Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 29, 2015 7:43 AM
Jul 2018
If by graphics you mean a combination of artwork and animation, I'm going to say Akira. Even after all these years, I still haven't seen anything better.
Dec 29, 2015 7:44 AM

Mar 2015
I nominate Free - Eternal Summer for the musc... cough... WATER!
Dec 29, 2015 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
Wensbane said:
If by graphics you mean a combination of artwork and animation, I'm going to say Akira. Even after all these years, I still haven't seen anything better.

You haven´t seen fairy tail fillers then.
Dec 29, 2015 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
So many people recommend Fate... I guess it's worth watching
Dec 29, 2015 8:18 AM

Jul 2015
Recuvan said:

Oh dear .

Listen closely .As a UBW fan I'd like to recommend it to you but thanks to the way it was adapted few people actually understood the story because of the 'bad' characterization .Basically the MC seems like a pretty horrible excuse for a protagonist but I'll just say now that if you look at 'why' he does 'what' he does rather than what he does then you should enjoy it immensely .

Fate Zero is good though .You should definitely try it .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dec 29, 2015 8:24 AM

Jul 2007
Recuvan said:

Nobody sane can recomend fate beyond Fate/Zero.
Dec 29, 2015 8:29 AM

Jul 2012
Recuvan said:
No. Never.

Helenus said:
I nominate Free - Eternal Summer for the musc... cough... WATER!
God bless KyoAni.
Plus: Good music, good voice acting, good characters, good story. They got everything.
Dec 29, 2015 8:33 AM

May 2015
What do you mean by that?

In terms of character design, Danganronpa and Future Diary have the most expressive and beautiful designs.

In terms of detailed backgrounds, there's Mushishi, Monster and Psycho-Pass. I might add Texhnolyze but it's too colorless.

In terms of unique visual ideas, there are the Angels of NGE, the D-Reaper of Digimon Tamers and any medabot in Medabots.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 29, 2015 8:34 AM

Aug 2014
Graphics really isn't the right word. I would probably say kara no kyoukai for my most visually appealing show.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 29, 2015 8:36 AM

Aug 2014
Although there are plenty of really pretty shows that I haven't seen and yeah there are lots of different aspects to consider. I find the character designs in sayonara zetsubou sensei visually appealing but I don't think it has the highest quality animation for example.

Dec 29, 2015 8:36 AM

Aug 2014
Although there are plenty of really pretty shows that I haven't seen and yeah there are lots of different aspects to consider. I find the character designs in sayonara zetsubou sensei visually appealing but I don't think it has the highest quality animation for example.

Dec 29, 2015 8:38 AM

Sep 2013
Kyoani shows.

Madhouse too, but they have a more raw feeling to them.
Dec 29, 2015 5:33 PM

May 2012
A-1 Pictures is usually a pretty mediocre studio, but they did invest a lot of effort in Shinsekaki yori. The boat ride under the stars was one memorable scene, but I had to take a screenshot of this one:

I can't begin to imagine how much effort it took to create all those tiny jaggies in the reflected image.

Saki is often portrayed quite beautifully:

Dec 29, 2015 6:09 PM

Apr 2014
REDLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 29, 2015 6:10 PM

Apr 2014
Wensbane said:
Than you haven't seen a lot..... <.<
Dec 29, 2015 6:35 PM

Apr 2015
5 centimeters per second, Monogatari series, OPM.
Dec 29, 2015 7:05 PM

Jun 2015
Try searching the Animes from KyoAni, Ufotable and Makoto Shinkai Works.

Dec 29, 2015 8:40 PM

Mar 2014
Highest detail would be Shinkai's works like others have said. Angel beats! Has detailed backdrops but is otherwise unimpressive, and I've heard Kyoani's other shows are similar in their art.

I just started watching Fate/Stay Night, and I can see why people call it unlimited budget works, it's amazing in both detail and animation. K also has both of these qualities but is kind of lame outside of that. KnK has awesome cinematography, detailed setting, and fluid animation.

