Forum Settings
Forums

The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God

New
well mal, assuming any of you even remotely have any sort of capacity to be able to make it through and fully understand this whole thing, do you agree or disagree?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 20, 2015 3:59 AM

Dec 2014
tl;dr plz
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Dec 20, 2015 4:58 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
And my argument was that intuition says the complete opposite to what he believes. What doesn't exist, what you don't have, is always greater than what you have/exists.

Why? It seems intuitively true that a God who is otherwise perfect would be better if he existed. What is good about a God who doesn't even exist? That's pointless.

Linguistics today has tried to represent the rules in which the meanings of word combine in terms of formal logic. They think it's actually true and that formal logic is actually used by the brain in some sense.
Dec 20, 2015 1:34 PM

Mar 2008
Im doing this while tired and the argument is not interesting to me so I dont feel its worth much effort so excuse me if I do not word this well

i.by definition, god is a being which nothing greater can be conceived
That is not the definition of God or even a god but merely a definition of God with the tinge of the Christian belief. So not only are they arguing by assumption there is a god, they are arguing by assumption what is a god. There is no explanation on why God has to be singular, omnipotent, omnipresent, and malevolent.

ii. a being who necessarily exists (whose non-existence is logically impossible) is greater than a being who does not necessarily exist (whose non-existence is logically possible)
This does not really say much about God. It says more about the limits of the one imagining. The limited mind struggles more to imagine non-existence. I can imagine a mind capable of imagining non-existence.

iii. if one conceives of a god as either not existing or not having necessary existence, then there must exist a being which is greater than god that we can imagine (ii)
This is entirely dependant on the first premise. It at least tries to fill in the logic gap of the second premise. However my imagined mind imagining the non-existent makes it more difficult to stand much ground.

iv. we can't imagine a being greater than god (i)
v. thus, if god, a being which nothing greater can be conceived, exists as an idea, it must also necessarily exists in reality
vi. god exists in the mind as an idea
vii. therefore god exists in reality

Its pretty obvious you can not have something greater than the greatest so it is setting up a logic trap forcing people to reach a certain conclusion with the imagined constraints placed.

Using logic like this the only way you can say for sure god exists in reality is to say that our minds are a part of reality and such a god is limited in power existing in a state of simultaneously being most powerful and being not powerful. How that works is God is the most powerful when imagined and that imagination is a part of reality but we still have our physical reality where such god is not all powerful. So this falls short of the argument it replaces but is more sound.
Dec 20, 2015 5:44 PM

Jun 2015
traed said:
Im doing this while tired and the argument is not interesting to me so I dont feel its worth much effort so excuse me if I do not word this well

That is not the definition of God or even a god but merely a definition of God with the tinge of the Christian belief. So not only are they arguing by assumption there is a god, they are arguing by assumption what is a god. There is no explanation on why God has to be singular, omnipotent, omnipresent, and malevolent.

this argument was an attempt to prove god in the christian sense. That was the point of Anselm writing this.

ii. a being who necessarily exists (whose non-existence is logically impossible) is greater than a being who does not necessarily exist (whose non-existence is logically possible)
This does not really say much about God. It says more about the limits of the one imagining. The limited mind struggles more to imagine non-existence. I can imagine a mind capable of imagining non-existence.

ok.

iii. if one conceives of a god as either not existing or not having necessary existence, then there must exist a being which is greater than god that we can imagine (ii)
This is entirely dependant on the first premise. It at least tries to fill in the logic gap of the second premise. However my imagined mind imagining the non-existent makes it more difficult to stand much ground.

but your imagined mind is non-existent, so it's irrelevant what it imagines. It does not exist by necessity.

v. thus, if god, a being which nothing greater can be conceived, exists as an idea, it must also necessarily exists in reality

Its pretty obvious you can not have something greater than the greatest so it is setting up a logic trap forcing people to reach a certain conclusion with the imagined constraints placed.

if that's what you think than that's on you. This is how a priori arguments are formed.
Dec 20, 2015 6:13 PM

Mar 2008
I realized i wrote malevolent when I should have wrote benevolent. Darn auto correction.

Again there is nothing building up support for the first premise of his. With nothing backing it up the rest of the argument falls apart easy because it fails to support itself.

I fail to see your point. If the entire argument is basically if you can imagine god the there must be a god. So there really is no reason within the same thought I can't say that a mind that can contemplate non-existence can exist because i can imagine it. Also this is me only referring to direct imagining of non-existence. I was aiming for a deeper type of thought. The easier method is imagining things without the god, which is pretty easy, every atheist does it and it does not even need extra steps. It just is how it is in that case.
Dec 20, 2015 6:17 PM

Jun 2015
traed said:
I realized i wrote malevolent when I should have wrote benevolent. Darn auto correction.

Again there is nothing building up support for the first premise of his. With nothing backing it up the rest of the argument falls apart easy because it fails to support itself.

I fail to see your point. If the entire argument is basically if you can imagine god the there must be a god. So there really is no reason within the same thought I can't say that a mind that can contemplate non-existence can exist because i can imagine it. Also this is me only referring to direct imagining of non-existence. I was aiming for a deeper type of thought. The easier method is imagining things without the god, which is pretty easy, every atheist does it and it does not even need extra steps. It just is how it is in that case.

you're entirely misinterpreting the argument if that's how you feel, it's not trying to argue if you can imagine a god that there must be a god, it's instead trying to prove the existence of the christian god, which is omnipotent and omniscient. The discrepancy between imagining something like a mind that cannot imagine god and god itself is that a god exists out of necessity, that is to say, if it's omniscient, omnipotent, and the ultimately best thing out of all other things than it has to be real, where as a mind that can not imagine god is simply a mind that cannot imagine god.

