Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think fanservice ruined a part of the Anime industry's identity?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Nov 7, 2016 2:56 AM

Nov 2009
Eranime90 said:
In the meantime I do believe neither fanservice for males of female should be to present in any anime that is not specifickly for fanservice. I will never complain about jiggly big breasts in ecchi anime. It's a genre for it. It belongs there. I will complain about it in anime withoud that tag. Anime should be about interesting characters, stories and plots. And characters should all be given equal treatment. Female characters need to be interesting to female watchers as well and to male characters who want to see a story, and not jiggling boobs. Because yes, there are plenty of guys who do in fact find fanservice annoying as it underestimates their abilty to be able to enjoy and priciate a story or it's characters withoud sex being thrown into it. Not every guy thinks with his manhood. And frankly it's insulting to men as it is to women.

Lets hope it's a fase, and the new batch of anime will stop with the weird boob and panty shots in anime where it doesn't belong.

Arrgh. I hate this kind of logic.
1) You suffer from plot-centrism.
No, an anime doesn't have to be about characters, stories and plots. It can be about fights, pantyshots, jokes and/or atmosphere.
For most anime, plot is just something that brings the content together, but it's the content that we care about.

2) As a female, you should have no problems seeing stories and stuff when there are jiggling boobs on screen. I understand that teenage boys can't do that because they're too distracted, but I expect everybody else to have no problems.
Just because the screen shows Ryo-tas moving about and her impressive breasts bouncing about, doesn't mean the conversation isn't important and interesting. If you aren't into ongoing anime, substitute SAOII and Sinon's nicely-framed ass.

3) No, fanservice does not work on its own. It only works because we like the rest of the work. Because we're fans. Because we care about the female character enough that we're interested in seeing her panties.
We would have appreciated the story even without the fanservice. Fanservice is something that make us like an anime even more.

4) There is no point in making all mainstream entertainment sterile. Why? Why would you want that?
Do you just want to oppress men?
Do you want sexuality to stop existing? It would not happen. In fact, I expect sterile entertainment to lead to more sexual tension IRL, and more problems IRL.

P.S. And I can agree that female watchers aren't getting as much fanservice as male watchers do. It's just that I think the answer is "more female-oriented fanservice!", not "purge fanservice out of anime!". Because I want everybody to be happy, not for everybody to be equal and frustrated.

Eranime90 said:
So don't give me crap about there bein handsome guys. Once the amount of diversity in female characters becomes the same as with male characters, and we get the same close up crotch and ass shots guys get for their female characters, then we'll talk.

Now, I'm probably not qualified to talk about it, but I don't think female characters in harems are any less diverse than male characters in reverse harems. I've heard that shoujo anime has plenty of character stereotypes too (and that male cast of Mahouka is full of them).
Or do you mean diversity in main character role? There isn't much diversity for men there too, you know.
Nov 7, 2016 3:05 AM
Dec 2014
Yes I believe that meaningless Fanservice has started to ruin the "anime" genre in itself. I mean hell I love Ecchi and all that good stuff but the recent anime from now since 1-2 years ago have been really shitty. I mean yeah there was good anime but what I'm talking about is just anime that is just completely fanservice with no story or character progression or anything, just meaningless episodic fanservice filled anime. And it seems that, that is what is mostly coming out nowadays.
Nov 7, 2016 3:10 AM
Dec 2014
Yasukoto said:
Nope, moe and loli ruined the anime industry. Sexy women have always been a thing but underaged girls in sexy positions with panty shots and what not is very creepy especially in todays society, essentially a pedo in waiting. You could turn on NBC and see hot chicks.

wrong again buddy. Moe or loli has nothing to do with this discussion, nor anything to do with the problem at hand. Nothing wrong with moe or loli anime aslong as it's in its one little sub genre. You know they usually are just in the Comedy, SOL, shoujo type genres. And some people are into that but not nearly as much as people are with fanservice.
Nov 7, 2016 7:49 AM
Aug 2015
tearbender said:
I think fanservice has really defined anime for most non-anime watchers. Countless anime stores I've been to with my parents have had heaps of overly-sexualised merchandise which make me really uncomfortable. I'm fine with people who like fanservice but I really dislike how mainstream it's become to sexualise (mainly female) characters in an otherwise good anime. It sucks that fanservice sells. Many people judge anime just based on the fanserviced characters they may have seen, and forget that EVERY medium (ie. Hollywood) has its fair share of fanservice as well.

Only when it's fanservce for guys right
But its ok then when male Chacters are
Being oversexualized #doublestandied
Nov 7, 2016 8:48 AM
Mar 2016
Dunno, for some reason the best shows I saw all have a certain ammount of ecchiness, and it fits pretty well in. So just keep it going, I dont care too much about people being picky about boobs.
Nov 7, 2016 8:50 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
So fucking stupid... fanservice is why anime is so popular
Nov 7, 2016 9:32 AM

May 2014
Quick and simple answer...... yes.
Nov 7, 2016 10:01 AM

Oct 2015
No, but peoples' overreaction to fanservice did.
Nov 7, 2016 10:05 AM

Jun 2016
Personally, I do not watch ecchi. Not because I'm disgusted or critical, but rather,all the ecchi anime I've seen so far lack depth of character and plot. If there are good ones that I might enjoy, I am unaware of them.

Well, in terms of fanservice as a threat to the anime industry, I don't think so. There are all kinds of people who watch anime and some of them do enjoy fanservice. So, why should they be deprived of their means of entertainment while the others enjoy their own favorite aspects of anime? It's the same for any fictional work. There're books, ''normal' movies or series that have fanservice, but they are not a threat to the overall industry. Everyone chooses what they like and watches it. I understand your concern, but I don't think it's our business to interfere with others' taste.

P.S. One show I remember that made me think like 'You have a really good plot, enough with the fanservice already!' was Cross Ange. I really enjoyed the plot and characters a lot, but the fanservice was overdone and got in the way. But I still kept watching for the sake of the plot :)
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 40 minutes ago

8 by ame »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 7 hours ago

33 by palm-tree »»
5 minutes ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 15 minutes ago

0 by Angelblue1852 »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 9 hours ago

19 by Archean-Return »»
16 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 11 hours ago

33 by FanofAction »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.