Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 23, 2015 11:46 AM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
Userman said:

I also wouldn't say that opm is always funny and sometime it feels like the joke is very forced but these thing always happen in every comedy anime(that i have watched- gintama included).You can't get always humor and when you try very hard you have the opposite effect(like some post on 9gaj).
The last sentence is your personal opinion so i won't say anything but for me this is anime is awesome(also for the awesome fight) and also very orginal. I mean you can see in other anime many op character maybe op like saitama but there is always something bad. For example their personality can be s$$t or maybe they are afraid of using their power because of s**t explanation in the anime or because they are stupid and can't do a common thinking. And if it is a villian somehow the mc at last is able to defeat him(and you ask something like how?). Here we have a simple but intelligent(this is my opinion : i think that he lifted the moon rock to calculate the gravity of the moon to balance his power to land exactly in the spaceship without destroying the moon.) character and also virtuous character that is not arrogant at all but have got anyway a strong personality. I don't know why you all say it is repetitive because in each episode we see something new. Of course at last saitama is going to one punch that is why the name of the anime One punch man.

The problem here unlike other comedy anime, OPM doesn't have variety in it's comedy. It's always the same style and the same punch line (pun fully intended). So if you get tired by the humor by the 3rd or so episode that means the rest of the episodes will also have forced and terrible humor for you.

Actually the last sentence is the one part where it's not my personal opinion. It's a fact that OPM has a lot of memes, and that's entirely due to the style of humor of the show. It resembles internet meme humor in many ways.

See, here is where I get puzzled. Your praise seems to be mainly for treating parody elements serious. You actually like that Saitama defeats all his enemies, you actually like that Saitama is insanely OP, and not just because it's parody. It looks really contradicting to me. Like someone liking Medaka being overpowered to asinine levels, which is not supposed to be the case or intention but I guess Medaka Box is more complex for a comparison to OPM. In my case I dislike both the parody and when it takes itself seriously. So whether I'm critical about it or just mindlessly watching it, I can't enjoy it either way.

Repetitive doesn't mean that there literally no new stuff. It entails there is a specific key element that is constantly being repeated and used as a major plot point, which is the case for OPM, where it's premise is literally him one punching enemies. It's always about his one punch. I mean the most creative the show could get with it is ''Gasp! instead of one punch, he defeated someone with more than one punch!!'' ''Holy shit how creative, it's totally not the same thing anymore''

For me OPM has poor foundation and a gimmick concept that loses it's novelty fairly quickly. It's almost like what's the point, what can the show even offer if even both it's serious and non-serious aspects are mediocre in execution and limited.

- OPM is not a full parody because it actually pulls off some straight shonen cliches when the needs for such thing arise

- comedy isn't only reduced to the One punch moments, you are oversimplifying; a good example is episode 6 when Saitama tricks Genos in believing his BS

- many times the key moment isn't the one punch as you should have know from episode 9

- For you maybe the concept turned out to be repetitive and not fresh but if it was objectively like that, the poorly drawn hobby webcomic would have not become popular, would have not gained a manga remake and would have not gained an anime adaptation
Dec 23, 2015 1:59 PM
Dec 2015
tsudecimo said:
Userman said:

I also wouldn't say that opm is always funny and sometime it feels like the joke is very forced but these thing always happen in every comedy anime(that i have watched- gintama included).You can't get always humor and when you try very hard you have the opposite effect(like some post on 9gaj).
The last sentence is your personal opinion so i won't say anything but for me this is anime is awesome(also for the awesome fight) and also very orginal. I mean you can see in other anime many op character maybe op like saitama but there is always something bad. For example their personality can be s$$t or maybe they are afraid of using their power because of s**t explanation in the anime or because they are stupid and can't do a common thinking. And if it is a villian somehow the mc at last is able to defeat him(and you ask something like how?). Here we have a simple but intelligent(this is my opinion : i think that he lifted the moon rock to calculate the gravity of the moon to balance his power to land exactly in the spaceship without destroying the moon.) character and also virtuous character that is not arrogant at all but have got anyway a strong personality. I don't know why you all say it is repetitive because in each episode we see something new. Of course at last saitama is going to one punch that is why the name of the anime One punch man.

The problem here unlike other comedy anime, OPM doesn't have variety in it's comedy. It's always the same style and the same punch line (pun fully intended). So if you get tired by the humor by the 3rd or so episode that means the rest of the episodes will also have forced and terrible humor for you.

Actually the last sentence is the one part where it's not my personal opinion. It's a fact that OPM has a lot of memes, and that's entirely due to the style of humor of the show. It resembles internet meme humor in many ways.

See, here is where I get puzzled. Your praise seems to be mainly for treating parody elements serious. You actually like that Saitama defeats all his enemies, you actually like that Saitama is insanely OP, and not just because it's parody. It looks really contradicting to me. Like someone liking Medaka being overpowered to asinine levels, which is not supposed to be the case or intention but I guess Medaka Box is more complex for a comparison to OPM. In my case I dislike both the parody and when it takes itself seriously. So whether I'm critical about it or just mindlessly watching it, I can't enjoy it either way.