As far as styles go, FLCL, KLK, and Space Dandy are easily the best looking shows I've seen. I also think Psycho-Pass looks really good. fantastic color design, the setting is still detailed, but not to the extent of others I've listed.
Dec 29, 2015 8:45 PM

Dec 2015

Unlimited Blade Works. Apart from gorgeous CGI, the small details like the clouds in the sky are simply stunning. The only time they let off is some select frames, but that's just the fan in me nitpicking.
Dec 29, 2015 9:03 PM

Jan 2011
man so many tv shows here >_>

Milk_is_Special said:
Wensbane said:
Than you haven't seen a lot..... <.<

the art is outdated but there arent many anime out there that can match its animation
i do agree that Redline is the best one though
Dec 29, 2015 10:21 PM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
Highest detail would be Shinkai's works like others have said. Angel beats! Has detailed backdrops but is otherwise unimpressive, and I've heard Kyoani's other shows are similar in their art.

I just started watching Fate/Stay Night, and I can see why people call it unlimited budget works, it's amazing in both detail and animation. K also has both of these qualities but is kind of lame outside of that. KnK has awesome cinematography, detailed setting, and fluid animation.

As far as styles go, FLCL, KLK, and Space Dandy are easily the best looking shows I've seen. I also think Psycho-Pass looks really good. fantastic color design, the setting is still detailed, but not to the extent of others I've listed.

Based on the .gif here, Fate has a lot of details and high-end animation. That doesn't compare to KLK's creativity.
Dec 29, 2015 10:29 PM

Dec 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:

Based on the .gif here, Fate has a lot of details and high-end animation. That doesn't compare to KLK's creativity.

I think "good animation" can be defined in many ways. No doubt KLK's animation is great in that it is unique, but I think shows like UBW that use CGI masterfully or 5 Centimetres that utilise breathtaking backgrounds can also called "great"; however, I think they cannot be compared with each other or with KLK because of the difference in grading criteria. They simply cannot be compared in my opinion.
Dec 29, 2015 10:40 PM

Jul 2014
I'd say for unique styles of animation, anything from Trigger or Gainax easily with shows like Gurren Lagann, Panty and Stocking, FLCL, Dead Leaves, Little Witch Academia and Kill la Kill because the styles of the storyboards artists are very very unique and i'v never seen anything like it anywhere else in anime and SHAFT too with there unique style with shows like Monogatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Madoka Magica, cinematography is amazing on Monogatari for just being an anime.

KyoAni for beautiful and smooth animation with Kyoukai no Kanata, Hyouka and the more uniquely animated Nichijou.

Didn't include movies cause obviously they have a much higher budget so they all look really good.
ZjjDec 29, 2015 10:46 PM
Dec 29, 2015 10:56 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:

While I agree with you, 'graphics' is pretty vague, so I felt it was appropriate to list shows that uave a variety of good aesthetic qualities.

EDIT: what Cherrylover said.
Dec 29, 2015 11:32 PM

Jul 2007
Monogatari franchise still has some of the best cinematography and set piece design in anime ever(I know its not that big of accomplishment since a lot of anime looks like shit, but still).

The sense of directing is exquisite. Adding a sense of surrealism and mystique to setting that is very much contemporary, presenting a setting which has enough equipoise between natural and supernatural to feel unique. The use of camera, the use of abstract elements, the use of contrasts, the set architecture that borders between mix of modern and postmodern and minimalist/abstract interior design also adds to the feeling.

merryfistmas said:

I just started watching Fate/Stay Night, and I can see why people call it unlimited budget works, it's amazing in both detail and animation.

That is untill you actually pause, look past bland sfx effects and notice all the mediocre stick animation going on.

Or watch anything with actual choreography.