Whether or not you can imagine something is not the problem.
Dec 20, 2015 8:05 PM

Mar 2008
Ravioli_Ravioli said:

you're entirely misinterpreting the argument if that's how you feel, it's not trying to argue if you can imagine a god that there must be a god, it's instead trying to prove the existence of the christian god, which is omnipotent and omniscient. The discrepancy between imagining something like a mind that cannot imagine god and god itself is that a god exists out of necessity, that is to say, if it's omniscient, omnipotent, and the ultimately best thing out of all other things than it has to be real, where as a mind that can not imagine god is simply a mind that cannot imagine god.

Whether or not you can imagine something is not the problem.
But this god could imagine the non existent god or else they are not omnipotent thus not god. If they can imagine a god not existing then god must not be able to exist using this logic.
traedDec 20, 2015 8:10 PM
Dec 21, 2015 2:28 AM

Oct 2012
Ravioli_Ravioli said:

Formally, the argument says
iii. if one conceives of a god as either not existing or not having necessary existence, than there must exist a being which is greater than god that we can imagine (ii)
it is important to define what "greatest" means. In this sense, it refers to something perfect by human perception in all forms of omniscience, omnipotence, and morality.
There are several issues with this argument, one touched upon by PerpetualTrance. For one, infinite is not actually a number, and it is inconceivable. The trouble is with conflating an actual thing in thought with its linguistic approximation, that we get these semantic errors. Therefore, while we can specify "God" as the greatest, omniscient, most moral being, we cannot actually conceive it to be true in reality, nor can we truly conceive it even in imagination. However, even if we can conceive God in imagination, it does not follow that we could conceive something greater if God does not exists, for this contradicts the imagination of God being the greatest.
The second problem is with the word "greater" in premise 2. It is unclear what greater refers to, as it is certainly not the same usage as in premise 1, where greatest means omniscience and most moral, since there is a categorical error in comparing imaginary with reality. For example, it is senseless to say that an imagined being that is omniscient is less omniscient than a real being with the same attributed omniscience. Thus, we reject premise 2 as a semantic fallacy; or at best, irrelevant, leading to an unsupported conclusion. The same problem exists in premise 3. It is unclear with what relevance omniscience has with necessary existence, such that the necessary existing being has greater omniscience than an otherwise equivalent being that is not necessarily existing.
Chiki said:
(1) Everything that exists contingently (depends on something else for its existence( has a reason for its existence.
(2) The universe exists contingently.
Therefore:
(3) The universe has a reason for its existence.
(4) If the universe has a reason for its existence then that reason is a necessary being
Therefore:
(5) A necessary being exists.
This argument is moronic. It is unclear what a "reason" refers to in premise 1, but if a reason is simply a prior state in a deterministic classical mechanics way, then the "necessary being" is merely history, and we're left with nothing profound at all, but a restatement of cause and effect.
katsucatsDec 21, 2015 2:52 AM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 21, 2015 2:59 AM

Jul 2015
To katsucats: First of all, it's worth noting that the argument I presented is widely accepted by many philosophers, all of whom are much more educated and intelligent than you, with degrees from places like Ivy League universities in philosophy, while you on the other hand are a community college student who hasn't taken a course in philosophy. I have no reason to take seriously anything you say, but I will respond to your argument for fun anyway.

For one, infinite is not actually a number, and it is inconceivable.

It is enough if you understand that infinity is neverending for the argument to work. I can't imagine what it means for PerpetualTrance to be happy, because I never met him and never went inside his head (maybe him being happy is different from myself being happy so I can't imagine it), but I can understand it, and being able to understand a concept is enough for the argument to go through.

It is unclear what greater refers to, as it is certainly not the same usage as in premise 1, where greatest means omniscience and most moral, since there is a categorical error in comparing imaginary with reality. For example, it is senseless to say that an imagined being that is omniscient is less omniscient than a real being with the same attributed omniscience. Thus, we reject premise 2 as a semantic fallacy; or at best, irrelevant, leading to an unsupported conclusion.

Look, no other philosopher in the world has said that the ontological argument has a semantic fallacy of this kind. It's highly unlikely that you're smarter than every other philosopher in history who has examined this argument, since you are a mere community college student while these philosophers have gotten PhDs in philosophy from Ivy League universities, so you are bound to be wrong.

And you are wrong about this. For Anselm, there are different levels of "being" or "greatness." Objects like rocks, etc. are at the lowest level. Humans are in the middle, while God is at the top. That's all that "greatness" means here.

This argument is moronic. It is unclear what a "reason" refers to in premise 1, but if a reason is simply a prior state in a deterministic classical mechanics way, then the "necessary being" is merely history, and we're left with nothing profound at all, but a restatement of cause and effect.

HAHA. Your community college education shows once again here, since many philosophers accept this argument and they all have PhDs from great universities.

We are left with something profound, but perhaps your poor education is not up to seeing what this profound thing is: we know that there is a self-causing necessary being who is the reason for its own existence, since there is no contingent being which causes its own existence. This necessary being could be like Stephen Hawking's reason for the Big Bang, i.e. there is nothing that is a true vacuum, even before the Big Bang there were particles that came out of "nothing" that hit each other. This "nothingness" could be the necessary being that we are looking for, and it is remarkable that science and philosophy arrive at a similar result.
Dec 21, 2015 3:02 AM

Oct 2012
Chiki said:
Why? It seems intuitively true that a God who is otherwise perfect would be better if he existed.
Existence isn't a property. Why would some concept be better if it happens to occur in reality? Its occurrence has no effect on the properties of the concept. And "better" in which way? Certainly, not better as in "greater" (usage in premise 1: omniscient, omnipotent, and most moral). One cannot be more omniscient and omnipotent than a being that is omniscient and omnipotent. If better refers to some subjective sense, then it is defeated by the Perfect Island.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 21, 2015 3:16 AM

Jul 2015
katsucats said:
Chiki said:
Why? It seems intuitively true that a God who is otherwise perfect would be better if he existed.
Existence isn't a property. Why would some concept be better if it happens to occur in reality? Its occurrence has no effect on the properties of the concept. And "better" in which way? Certainly, not better as in "greater" (usage in premise 1: omniscient, omnipotent, and most moral). One cannot be more omniscient and omnipotent than a being that is omniscient and omnipotent. If better refers to some subjective sense, then it is defeated by the Perfect Island.

