Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 20, 2019 4:09 AM

Jan 2018
What an amazing series. Erin is easily the greatest female protagonist of all time, and one of the most well-developed characters I've ever seen, in or outside of the anime medium. I'm so glad she got the happy ending she deserved, especially after a lifetime of hardship and loss. It's not often that an anime tells a story of growth spanning many years as this series did, but Kemono Soujo no Erin did that brilliantly.

This series is a true gem, and easily one of the best I've ever seen. Solid 9/10 (the only issues holding me back from giving a 10 are Nukku and Mokku, some art/keyframe related complaints, as well as a few qualms with the more "intense" soundtrack pieces; the story itself was airtight and near-perfection).

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 30, 2019 5:10 AM

Oct 2012
Why tho?
Erin did nothing wrong, in fact she's trying to save
Instead she got an arrow from behind
I feel like Lilan just deepened the arrow wound :P

The Duke died, finally!

I hate the ending, at the same time love it
It's clear enough, like Ial and Erin got married and have a child, Kiriku is alive as a better person, the country is in peace
But a lot of missing, I guess they're alive but not that important

Very enjoyable journey, a lot of rollercoaster drama
I love this anime, I don't want it to end :(

Also this anime is very misleading if it's being marketed toward children
They'll be scared for life.. kinda xD
Especially the massacre scenes

I wonder what Nukku and Mokku are doing right now
I love them, though many people hate them
Rayl1ghtMay 30, 2019 5:15 AM
"Signature removed"
Jun 21, 2019 1:01 PM
Dec 2014
We anime fans are as unworthy swine for this show as Damiya was of Erin.
Nov 9, 2019 8:48 AM

Oct 2015
Soyon's words of wanting Erin to live, really motivated her to not give up. But more importantly I liked how Lilan was able to save her from that congregation of Touda. I guess there was no love lost between those two. It seems like Shunan and Seimiya have married and decided to unite their nation, which was a good thing BTW! Damiya died pathetically, I was actually disappointed by his ending.

Although I'm happy for Erin, who seemed to have married and had a child. Jessie was so adorable, I wonder what happened to the father, which of course must be Ial? That was a good happy ending. She lived by her mother's words to the end, her living with her beasts and isolating herself to all the politics and wars cultivated by humans, was actually nice. Wonder what happened to Esal and other students? But nonetheless I'm also glad Kiriku got to live too.

Overall it was a good watch. Animation was stable, but faltered in some instances, but it still was a good watch. The characters were all lovely, the plot was easy to follow and full of some suspense. The characters were developed well. But it tends to stuck on story points too long, which made it frustrating at some points. Music was unstable AF.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 19, 2020 7:24 AM

Feb 2014
WOW

Okay ngl pretty confused about how Erin was able to survive an arrow to the heart, even if it is the back of her chest...I really wish they didn't show that at the end of the last “next time on Beast Player Erin” :/ I was clapping when Ial sliced Daimiya in half lmao THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR FOR SO LONG

This show was so good, an easy 8-10/10. I think the recap episodes were a bit quickly placed, and I understand why everyone complains about all the flashbacks (though tbh I didn't mind them at all). I'm still curious about parts of the story (take me to Ephon Noha plz also WHAT WAS THAT SMELL WHEN THE KIBA DIED), but I feel closure and satisfaction from the ending. The drama and plot developments were well done, and I felt very invested in the show. Even when the pacing was on the slow side, or during the more slice-of-life kind of moments, I still felt engaged, not bored, wanting to know more about, like “this is a good story being told.” I wish that a little bit more had been explored in the Grand Duke and Queen's quarters and what they were doing (such as learning more about the war and more about the queen herself and how she ruled), especially since with 50 episodes and somewhat slow pacing, I feel like those are things they could've explored more, but I also feel like they were explored enough to not feel out of place in the story. But despite what more I wish the story brought, I'm very satisfied with it and very happy I wasted it. I really think it's a beautiful story! :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2020 9:33 PM
Aug 2008
Wow, just wow. What a lovely anime. One of the best in the last couple of years that I've watched. Not sure how I never heard of it. I just saw it as a recommendation after finishing "Fantastic Children" then watched it! Erin character is the best female character I've ever seen and I'm not that person that likes the main characters. But this one is fantastic.
May 21, 2020 10:26 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wow the last episode gave me so many heart attacks. 😤

I’m so glad that Erin’s okay and she’s with Ial! I don’t mind her getting married. She CHOSE to get married and I think it’s great that she passes down her love And knowledge of beasts.