The only thing ufoubw has going for it are scenery backgrounds(which in itself is nothing out of ordinary as there's plenty of kitschy nature paintings in real life). Everything else looks like an ass once novelty of having thousands of bright flashes thrown at you wears off.
- The character designs look awful. I never knew someone had a talent to make Rin look completely ugly(Well I guess thats what you get when you decide she did not look Japanese or "cute" enough and mess with every aspect of her design). Shirou looks decent most of times(the only design that is mostly an improvement over the source), but every single female has weird fisheye face and when camera is set to show them at profile, they look like furries(Rhino is a meme).
- The choreography is non-existent. The fights lack actual character movement and mostly are just two objects being thrown at each other with lots of flashy lights to obscure it all. And when the show tries to do anything creative in terms of fighting, it ends up looking completely and utterly silly(not to mention ends up breaking the logic within the lore making it an asspull)
- The cinematography, yet again is non-existent, which, paired with completely mediocre directing, results in most supposedly emotional scenes ringing completely and utterly hollow. Which, when adding a completely rushed pacing, leads to the show eliciting nothing more but a "Huh?" from a viewer.
- The writing is mediocre to awful mot of the times. Characterization is non-existent so there's no way to like, understand or be impressed by the main character. Lore is mostly completely removed so most of the spoken exposition ends up being nothing more than a bunch of chuuni terminology thrown together. Most of romance is subdued, altered or removed(because we can't have the main character being pro-active or being in charge - that would ruin the trope of generic dense MC being bullied by abusive bitch of a tsundere). Most of philosophical depth the source has rings hollow without actual inner monologues that should flesh out character worldviews. Most of exposition removal, and lack of choreography leads to every scene feeling like an asspull(ex: charcters retreating for no reason, MC pulling out powers out of his ass).
- The music is subdued and unimpressive generic "movie soundtrack" that you can't even hear most of the time. Barring one or two tracks, its literally same generic track rearranged.

Ufoubw is a creatively dead, cynical, lifeless, mediocre attempt by aniplex to gather some cash from the fanbois. Nothing more. Everything in its production shouts "we don't have to try since it will sell anyway"
AhenshihaelDec 29, 2015 11:49 PM
Dec 29, 2015 11:32 PM
Dec 2015
Le Chevalier D'Eon - Maybe the animation is average but it's have amazing Art & Background to me.

Kyousou Giga & Mononoke - TOEI give us an incredible art & unique animation in both this series.

Uchouten Kazouku - An underrated anime from PA Works, it's have a beautiful animation.

Arakawa Under The Bridge - Sadly people just look at Monogatari & Madoka Magica if we talked about SHAFT, this anime have an unique animation too

Sakamichi no Apollon - The first anime made by MAPPA. Also have a stunning animation.
NotThisShitAgainDec 30, 2015 12:26 AM
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Dec 29, 2015 11:52 PM

Oct 2013
I like Love Live School Idol Project graphics
Dec 29, 2015 11:54 PM

Apr 2015
Princess Tutu looks beautiful despite the fact that it came out in 2002. Watching a 720p rip, I could've sworn it came out only a couple years ago, or even last season.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 30, 2015 12:14 AM
Jan 2015
Kara no kyoukai
Fate/Zero
Fate/stay night: UBW
Redline
Psycho-Pass
My Queens

Dec 30, 2015 12:44 AM
Jul 2018
All Makoto Shinkai works, Chihayafuru, Clannad, Ef-A Tale Of The Two, Nagi No Asukara, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Dec 30, 2015 10:18 AM

May 2015
CherryLover said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I think "good animation" can be defined in many ways. No doubt KLK's animation is great in that it is unique, but I think shows like UBW that use CGI masterfully or 5 Centimetres that utilise breathtaking backgrounds can also called "great"; however, I think they cannot be compared with each other or with KLK because of the difference in grading criteria. They simply cannot be compared in my opinion.

True, because they aim for different things. KLK is more focused on vivid visual ideas whereas 5CPS (based on screenshots, I admit) tries to bring the world to live via a lot of realistic detail.

I prefer the former approach most of the time. I find that it demands more creativity. Technical skill is boring. Still, I can't deny the power of a good background. Mushishi mastered that.
Dec 30, 2015 11:00 AM

Feb 2015
worldeditor11 said:
Final Fantasy VII : Advent Children

this.

i dare anyone to find better art.
Dec 30, 2015 11:01 AM

Feb 2015
Monstrum said:
DonKiller said:
I haven't watched manny but for now this is the best.

Just root for Shinkai's work. e.g.

overrated but good work.
Dec 30, 2015 11:09 AM

Feb 2015
Recuvan said:
So, I've been wondering what people consider as an anime with good artwork, animations, graphics - you name it. Wait, I'm talking about the anime with THE BEST GRAPHICS...

P.S. Pls don't troll and come up with anime such as Love Hina or Boku no Pico ;w;

Boku no Pico.