Already said this LOLOLOLOL.

Another way out of the ontological argument is formal logic. If you accept formal logic's idea that existence is not a first-order predicate (you cannot say, God exists. You can only say, there is an x such that x is God) so you can't talk about its goodness or whatever. Then this version of the ontological argument doesn't follow.
Dec 21, 2015 3:21 AM

Oct 2012
Chiki said:
To katsucats: First of all, it's worth noting that the argument I presented is widely accepted by many philosophers, all of whom are much more educated and intelligent than you, with degrees from places like Ivy League universities in philosophy, while you on the other hand are a community college student who hasn't taken a course in philosophy. I have no reason to take seriously anything you say, but I will respond to your argument for fun anyway.
Your appeal to an anonymous authority impresses no one. Anyone can do this.

Chiki said:
For one, infinite is not actually a number, and it is inconceivable.

It is enough if you understand that infinity is neverending for the argument to work. I can't imagine what it means for PerpetualTrance to be happy, because I never met him and never went inside his head (maybe him being happy is different from myself being happy so I can't imagine it), but I can understand it, and being able to understand a concept is enough for the argument to go through.
Being able to understand a concept through linguistic approximation is not the same thing as being able to conceive of the possibility of a concept in reality. Take, for example, the number i, or an non-spatial, non-temporal afterlife. Anselm's argument requires a stronger conception, such that it could exist in reality. It is not enough for the argument to work to say that if we manipulate some words, we could get close to describing something that we could never directly think of.

Chiki said:
It is unclear what greater refers to, as it is certainly not the same usage as in premise 1, where greatest means omniscience and most moral, since there is a categorical error in comparing imaginary with reality. For example, it is senseless to say that an imagined being that is omniscient is less omniscient than a real being with the same attributed omniscience. Thus, we reject premise 2 as a semantic fallacy; or at best, irrelevant, leading to an unsupported conclusion.
Look, no other philosopher in the world has said that the ontological argument has a semantic fallacy of this kind. It's highly unlikely that you're smarter than every other philosopher in history who has examined this argument, since you are a mere community college student while these philosophers have gotten PhDs in philosophy from Ivy League universities, so you are bound to be wrong.
Look, this isn't even a rebuttal. Why don't you rejoin this conversation after you've proven yourself in the minor leagues. link

Chiki said:
And you are wrong about this. For Anselm, there are different levels of "being" or "greatness." Objects like rocks, etc. are at the lowest level. Humans are in the middle, while God is at the top. That's all that "greatness" means here.
This was not expressed in OP's argument; for if it were, it would greatly trivialize it. If Anselm's "greatness" is merely some subjective, arbitrary ladder based on no particular property, then it does not follow at all that a being that exists in reality must apparently be greater according to this definition. It impresses no one that we devise an arbitrary, uncommon definition for greatness.

Chiki said:
HAHA. Your community college education shows once again here, since many philosophers accept this argument and they all have PhDs from great universities.
We are left with something profound, but perhaps your poor education is not up to seeing what this profound thing is: we know that there is a self-causing necessary being who is the reason for its own existence, since there is no contingent being which causes its own existence. This necessary being could be like Stephen Hawking's reason for the Big Bang, i.e. there is nothing that is a true vacuum, even before the Big Bang there were particles that came out of "nothing" that hit each other. This "nothingness" could be the necessary being that we are looking for, and it is remarkable that science and philosophy arrive at a similar result.
It is remarkable, indeed, but what is remarkable is your resemblance towards philosophy as opposed to science, which is precisely the reason that I opted towards a science degree. Philosophers, it seems, are generally inferior thinkers. Neither the Big Bang, nor prior particles are a priori necessary existences--they are merely phenomena that have existed. Without observation, we could have assumed the universe to be infinitely regressive rather than concluding on some self-causing beginning. But perhaps the most remarkable aspect of your argument is that even if some particle is "God", that elucidates absolutely nothing, for in renaming the word "particle" to "God", you've made no point about the state of affairs. It is as empty as:
1) If it is true that strawberries are God
2) strawberries exist
3) Therefore God exists.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 21, 2015 3:22 AM

Oct 2012
Chiki said:
katsucats said:

Already said this LOLOLOLOL.
Another way out of the ontological argument is formal logic. If you accept formal logic's idea that existence is not a first-order predicate (you cannot say, God exists. You can only say, there is an x such that x is God) so you can't talk about its goodness or whatever. Then this version of the ontological argument doesn't follow.
Is it something to brag about these days when you refute your own posts? Man, has MAL fallen or what.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 21, 2015 4:20 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
Chiki said:

Why? It seems intuitively true that a God who is otherwise perfect would be better if he existed. What is good about a God who doesn't even exist? That's pointless.

