Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 7, 2016 5:06 PM

Feb 2010
Oh yeah, she tells you before that while explaining shit.
Jan 8, 2016 5:34 PM

Sep 2012
TR-8RCaim said:
The difference here is that those three endings are states of failure. A game over. A result of ineptitude and entirely optional. Generally, the impact of death as a failure state is much less meaningful than the impact of death as an narrative event when you successfully progress through a game.

Calling them a "result of ineptitude" is forcing it. You literally have no clue what is gonna happen when you go through each door or if the choice you're making is the right one, you basically go randomly hoping that "this will be the best choice" or "what will happen next?". There is no strategy or planning involved in your choices that should be rewarded with "punishment", so to speak (I personally liked all the endings aside from the coffin one, so I honestly don't care about "lessening the emotional impact" by doing them).

TR-8RCaim said:
Forget what? I'm aware that the concept of repeating deaths is integral to the plot but that's still not going to deter the critique that the repeating deaths lessen the emotional impact and dramatic tension, both of which are two very important elements a game based on mystery, suspense, and escape must have.

First, emotional impact or dramatic tension don't affect the quality (or lack of) behind the writting of a mystery, this is just false. You don't need to care or be tense as hell to get blown away by the reveals that happens in the game. Suspense and escape are arguarble however, I will concede that point.

Secondly, If you are going to say that, then you have to accept the flawed game design on 999's part as well. No clues or evidence that relates to the fact that you are going down a bad ending also lessens the emotional impact of the game if you stumble upon them (which has a pretty high chance of happening in this one, since both the safe and true end require that you DON'T fullfill the bad end requirements), regardless of chance. And before you say something about the bad ends in VLR besides the ones in 999, no, you can easily avoid almost all of them by simple looking at the flowchart (At least one of them was supposed to be a twist IIRC)

TR-8RCaim said:
Then I'd argue that it's bad writing. A good narrative work should tell a complete and cohesive story without having to reference other works (especially a work that was real close to being non-existent) for the audience to understand several concepts and ideas.

The explanation of why Radical-6 is used in the game is explained however. The cult, while a plot point in 999, may not have been as popular or known as it was when the events of VLR took place, even if Brother had enough money by the time the events in 999 happened. Cloning is literally being studied right now. Thinking that in the future (or in another reality's future) it could happen is not too far-fetched.

The only important information missing is why Radical-6 got out, which is what we actually want to find out in the (pre)sequel. VLR's point was to give our characters conclusion and to allow a chance for a miracle to happen and save mankind, which is what we did.

TR-8RCaim said:
I believe that's incorrect. I'm reviewing VLR's right now and puzzles were never mentioned by Akane as a means to heighten Sigma and Phi's powers. She had them infected with Radical-6 and experience danger to heighten their "processing power". She also made them play the ambidex game in order to help them better retain memory when jumping over multiple timelines but never does she mention the puzzles. Even in 999, it isn't sudden realizations or discovery that strengthens their powers, it's the sense of danger. The puzzles were there so Espers could transmit the solutions over towards the receivers. In VLR, the puzzles are just there for the sake of being there. In 999, the puzzles have an actual plot-related purpose with dandy messages that relate to the theme of the game. While you may dismiss 999's puzzles as just puzzles by the end of the day, it's those little subtleties that can show a game's charm and affect the overall presentation.

You are wrong on both accounts.

999 wiki (because I'm way too fucking lazy to get 999 and play through it again):

>Accessing the morphogenetic fields, as explained in Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, are affected by two things. Those things are epiphany and danger, and while not required, they boost one's ability to access the field. By how much is unknown, but assumed a significant amount. Epiphany is explained as the feeling of when one is working on a difficult problem and the answer just sort of "pops" in their head. The second factor, danger, is required to be life or death.

Source: http://zeroescape.wikia.com/wiki/Morphogenetic_field

TR-8RCaim said:
Irrelevant? My criticism is on how the writer dumbed down Clover's complexities, motivations, and personality in VLR. Of course I'm not going to like VLR Clover, it's why I'm criticizing in the first place. If you're just going to motion it as irrelevant, why even bother discussing in the first place?

Because she has complexities, motivations and personality in VLR as well and because you don't like her doesn't mean she doesn't? Honestly, they're not that different. Change "muh Snake" to "muh Alice" in terms of motivation and the fact that she acts slutty to get what she wants (probably a result of her gaining more confidence and training for the sake of being a spy to obtain information by using her assets) and you pretty much have the same character; a clinging, weak but good-hearted girl that goes full retard when you kill her loved ones.

TR-8RCaim said:
Except it's really hard to tell if that's Phi genuinely saying that as part of her character or the game simply making you second guess yourself like in every other AB round.

She genuinely tells you that you are a total idiot if you choose Ally in the first round though, like, everytime, is not second guessing this time. She tells you why the best solution to the prisoners dilemna is "ally" in the long run, but tells you to choose "betray" because that's the smartest choice right now. So no, that's false.

TR-8RCaim said:
Phi had the potential to be a very good character but she's incredibly inconsistent and towards the later half of the game she essentially mellows out and gets outshined by Tenmyouji, Luna, and even Akane.

You mean the girl who's mind actually goes back and forth between timelines (in which ones she has good memories of you but in others bad ones) that somtimes can only remember a few details has an incosistent actitude towards you? Well no shit.

And c'mon now, Akane was a mix between a plot device an infodump: the character. The only ones worth giving a damn are Tenmyouji, Phi, Sigma and maybe Luna.
GoldenSaltPillarJan 8, 2016 5:38 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 7 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
7 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

4 by _Nette_ »»
7 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.