Joking....:D
there are so many anime with a good graphics, so i just choose the best from all of it, i think No game No Life and Nagi no Asukara have a really good graphics or animation in my opinion :D. OPM? Fuck the popularity!

Forgot one more, Fate Stay night UBW.
Dec 30, 2015 11:22 AM

Jul 2015
I liked Mahouka's animation actually .The fight between
was one where I really liked it .
SodiumChlorideDec 30, 2015 11:23 AM
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dec 30, 2015 11:23 AM

Aug 2015
For me Nagi no Asukara is probably the most beautiful show I have watched.

I have to agree with most others about the Fate series by Ufotable being excellent visually.

I also find that anime done by studio Bones really stands out visually for me. They tend to have beautiful animation and backdrops in their shows.
Dec 30, 2015 11:54 AM

Jul 2015
I think the best ones are those of series with lots of seasons, like Fate/Stay or To-Love Ru.

"You shall fall in love with someone who doesn't love you.
For not loving someone who did"

Dec 30, 2015 11:56 AM
Apr 2015
Redline
Kara no Kyoukai
Hyouka
Final Fantasy VII : Advent Children
Garden of Words
Dec 30, 2015 11:56 AM

Jul 2015
-Elevated- said:
Akira, One Punch Man and 5 cm/s are by far the greatest looking anime

I think that Saitama's enemies are always blinded when the sun reflects off his bald head, which makes him an opening.

"You shall fall in love with someone who doesn't love you.
For not loving someone who did"

Dec 30, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2012
idk if it's the "best", but i really love kyousougiga's visuals since it just looks so colorful and creative and i love that.
Dec 30, 2015 12:52 PM

Mar 2014
Fai said:
Monogatari franchise still has some of the best cinematography and set piece design in anime ever(I know its not that big of accomplishment since a lot of anime looks like shit, but still).

The sense of directing is exquisite. Adding a sense of surrealism and mystique to setting that is very much contemporary, presenting a setting which has enough equipoise between natural and supernatural to feel unique. The use of camera, the use of abstract elements, the use of contrasts, the set architecture that borders between mix of modern and postmodern and minimalist/abstract interior design also adds to the feeling.

merryfistmas said:

I just started watching Fate/Stay Night, and I can see why people call it unlimited budget works, it's amazing in both detail and animation.

That is untill you actually pause, look past bland sfx effects and notice all the mediocre stick animation going on.

The only thing ufoubw has going for it are scenery backgrounds(which in itself is nothing out of ordinary as there's plenty of kitschy nature paintings in real life). Everything else looks like an ass once novelty of having thousands of bright flashes thrown at you wears off.
- The character designs look awful. I never knew someone had a talent to make Rin look completely ugly(Well I guess thats what you get when you decide she did not look Japanese or "cute" enough and mess with every aspect of her design). Shirou looks decent most of times(the only design that is mostly an improvement over the source), but every single female has weird fisheye face and when camera is set to show them at profile, they look like furries(Rhino is a meme).
- The choreography is non-existent. The fights lack actual character movement and mostly are just two objects being thrown at each other with lots of flashy lights to obscure it all. And when the show tries to do anything creative in terms of fighting, it ends up looking completely and utterly silly(not to mention ends up breaking the logic within the lore making it an asspull)
- The cinematography, yet again is non-existent, which, paired with completely mediocre directing, results in most supposedly emotional scenes ringing completely and utterly hollow. Which, when adding a completely rushed pacing, leads to the show eliciting nothing more but a "Huh?" from a viewer.
- The writing is mediocre to awful mot of the times. Characterization is non-existent so there's no way to like, understand or be impressed by the main character. Lore is mostly completely removed so most of the spoken exposition ends up being nothing more than a bunch of chuuni terminology thrown together. Most of romance is subdued, altered or removed(because we can't have the main character being pro-active or being in charge - that would ruin the trope of generic dense MC being bullied by abusive bitch of a tsundere). Most of philosophical depth the source has rings hollow without actual inner monologues that should flesh out character worldviews. Most of exposition removal, and lack of choreography leads to every scene feeling like an asspull(ex: charcters retreating for no reason, MC pulling out powers out of his ass).
- The music is subdued and unimpressive generic "movie soundtrack" that you can't even hear most of the time. Barring one or two tracks, its literally same generic track rearranged.

