Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 25, 2015 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
Don't know about it?

If you heard about it:
-Which series is your favourite?
-Do you think it can compete with today's anime?
-Would you like to see something similar in the future? (probably won't happen)

My favourite ones are Nanatsu no Umi no Tico and Romeo no Aoi Sora. Even with their unique art style which most people think it's outdated, I think they can compete with today's anime especially when it comes to the storyline. I already answered my last question so what do you think?
removed-userDec 25, 2015 7:28 PM
Dec 25, 2015 7:10 PM

Jul 2012
I know what it is! Several MAL users have talked about various series from it.

I don't think I've seen any yet. But I'm looking forward to Romeo no Aoi Sora which my friend recommended.
Dec 25, 2015 7:10 PM

Oct 2014
It is wonderful. A lot of great Western stories are adapted quite beautifully in that collection. I would have to go back and check to see which one is my favorite, however.
Dec 25, 2015 7:19 PM

Mar 2015
none of them subbed in my native. suck being 3rd world.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 26, 2015 12:43 AM

Jan 2008
Selfhood said:
Which series is your favourite?
None. I'm not a fan.
Selfhood said:
Do you think it can compete with today's anime?
Not a chance. They weren't that popular 10 years ago, let alone now.
Selfhood said:
Would you like to see something similar in the future? (probably won't happen)
Not really.
Dec 26, 2015 12:54 AM

Oct 2008
DmonHiro said:
Selfhood said:
Which series is your favourite?
None. I'm not a fan.
Selfhood said:
Do you think it can compete with today's anime?
Selfhood said:
Would you like to see something similar in the future? (probably won't happen)
Not really.

Judging from your list you didn't even watch 1 series from the WMT program.

At least try harder when shitposting next time...
Dec 26, 2015 1:38 AM

Jan 2008
It's true that I've never watch a WMS more then for a few episode, but that's exactly why I said I'm not a fan. I know what they are, and what stories they adapt, I just don't like them. Why would I have something I don't like and never intend on watching in my list?
It's also fact that WMT is not very popular with anime watchers, but with casuals.
Also, since I'm not a fan I wouldn't like to see something similar in the future.

How exactly is answering honestly shitposing? Or is anything that does not agree with your opinion shitposting? Because if it's like that, you're going to have a bad time on forums.
Dec 26, 2015 2:34 AM

Aug 2015
I had watched some of those series many years ago, but it was few years before present that I realized they are all under the same roof (WMT). Yeah, with highschool life animated series still lurking around in the present state of anime, WMT is still viable in competition, in terms of storyline, but considering there are some older series that get remakes in the future... I don't know.

My favorites within the WMT are Anne of the Green Gables and Les Miserables, although I have yet to watch Romeo's Blue Skies (ranked #99) honestly. And yeah, I probably would not like to see something similar in the future... which reminded me of the two versions of Remi (Nobody's Boy [non-WMT] has no romantic resolution, while Nobody's Girl [WMT] has one).
Frankies_MonsterDec 26, 2015 2:39 AM

Dec 26, 2015 7:45 AM

Sep 2010
I believe the first one i saw was Yama Nezumi Rokkī Chakku. in my country most of WMT anime have been broadcasted in the public tv espcially during the late 80's and 90's.
my favorite is Haha o Tazunete Sanzen Ri, known in the ocidental world as 3000 leagues in search of mother.

you know it's hard to compare WMT anime with nowadays anime and how they would be received by the current anime community. many anime fans now prefer ecchi and and flashy visuals, having little to no regard to the actual plot development or story around the anime. that's why many people are turned off by oldschool anime and their old fashioned drawings/animations.

i wouldn't mind seeing more in the future, since i'm a sucker for old school stuff

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Dec 26, 2015 7:48 AM

Jun 2015
I've only watched Haha o Tazunete Sanzen Ri like 10 years ago and quite recently, Les Miserables. They're mainly meant to be children shows, but they're quite good and should be more publicized in my opinion.

As for now, I'm quite looking forward to watching Romeo no Aoi Sora and Akage no Anne.
Dec 26, 2015 9:01 AM

Nov 2013
I've watched two WMT series so far: Akage no Anne, which was an instant favorite, and Porfy no Nagai Tabi. I would actually recommend Porfy to those who are just starting out with WMT because it's one of the most recent WMT releases (2008) and has modern visuals. It also has some pretty darn gorgeous background art that rivals that of anime today.