As far as I'm aware, Anselm defined God as "greatest thing ever" and made zero mention of actual perfection.

http://www.revneal.org/Writings/anselms.htm

Anselm begins, as has already been stated, by rooting his Christian understanding of God within the following formula: "a being than which nothing greater can be thought." (p. 73) This is a greatness, not in size or space, but in perfection -- periection of intelligence, power, truth, love, all that makes perfection is found within this being. It should also be noted that this most perfect conceivable being is not, contrary to some thought, the most perfect being in existence. By simple definition, a most perfect being does exist; this being, however, may not be what Anselm posits as God. Therefore, rather than establishing that God is the most perfect being in existence, Anselm argues that God is so perfect that no more perfect being can even be conceived. This issue, while it sounds like the splitting of hairs, will become important when the objection of Gaunilo is addressed.

Anonymous? Really? Would you like me to give you papers of professors and such who agree with me?

Being able to understand a concept through linguistic approximation is not the same thing as being able to conceive of the possibility of a concept in reality. Take, for example, the number i, or an non-spatial, non-temporal afterlife. Anselm's argument requires a stronger conception, such that it could exist in reality. It is not enough for the argument to work to say that if we manipulate some words, we could get close to describing something that we could never directly think of.

You don't need to be able to think of it for the argument to go through, it's enough to just understand the concept. Ted Sider, the world's most well paid philosopher, agrees with me: http://tedsider.org/books/chapters_1_5.pdf

Go to page 19, first paragraph.

This was not expressed in OP's argument; for if it were, it would greatly trivialize it. If Anselm's "greatness" is merely some subjective, arbitrary ladder based on no particular property, then it does not follow at all that a being that exists in reality must apparently be greater according to this definition. It impresses no one that we devise an arbitrary, uncommon definition for greatness.

Of course it's based on properties, lol. Why are rocks worse than humans? Because of properties. It's not categorized just for fun. Use your brain.

It is remarkable, indeed, but what is remarkable is your resemblance towards philosophy as opposed to science, which is precisely the reason that I opted towards a science degree.

I'm actually going for a PhD in science rather than philosophy.

Neither the Big Bang, nor prior particles are a priori necessary existences--they are merely phenomena that have existed.

Why can't Stephen Hawking's conception of what is before the Big Bang be a necessary existence? Give me a reason.

But perhaps the most remarkable aspect of your argument is that even if some particle is "God", that elucidates absolutely nothing, for in renaming the word "particle" to "God", you've made no point about the state of affairs. It is as empty as:
2) strawberries exist
3) Therefore God exists.

In my argument, I never called particles "God," I called them a "necessary being." Lol.
Dec 21, 2015 4:54 AM

Mar 2008
I dont get how this is supposed to be hard to disprove. Even while unrested and partially intoxicated i found this whole thing not complicated.
Dec 21, 2015 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
traed said:
I dont get how this is supposed to be hard to disprove. Even while unrested and partially intoxicated i found this whole thing not complicated.

Well.. all of your counterarguments are wrong.

Doesn't matter, the Bible says so and Anselm is trying to prove the existence of the Christian God.

See my reply to katsucats about how it is irrelevant if you cannot imagine something. (Ted Sider actually brings up your own example about how hard it is to imagine nothingness)
Dec 21, 2015 5:11 AM

Oct 2012
Chiki said:
Anonymous? Really? Would you like me to give you papers of professors and such who agree with me?
It doesn't really matter who agrees with you.
Chiki said:
You don't need to be able to think of it for the argument to go through, it's enough to just understand the concept. Ted Sider, the world's most well paid philosopher, agrees with me: http://tedsider.org/books/chapters_1_5.pdf
Go to page 19, first paragraph.
Your quoted passage says this:
But understanding a topic of a question does not require being able to imagine that topic.
This is true. We do not need to be able to imagine something to be able to speak about it. That's why linguistic approximations exist, so that we could express various things that we could not imagine. For example, we could express quantum mechanics while not being able to fully conceive of it. But this is not applicable to Anselm's argument at all. Anselm's premises require that one is able to conceive of God, and only by being able to conceive God does the possibility of a real version of that conception follow. While we are able to speak about God according to Ted Sider, it does not pass the requirements by the Ontological Argument.
Chiki said:
Of course it's based on properties, lol. Why are rocks worse than humans? Because of properties. It's not categorized just for fun. Use your brain.
You could do well to explicitly describe the properties in question rather than leaving them up to subjective intuition, but as usual, your misunderstanding of basic ideas is apparent. There is no objective sense in which rocks are worse than humans, nor can any such comparison make sense when we start dealing with imaginary versus real rocks.
It should be noted that Anselm defines God as a "being than which nothing greater can be conceived". Suppose "greater" in this instance refers to the qualities typically attributed to God in Christian theology, such as the aforementioned omniscience, omnipotence, and utmost morality, capacity for love, etc. These senses of "greater" are meaningless when we compare an imaginary concept of God with the otherwise same concept, except one that really exists. For example, the imagined God is not any less omniscient, omnipotent, moral, or possess greater capacity for love than the identical God that is imagined to be real.
Next time you expound on some idea of Anselm, please make sure it is relevant.
Chiki said:
It is remarkable, indeed, but what is remarkable is your resemblance towards philosophy as opposed to science, which is precisely the reason that I opted towards a science degree.
I'm actually going for a PhD in science rather than philosophy.
Great. Perhaps you should change majors.
Chiki said:
Neither the Big Bang, nor prior particles are a priori necessary existences--they are merely phenomena that have existed.
Why can't Stephen Hawking's conception of what is before the Big Bang be a necessary existence? Give me a reason.
What is before the Big Bang is a necessary existence in our world, but not a necessary existence in all worlds, as it would have been referred to in philosophy, and certainly by Anselm. But saying that there is a necessary existence in our world in this manner says nothing but that something has existed, since everything that has existed is necessary. It is completely trivial.
Chiki said:
But perhaps the most remarkable aspect of your argument is that even if some particle is "God", that elucidates absolutely nothing, for in renaming the word "particle" to "God", you've made no point about the state of affairs. It is as empty as:
2) strawberries exist
3) Therefore God exists.
In my argument, I never called particles "God," I called them a "necessary being." Lol.
The word "being", by the way, typically refers to a subject, which Stephen Hawking should have never believed. Subatomic particles aren't intelligent. Whether they're "necessary beings" or "God" is as unimportant as strawberries or bananas.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 21, 2015 6:24 AM

