Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 17, 2015 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
Damn I wanted her to die or spend the rest of her life in prison so bad lol.

This was a nice show, while the pacing was slow at times, it still kept you engaged which was nice. The only problem I have with this show was that magata got away with murdering her mother, father, uncle, and her own daughter at the end which pissed me off a bit, but other than that it was nice.

7/10
removed-userDec 17, 2015 12:56 PM
Dec 17, 2015 12:55 PM

Jun 2012
Mediocre but not bad. I had high expectations after the first two episodes but it didnt really deliver. Havent seen a satisfying mystery anime in a long time.

Moe was annoying too
Dec 17, 2015 1:11 PM
Jan 2015
Existentialism (and nihilism) at its finest. Magata was probably a bit schizo since she was talking to dead people. She was able to predict their exact answers (imo) though due to her high intelligence.
She killed her parents in order to grant freedom to her uncle which he refused. Until, 15 years later, he accepted Shiki's version of freedom, similar thing with her daughter. In her mind even the fact that you must be alive compromises your freedom, which in an extreme way of thinking is right.
It pleases me to see that the series left people both satisfied and unsatisfied. It wasn't just a mystery anime, it had A LOT food for thought and in a sence you are free to decide if it was right or wrong, proving to everyone that right and wrong are abstract concepts determined only by each individual.
nihikunDec 17, 2015 1:34 PM
Dec 17, 2015 1:16 PM

Sep 2015
Good opening + good ending + good art + good story (but some episodes were quite confusing/annoying)

= Good anime

= 7
Dec 17, 2015 1:38 PM
Jul 2011
A hipster show with hateable characters is bad. Who would have thought?

Sakurako beats this anime in every way possible. I just hope it can end with a satisfying finale unlike this one.
Dec 17, 2015 1:49 PM

Dec 2013
As entertaining as watching paint dry. The ED is just pure perfection though.
Dec 17, 2015 1:52 PM
Jun 2015
Decent series. Brought up some controversial topics and themes, and it actually took the time to dive in and explore them. Say what you want, but that's actually pretty rare nowadays, especially for a short series like this. Props given.
okqoiwfklweDec 17, 2015 5:00 PM
Dec 17, 2015 1:55 PM

Dec 2014
It was slow for too long and then once it finally got going it just wasn't entertaining enough. The characters weren't all that interesting and that's what this whole show was about. Boring characters with slow pacing and a meh plot gets you a pretty boring show. At least the OP and ED were good.

5/10
Dec 17, 2015 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
Great wrap up episode, liked the OST.

The biggest strength of the show was the atmosphere and direction. While I felt like there wasn't a lot happening for the first 5 or so episodes, the pay off at episode 10 was ultimately worth it. It really gave me a strong sensation of fear and just generally being creep-ed out, with the revelation of Magata's daughter. I just did not see that coming, although I thought maybe her sister was Magat herself since that's not an unusal plot twist in stories like this.

The main problem the show had was Moe's character. She is so out of place, and very annoying. I don't feel like she added a lot to the show. And while I understand her clingy and needy attitude to Saikawa, it was still annoying. She could have been presented a lot better. I just couldn't care or be emotional invested with her backstory, found it quite dull.

I found some topics and themes interesting, while some I didn't particularly care. I was very engaged when Saikawa was talking about people being contradiction, because I always thought the same, and it's the first time I've seen it being mentioned in a show. So I appreciated that. I don't think it's necessary to make sense of Magata actions, they are meant to be logical by normal standards but more about philosophy and an abnormal environment that shaped her way of thinking.

Pacing could have been better but again the slow burn to episode 10 and 11, makes it all worth it imo. 8/10
tsudecimoDec 17, 2015 2:01 PM
Dec 17, 2015 2:01 PM
Dec 2013
Feels like the show went out with a fizzle.
Dec 17, 2015 2:01 PM

Jan 2013
Welp. I really liked Moe and her interactions with Souhei. Now if only the solution to the mystery wasn't this incomepetent and dumb...