Perrine Monogatari, Romeo Aoi Sora, Princess Sara, and Les Misérables are some of the other WMT anime I want to watch, if I ever get around to them.

I'd love to see more WMT adaptations in the future, though I fear they'll no longer be 40-50 episodes long like they used to be. While I don't know the reason, there's been a noticeable decrease in the episode count of WMT anime as the years have gone by; 50 episodes was the norm in the 70s, but it dropped to 40 in the early 90s. The mid 90s saw several series that were only 26 episodes long, the shortest yet. There's hope though because the latest "era" of WMT produced two 50-episode series and one 39-episode series.
Dec 26, 2015 9:39 AM

Apr 2011
I've been wanting to watch them ever since I learned of it's existence because of Shirobako. Unfortunately, I am yet to find a proper encoded version of it, so I haven't watched it yet. Maybe I should just stream it from KissAnime instead.
Dec 26, 2015 10:25 AM

Feb 2015
Most of the WMT shows are dubbed in my native language, but the only one I actually watched back then was Heidi and I hated it :c I really want to try out some other WMTs though.

Edit: I also watched Moomins and Peter Pan back then. Good stuff ^^
AshitaNoJonasDec 26, 2015 10:33 AM
Dec 26, 2015 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
Retroalwayswins said:
They are all very boring and too light hearted and naive with their view on life.

Light hearted? lol. I mean, yeah some of them are light hearted sometimes, but it's the opposite, more often than not.
Dec 26, 2015 11:24 AM

Feb 2010
Aria-da-Capo said:
Retroalwayswins said:
They are all very boring and too light hearted and naive with their view on life.

Light hearted? lol. I mean, yeah some of them are light hearted sometimes, but it's the opposite, more often than not.

Yeah they're usually not lighthearted and naive at all, and if they are then it's just part of the character development at the beginning of the series. At least the ones I've seen were pretty realistic in their outlook and had a bunch of depressing parts.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 26, 2015 2:14 PM

Jun 2013
Mayuka said:
I don't think I've seen any yet. But I'm looking forward to Romeo no Aoi Sora which my friend recommended.

That's what I'm currently watching. It's pretty good.
sedmelluqDec 26, 2015 2:14 PM
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Dec 26, 2015 3:09 PM

Jan 2014
I've watched Heidi and Ashinaga Ojisan a long time ago. Didn't even remember to add them to my list until now :))
Dec 26, 2015 4:03 PM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
I've been wanting to watch them ever since I learned of it's existence because of Shirobako. Unfortunately, I am yet to find a proper encoded version of it, so I haven't watched it yet. Maybe I should just stream it from KissAnime instead.
Some of the small encode sites I use have released a few of them!
Dec 27, 2015 2:04 AM

May 2013
Tien said:

I'd love to see more WMT adaptations in the future, though I fear they'll no longer be 40-50 episodes long like they used to be. While I don't know the reason, there's been a noticeable decrease in the episode count of WMT anime as the years have gone by; 50 episodes was the norm in the 70s, but it dropped to 40 in the early 90s. The mid 90s saw several series that were only 26 episodes long, the shortest yet. There's hope though because the latest "era" of WMT produced two 50-episode series and one 39-episode series.

That's because of the television channel taking WMT's timeslot to air shit like sumo and baseball matches.

Lassie got cut short while Remi was indeed planned to be a mere 26-episode anime because of the low ratings (for a primetime anime). Romeo only got like 10% on average while Lassie and Remi were below that. WMT was only considered a success if the ratings were at least 15%.
Oct 19, 2016 12:33 PM

Jun 2016
WMT is among the best thing anime ever has given to us ,it's insanely popular in my country,i used to watch these animes when i was a kid,what i like about it is that it lacks many anime cliches,the character development is nicely done,there are many sad moments and the most important thing is that some of the main characters actually die.
my favourite are romeo blue sky,princess sara,remi nobody's girl and little women.

PS:i would put les miserables if the main focus was on valjean instead of cosette.
Oct 20, 2016 12:54 AM

Aug 2014
Akage no Anne: Masterpiece, i love the "True slice of life" feeling, character development and those little details.