Feb 2015
From a prophetic standpoint, an existent God who is the most perfect God imaginable is the one that people would want to exist. That's probably more important than the argument itself.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 21, 2015 7:05 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
Chiki said:

http://www.revneal.org/Writings/anselms.htm

And that's not actual perfection. The most perfect conceivable being is not necessarily the most perfect being. The most perfect conceivable being is just the greatest imaginable, not necessarily actual perfect. It would be unreasonable to say "It seems intuitively true that a God who is otherwise perfect would be better if he existed" with certainty unless God is actually perfect.

I don't agree with Anselm's premise: A being that exists as an idea in the mind and in reality is, other things being equal, greater than a being that exists only as an idea in the mind.

Intuition clearly shows us in many contexts something that exist solely as fiction is far better than it is in reality.

They are the same thing. The only way to show that they aren't is to come up with a counterexample. Can you come up with a most perfect being which is more than what we can conceive? I can't.

katsucats said:
It doesn't really matter who agrees with you.

Of course it does. People with PhDs in philosophy from Ivy League universities are much smarter and a better thinker than a community college student like yourself.

This is true. We do not need to be able to imagine something to be able to speak about it. That's why linguistic approximations exist, so that we could express various things that we could not imagine. For example, we could express quantum mechanics while not being able to fully conceive of it. But this is not applicable to Anselm's argument at all. Anselm's premises require that one is able to conceive of God, and only by being able to conceive God does the possibility of a real version of that conception follow. While we are able to speak about God according to Ted Sider, it does not pass the requirements by the Ontological Argument.

Um, no. "Conceive" means to think of, and the only way you can understand something is by thinking of it. Look at the dictionary lol. So if you understand something then you can conceive of it.

You could do well to explicitly describe the properties in question rather than leaving them up to subjective intuition, but as usual, your misunderstanding of basic ideas is apparent. There is no objective sense in which rocks are worse than humans, nor can any such comparison make sense when we start dealing with imaginary versus real rocks.
It should be noted that Anselm defines God as a "being than which nothing greater can be conceived". Suppose "greater" in this instance refers to the qualities typically attributed to God in Christian theology, such as the aforementioned omniscience, omnipotence, and utmost morality, capacity for love, etc. These senses of "greater" are meaningless when we compare an imaginary concept of God with the otherwise same concept, except one that really exists. For example, the imagined God is not any less omniscient, omnipotent, moral, or possess greater capacity for love than the identical God that is imagined to be real.
Next time you expound on some idea of Anselm, please make sure it is relevant.

Nah, it just means you're not sharp enough to think of what would make humans better than rocks for Anselm. A religious guy like Anselm gives importance to intelligence, agency, morality etc. none of which rocks have.

What is before the Big Bang is a necessary existence in our world, but not a necessary existence in all worlds, as it would have been referred to in philosophy, and certainly by Anselm. But saying that there is a necessary existence in our world in this manner says nothing but that something has existed, since everything that has existed is necessary. It is completely trivial.

I'm not talking about necessary existence in all worlds. Wtf are you talking about? I only care about what is necessary in our world.

"Since everything that has existed is necessary." What? LOL how do you come to that conclusion?

Anyway, when science and philosophy come to the same conclusion, it's not really a trivial result.

The word "being", by the way, typically refers to a subject, which Stephen Hawking should have never believed. Subatomic particles aren't intelligent. Whether they're "necessary beings" or "God" is as unimportant as strawberries or bananas.

LOLOLOL wrong as usual katsucats.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/being

the fact of existing; existence (as opposed to nonexistence).
Dec 21, 2015 7:58 AM

Oct 2012
Chiki said:
Anyway, when science and philosophy come to the same conclusion, it's not really a trivial result.
I'm sure science and philosophy can both come to the conclusion that 1+1=2. But I still consider it to be extremely trivial.
Dec 21, 2015 8:28 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
This is when linguistic approximation becomes relevant.

An actual perfect being is just a being given the description perfect. I don't need to conceive a perfect being to know that it is perfect and talk about it. A perfect conceivable being however is different in that I actually have to be able to imagine such a being.

For example:
The kindest person and the kindest conceivable person are two very different things. The former is a person who has the maximum kindness. I don't need to be able to conceive such a person to put it into words. The latter however has to exist in my head as an actual person who is very kind. For example, many would consider historical figures such as Mother Teresa, Buddha, Jesus, etc, as the kindest conceivable people. They would not qualify for the absolute kindest person however.

I wouldn't say that Mother Teresa, Jesus and Buddha are the kindest conceivable people. The kindest conceivable person is by definition someone who is maximally helpful, considerate and selfless. As long as you have the concepts of "maximal" and "kind" and "person" in your head, you can come up with the kindest conceivable person by using "maximal."

Bernkastel said:
Chiki said:

Ignoring the fact that science can be considered a philosophy, I have to strongly disagree that philosophical discourse can be put on the same level as science. Philosophy had been historically used to justify almost everything. Science on the other hand deals with a specific empirical methodology to see the world. In retrospect it seems like philosophy had come to the same conclusion as science using logic, but the reality is you simply copied conclusions from scientists. Most current philosophers were bought up with scientific education, hence share many views with scientists.