This year of Noitamina sure was quite bad
Not one presentable show in their line up.

sigh
Dec 17, 2015 2:09 PM
Jun 2015
Faylicia said:
I really don't understand the logic of Magata-sensei. I just think she's crazy. What did she want to be free from? I can understand why she killed her parents but I don't understand why her uncle/lover and she herself had to be killed... I don't understand anything. Also does Saikawa-sensei want to be like her or does he not? I mostly relate to Nishinosono because come on, nothing makes sense. Magata-sensei doesn't make sense she just seems evil she is not pure at all... I don't know maybe they mean freedom from any rules? like "you mustn't kill" free from love free from hate... but was she really like that? I don't know I don't understand it, can someone explain please?
Overall kind of disappointed by these series to be honest. I expected more.

lol kinda excactly my thoughts.I got hooked on this show coz of the fact magata was supposed to be a genius and how the murder was carried out.Especially the body scene kinda surprised me.But was dissapointed as well from how it played out especially the ''logic''.

The genius just seemed to me an average skank evil crazy chick,that nothing made sense,same with Saikawa sensei.

Some people say there's ''deeper'' meaning etc.....i guess its like some comedy shows that people stare at a painting that shows a cow taking a dump and art critics talk how ''deep'' the painting is when its just cow's poo lol.

Its the same thing here i think when it comes to how the chars are thinking/saying, you supposed to say ''damn too deep for me'' when it is just an example of a crazy incest/murder case.

There was a documentary about a serial killer in my country, it surprised me actually that magata's way of thinking about ''freedom'' reminded me alot of what the killer was talking about^^.
Dec 17, 2015 2:15 PM

Mar 2008
nihikun said:
Existentialism (and nihilism) at its finest. Magata was probably a bit schizo since she was talking to dead people. She was able to predict their exact answers (imo) though due to her high intelligence.
She killed her parents in order to grant freedom to her uncle which he refused. Until, 15 years later, he accepted Shiki's version of freedom, similar thing with her daughter. In her mind even the fact that you must be alive compromises your freedom, which in an extreme way of thinking is right.
It pleases me to see that the series left people both satisfied and unsatisfied. It wasn't just a mystery anime, it had A LOT food for thought and in a sence you are free to decide if it was right or wrong, proving to everyone that right and wrong are abstract concepts determined only by each individual.

I salute to your awesome insight.
Dec 17, 2015 2:20 PM

Feb 2013
The OST, the animation and the story were amazing. I've really enjoyed the anime.
And really loved the last episode too, damn Magata was soooo crazy.
9/10
Dec 17, 2015 2:21 PM

Sep 2015
Dull as hell
Dec 17, 2015 2:22 PM

May 2013
I'm kinda underwhelmed in the ending but nice episode overall. I really liked the dialogue between Shiki and her daughter and Sohei and Moe.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Dec 17, 2015 2:23 PM

Jul 2009
Well it was interesting but maybe (just maybe) it could be a little better with more episodes.

I give it a 6.5/10
Dec 17, 2015 2:24 PM

Oct 2012
So she took-in even her uncle to her multiple personalities in the end, what a interesting end.
I enjoyed the clever art and camera direction of this series and its mood grew on me literally since the first episode. Also, nothing was pushed directly into your face which is also something I liked.
Although this time the last scene (and the scene where Magata vanished) felt a little abrupt - what was the purpose of those two image freezes? Dunno.

Anyway, I really liked this conversation-driven and thoughtprovoking drama. Bit philosophical too.
And characters, their interactions - mainly Saikawa, Moe and Magata's were so well-written. They felt very real to me, that's something not many anime can do.
There were many interesting questions dealing with shades of grey in this series and I really liked its thematic uncorrectness. One has to try to view the life through Magata's eyes to fully understand how she saw the world. Moral ambiguity of our actions and nihilism as main themes of this anime were very interesting topics.

7-8/10 Good mystery anime but even better criticism of our subconscious dependence on our modern society that governs what we think as good or wrong since our very birth.
Dec 17, 2015 2:31 PM

May 2014
TheNaturalPerm said:
Welp. I really liked Moe and her interactions with Souhei. Now if only the solution to the mystery wasn't this incomepetent and dumb...

sigh

? Saekano is very good
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2015 2:32 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Overall decent ending to a good series. At times it did feel like this anime when barely anywhere, but in the end it was satisfying enough. It would have been better if this was a 2-hour movie rather than a 1-cour anime series.

