist for that one reason? Right? Have you even watched EVO or literally anything at all? Obviously not.

That's my entire point? Console is viable and has been used for years and years for events like EVO, nobody uses PC, you don't have a clue at all on what you're talking about.
Jan 2, 2016 2:30 AM

Jul 2011
Ahegaoo said:
Dort said:

That's my entire point? Console is viable and has been used for years and years for events like EVO, nobody uses PC, you don't have a clue at all on what you're talking about.

Ok restart the discussion

E-sports is more popular on pc or console games?
PC

What a japanese play?
Console

the end
Jan 2, 2016 3:05 AM

Apr 2015
Dort said:
Ahegaoo said:

PC

What a japanese play?
Console

the end

It doesn't matter what platform Esports is more popular on. It's the fact that I THINK that learning about Esports behind the scenes in anime form would be extremely fascinating.
JkayWJan 2, 2016 7:32 AM
Jan 2, 2016 3:17 AM

Apr 2015
Yes said:
If it already has a definition why do you feel the need to make your own one?

I thought the current definition was a bit off so I provided my own, which didn't effect anyone. Only effected idiots that can't read.
Jan 2, 2016 3:19 AM

Apr 2010
Would there be a point? Kirito-sama would win all the tournaments.
Jan 2, 2016 3:20 AM

Sep 2013
Can't wait for an anime about moe girls playing counter strike
Jan 2, 2016 3:20 AM

Sep 2015
JkayW said:

It doesn't matter what platform Esports is more popular on. It's the fact that learning about Esports behind the scenes in anime form would be extremely fascinating.

no it wouldn't

Yes said:

this.
e-sport is just competitive gaming with organized leagues.

Jan 2, 2016 3:21 AM

Apr 2015
lol? ESports is already anime.

Dunno why these shit links aint woring but here

Try not to cringe challenge basically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqoqKriduQg&ab_channel=be-nigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZRRo-rze_k&ab_channel=be-nigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBC-8QIfJE&ab_channel=JoJo

EDIT: and this 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSasS_Ievnk&ab_channel=St00pidSmash
Noxious_Jan 2, 2016 3:25 AM
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Jan 2, 2016 3:22 AM

Jun 2015
So wait, you mean like turning manga/anime making into a sport?
That is a... pretty fucking cool idea, like wtf...
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 2, 2016 3:25 AM

Apr 2015
Nigami_Shin said:
JkayW said:

It doesn't matter what platform Esports is more popular on. It's the fact that learning about Esports behind the scenes in anime form would be extremely fascinating.

no it wouldn't

Yes said:

this.
e-sport is just competitive gaming with organized leagues.

Well that's your subjective opinion if you would find it fascinating or not. Even if that opinion is made out of manure.
Jan 2, 2016 3:28 AM

Jun 2015
JkayW said:

Well that's your subjective opinion if you would find it fascinating or not. Even if that opinion is made out of manure.

I lol'ed. And I agree with you. I would find it very interesting.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 2, 2016 3:31 AM

Feb 2014
The life of an Esports gamer is not that interesting... because its basically hours of repeatedly playing the same game.

I can understand your interest and the potential, but you have to understand that Esports gamers don't express the level of "hype" compared to real sports.

Now an anime about surfing would be cool.
Jan 2, 2016 4:11 AM

Jul 2011
JkayW said:
Dort said:

PC

What a japanese play?
Console

the end

Dude, you opened a 3D called " Why isn't Esport Anime a thing?"

Not "would you like to watch an E-sport based anime"
Jan 2, 2016 4:31 AM

Apr 2015
Dort said:
JkayW said:

Wanting an Esport anime falls under the category of "Why isn't Esport anime a thing."
Please stop typing.
Jan 2, 2016 4:38 AM

Jan 2012
Because it isn't popular in Japan , and honestly it would be difficult for people to identify with. It is very easy for us to understand and feel passionate about something like basketball or volleyball because we understand the rules through and through and have probably seen someone play it.

In cases like E-Sports what game will they play? CS:GO , DotA2 , LoL? Probably not any game you know simply because of copyright.

It would have to be a game which you don't know and which you most likely wouldn't be able to be passionate about , simply because it doesn't actually exist.
Jan 2, 2016 4:40 AM

Jun 2015
JkayW said:
Dort said:

Wanting an Esport anime falls under the category of "Why isn't Esport anime a thing."
Please stop typing.

What? No lol.
An anime about Esports is one thing, but an Esport with anime is completely different. How can you even say that lol.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 2, 2016 4:54 AM

Apr 2015
katsaroulhs said:
JkayW said:

Please stop typing.

What? No lol.
An anime about Esports is one thing, but an Esport with anime is completely different. How can you even say that lol.

*sighs*
When discussing "Why isn't Esport anime a thing." You will most likely ask yourself. "Would I want an esport anime?" I worded my sentence incorrectly.
Jan 2, 2016 4:56 AM

Feb 2015
Because playing console and being a nerd is a very bad idea in Japanese culture. They are a collectivists and truly care for their neighbors. They do not want them to be selfish and anti-social. Also, stereotyping is common. If you play console (or even e-sports) people will deter you because you are considered a nerd. Japanese also hates nerds.
JomsJan 2, 2016 4:58 AM
Jan 2, 2016 5:39 AM

Feb 2013
JkayW said:
katsaroulhs said:

What? No lol.