Also great observation with Lilan using the same fangs that bit Erin to carry her to safety.

I wish the ending showed everyone, but I am very satisfied with this show. I don’t think I will see another good and unique one like this for a while.
Feb 4, 2021 5:53 PM

Jan 2021
I loved this anime. It’s been a while since I seen it. One of the best anime’s I seen other then my other favorites.10/10
Feb 8, 2021 5:16 AM

Apr 2016
Lots of potentials that got nuked in just 2 episodes 😂. For an anime with 50 fucking episodes, they sure got no idea how to optimize this fantastic world-building with a sizable cast in hand. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it a lot, but at the same time it pissed me off almost equally.

The entire conflict being resolved in less than 2 episodes ON TOP of a time skip after that is just downright an insult to what this show has built up in the previous events. What's more, they have time for a filler episode featuring pointless characters like the two brothers but none for Ial and Erin at the aftermath? Holy crap, I'm just simply at a loss for a word 😂.

But even if I ignore the horrid pacing at the endgame, some of the plot points didn't sit well with me either. The worst part to me is how they kept baiting us into killing off some of the characters but they all lived in the end anyway except for the cringe villain whose death was also pretty badly handled in all honesty.

Can't say I'm a fan of how the Touda not escaping the fate of being fodders either. Beast-Lords are cool but I wish the Touda had a bigger part to play. Given how both creatures are featured on the transitioning picture of the anime (OP and 2nd half of each episode), I think the Touda were treated a bit unfairly.

Apart from that, I can't say I enjoy Erin's ideology either. I mean I understand and can appreciate her 'breaking the wheel' but the cost of heading toward that path is quite substantial as the story progressed. But oh well not like it matters in a work of fiction and I just feel a bit annoyed by that but that's about it, she's still the most fleshed out and best character for sure if I ignore the whole final act kek, and it sure as hell is refreshing to see an anime that follows a character through childhood to being a fully grown person and having kid whew.

Technically-wise it's pretty solid. Sound and music might not be top-tier (at least to me) but they know how to make full use of them to further highlight certain major turning point of the story (like at the flashback of the legend of Empress Je), which is a good thing. The style and character design, in general, are not too special but at least it is very consistent throughout the ride, especially the animation.

One minor complaint tho, the background art might look good as a standalone element but there were a few times it didn't go well with the character on the screen. I think it fits the style of a flashback or narrating lore more than serving the progression of the story.

Directing is on-point for the most part, the last 2 episodes might be terrible but the rest were good to me. My personal highlight is probably when Ial and Erin were being (literally) sniped by Kirik and the whole sequence played out very smoothly and full of interesting revelation.

Overall this anime was a good watch. It's a shame that it could have been even better if they had spent more effort on the whole final conflict.
CzeroCFeb 8, 2021 5:35 AM
Feb 14, 2021 2:39 PM

Feb 2020
And it's over. Wow, that was a wonderful adventure. I really was unsure about this show when I started it, but it really proved itself to be worth the watch and dealt with most of the flaws I noticed (which turned out not being flaws by the end).
Erin herself is a beautiful character, very different from how I imagined her. It was great to see her grow from a naive and idealistic little girl to a mature young woman who aknowledges her flaws and makes mistakes no one thought she would have done but still remains true to herself. Truly a great and fascinating character, I never thought I would've said that at first but she made it to my favorites. I'm really glad to add her to my relatively small but precious collection !
And the other characters, while pretty classic, were very good too. I especially loved our good ol'Jone (rip), but I liked pretty much everyone, they all played their role very nicely. Ial, Kirik (HE'S ALIVE ! HE'S ALIIIVE !) and Damiya (who's still a real jerk) were particularly interesting characters, I really liked following them. Seimiya also turned out being a surprisingly good character. Well, actually, as I said almost everyone is. And even if they annoyed me, I can't even say I disliked Nukku and Moku. They really grew on me (not to mention they actually prevented Erin from taking her own life !).
And let's not forget Lilan, our precious Oojuu. I loved what they did with her, and I'm glad her bond with Erin hasn't been completely destroyed.
And for the rest, between the story, the messages, the music, the direction that conveyed the emotions so well... There are so many things done right.

But there are still some things that prevent me from giving it more than 8. A lot of little things, such as the flashbacks, the comedy sometimes ruining the mood, the very slow pacing and the kinda rushed ending that lacks a closure for some characters... It kinda ruined a little of my enjoyment and it's too bad.
But it was still a beautiful show ! And it's hard to leave it. To complete a show you felt so invested in always feels a bit weird.