Repetitive doesn't mean that there literally no new stuff. It entails there is a specific key element that is constantly being repeated and used as a major plot point, which is the case for OPM, where it's premise is literally him one punching enemies. It's always about his one punch. I mean the most creative the show could get with it is ''Gasp! instead of one punch, he defeated someone with more than one punch!!'' ''Holy shit how creative, it's totally not the same thing anymore''

For me OPM has poor foundation and a gimmick concept that loses it's novelty fairly quickly. It's almost like what's the point, what can the show even offer if even both it's serious and non-serious aspects are mediocre in execution and limited.
Are you an anime only watcher? I can understand where your coming from if you are, but none of it makes sense if you aren't. After the sea king arc it starts to expand on the plot and story. Garou arc is where is starts feeling more like a shounen battle then a parody itself.

ONE, author of OPM, created the series for his own enjoyment and not for ours. OPM was simply a way for ONE to practice using a manga creation software. It was only a hobby for him and still is. That's why the art is so bad and it is also why saitama is so plain looking. He didn't expand on the plot until later in his work. He never gave much thought on saitama's design or even his name. He didn't take it seriously until it got popular.That's when he started to create a full plot for OPM. You will see that during the garou Arc.

The only reason OPM is here today is because murata likes his story and didn't wanted OPM to end. So, he made a deal with him, The redraw as was made and the story was continued because of Murate. The redraw boosted OPM popularity due to it's amazing art.

I love OPM due it's art and the contrast between saitama and the surroundings. If you judge OPM based on it's comedy your going to have a hard time enjoying it. It's not all about comedy. I read it because it has excellent art, character development, comedy, and more it has to offer. Recently I didn't give a shit about metal bat, but due to recent chapter he has become my favorite S class heroes. Same with king. king has become one of my favorite characters due to his secret. he wasn't recently, but he moved up there.
OPM has many characters that have the potential to become favorites or MC material. Basically most characters in OPM have MC material except for saitama which makes funny. (genos for example) Each character even have potential to have spotlight(mumen rider is a perfect example). you wouldn't think that mument rider, a c class hero, would go on people's favorite character list, but because ONE's story he was able to do that. That's another reason why I like OPM as a manga.

OPM has it's sad moments because saitama know he will never find an opponent that he can enjoy.

I'm surprised ONE was able to make OP character interesting. Superman is a good example of OP characters not being interesting. He was able to keep saitama's opness interesting due to facial expression, and bored look when he fights strong opponents.His reactions make the battle much more funny then it actually is.
Like i can't explain to you how good OPM art is. i can show you pictures of it to you if you don't believe me.

OPM isn't just saitama one punching everything. If you thought that, then you are over simplifying it. Garou arc is a perfect example. the story doesn't revolve around saitama. it shows other characters struggles and story after the boros arc. It becomes more shonen and less focused on saitama. That keeps OPM story more entertaining. Later in the story he never actually One punches main villains anymore like you are seeing in the anime. it focuses more on the villains abilities and heroes character devoplment and story.it gives you a taste of how strong saitama really is. you won't be seeing the typicle cliche One punch anmore if that's what your worrying about.

OPM animation does justice to the beautiful art OPM
TheChose0n3Dec 23, 2015 2:10 PM
Dec 23, 2015 4:10 PM

Aug 2014
MahadoKusanagi said:
Lucasloco91 said:
Because this is better than Code Geass
Saitama > Lelouch

Nah, rather Saitama > Chuck Norris

BLASPHEMY! None can beat our lord and savior, Chuck Norris! Not even that bald guy who kills everyone with one punch!
Dec 23, 2015 4:13 PM

Jan 2013
literally the only thing I hear from people that didn't like opm is "the humor is repetitive".

l
m
f
a
o

not all of the comedy revolves around the one punch gag.
Dec 23, 2015 4:40 PM

Aug 2014
Saitama's memeable expressions I guess .__.

Dec 23, 2015 4:45 PM

Dec 2012
TheChose0n3 said:
tsudecimo said:

Are you an anime only watcher? I can understand where your coming from if you are, but none of it makes sense if you aren't. After the sea king arc it starts to expand on the plot and story. Garou arc is where is starts feeling more like a shounen battle then a parody itself.

ONE, author of OPM, created the series for his own enjoyment and not for ours. OPM was simply a way for ONE to practice using a manga creation software. It was only a hobby for him and still is. That's why the art is so bad and it is also why saitama is so plain looking. He didn't expand on the plot until later in his work. He never gave much thought on saitama's design or even his name. He didn't take it seriously until it got popular.That's when he started to create a full plot for OPM. You will see that during the garou Arc.