In my views as long as science comes up with the conclusion convincingly, it's not trivial. Whether philosophy agrees is essentially irrelevant.

I never said they're on the same level. All I said was that science and philosophy came to the same conclusion, regardless of their individual methods.

Laniaka said:
Chiki said:
I'm sure science and philosophy can both come to the conclusion that 1+1=2. But I still consider it to be extremely trivial.

1+1=2 isn't a trivial result EVEN IN math. Have you heard of the book Principia Mathematica, in which proving 1+1=2 takes Russell and Whitehead 300 pages?

Also, there is nothing trivial about a self-causing, self-reasoning (by reason I mean, it is its own reason) being.
Dec 21, 2015 8:34 AM

Oct 2012
Chiki said:
Laniaka said:

1+1=2 isn't a trivial result EVEN IN math. Have you heard of the book Principia Mathematica, in which proving 1+1=2 takes Russell and Whitehead 300 pages?
That sounds like a lot of wasted pages. I'm sure it wasn't just about that.
I don't know for sure about back then but at least nowadays it is common practice in mathematics to just define 2 to be 1+1. Which makes it trivial to conclude that 1+1=2.
LaniakaDec 21, 2015 8:39 AM
Dec 21, 2015 9:04 AM

Oct 2012
Bernkastel said:
Laniaka said:
I don't know for sure about back then but at least nowadays it is common practice in mathematics to just define 2 to be 1+1. Which makes it trivial to conclude that 1+1=2.

Na 1+1=2 is actually serious business. We're not trolling lol.
2=1+1 is just a notation and therefore trivial.
The non trivial definitions are those for 1 and for +.

Even if you feel different about this. The point I was trying to make is that science can come to trivial conclusions very easily. Like conclusions that follow from circular reasoning.
Dec 21, 2015 9:12 AM

Oct 2012
Bernkastel said:
Laniaka said:

Even if you feel different about this. The point I was trying to make is that science can come to trivial conclusions very easily. Like conclusions that follow from circular reasoning.

Just because 1+1=2 is common sense doesn't make it trivial. Many ideas now considered obvious were the result of serious thoughts and discoveries by past thinkers.

Science does not come to circular reasoning conclusions, the reason is obvious - all scientific discoveries are a posteriori. There is no "premise" to work with when all scientific discoveries are found.
I never said it is trivial because it is common sense.

I can follow a scientifically sound line of reasoning that leads me back to my assumptions. Which is circular reasoning.
Dec 21, 2015 9:19 AM

Jul 2015
Laniaka said:
Chiki said:

Lol. This is why people on MAL shouldn't comment on things they don't know about. None of the other professional mathematicians in the world find it stupid.

Mathematicians try to derive the results of all mathematics with the fewest number of axioms and definitions possible. Proving 1+1=2 is done by supposing that 0 is a natural number, that the successor of 0 is a natural number, that the successors of that are all natural numbers, and so on. Addition is defined in terms of the successor function.

From their 300 page book:

Bernkastel said:
Chiki said:

I wouldn't say that Mother Teresa, Jesus and Buddha are the kindest conceivable people. The kindest conceivable person is by definition someone who is maximally helpful, considerate and selfless. As long as you have the concepts of "maximal" and "kind" and "person" in your head, you can come up with the kindest conceivable person by using "maximal."

There's two things I can do:
1. Just think the phrase "kindest person" in my head.
2. Actually put a face and actions on that "kindest person".

The former doesn't require me to conceive the kindest person, it just requires me to understand what the term kindness and the term person means. The latter however does require me to conceive kindest person.

Well, you don't need to do the latter to conceive of the kindest possible person, and you also don't need to think of the actions of the maximally perfect being for the ontological argument to go through.
Dec 21, 2015 9:20 AM

Oct 2012
Bernkastel said:
Laniaka said:
I never said it is trivial because it is common sense.

Then why is 1+1=2 trivial? Because you said so? It's actually groundbreaking in the world of mathematics.
Bernkastel said:
Laniaka said:
I can follow a scientifically sound line of reasoning that leads me back to my assumptions. Which is circular reasoning.
Example?

I assume that A implies B, B implies C, C implies A.
Now I assume that A is true.
reasoning:
A implies B and A is true so B is true
B implies C and B is true so C is true
C implies A and C is true so A is true
conclusion:
A is true
Dec 21, 2015 9:31 AM

Oct 2012
Chiki said:
Mathematicians try to derive the results of all mathematics with the fewest number of axioms and definitions possible. Proving 1+1=2 is done by supposing that 0 is a natural number, that the successor of 0 is a natural number, that the successors of that are all natural numbers, and so on. Addition is defined in terms of the successor function.
Leaving aside whether you start at 0 or 1. That is generally how it is done. Which is why I said

You define the smallest natural number.
Then you define the +1 operation on it.
Then you get all natural numbers.
You have to proof that this works as expected and doesn't give any contradictions.

Then you define
2=1+1
3=2+1
4=etc.

The number two is just a notation for 1+1. So the statement 2=1+1 is trivial.

If you define things differently then the statement might become nontrivial which is why I said

Bernkastel said:
Laniaka said:
I assume that A implies B, B implies C, C implies A.
Now I assume that A is true.
reasoning:
A implies B and A is true so B is true
B implies C and B is true so C is true
C implies A and C is true so A is true
conclusion:
A is true

Uhh, that's not science? I asked you for a scientific example.
It's logic and logic is used in science.
Dec 21, 2015 9:37 AM

Oct 2012
Care to point out my mistake rather than just saying I'm wrong?

Science is about trying to create a logical model for reality. If your model doesn't fit with reality then you discard it and change your assumptions yeah.
Dec 21, 2015 9:45 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
Chiki said:

Well, you don't need to do the latter to conceive of the kindest possible person, and you also don't need to think of the actions of the maximally perfect being for the ontological argument to go through.