And one last little thing : who did Erin marry ? Ial ? Tomura ? Someone else ? Who is it ????

Edit : I just checked out some spoilers about the novel's ending. My heart. That's all I'm gonna say in order not to spoil. My heart.
FafetteFeb 14, 2021 2:47 PM
Apr 5, 2021 7:46 AM

Jul 2016
Fafette said:

Edit : I just checked out some spoilers about the novel's ending. My heart. That's all I'm gonna say in order not to spoil. My heart.

hahaha, i don't know why, but i totally relate to this statement when you don't want to spoil anything for anybody else yet you're itching to just shout out how you feel about the ending.
May 28, 2021 6:08 PM

Apr 2017
i love this show but it does have issues, the main one was the pace was horrible. lot's of flashbacks, repeated scenes which lengthened the show and then the abrupt epilogue was so out of place to the slow theme of the show, it was jarring. if it was paced better and had a more conclusive epilogue, this show would be a 10/10 but 9/10 is still pretty good.
Jul 8, 2021 11:04 PM
Jun 2021
i likee this anime a lott, the main character development and a lil bit of rom it's just perfectt for me
Oct 5, 2021 11:21 AM

Jun 2016
this series is amazing !!

every episode of this anime very well develop !!!

pure hidden gem !!

i thought this only for kids
Mar 14, 2022 7:42 PM

Jan 2010
Fantasy stories without magic greatly interest me. They're one step removed from our reality, possessing elements of the supernatural while still obeying rules that govern our reality. Kemono no Souja Erin is one of these stories. There is no magic, but instead a deep understanding of fantasy creatures that, when misunderstood, could be construed as magic. Erin does not have any special ability in controlling or taming beast-lords. Instead, she just happened to figure out how to communicate with them through understanding their behaviors, empathizing with their feelings, and constantly trying to find alternative ways to co-exist, even if it means coming into conflict first.

Lilan has her size, teeth, and claws, while Erin has her harp and mute whistle. Both possess weapons that could subdue the other easily, but both are still fond of one another. While Lilan trusts Erin enough to stay calm around her, Lilan's also capable of understanding that Erin is not entirely a threat, yet could become one. Erin, at this point, has the same opinion of Lilan, continuing to stay friendly, but not without her whistle in hand. It's not enough to just come to an understanding, but to achieve mutual respect and and make active efforts to recognize each other's wants and needs.

Perhaps the same could be said of the Queen's court and the Grand Duke's court. Both wish to an end to war, but those in power, fighting for control of one another, have other designs. In the past, I would have scoffed at the idea of singular individuals, regardless of how much political influence they wielded, to cause this much damage, but nowadays, I can believe it, unfortunate as it is. However, the removal of Damiya doesn't automatically fix all the problems in the country. It's certainly a step in the right direction, but it'll take continual effort between Seimiya, who now understand the weight of her crown, and Shunan, who now understand the weight of his weapons.

We're not exposed to the life of civilians in Kemono no Souja Erin, so we don't really see how the Queen's people view the Grand Duke's people very much, and vice versa. We're more so told of their opinions, so it's unknown how they managed to coalesce. Additionally, Damiya didn't act alone, so it's also unknown as to what happened to all the other usurpers, which includes Nugan. There's also not much known about how Nason and the Mist People viewed these incidents. Nason mentioned that Erin's crimes were punishable by death, and Nason apparently bore witness to all of Erin's actions since she was a child. Yet, as Erin mentioned, all Nason does is spectate despite Erin coming incredibly close to inciting a bloodbath, so what influence do the Mist People even have?

Kemono no Souja Erin is an anime with a grand scope; the show addresses the treatment of animals under human ownership, the use of symbols as a political force, the relationship between the ruling and military branches of a country, the role of education for children, the barriers women face in patriarchal societies, the gap between social castes, and particularly the relationship between humans and nature. In some areas, the show excelled, while in others, the issues were abridged to simply raise that particular point to get Erin and the viewers thinking on their feet. In many ways, this anime reminds me of Rose of Versailles, where a young girl is thrown into the political turmoil of a country breaking from within. Perhaps that's the best compliment I could give Kemono no Souja Erin: it's up there with some of the best stories I've seen about how much power individuals could possess, or lack, in trying to change a country for the better.