The only reason OPM is here today is because murata likes his story and didn't wanted OPM to end. So, he made a deal with him, The redraw as was made and the story was continued because of Murate. The redraw boosted OPM popularity due to it's amazing art.

I love OPM due it's art and the contrast between saitama and the surroundings. If you judge OPM based on it's comedy your going to have a hard time enjoying it. It's not all about comedy. I read it because it has excellent art, character development, comedy, and more it has to offer. Recently I didn't give a shit about metal bat, but due to recent chapter he has become my favorite S class heroes. Same with king. king has become one of my favorite characters due to his secret. he wasn't recently, but he moved up there.
OPM has many characters that have the potential to become favorites or MC material. Basically most characters in OPM have MC material except for saitama which makes funny. (genos for example) Each character even have potential to have spotlight(mumen rider is a perfect example). you wouldn't think that mument rider, a c class hero, would go on people's favorite character list, but because ONE's story he was able to do that. That's another reason why I like OPM as a manga.

OPM has it's sad moments because saitama know he will never find an opponent that he can enjoy.

I'm surprised ONE was able to make OP character interesting. Superman is a good example of OP characters not being interesting. He was able to keep saitama's opness interesting due to facial expression, and bored look when he fights strong opponents.His reactions make the battle much more funny then it actually is.
Like i can't explain to you how good OPM art is. i can show you pictures of it to you if you don't believe me.

OPM isn't just saitama one punching everything. If you thought that, then you are over simplifying it. Garou arc is a perfect example. the story doesn't revolve around saitama. it shows other characters struggles and story after the boros arc. It becomes more shonen and less focused on saitama. That keeps OPM story more entertaining. Later in the story he never actually One punches main villains anymore like you are seeing in the anime. it focuses more on the villains abilities and heroes character devoplment and story.it gives you a taste of how strong saitama really is. you won't be seeing the typicle cliche One punch anmore if that's what your worrying about.

Actually I read the manga first before the anime was announced and stopped reading for the reasons I mentioned. But I enjoyed the manga and the problems with it didn't hinder my enjoyment with it too much. Because for starters Murata's art is very amazing, I rated the manga 7/10, only for his art if nothing else. Even the anime has the same fundamental problems as the manga, it bothered me a lot more in the anime because it just worked better in the manga. In the manga aside from being able to get through stuff faster, it had a better comedic timing, which made the comedy better delivered. In the anime I couldn't help but cringe from the first episodes, I was against this being an anime in the first place and was sure of that when I watched the first episode. It's rare for me to dislike something from it's very first episode.

What you are saying is the problem. I can only already tell that at one point it will become a standard superhero manga. The problem here is that the serious parts are very sub par. Even when their was parody present, the build up for the villains and monsters was done seriously. Which was not good. That's what I meant with both of it's aspects being mediocre in execution, together or apart, I don't find them good. It's the same with Gintama to some extent. In it's serious arcs, they just feel like recycled plot ideas from Shounen Jump, very average and boring and unremarkable.

I get how this started, and I get the intention of the original author. But nonetheless that doesn't really have bearing on the actual audience of the manga adaptation or the anime adaptation. What you said about him not taking it seriously, only supports my statement that it's half assed.

They can be likable characters. I already like Genos, but so what? nothing really impressive by superhero characters becoming someone's favorite. Don't really see it's development of any of these characters to be something impressive, it's just simplistic and just there. Doesn't satisfy someone who is going to take this as face value and ignore the parody and such.

If I'm going to commit to a serious story what does OPM have to offer in comparison to other similar manga? Boku no Hero is a superhero manga in Shounen Jump. It's a serious take in superheroes. What makes it standout (actual comments from fans and the panel that gave it awards) is the underdog theme. How the main protagonist unlike other characters doesn't have an actual superpower. That alone create a lot of interesting conflicts and potential for growth. And since it take itself seriously the reader can get emotionally invested in it easily and care for it's drama and such. But it's hard for me to care about something that wanted me to turn my brain off for the first arc or so of it, and then expect me to be okay with it's attempt with it's serious storytelling.

Going back to Boku no Hero comparison. There is nothing sad or tragic about Saitama not finding an opponent. I actually thought people were just joking about this, I mean are you kidding me. This is the literally equivalent of first word kid being bored and feeling sad even though he doesn't have any problems in life or professional athlete being 'bored' that he is the best the game and feels sad that he doesn't have a challenge. That's just trivial and even then I've seen it better executed in other manga (Kuroko no Basket). While in Boku no Hero, it's legitimately sad for Daku, because of how his world is built. Being a hero is a much bigger deal, and something with a lot more social effects. Not to mention the difference in desire and resolve between Daku and Saitama.