Ufoubw is a creatively dead, cynical, lifeless, mediocre attempt by aniplex to gather some cash from the fanbois. Nothing more. Everything in its production shouts "we don't have to try since it will sell anyway"

I finished the first season just now and will admit the fight scenes are much less enjoyable as the show goes on and even become a drag, but there are many types of fight scenes. OPM has no choreography to speak of but still has great fights, you can tell very clearly what is going on even though it's flashy and over the top. The first two fights in UBW are a bit like that but less stylized. There are many shows that have high detail, look at all the ones listed here, but UBW is one of them, so it's worth mentioning.

Agree with Rins character design. The character designs aren't amazing in general, but I don't think I dislike them as much as you do.

The writing isn't relevant to this thread, but I do have some of the same issues as you do with it.
Dec 30, 2015 2:17 PM

Aug 2014
UBW does have a handful of really good fights imo but there are quite a few which are really bad. I laughed watching arkada's review because when showing examples of "beautiful fight scenes" it showed the archer vs caster fight where archer was dodging lasers over an ugly 3D plane...

Dec 30, 2015 2:39 PM

May 2013
Don't know about the best, but I've seen some beautiful art and animation in Sword Art Online.

Say what you want about the plot, but this is a feast for the eyes :)
Dec 30, 2015 2:44 PM

Aug 2014
Fate/Zero 2nd season has the best animation I've ever seen in an anime series .
Dec 30, 2015 3:17 PM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
Fai said:

I finished the first season just now and will admit the fight scenes are much less enjoyable as the show goes on and even become a drag, but there are many types of fight scenes. OPM has no choreography to speak of but still has great fights, you can tell very clearly what is going on even though it's flashy and over the top. The first two fights in UBW are a bit like that but less stylized. There are many shows that have high detail, look at all the ones listed here, but UBW is one of them, so it's worth mentioning.

Agree with Rins character design. The character designs aren't amazing in general, but I don't think I dislike them as much as you do.

The writing isn't relevant to this thread, but I do have some of the same issues as you do with it.

OPM has a lot of energy in it. Things explode nicely in it. That said, the visual ideas are lackluster. They're okay, but the series feels tame compared to KLK or Danganronpa. For all its attempts at being wild, everyone is just too macho.
Dec 30, 2015 3:18 PM
Jul 2015
Programmer69 said:
Fate series from ufotable has the best Art for me. But ufotable isn't good at animating. I think they must colaborate with Production I.G or Madhouse for a beter animation. Production I.G has their own 'Good Art and Good Animation' anime such as Psycho-Pass or Attack on Titan. And Madhouse has their latest work One Punch Man which is really good for me...

But both show you mentioned have a worse animation that Fate ? Both Psycho Pass and AoT had messy production with lots of still frames and really ufotable inhouse animator can do great jop they just don't have many

Fai said:

You are not the only one. Zero in all of aspects: Music, animation quality, character designs, cinematography, choreography, etc - shits on ufoubw.

Please tell me a scene in Zero that had a better animation than Nozomu Abe scene
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/17954/animated-beams-debris-effects-explosions-fate_seri
Dec 30, 2015 4:29 PM

Mar 2014
black1bait said:
UBW does have a handful of really good fights imo but there are quite a few which are really bad. I laughed watching arkada's review because when showing examples of "beautiful fight scenes" it showed the archer vs caster fight where archer was dodging lasers over an ugly 3D plane...
The first two, archer vs lancer and archer vs saber were great, but they were lacklaster afterwards with the one you mentioned being the worst.
Dec 30, 2015 4:48 PM

Dec 2014
Angel's Egg has good art Especially the backgrounds
Dec 30, 2015 7:03 PM

Dec 2015
Any anime made by Kyoto Animation because they look beautiful
Dec 30, 2015 9:47 PM

Dec 2015
I found Sword Art Online to have amazing graphics. Hopefully majority of you guys understand where I come from.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 4 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
50 seconds ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

228 by InsomniacBastard »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

13 by Teirayo »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

28 by AxiaG »»
12 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 2 hours ago

11 by Jozuwa-_- »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.