Ie Naki Ko - Dezaki version (This is NOT a WMT): This is my favorite anime, dramatic and beautifully directed. A path of smiles and tears.

Ie Naki Ko Remi - Is not THAT good but still nice and different.

Flanders no Inu (TV and movie): oh boy... i can't say anything without spoilers but oh boy... the only problem is that it is very slow.

Perrine Monogatari: I love the second half.

Trapp Ikka Monogatari: Based on a true story is a masterpiece. A heartwarming slice of life full of likeable characters.

Les Miserables: Quite different from other works but I LOVE IT.

DmonHiro said:

It's also fact that WMT is not very popular with anime watchers, but with casuals.

But that's wrong, WMT isnt popular with "casual" Anime Watchers because isn't a fighting shounen/harem/insert popular genre. Got a lot of popularity with hardcore anime watchers trying to learn the anime history... you know for example Tezuka, Dezaki, Ghibli, Matsumoto, Go or Isao works.

Indeed, the modern anime fan (without generalizing) prefer other genres and stories.
Oct 20, 2016 1:29 AM

Mar 2015
kofmaster said:
DmonHiro said:

But that's wrong, WMT isnt popular with "casual" Anime Watchers because isn't a fighting shounen/harem/insert popular genre..

ignorancies have no bound.. huh?
bigivelfhq said:
TV rankings July 25 - 31

---Series---
12.7 - Sazae-san
*9.4 - Crayon Shin-chan
*8.9 - Doraemon
*8.2 - Chibi Maruko-chan
*7.9 - One Piece
*6.9 - Detective Conan
*6.6 - Dragon Ball Super
*4.4 - Ace Attorney
*4.2 - Youkai Watch
*3.0 - Curious George

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1361735&show=400#msg47244395
the only one that fit with your generalization is one piece and dragon ball super...

i don't know much about WMT TV rangkings thou... i hope bigivelfhq have answer... heidi is pretty popular back then IIRC thou...

kofmaster said:
Indeed, the modern anime fan (without generalizing) prefer other genres and stories.
as you can see list above, NO.. in fact, most of them has same genre...
KumaOct 20, 2016 1:33 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 20, 2016 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
Ah yes, I was just thinking about how I'd love to watch another one before the end of the year. Romeo no Aoi Sora and Flanders no Inu are definitely ones that got me good. My favorite has got to be Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette. In general it has some of the most positive and powerful themes I've seen out of hundreds of anime. Very life changing, it made me realize the importance of charity and good will.

Shoujo Cosette is fairly modern as far as WMT goes, but I would like to see more from the 21st century. I don't think they'll ever compete in terms of popularity or production quality, but they often have a charm that's just not seen in most of what comes out these days. Not to join the choir of the old guard of course, just that there's a unique simplicity and novelty that just doesn't come across anywhere else.
Oct 20, 2016 8:49 AM

Aug 2014
Kuma said:

Dude read my post again... i wrote "insert popular genre", those "fighting shounen and harems" were just examples... and Slice of Life Kodomo using static characters are pretty popular in japan.
kofmasterOct 20, 2016 10:10 AM
Oct 20, 2016 9:35 AM

Feb 2010
galimx said:
Pullman said:

Yeah they're usually not lighthearted and naive at all, and if they are then it's just part of the character development at the beginning of the series. At least the ones I've seen were pretty realistic in their outlook and had a bunch of depressing parts.

Ie Naki Ko for example. If this show is lighthearted and naive then I dunno. Its one of the most realistic and well done drama and tragedy. It slowly tears your heart apart. It teaches you so much and shows you so much. And the direction from Osamu Dezaki works so well with it.

At the moment I am watching Romeo no Aoi Sora. There are a lot of similarities with Ie Naki Ko, but its not such a tragic story (for now). Still, the storytelling and character development is so well done. And everything is just normal and feels normal, not like anime nowadays when most of them look way to same and superficial. To bad they aren't making anymore anime like WMT ones. Erin comes close to it. A dying breed :(

Ie Naki Ko is not WMT tho, at least not the Dezaki version. I also used to think it is but only the genderbent version of Ie Naki Ko is an actual WMT show.

But Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette is WMT and nobody can tell me this show is too lighthearted or naive, it is heartwrecking, tragic and has less uplifting moments than even Ie Naki Ko (which is also very tragic but overall more balanced between good and bad times).

Kuma said:
kofmaster said:

But that's wrong, WMT isnt popular with "casual" Anime Watchers because isn't a fighting shounen/harem/insert popular genre..

bigivelfhq said:
TV rankings July 25 - 31

---Series---
12.7 - Sazae-san
*9.4 - Crayon Shin-chan
*8.9 - Doraemon
*8.2 - Chibi Maruko-chan
*7.9 - One Piece
*6.9 - Detective Conan
*6.6 - Dragon Ball Super
*4.4 - Ace Attorney
*4.2 - Youkai Watch
*3.0 - Curious George

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1361735&show=400#msg47244395
the only one that fit with your generalization is one piece and dragon ball super...

i don't know much about WMT TV rangkings thou... i hope bigivelfhq have answer... heidi is pretty popular back then IIRC thou...

kofmaster said:

don't go all date on us, everybody here knows that when people talk about anime fans or casuals or whatever they don't mean japanese TV ratings but this western community MAL is a part of. And I don't think any of the WMT shows is even close to being called popular in that context.
AlcoholicideOct 20, 2016 10:01 AM
Oct 20, 2016 4:55 PM

Mar 2015
Pullman said:
Kuma said:

don't go all date on us, everybody here knows that when people talk about anime fans or casuals or whatever they don't mean japanese TV ratings but this western community MAL is a part of. And I don't think any of the WMT shows is even close to being called popular in that context.

isn't WMT was big thing on europe? i remember most of them are eropean release ripp-off back than...
kofmaster said:
Kuma said:

Dude read my post again... i wrote "insert popular genre", those "fighting shounen and harems" were just examples... and Slice of Life Kodomo using static characters are pretty popular in japan.
and wmt is not?also most of them intended to be long run, when WMT is not... expecting them to have same treatement is radiculous...
Oct 20, 2016 5:51 PM

Feb 2010
Kuma said:
Pullman said:

isn't WMT was big thing on europe? i remember most of them are eropean release ripp-off back than...
kofmaster said:

and wmt is not?also most of them intended to be long run, when WMT is not... expecting them to have same treatement is radiculous...

It was but that was 20+ years ago, it hardly counts as modern day anime fans. It was stuff kids used to watch on TV in the 70s 80s and early 90s.
Oct 20, 2016 5:53 PM

Feb 2015
Oct 20, 2016 6:21 PM

Mar 2015
Pullman said:
Kuma said:

It was but that was 20+ years ago, it hardly counts as modern day anime fans. It was stuff kids used to watch on TV in the 70s 80s and early 90s.
it's mean they are does mainstream at least before.. modern days fans of course prefer modern days anime because it does caters toward them, acostumized with the current trends and with overwhielming supperiority in external aspects...
Oct 20, 2016 6:54 PM

Feb 2010
I honestly don't get the point @Kuma is trying to make here. I don't mean this in a despective way, by the way. I'm really curious about it.

I will say though that while Sazae-san is THE most watched anime, THE longest anime and THE thing all japanese childs in the last 50 years or so has seen, it's something that barely anyone from America, Europe, Australia, Africa and most parts of Asia has seen, and that alone makes japanese TV ratings kinda irrelevant here.

The WMT was relatively popular (and just relatively popular, not a big thing) in some parts of Europe and in latinamerica. This was at a time when "anime" was not even a known word for people outside of Japan (you know, no internet) and as such, they were just some TV shows. The big things at those times were Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Disney films... I don't know, stuff like that. Stuff that wasn't anime, but like I said, we didn't really have such a distinction back then.

Also, while it was never as big as Sazae-san, Doraemon or stuff like that, the WMT was indeed an important part in japanese animation. Flanders no Inu is considered a classic anime there that most people have heard of, at the very least, though it's not the anime the new generations are watching. Flanders did impact a lot of people though, to the point that one of the most common tourists in Belgium are japanese, and a lot of them actually go the place that inspired the town where the main characters live. There's also a statue of Nello and Patrasche there that went out of the way to have its inscription in japanese also because of the amount of japanese visitors (and Japan kinda revived Dog of Flanders, which was a mostly forgotten story). Like I say this about Flanders, it can also be said about Heidi and other WMT stuff.