Idk. I find Superman fairly interesting, because he has internal conflict that goes beyond ''poor me I can't find somebody stronger :(''. Being OP or not is not limitation to how much a character can be interesting. People find it fresh with Saitama because of what you said, his expression and his reactions. Which is just a cheap way to make him different. What if I get tired by him and his supermarket sales bit? What's more to him? Did his depth reach it's highest by the internal conflict of not being able to find somebody stronger and that makes him sad, and disinterested in what used to be his aspiration and favorite thing?

Well I was talking about the anime. But I think I addressed why that wouldn't make the series great.

I appreciate Murata's art more than the animation but okay. I can see where you are coming from, and I can see why you like this series. I just tried to explain why I didn't, it doesn't click with me especially this anime adaption. From what I can tell, the majority of fans of the anime at least, just like it because it's hype, entertaining. The portions that are supposed to be parody are enjoyed as something serious in any other anime and found great. I just didn't feel the same way. In many ways I found it dishonest. Maybe a personal preference of me.

Thanks for your post anyway even if I don't necessarily agree with most of it.
Dec 23, 2015 6:02 PM

Jan 2008
TheChose0n3 said:
tsudecimo said:

These are also the reasons I like the series.
Is it weird that I love One Punch man if I also like more serious and "deep" animes like say for instance Steins;Gate?
I don't understand why people dislike a show that is liked by so many simply because it's not super deep and cool like FMA Brotherhood or Death Note.

I for instance think Gintama is overrated. I know most people disagree with me and think Gintama is the shit, I can see the numbers right on this very site. It's just not for me.
I do not go to the Gintama forums and post "You guys are stupid for liking this Anime" that is a huge waste of their and my own time.
Dec 23, 2015 6:15 PM
Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
TheChose0n3 said:

Actually I read the manga first before the anime was announced and stopped reading for the reasons I mentioned. But I enjoyed the manga and the problems with it didn't hinder my enjoyment with it too much. Because for starters Murata's art is very amazing, I rated the manga 7/10, only for his art if nothing else. Even the anime has the same fundamental problems as the manga, it bothered me a lot more in the anime because it just worked better in the manga. In the manga aside from being able to get through stuff faster, it had a better comedic timing, which made the comedy better delivered. In the anime I couldn't help but cringe from the first episodes, I was against this being an anime in the first place and was sure of that when I watched the first episode. It's rare for me to dislike something from it's very first episode.

What you are saying is the problem. I can only already tell that at one point it will become a standard superhero manga. The problem here is that the serious parts are very sub par. Even when their was parody present, the build up for the villains and monsters was done seriously. Which was not good. That's what I meant with both of it's aspects being mediocre in execution, together or apart, I don't find them good. It's the same with Gintama to some extent. In it's serious arcs, they just feel like recycled plot ideas from Shounen Jump, very average and boring and unremarkable.

I get how this started, and I get the intention of the original author. But nonetheless that doesn't really have bearing on the actual audience of the manga adaptation or the anime adaptation. What you said about him not taking it seriously, only supports my statement that it's half assed.

They can be likable characters. I already like Genos, but so what? nothing really impressive by superhero characters becoming someone's favorite. Don't really see it's development of any of these characters to be something impressive, it's just simplistic and just there. Doesn't satisfy someone who is going to take this as face value and ignore the parody and such.

If I'm going to commit to a serious story what does OPM have to offer in comparison to other similar manga? Boku no Hero is a superhero manga in Shounen Jump. It's a serious take in superheroes. What makes it standout (actual comments from fans and the panel that gave it awards) is the underdog theme. How the main protagonist unlike other characters doesn't have an actual superpower. That alone create a lot of interesting conflicts and potential for growth. And since it take itself seriously the reader can get emotionally invested in it easily and care for it's drama and such. But it's hard for me to care about something that wanted me to turn my brain off for the first arc or so of it, and then expect me to be okay with it's attempt with it's serious storytelling.

Going back to Boku no Hero comparison. There is nothing sad or tragic about Saitama not finding an opponent. I actually thought people were just joking about this, I mean are you kidding me. This is the literally equivalent of first word kid being bored and feeling sad even though he doesn't have any problems in life or professional athlete being 'bored' that he is the best the game and feels sad that he doesn't have a challenge. That's just trivial and even then I've seen it better executed in other manga (Kuroko no Basket). While in Boku no Hero, it's legitimately sad for Daku, because of how his world is built. Being a hero is a much bigger deal, and something with a lot more social effects. Not to mention the difference in desire and resolve between Daku and Saitama.

Idk. I find Superman fairly interesting, because he has internal conflict that goes beyond ''poor me I can't find somebody stronger :(''. Being OP or not is not limitation to how much a character can be interesting. People find it fresh with Saitama because of what you said, his expression and his reactions. Which is just a cheap way to make him different. What if I get tired by him and his supermarket sales bit? What's more to him? Did his depth reach it's highest by the internal conflict of not being able to find somebody stronger and that makes him sad, and disinterested in what used to be his aspiration and favorite thing?

