Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2015 10:10 PM

Nov 2008
I received the first “One Punch Man” Japanese Blu-Ray today; Bandai Visual Emotion #BCXA-1038. The Blu-Ray contains the first two episodes, an OAV, and a bunch of previews and commentaries. There is also a CD that contains a “mini-drama” along various voice actor bits, and a 12 page colour booklet.

What totally surprised me is that there is an option to turn on English Subtitles on the episodes and the OAV! (There is also an option to turn on Japanese subtitles, which is almost as rare as finding English subtitles on Japanese Blu-rays.)

The visual quality of the episodes is spectacular. I'm not bothering to go back to find the original broadcast versions, but I kept on feeling that I was seeing more details in the episodes, particularly during the various fights.

The OAV is a tiny bit of a step down in visual quality, but it is essentially an extended shaggy-dog story set just before Genos joins Saitama so that doesn't matter much.

There are tons of odds and ends features on the discs that I'll have to go through more carefully – for example there are live action hand puppets of Saitama and Genos that introduce the voice actors. And the ending to the OAV has to been seen to be believed – the voice actor for Saitama sings one of those typical Japanese Summer Festival songs.

All-in-all, the first Blu-ray is definitely worth every Yen I spent on it. (And even more so because I got it at around a 30% discount from Amazon Japan.)

So with the English subtitles you've got no excuse now – go order the Blu-rays. The more of us who buy them the better the chance that we will see more of this series animated.
Dec 28, 2015 10:14 PM

Nov 2014
Sorry, but I don't want Ingrish subtitles from a google translator.
And a bluray with 2 episodes for a price of a 24 episode show.

Dec 28, 2015 10:14 PM

Nov 2008
ExTamplier said:

What makes you think that is what is on the Blu-Rays? Have you bought a Blu-Ray copy and watched it?
Dec 28, 2015 10:15 PM

Nov 2014
dbaranyi said:
ExTamplier said:
What makes you think that is what is on the Blu-Rays? Have you bought a Blu-Ray copy and watched it?
1. Asians don't know English.
2. This is not the first time there were Ingrish subtitles with a show.
3. I can just download the rip and wait for a proper bluray version.
ExTemplarDec 28, 2015 10:16 PM

Dec 28, 2015 10:16 PM

Jan 2009
yep someone already said this months ago here http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1452225

this means that BDRips will be available soon on NyaaTorrents, and im gonna download it (ye im poor as fuck so im a pirate)
Dec 28, 2015 10:27 PM

Nov 2008
Well, I checked a couple minutes of the English subtitles and I didn't notice any "Ingrish". The translations seemed fairly professional. I guess that I could go through the credits a little more closely to see who got the credit for the translations, but I don't really feel a need to do that.
Dec 28, 2015 10:36 PM

Nov 2014
dbaranyi said:
The translations seemed fairly professional.
And you know that because you are fluent in Japanese, right?

Dec 29, 2015 5:09 AM

Nov 2008
ExTamplier said:
dbaranyi said:

Yes. Along with a few other languages. (There are people who learn foreign languages.)
Dec 29, 2015 6:29 AM
Aug 2015
ExTamplier said:
dbaranyi said:

why would he buy a japanese blu ray without knowing japanese. he said he was surprised that there were english sub.
Dec 29, 2015 6:31 AM

Apr 2014
I already ordered it.
Dec 29, 2015 7:26 AM

Jul 2011
dbaranyi said:
I received the first “One Punch Man” Japanese Blu-Ray today; Bandai Visual Emotion #BCXA-1038. The Blu-Ray contains the first two episodes, an OAV, and a bunch of previews and commentaries. There is also a CD that contains a “mini-drama” along various voice actor bits, and a 12 page colour booklet.

What totally surprised me is that there is an option to turn on English Subtitles on the episodes and the OAV! (There is also an option to turn on Japanese subtitles, which is almost as rare as finding English subtitles on Japanese Blu-rays.)

The visual quality of the episodes is spectacular. I'm not bothering to go back to find the original broadcast versions, but I kept on feeling that I was seeing more details in the episodes, particularly during the various fights.