That's because Anselm used "God is the greatest conceivable" rather than "God is the greatest". The kindest possible person you can conceive is not equal to the kindest person.

If you don't include the word "conceivable" into Anselm's argument it just dies, because then I could just argue God is inconceivable and invalidate the reasoning.

Why isn't the kindest conceivable possible person not equal to the kindest possible person? The kindest conceivable person is the maximally kindest person. The kindest possible person is also the maximally kindest person.

You define the smallest natural number.
Then you define the +1 operation on it.
Then you get all natural numbers.
You have to proof that this works as expected and doesn't give any contradictions.

Then you define
2=1+1
3=2+1
4=etc.

The number two is just a notation for 1+1. So the statement 2=1+1 is trivial.

The successor function is not the addition function, though. The successor function is a one place function, S(x) = y. It maps x to y. But the addition function is a two-place function, A(x,y) = z. It maps x and y into z.

That's why it's a bit trickier than that to prove it!
Dec 21, 2015 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
No. The kindest conceivable person is not equal to the kindest person. Since we're talking about maths we can use this analogy:

The hardest maths problem you can conceive is not the absolute hardest problem in mathematics.

Maybe it's easier to think about the difference using this example?

De re/de dicto distinction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_dicto_and_de_re

To say that "I can conceive of the hardest math problem" has 2 potential meanings. What you're saying is the de re meaning, which refers to a particular math problem.

In the de dicto meaning, the one I am talking about, means that there is a maximally hard math problem and I can think of it, and that's all.
Dec 21, 2015 8:52 PM

Mar 2008
Chiki said:
traed said:

Well.. all of your counterarguments are wrong.

Doesn't matter, the Bible says so and Anselm is trying to prove the existence of the Christian God.

See my reply to katsucats about how it is irrelevant if you cannot imagine something. (Ted Sider actually brings up your own example about how hard it is to imagine nothingness)

Well then being in that state makes me feel more right then hah.

My first counterargument was not really meant to go after the argument but more so a commentary of how its meant only for the Christian god so the argument does not work on other types of gods. I brought it up more than I should have but i wanted to be consistent. I cant seem to find the comment to katsu about irrelevance of not being able to imagine something. I just see you arguing his semantic arguments.

Keep in mind my further clarification of how a greater mind capable of imagining a non-existence can be the same god.

If anselms argument is true then my counterargument has to be true
If my counterargument is true the argument is false
If the argument is false my counterargument is false
My counterargument being false does not make he argument become true
The argument is still false

It doesnt actually matter my counterargument does not work since it uses the same logic but it serves its intention. So how could that not be correct?
Dec 21, 2015 9:02 PM

Aug 2013
All this back and forth doesn't matter because none of you will ever know the truth end of the day. If God exists or doesn't no amount of argument or fallacies or paradoxes if going to change that original fact, even if it doesn't make sense to us logically we couldn't argue with reality.

Although If we truly discovered God exists and yet defies all our logic I bet it would blow a lot of peoples minds because they couldn't accept that it doesn't stick to their parameters of reality. I bet if people met God face to face there would still be people pointing fingers and trying to logic him out of existence even staring God in the face.

We see it all the time, scientists say something should be physically impossible and yet it happens. Or on the lighter side scientists theories and could probably write papers pages long about how some shark can't live near volcanic vents. I bet most of us would read their papers and agree with them, impossible they say and yet they found out that sharks do indeed live and thrive near volcanic vents a few years ago much to the utter confusion of those scientists who are still trying to figure out the why. I'm not a scientist I prefer to just wait and see and keep all options open. Never say never. People who make up logic arguments and stuff sound very convincing but they can use their arguments to logic out reality if they wanted deny the existence of elephants for example using their roundabout logic fallacies. I don't trust in such arguments.
SpooksDec 21, 2015 9:08 PM
Dec 21, 2015 9:04 PM

Mar 2015
Spooks said:
All this back and forth doesn't matter because none of you will ever know the truth end of the day. If God exists or doesn't no amount of argument or fallacies or paradoxes if going to change that original fact, even if it doesn't make sense to us logically we couldn't argue with reality.

Although If we truly discovered God exists and yet defies all our logic I bet it would blow a lot of peoples minds because they couldn't accept that it doesn't stick to their parameters of reality. I bet if people met God face to face there would still be people pointing fingers and trying to logic him out of existence even staring God in the face.

Thread winner right here :)
Dec 21, 2015 10:03 PM

Aug 2013
Daconator said:
Refering to science like this was possibly the worst you could have resorted to.
For one, science is the last thing you'll see to logic out reality.
Secondly, science is pretty much the best tool and approach available to understand the universe we live in. Saying I'm not a scientist I prefer to just wait and see and keep all options open may sound wise but, it's basically wilful ignorance.
Finally, if your belief on the existence of a deity is based on what science doesn't understand, then historically speaking, as deGrasse Tyson describes, your deity is basically a receding pocket of sciencific ignorance. And it will only get smaller as time moves on.

You misinterpret what im saying. The science part was because of the real world thing I was referencing to where scientists said it was impossible for sharks to live near these certain deep volcanic vents yet after actually going after all the theorizing it was impossible and looking in person they found, what else sharks thriving near the vents and they couldn't explain how or why this was happening. Had they stuck to their theories all of us now would believe it was still impossible and probably laugh at someone suggesting otherwise and probably quote back to all the scientists theory papers as proof its not real. So you see for everyone's best attempt to explain away things from behind a desk the only way anyone's going to know something for sure is to go and actually find out.