Well I was talking about the anime. But I think I addressed why that wouldn't make the series great.

I appreciate Murata's art more than the animation but okay. I can see where you are coming from, and I can see why you like this series. I just tried to explain why I didn't, it doesn't click with me especially this anime adaption. From what I can tell, the majority of fans of the anime at least, just like it because it's hype, entertaining. The portions that are supposed to be parody are enjoyed as something serious in any other anime and found great. I just didn't feel the same way. In many ways I found it dishonest. Maybe a personal preference of me.

Like TheChose0n3 already said, this (1st season?) anime only focus on the main premise of Saitama, but there's many character development of other S-class heroes which each deserve to be a MC, beside Saitama himself in the next ultra-long arc. Somebody in another thread already pointing out that the purpose of this series is to present other characters/heroes to shine, while Saitama as the MC in the background..as a 'wallpaper'.

Since you already dislike it and drop the manga, when the Anime will adapt Garou-arc in the next 2-3 years, I can only hope you'll change your opinion for better.

Oh speaking the MC of BnHA, you'll gonna like Mx0 (a manga which haxed despite its popularity), a manga with similar premise: A OP wizard in a magic school, but he didn't any magic power.
Dec 23, 2015 6:28 PM
Dec 2015
I don't like one punch man.
Dec 23, 2015 6:32 PM
Dec 2015
tsudecimo said:
TheChose0n3 said:

I'm not going to argue with you trying to convince you to like a manga. I wasn't trying to convince you to like it I was stating why I like the series.Just wanted to make this clear.

It's obvious we are 2 people with different taste. I guess that's a downside of watching too much anime/manga you start comparing it to other anime/manga and can't see the good of it because you are comparing it to other series.
I completely agree about the manga doing a better job than the anime in regards of the comedy. i understand why you don't like the series. nothing wrong with that.
I thought you were judging the series based on the anime. I was saying that series get's better if you read the manga and the webcomic. the fact that you dropped the series and you are judging it based on your short experience annoys me. When I read/watch something, i watch it to the very end. that way i can confirm that it's bad. It could get better in the later half.
When I first started reading Gintama I watched it, but I almost dropped it because I didn't enjoy it very much. I kept watching it though, I didn't regret watching till the end because now Gintama is my favorite anime.

Tell me can Boku no Hero attract people who hate anime or have no interest in it ? I have friends who hate anime and I made them watch it. They watched it and liked to the end. Other people are saying that too.
Can Boku no Hero do that? Sometimes being too complicated isn't good because it won't attract those who have no interest in anime. Take DBZ for example. it was a simple story yet people loved it. It is also what caused most western people attracted to anime. In a way OPM is like dbz due to it's destructive power and fights. Especially the saitama vs boros fight. Most people watch anime to find something as good as the anime they watched previously.

Did you read the webcomic of saitama vs garou? if you have not then you are missing an important part of the series and judging the series based on the first arc to boros or whatever part you ended at. The buildup for garou makes all the other build up look like child's work. It seems like every arc the build up keeps increasing. Sea king had 1 episode of build up. Boros had 2 episode and don't get me started with Garou. His buildup was insane. I can't wait for the next villain to outshine Garou. That's another reason why I love OPM because ever arc keeps getting better. So I'm always looking forward to the next.

A good series has good character that everyone can like at least 1 character. OPM has many of them. Mumen rider, saitama, genos, metal bat, king, fubuki, tatsumaki, garou, zombieman, watchdogman(possibly), lightspeedflash(possibly). your anime probably has a lot more characters, but quality vs quantity. character development is only an part of a reason why OPM is good IMO. it's an ingredient of a cake.

Again serious parts of the manga/webcomic is only an ingredient of what makes this series good. it has a mix of both serious and comedy. If you say the comedy is bland, then that's just you. i certainly laughed at it. Maybe because I'm not taking manga/anime so serious? or because i don't watch many comedy anime. Again i'm not trying to convince you to like it just annoyed that you dropped the series and juding it on what you saw.

yeah, I didn't think it was that sad. During boros death they played mumen rider's sad soundtrack during his death. I'm basically telling you what most people ttell me. i agree with you on this.

Superman isn't interesting at all. There's no argument there. (there shouldn't at least). Why do you think people liked the doomsday vs superman fight? it's because he never loses. he's not supposed to. Saitama is basically the samething. he isn't supposed to lose yet he makes people laugh.Can superman do that?what if ...... what if it get's better?

Yeah, I understand why it doesn't click to you, but we all have preferences. Not my problem if you don't like it .

Yeah, i actually enjoy long conversations like this. It keeps me thinking.
TheChose0n3Dec 23, 2015 7:40 PM
Dec 23, 2015 6:39 PM
Dec 2015
1) When people look at a couple of scenes, they see Saitama's face and wonder why people would like such a plain show, right? No. That's just him being modest about the fact that he can destroy a god-damn f*cking nebula with a single blow. No one can deny the fact that this is the greatest animation style we have all seen in a long time.