But that's not the case today. Things have changed, and the very WMT is the living proof of it. While it was something important and with success in the 70s and 80s, it began having trouble in the 90s to the point it just had to stop after many years running, and when they actually tried to revive it in the lat 00s, it certainly didn't go that well as the effort didn't last long. They tried with one of the biggest literature classics in Les Misèrables (an anime I personally love) and in the end they tried going back to their roots with the prologue story of the huge WMT classic Akage no Anne, which also probably didn't work as planned.

As of today, most anime fans probably don't even know about the existance of most WMT titles (Heidi might be the one exception... though probably most younger fans haven't seen it), and what we can consider "classics" here are not things like Doraemon or Sazae-san. Classics here are probably, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Detective Conan, Cowboy Bebop, Slam Dunk.... and even more, soon we'll be probably talking about things like Death Note as classics.

In Japan though? That's obviously a different story. Anime is much more rooted into society. They're a completely different kind of anime that put different situations in each episode, with no kind of progress at all. Those are timeless where you don't need to watch from episode 1... just like Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry or The Simpsons, so to speak.

Anyways, I'm just writing stuff here because... why not. I'm really not getting the discussion here.

Oh, and I love the WMT.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Oct 20, 2016 7:31 PM

Mar 2015
@Akai_Shuichi my point is as simple that saying WMT does popular back than and reason why it not popular this days is not because it genre, or anime fans taste... because wmt genre infact does still popular.. it simply just getting old with all of it disadventage... you even proving my point even further

i don't understand why people looking too deep in my post... i don't even have hold grudge againts WMT... i just see ignorancies and want to clarify it.. maybe i am bad at explaning... sorry..
KumaOct 20, 2016 7:35 PM
Oct 20, 2016 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
Kuma said:

i don't understand why people looking too deep in my post... i don't even have hold grudge againts WMT... i just see ignorancies and want to clarify it.. maybe i am bad at explaning... sorry..

Because you're being despective calling other ignorants, It was not my intention to start a discussion, sorry about that, since English isn't my native languaje I'm no good trying to explain my point.

About the differences I see between popular Kodomos and WMT stuff...

But well, my point is... the low current popularity is due to generational change. there isn't so much interest in these stories as before.
kofmasterOct 20, 2016 10:18 PM
Oct 20, 2016 10:40 PM

Mar 2015
kofmaster said:
Kuma said:

Because you're being despective calling other ignorants, It was not my intention to start a discussion, sorry about that, since English isn't my native languaje I'm no good trying to explain my point.

i am not my native either.. i don't even being despective.. i just surprised how people can make such conclusion... that's looks ignorance for me (or, should i said stupidity? i tough it's already less insulting, and i try it)...

kofmaster said:

Yeah both are Slice of Life Kodomos but a different type of Kodomo... popular kids shows in Japan just like Sazae San or Doraemon are episodic stories with characters that don't change, this is in that way because you can watch any episode without following an order and can be extended infinitely with new adventures.

WTM are long but these stories have a beginning and conclusion. This includes character developme

if we are looking at what currently normal aired time (mean targetted to common masse, unlike those late night shows), they are still does have everything about this.. of course episodic long-run is what take the most atention because exactly your reasons and how much their influence already, but it doesn't stop another kind of shows still exist... i mean i got chii's sweet home which is has continuity, and stuff like ace attorney, yu-gi-oh, duel master, shounen asibe, time boukan ETC... i would admit that less contrast overreaching plot continuity like WMT series... but it was never being the one that popular story telling since before.. it's always been like this for anime.. manga in the other hand...

kofmaster said:
But well, my point is... the low current popularity is due to generational change.
yes, age disadventage
kofmaster said:
there isn't so much interest in these stories as before.
NO, i don't know exactly reason thou... WMT revived just lately but look it was not succesful... the interest about such story telling is still there, the WMT it self is the one that got downhill.

More topics from this board

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

14 by Ohayotaku »»
3 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 2 hours ago

17 by Yorda_trico »»
6 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

970 by Dragonrogue »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - 10 hours ago

38 by LostSpectre »»
18 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

47 by bubba460z »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.