*sighs*
When discussing "Why isn't Esport anime a thing." You will most likely ask yourself. "Would I want an esport anime?" I worded my sentence incorrectly.
when discussing "Why isn't Esport anime a thing." the better question would be "would the anime audience want an esport anime?"

the answer is "not really"

i cant see an anime like that be succesful at least for now
Jan 2, 2016 5:42 AM

Jun 2015
Dunno, sounds like a pretty lame idea tbh.
Jan 2, 2016 5:44 AM

Aug 2013
Don't ask Japan. Ask Korea, whose infrastructure and culture of e-sport are unparalleled by anyone in the world.
Jan 2, 2016 5:51 AM

Oct 2012
Probably because the market for PC gaming in Japan is tiny vs the arcade/console market and most major e-sports are on PC so really only fighting games have a presence in terms of competitive gaming. Basically there is little interest in competitive gaming in Japan so there is no market for an e-sports show.

Although I guess technically the GGO arc of SAO would be e-sports so there is that.
Jan 2, 2016 5:52 AM

Apr 2014
Amiluhur said:
Don't ask Japan. Ask Korea, whose infrastructure and culture of e-sport are unparalleled by anyone in the world.

Yeah, if anything, I'd expect a manhwa to come out. Maybe if that'll be successful, we'll some other appearances of esports
your waifu is shit
Jan 2, 2016 7:01 AM

Jan 2008
JkayW said:
It's the fact that learning about Esports behind the scenes in anime form would be extremely fascinating.

No, it would be extremely boring. Most people don't care about watching other people play video games. Why would you want to watch an anime about people playing a video game when you can watch an anime about BEING in a video game. SAO, Log Horizon, Accel World, heck even Gundam Build Fighters count.
Jan 2, 2016 7:09 AM

Jun 2015
romagia said:
JkayW said:

*sighs*
when discussing "Why isn't Esport anime a thing." the better question would be "would the anime audience want an esport anime?"

And my answer is "yes really".
I would find it very interesting.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 2, 2016 7:12 AM

Mar 2015
because playing game is more interesting than watch people playing game.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 2, 2016 7:13 AM

Mar 2015
Watch thw South Park episode 'Make Love Not Warcraft'. This should suit your taste.
Jan 2, 2016 7:17 AM

Jul 2011
Playing and watching are different things.
Jan 2, 2016 8:00 AM

Sep 2013
katsaroulhs said:
romagia said:

You =/= anime audience. Sorry, but I can't see this happening until it gets mainstream in Japan which is probably not going to happen any time soon. Anime is a business after all.
Jan 2, 2016 8:08 AM

Jun 2015
delija9091 said:
katsaroulhs said:

You =/= anime audience.

Exactly my point though. I answered in this manner because people in this forum seem to struggle with the definition of the word "opinion". I know it is unlikely, still I would like to see it. Someone else might not. Simple.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 2, 2016 8:16 AM

Apr 2015
delija9091 said:
katsaroulhs said:

You =/= anime audience. Sorry, but I can't see this happening until it gets mainstream in Japan which is probably not going to happen any time soon. Anime is a business after all.

Before I start I'll fix a quote I said early for intensive purposes "It's the fact that some people enjoy looking at esports behind the scenes."

You don't equal the anime audience either so It's quite hypocritical for you to even say that.

Business's take risks. You can say some anime make an anime out of a manga to promote the source material so what about an anime to promote the "source material" which being Esports?

Both of us do not know about an untapped market of people interested in knowing about Esports. People in Japan MAY be interested. I certainly know that and most anime fans are familiar with games so why not let an anime fan know more about professional games and let them know you can make a living out of it.
JkayWJan 2, 2016 8:29 AM
Jan 2, 2016 8:22 AM

Apr 2015
Kuma said:

That's another subjective opinion. You don't equal the anime audience and neither do i.

The matter of which this "fictional" Esport anime is dealt with, I could see it have some promising results.

It obviously wouldn't be just about playing the game and the strategy behind it but more about the players and setting BEHIND THE GAME. Much like ping-pong it would be more character driven and not just about the game. Hell when they play the game they could even act as if they're inside the game for entertainment purposes.
Jan 2, 2016 8:33 AM

Mar 2015
JkayW said:
Kuma said:
That's another subjective opinion. You don't equal the anime audience and neither do i.

The matter of which this "fictional" Esport anime is dealt with, I could see it have some promising results.

It obviously wouldn't be just about playing the game and the strategy behind it but more about the players and setting BEHIND THE GAME. Much like ping-pong it would be more character driven and not just about the game. Hell when they play the game they could even act as if they're inside the game for entertainment purposes.
the problem is what you can show in playing game?
behind the game? there is no training outside the time you playing. watching them must be boring. character driven? what can happened with e-sports and character? i think the drama even more close to personal problem than have correlation wuth e-sports it self.
last sentence even not different from chu2byou.

if playing game is not FAR more entertaining than watch it, e-sport already aired on TV like every sport. game is entertaining because you play it and experience it. not watch enother people play it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» List of characters you want to shoot

dumbandinsane - Yesterday

24 by MeanMrMusician »»
41 seconds ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

61 by DreamingBeats »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 2 hours ago

9 by EpicO4 »»
3 minutes ago

» Is an anime good if...

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

17 by Sorachin »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 26 minutes ago

4 by Maou_heika »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.