2) When people are hating on a show, thats either because they genuinely did not like it, or they are trying to stand out in the crowd. Lets be realistic, more people just want to stand out.

3) Like all 12-13 episode shows, they are made to advertise the manga.

4) One of the many reasons I [b][u]personally[u][b] enjoyed this show was because of the insane fight scenes, color, animation style, and wondering what other kind of crazy monster would come up.

Dec 23, 2015 8:02 PM
Dec 2013
Cellsplitter said:

Is it weird that I love One Punch man if I also like more serious and "deep" animes like say for instance Steins;Gate? ...

I'm not picking on you Cellsplitter, but am using this quote as an example.

I really don't see the need for people to compare One Punch Man against stories that are perceived to have more depth. Steins;Gate is one of my favorite anime, and only one of three that I've rated a ten. The other two are One Punch Man and Gurren Lagann. I like different things about each show, but think it's dishonest to say any of them are shallow, including One Punch Man.

Now, to be completely fair, I also have the manga and webcomic in the back of my mind, and it does get increasingly deep as the story progresses. That said, even leading up to the Boros arc, One Punch Man is deceptively deep.

I've seen people say that it isn't deep and only for people lacking analytical skills or intelligence. They've said the comedy is stale and is always the same. The thing is, the shows generally perceived as being deep are thought of that way because they almost explicitly tell you that's the case. They shout "look at me, I'm deep and complex!" One Punch Man doesn't do any of that, but there's a wealth of symbolism, characterization, and strong themes that run through a masterfully told and animated story.

The anime, at least the first season that we've seen so far, does miss out on some great characterization, but it does a good job setting the stage for some of the more interesting character arc, including the psychic sisters, King, Garou, and others. That said, the anime does change some things from the manga that greatly improves upon the story telling and allows the animation to hit home on themes that weren't quite developed at this point in the manga.

Anyway, it covers a ton of themes, including these big ones:

1. Depression, especially from high levels of competence: Some might think that this theme is a bit contrived and not a reflection on reality, but I really don't agree with that. Granted, the level of escalation required to capture Saitama's attention is far beyond anything people would experience in real life, the emotional crisis surrounding boredom and the lack of challenge is common in every day life. It's most pronounced in children who are talented (this particular scenario is well-represented when Saitama is a c-class hero and has to meet quotas doing things that are utterly boring for him). They tend to suffer from depression, lack of ambition (sort of the same thing), and inability to connect with other people. That said, this is also a major criticism of modern living, i.e., that we've become too comfortable and our lives no longer have the sustenance from challenge that they need, which leads to depression due to broken reward systems in the brain. These people typically spend a lot of time on addictive activities, such as over consuming entertainment (TV, comics, video games, shows, books - Saitama does this), pornography, or drugs. We see Saitama start to change for the better as he acquires more friends who help support him, offering an outlet for him to try to help people become stronger themselves and understand how he has become so. This mostly applies to Genos, but the rest of the cast definitely help support Saitama, too, although that's more pronounced in the arcs succeeding the animation.

2. The media, importance of popularity, and prejudice: There are very real problems with people's competence in specific tasks are judged based on unrelated, superficial factors. More attractive people tend to have higher wages. One such is example is the wage difference between tall and short men. Saitama is constantly overlooked despite being the strongest being in his universe by an inconceivable margin because he is so plain looking. No one thinks he's capable of kind of feats that he does perform, instead attributing them to other people, including Genos and other S-Class heroes. It also shows how quickly people can turn on you for not living up to their [unrealistic] expectations that are based off of unfounded and ill-conceived opinions; a good example of this is the NEET guy after the Sea King is defeated. This is actually a bit ironic because I feel like it's sort of what's happening with people who feel that OPM is shallow and overrated. The rigidity of the hero ranking system also leads to a large amount of prejudice and inability for some people to move up because of their class.

Other themes that I don't have time to write on, but may later:

What it means (and doesn't mean) to be a hero.
The silliness of ranking systems.
The (often terrible) cost of obsession, specifically the obsessive pursuit of something.
How internal and external expectations frame our perception of reality and personal performance.

Anyway, the point is, I think One Punch Man is actually one of the deepest stories I've seen told. I'll admit that the anime doesn't cover enough material to be considered a cinematic/literary (sort of, if you consider comics literature) masterpiece, such as how I feel about the original, but it's still great. My biggest complaints were the cut corners on a few areas of animation, and I thought that pacing was a little fast compared to what I would've liked. It's still great, but I think they could've made some things a bit more impactful with better pacing. A good example of this is the Boros fight, where I think slowing down a few of the scenes, e.g., the serious punch, would've added a bit more to the telling. That said, the comedy was good, it is thematically deep, it has good characterization, and next-level animation.