The OAV is a tiny bit of a step down in visual quality, but it is essentially an extended shaggy-dog story set just before Genos joins Saitama so that doesn't matter much.

There are tons of odds and ends features on the discs that I'll have to go through more carefully – for example there are live action hand puppets of Saitama and Genos that introduce the voice actors. And the ending to the OAV has to been seen to be believed – the voice actor for Saitama sings one of those typical Japanese Summer Festival songs.

All-in-all, the first Blu-ray is definitely worth every Yen I spent on it. (And even more so because I got it at around a 30% discount from Amazon Japan.)

So with the English subtitles you've got no excuse now – go order the Blu-rays. The more of us who buy them the better the chance that we will see more of this series animated.

Thankyou, the industry need more people like you and more Blu-Ray with english subtitle. the japs should know that with proper subtitle and marketing, they could get more money from overseas import. From what i heard, it seems like right now, even with all the licensing and stuff, they could only get small pennies from overseas.
Dec 29, 2015 10:24 AM
May 2011
millo said:
Thankyou, the industry need more people like you and more Blu-Ray with english subtitle. the japs should know that with proper subtitle and marketing, they could get more money from overseas import. From what i heard, it seems like right now, even with all the licensing and stuff, they could only get small pennies from overseas.

Unlikely that the majority would spend the ridiculous amount of money they charge for anime. Especially when they can wait and the us version will be a fraction of the price.
Dec 29, 2015 11:04 AM

Nov 2008
Tylerr said:
millo said:

Unlikely that the majority would spend the ridiculous amount of money they charge for anime. Especially when they can wait and the us version will be a fraction of the price.

Do keep in mind, not everybody on the planet lives in the US... lol
Dec 29, 2015 1:29 PM
Nov 2015
Does anyone know if the OPM blu rays listed on amazon.jp have english subtitles? Unfortuantely they dont list that they do so i baught from CDjapan that charged me way more ]]]: rip
Dec 29, 2015 2:54 PM
May 2011
dbaranyi said:
Do keep in mind, not everybody on the planet lives in the US... lol

Well it would still be cheaper to import the blu-ray from the u.s than it would be to buy the japanese version.
Dec 29, 2015 3:04 PM

Nov 2008
SillySempai said:
Does anyone know if the OPM blu rays listed on amazon.jp have english subtitles? Unfortuantely they don't list that they do so i baught from CDjapan that charged me way more ]]]: rip

Yes they do - that's where I bought my copy.
Dec 30, 2015 6:35 AM
Mar 2014
While it's not impossible for an anime release to have terrible subs (the Mobile Suit Gundam complete collection edition is dubbed and still has terrible english subs that puts even DUWANG to shame), it's not really that common, especially as long as you make sure you're not getting some bootlegged copy dolled up to look like a real release.

Where as Monster's subs are great (I bought the entire series new for 5 bucks more (counting shipping) of what just the first volume would've cost dubbed, and is still incomplete despite the whole series being dubbed already on streaming services). Not only well translated, but even the font and coloring is easy to read no matter the scene.

And aside for the Gundam one, I haven't bought any releases with bad subs, though a couple of them could've had better font or color choices, which are fine, but every once in a while you'll get a scene where the subs are hard to see.
Jan 1, 2016 4:13 PM
Nov 2015
dbaranyi said:
SillySempai said:
Does anyone know if the OPM blu rays listed on amazon.jp have english subtitles? Unfortuantely they don't list that they do so i baught from CDjapan that charged me way more ]]]: rip
<br />
<br />
Yes they do - that&#039;s where I bought my copy.

Thanks dude il do that for next vol, i dont think the [amazon japan] edition is worth as its just an added Drama CD(no interest).

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2015

346 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Yesterday, 2:24 AM

» Live Action Movie gets new writers (Rick and Morty writer and creator)

OvergrownRover - Apr 14

1 by OvergrownRover »»
Apr 14, 4:07 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

986 by larryfirst »»
Mar 28, 5:27 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

337 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Mar 18, 12:48 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

791 by Jiborjas »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.