Which is the call back to the point that people can theorize all they want, work logic and their argument to fit their ideas but end of the day someone can utterly convince you that something that we haven't seen yet doesn't exist but that doesn't mean it ACTUALLY doesn't exist. Only difference is when you do eventually find it, you leave some guys seriously confused and checking their notes that read underlined "IMPOSSIBLE"

What im saying is the opposite of been closed minded or denouncing science its keeping your mind totally open to possibilities other would declare impossible until its actually proven that way. Until someone goes out and see's it whose to say this desert acid beetle can't survive in some location, whose to say there's not a giant cloud of alcohol floating out in space and whose to say those sharks can't survive near volcanic vents. The world, nature and the universe has a way of breaking the rules or proving us wrong all the time.

Now you can research and speculate till the end of time and you might be right but you might also be wrong, until you find out for sure.

Dr. Grant: I have a theory that there are two kinds of boys. There are those that want to be astronomers, and those that want to be astronauts. The astronomer, or the paleontologist, gets to study these amazing things from a place of complete safety.

Erik: But then you never get to go into space.

Dr. Grant: Exactly. That's the difference between imagining and seeing: to be able to touch them. And that's... that's all that Billy wanted.

I guess when it comes to me personally you can speculate and theorize all you want as long as you don't declare it as fact till you actually find it in reality as fact. Speculate all you want whats behind the mystery door but you'll only really know when you open it.
Writing a 20 page essay trying to convince us there's a car behind it won't make it anymore a reality when you open it and find a fridge. Didn't matter if the car made more sense to you because the fridge is the reality. Maybe you saw loads of car parts around making it seem like the car was the logical conclusion but if its a fridge, its a fridge.

So I guess im more of a, wait and see kind of person.
SpooksDec 21, 2015 10:40 PM
Dec 22, 2015 3:21 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
Chiki said:

De re/de dicto distinction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_dicto_and_de_re

To say that "I can conceive of the hardest math problem" has 2 potential meanings. What you're saying is the de re meaning, which refers to a particular math problem.

In the de dicto meaning, the one I am talking about, means that there is a maximally hard math problem and I can think of it, and that's all.

Anselm's argument is most definitely de re. Because he asks about the greatest thing imaginable. This being must actually exist in the mind as an imaginable entity.

It sure seems like that, because Anselm has God in mind, and he's talking about proving God's existence.

But notice that even on the de dicto reading of the argument, you can still prove God's existence, since by definition, a maximally perfect being HAS to be God anyway.
Dec 22, 2015 4:27 AM

Mar 2008
If Anselm was alive. I probably would not want be friends.
Dec 22, 2015 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
Spooks said:
People who make up logic arguments and stuff sound very convincing but they can use their arguments to logic out reality if they wanted deny the existence of elephants for example using their roundabout logic fallacies. I don't trust in such arguments.

As Daconator pointed out, your argument makes no sense. No, you're not defending the existence of elephants vs blindfolded people, you're defending the existence of something that nobody ever saw. Sorry but it makes a huge difference.

Bring me an elephant first, then your argument will actually hold some weight.
Dec 22, 2015 5:11 AM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:
Chiki said:
But notice that even on the de dicto reading of the argument, you can still prove God's existence, since by definition, a maximally perfect being HAS to be God anyway.

That's true, but the question is whether the maximal perfect being ought exist... If his third point (physical existence is greater than no existence) doesn't stand, then sure that maximal perfect being HAS to be God, but it might not exist outside the mind.

Wasn't the question whether or not you could conceive of the maximally perfect being/maximally kind person? If you take the de dicto reading, I showed that you could, so the ontological argument goes through.
Dec 22, 2015 7:31 AM

Jan 2008
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
"God is that, than which nothing greater can be conceived.… And [God] assuredly exists so truly, that it cannot be conceived not to exist. For, it is possible to conceive of a being which cannot be conceived not to exist; and this is greater than one which can be conceived not to exist. Hence, if that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, can be conceived not to exist, it is not that, than which nothing greater can be conceived. But this is an irreconcilable contradiction. There is, then, so truly a being than which nothing greater can be conceived to exist, that it cannot even be conceived not to exist; and this being thou art, O Lord, our God."

Isn't this a description of the limits of human consciousness?

I'm guessing an 'infinite' consciousness which contains the totality of the universe would be synonymous with the actual universe, given an infinite mind would be unthinking.
Dec 22, 2015 7:40 AM

Mar 2008
Zuggy said:
Isn't this a description of the limits of human consciousness?

I'm guessing an 'infinite' consciousness which contains the totality of the universe would be synonymous with the actual universe, given an infinite mind would be unthinking.

In Christianity God is not the universe, but is present in all the universe and considered greater than the universe. It gets confusing a bit. Just think of God like a property rather than an object and its easier to imagine. There is no reason an infinite mind could be unthinking that I can think of, however there is nothing that is known to be infinite except for possibly nothing itself.
Dec 22, 2015 8:16 AM

Jan 2008
traed said:
In Christianity God is not the universe, but is present in all the universe and considered greater than the universe. It gets confusing a bit. Just think of God like a property rather than an object and its easier to imagine. There is no reason an infinite mind could be unthinking that I can think of, however there is nothing that is known to be infinite except for possibly nothing itself.

My reasoning (I use this word lightly) is that conscious thinking requires stuff to operate on. This can be stuff outside your mind or in it.

If you had an infinite consciousness that could self-delineate, i.e. able to think about parts of itself, then that process would mean it was no longer infinite. That's what I mean when I say an infinite mind would be unthinking.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by R-unknown »»
29 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

667 by Crawlie »»
48 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 11 hours ago

23 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 8 hours ago

11 by Adverrito »»
2 hours ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

35 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.