Still a 10/10 despite the flaws. It's that good.
Dec 23, 2015 8:23 PM

Feb 2015
-Great male role model(s) with positive messages
-Amazing OP
-Exceptional animation
-Laugh out loud comedy
-Tastefully gratuitous gore
-Well paced progression of characters introduced to the story
-Memorable characters
-Excellent balance between parody and playing it straight that shows both self-awareness and care for the audience
-HYPE
-memes
CaelidesuDec 23, 2015 10:55 PM
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 23, 2015 8:27 PM
Mar 2015
I did not find it funny in any way but I still wanted to watch it every week for some reason. I guess I liked the characters and the animation also the OST was really good.
Dec 24, 2015 6:15 AM
Mar 2014
SeeItThere said:
Cellsplitter said:

Is it weird that I love One Punch man if I also like more serious and "deep" animes like say for instance Steins;Gate? ...

I really don't see the need for people to compare One Punch Man against stories that are perceived to have more depth. Steins;Gate is one of my favorite anime, and only one of three that I've rated a ten. The other two are One Punch Man and Gurren Lagann. I like different things about each show, but think it's dishonest to say any of them are shallow, including One Punch Man.

Now, to be completely fair, I also have the manga and webcomic in the back of my mind, and it does get increasingly deep as the story progresses. That said, even leading up to the Boros arc, One Punch Man is deceptively deep.

I've seen people say that it isn't deep and only for people lacking analytical skills or intelligence. They've said the comedy is stale and is always the same. The thing is, the shows generally perceived as being deep are thought of that way because they almost explicitly tell you that's the case. They shout "look at me, I'm deep and complex!" One Punch Man doesn't do any of that, but there's a wealth of symbolism, characterization, and strong themes that run through a masterfully told and animated story.

The anime, at least the first season that we've seen so far, does miss out on some great characterization, but it does a good job setting the stage for some of the more interesting character arc, including the psychic sisters, King, Garou, and others. That said, the anime does change some things from the manga that greatly improves upon the story telling and allows the animation to hit home on themes that weren't quite developed at this point in the manga.

1. Depression, especially from high levels of competence: Some might think that this theme is a bit contrived and not a reflection on reality, but I really don't agree with that. Granted, the level of escalation required to capture Saitama's attention is far beyond anything people would experience in real life, the emotional crisis surrounding boredom and the lack of challenge is common in every day life. It's most pronounced in children who are talented (this particular scenario is well-represented when Saitama is a c-class hero and has to meet quotas doing things that are utterly boring for him). They tend to suffer from depression, lack of ambition (sort of the same thing), and inability to connect with other people. That said, this is also a major criticism of modern living, i.e., that we've become too comfortable and our lives no longer have the sustenance from challenge that they need, which leads to depression due to broken reward systems in the brain. These people typically spend a lot of time on addictive activities, such as over consuming entertainment (TV, comics, video games, shows, books - Saitama does this), pornography, or drugs. We see Saitama start to change for the better as he acquires more friends who help support him, offering an outlet for him to try to help people become stronger themselves and understand how he has become so. This mostly applies to Genos, but the rest of the cast definitely help support Saitama, too, although that's more pronounced in the arcs succeeding the animation.

2. The media, importance of popularity, and prejudice: There are very real problems with people's competence in specific tasks are judged based on unrelated, superficial factors. More attractive people tend to have higher wages. One such is example is the wage difference between tall and short men. Saitama is constantly overlooked despite being the strongest being in his universe by an inconceivable margin because he is so plain looking. No one thinks he's capable of kind of feats that he does perform, instead attributing them to other people, including Genos and other S-Class heroes. It also shows how quickly people can turn on you for not living up to their [unrealistic] expectations that are based off of unfounded and ill-conceived opinions; a good example of this is the NEET guy after the Sea King is defeated. This is actually a bit ironic because I feel like it's sort of what's happening with people who feel that OPM is shallow and overrated. The rigidity of the hero ranking system also leads to a large amount of prejudice and inability for some people to move up because of their class.

The (often terrible) cost of obsession, specifically the obsessive pursuit of something.
How internal and external expectations frame our perception of reality and personal performance.

Anyway, the point is, I think One Punch Man is actually one of the deepest stories I've seen told. I'll admit that the anime doesn't cover enough material to be considered a cinematic/literary (sort of, if you consider comics literature) masterpiece, such as how I feel about the original, but it's still great. My biggest complaints were the cut corners on a few areas of animation, and I thought that pacing was a little fast compared to what I would've liked. It's still great, but I think they could've made some things a bit more impactful with better pacing. A good example of this is the Boros fight, where I think slowing down a few of the scenes, e.g., the serious punch, would've added a bit more to the telling. That said, the comedy was good, it is thematically deep, it has good characterization, and next-level animation.

this post warms my heart and i commend you
still, though, why bother? multiple people, including myself, have been constantly telling people to look deeper into it, but when haters can't argue against you they just ignore your arguments and look for other posts to reply to. Typing so much up is just a waste of time, honestly.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Dec 24, 2015 10:35 AM

Dec 2012
@TheChose0n3

I can reply to your points but I don't see much point. Just a few comments from me

1/ I think you misunderstood me. I'm not seeing the good in OPM, not because I compared it to other anime and mnaga (I only did that to support my arguments and explain myself better) I'm not seeing the good because I personally don't see it. I will read the manga, for the sake of art. But I wouldn't watch a second anime if it happened. I don't see much point in sticking to something that I don't like. People stuck to Gintama because it was a very popular opinion that it starts bad but starts getting better.