For what it's worth, seeing Erin come full circle in having her own child hit me pretty hard. This is one hell of an anime.
Oct 26, 2022 11:01 AM
Oct 2022
ial can be the father because jessie couldve gotten the genes from erin for the hair and eyes cuz her father had dark hair and eyes. IAL IS THE FATHER, THAT IS WHAT I BELIEVEEEEE!!!!1!
Dec 26, 2022 3:47 AM

Aug 2008
I feel that this anime could have been so much better.  One of my biggest issues is the constant repetitive animation in flashbacks.  I understand the show was trying to be emotional by having the characters remember their past but the fact that the anime went cheap and recycled the same scenes over and over and over just left me flat.  Found myself constantly needing to skip forward to avoid this and get to new content.  The stylized art of the beast-lords attacking Touda was interesting the first time but then like the flashbacks were just recycled and I just can't give points for that.  Plus the show was dragging things out with the music, long pauses in dialogue and simple tasks to extend the runtime.  The anime is quiet enough in its content without artificially extending it even further.

With the characters I was often feeling more frustrated than engaged as so many were so reserved that I had a hard time caring about them.  Erin and Soyon at the beginning for instance, Soyon had so much angst and the show so insistent on communicating sadness that I couldn't care about her fate as she seemed to be the walking dead the entire time anyway.  Erin and her adoptive father was better as the man had laughter in him and I liked him in spite of the juvenile fart humor.  Everyone else was so stiff in their relations with Erin from her friends, classmates, teachers and with Ial the forced love interest.  Not enough interaction between those two, talked twice over 10 yrs or something and supposed to be enough for an emotional connection when the final act comes around and it simply wasn't.  Ial and his mentor and other guards?  Nope.  The royal family?  Grand Duke's family? Nope, felt nothing for them.  Of course for me the biggest sin were the two characters that irritated me every time they appeared, that stupid "comedy" duo who followed Erin everywhere she went.  The two that I had the most response two was one of annoyance, which is a shame on this show.  Erin herself after all took after her mother too much with that cloud of doom hanging over her every moment.

The story itself had great potential if it was told better.  Erin learning the world around her was slow sure but I was feeling interested at her wonder at every new thing she learned, about Touda, bees and plants and then the beast-lords which will be her entire life.  However there is also the "codes" that are meant to be followed to prevent the disaster from three centuries before from happening again.  The growing conflict between the Queen and the Grand Duke's people.  Between the Duke's sons.  The Mist People.  None of this really comes together for me as a coherent whole.  The Mist People for one I was expecting to be a minor threat for Erin but they remain stubbornly in the background never to really matter in the overall narrative.  There is the one stalker who follows Erin but all he does is dump the exposition on her about the tragedy of before and nothing else, felt entirely wasted.  The sons of the Duke never really get a resolution to their split, the show ends without actually dealing with it.  Same with the split between Queen and Duke quarters, the Queen's people see them as violent ruffians and the Duke's see them as ungrateful wastrels.  No conclusion.  How is the new Queen marrying one of the sons to "learn the reality" if she intends to rule exactly the same as her grandmother did?  I see nothing to indicate any change.  Nor a change in how Touda and Beast-Lords are treated.  Erin might have escaped punishments for not following the rules of raising Beast-Lords but no real resolution is at hand for any of the issues at hand.

Anime gave me one last hit of annoyance by giving us one final scene with Erin with a son.  I assume he is from Erin and Ial but the man doesn't even get an appearance so who knows really.  Just makes me think that their relationship was completely surface level though.

Going to give this anime a 6/10, there were great ideas here but I don't think the execution was done well.  The final episodes after that second recap (35-50 or so) especially could have really grabbed me if the narrative as a whole had been held together better.  I saw an earlier post that said that only half of the source material was adapted and could be part of the problem but what the anime has given me is what I have to work with and that is what feels like a messy and incomplete story that doesn't know how to give proper emotional weight to its characters.  Don't see this getting a rewatch sadly.
Apr 2, 2023 12:01 AM

Nov 2021
This was an amazing anime! Aspects like OSTs, storytelling & character writing were well done.
This anime had a lighthearted way of storytelling and dealt with dark themes aptly too.
I'm satisfied by the ending, it was perfect.
Sep 9, 2023 2:29 PM

Apr 2019
It's a really a good anime, even though it has a lot of problems like flashbacks and repeated animation, as well as not exploring the war that was taking place, but as the focus was on Erin, you can understand a little why. Erin is truly a lovely and wonderful character, she is one of the biggest reasons that captivates everyone who has completed this anime.

When it comes to the ending, it was also good and well closed.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.