2/I don't see much point in how OPM attracted non-anime viewer. That doesn't translate to OPM having some merit. It appeals to western people. Same as SnK. Boku no Hero will most likely become very popular in the west (hopefully not to the extent of OPM) it's already selling well in the west without the anime. And it's already popular in Japan

3/ Weird impression on the Superman thing. He is an iconic and well loved character, it hard to imagine that his fans don't find him interesting.
Dec 24, 2015 1:50 PM

Dec 2012
babymimi said:

Because they don't like the series? I've seen some anime fans disliking the fact DBZ is so popular among non-viewers because they don't like it. If you don't like a series you don't want it to be popular over series you find better. The same applies to any medium.

Actually I was referring to popularity in the west only. Because after a certain point there is no pros for something to be popular whether I like it or not, just cons such as annoying fans, being center of attention which leads to more potential hate, memes being created, etc.

I'm all for a series being popular in Japan even if I don't like it because that has substantial effects on it. But for a manga that you already like after being popular enough to get early scans (i.e Tokyo Ghoul and Prison School) and fast subs there is no more benefits to being more popular.
Dec 24, 2015 2:04 PM

Mar 2015
babymimi said:
MightyM16 said:

I wonder why someone wouldn't want an anime to become popular among non viewers, you know to expand the media

Must be some false sense of misguided elitism

Because they don't like the series? I've seen some anime fans disliking the fact DBZ is so popular among non-viewers because they don't like it. If you don't like a series you don't want it to be popular over series you find better. The same applies to any medium.

This is shallow and makes no sense tbh, why someone should care if the series they don't like are popular?

If they don't like, shouldn't they you know, don't care about it?
Dec 24, 2015 2:54 PM

Oct 2012
Because anime elitists have to suck the fun out of everything. I can't stand SAO for obvious reasons, but if people derive enjoyment from it, let them. Don't go up to them picking some sort of internet baby fight just because you think your opinion is word of god or something. People are going to hype the things they like. It's not that hard to just ignore them.

Hell, it takes more effort to actually respond to them.
Dec 24, 2015 2:59 PM

Jun 2014
MightyM16 said:
babymimi said:

This is shallow and makes no sense tbh, why someone should care if the series they don't like are popular?

That's just bias.
Dec 25, 2015 8:55 AM

Mar 2015
babymimi said:
MightyM16 said:

That's just bias.

What

Bias? How so?
Dec 25, 2015 10:39 AM

Jan 2008
SeeItThere said:
Cellsplitter said:

Not sure how agreeing with me 100% is considered"picking" on me lol. Thank you for taking the time to write down all of my thoughts for me :P
Dec 25, 2015 6:09 PM

Mar 2014
Awesome fights. Every single frame looks epic and you can really frel the damage. Saitama's punches, giant monsters smashing a city, it's all so satisfying. On top of that, there are very serious problems that are inherent to the superhero genre and OPM parodies them, which is fun whether you're a big superhero/comic book fan or some one who thinks the genre is lame/unrelatable.

Comedy/parody appeals to a wide audience. Not everyone will like battle shonen or psychological mindfuck, but pretty much everyone likes comedy in some capacity.

Fantastic art and animation, the fighta may not alwaysbe fluid, but that's hardly the point, it's not about fluidity or choreography, but about impact.

The Hero is the best OP

It's 2deep4you... Ok, not really, but Saitama's lack of popularity explores a dynamic rarely present in most super hero stuff. Strength and good intentions do not equate to popularity and the most popular heros are the ones that make an effort to become popular.

Edit: Thank for that analysis, Seeitthere, I love reading that type of stuff.
merryfistmasDec 25, 2015 7:20 PM
Dec 25, 2015 7:54 PM

Jul 2014
Why its so popular?
-Madhouse
-Jam Project
-Flashy lights
-Pure entertainment and nothing more, nothing deep, good for casuals.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Live Action Movie gets new writers (Rick and Morty writer and creator)

OvergrownRover - Apr 14

1 by OvergrownRover »»
Apr 14, 4:07 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

986 by larryfirst »»
Mar 28, 5:27 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

337 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Mar 18, 12:48 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

791 by Jiborjas »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Oct 17, 2015

430 by Xerreth »»
Mar 13, 6:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.