3/5 for this episode.
7/10 for this series.
Dec 17, 2015 2:37 PM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Probably best mystery anime of 2015
Dec 17, 2015 2:50 PM

Apr 2011
Everyone in this thread is so triggered by a good show.
Dec 17, 2015 2:56 PM

Jan 2014
So it seems that at the end her daughter and her uncle became new personalities of hers, correct? since they also died.
Dec 17, 2015 3:05 PM

Oct 2010
Overall just another predictable closed-box mystery anime that tried to be more than what it was. 8/10 for visuals and likable characters mostly.
Dec 17, 2015 3:16 PM

Aug 2014
Excellent story! ^.^
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Dec 17, 2015 3:54 PM

Oct 2011
Magata disappeared in the end? 0____0
Dec 17, 2015 4:02 PM

Oct 2015
They can say Magata's a genius whose intelligence is on a higher plane all they want, I still think she was just schizophrenic. She keeps taking on the persona of people that die around her. Even her uncle at the very end. Also, was is specified if she did indeed kill her
daughter? And was she really apprehended and killed or did she get away?

All in all, throughout the opposing exchanges and convoluted, almost nonsensical ideologies, I thoroughly enjoyed this anime. The characters were likable, the themes were intriguing, the music was great, the character designs were unique and the atmosphere was duly fitting. 8/10 for me and one of the better anime of this season. Not that there's much competition tbh.
Dec 17, 2015 4:10 PM
Jun 2012
Mm. I think the attempts at philosophy in the show were rather weak. Amateur stuff that would have been better if the author had consulted someone in the field first. The personal interaction where better, but they can't carry the show. And in the end this is supposed to be a mystery show.

And as mystery, it was not good enough. The main mistake was violating one of 'rules' of mysteries; the reader (viewer) should have the same information as the 'detective'. Breaking the rules are fine, but they exist for a reason, so one should have a better reason for doing so. Here, the flashbacks gave the viewer so much extra information that the entire case became trivial. That ruins a lot of the fun. And really don't see the need for those flashbacks. They could have been removed, shortening the anime by one episode, and then been released as a one episode special released after the ned.

That said, it wasn't part of the 90%, so I still have to say I liked it.
Dec 17, 2015 4:16 PM
Sep 2013
Helpme said:

And as mystery, it was not good enough. The main mistake was violating one of 'rules' of mysteries; the reader (viewer) should have the same information as the 'detective'. Breaking the rules are fine, but they exist for a reason, so one should have a better reason for doing so.

This is not adaptation of mystery novel but mystery novel plus characters background stories novels.Those flash back are not in the mystery novel but in the backgrounds story novels.

I mean majority of the Japanese audience who bother to watch subetega f ninaru anime adaptation either have read novel or have watched live action.So putting emphasis on being ''fair'' as mystery does not have much meaning.It is more important to put extra information for people already know the story to watch ''anime'' version.
umashikanekoDec 17, 2015 4:27 PM
Dec 17, 2015 4:17 PM
Jun 2013
overall the part where they were trying to figure out who the killer was was done well. The whole philosophical part was an attempt to "take thing higher" but murder is just wrong, period.
Dec 17, 2015 4:20 PM

Feb 2012
I've played Resident Evil games that had better writing than this. And I don't even like Resident Evil (and not just because the gameplay is awful).
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Dec 17, 2015 4:31 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Pretty interesting overall.
But it's gonna be forgotten really fast tho.
7.5/10.
But i can't.
So, 8.
Lucasloco91 said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

sigh

? Saekano is very good
Its average af
But hey, at least it wasnt the worst in these 4.
DatRandomDudeDec 17, 2015 4:42 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 17, 2015 4:56 PM

Sep 2013
I don't get the meaning of the last scene, when Magata talking alone
Dec 17, 2015 5:05 PM

Nov 2011
She mentions someones name at the end...Kishio and she mentions Michiru and her Uncle...who the heck was Kishio?!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 17, 2015 5:09 PM

Nov 2014
A couple more general observations after re-watching this episode.

When Shiki is talking to Souhei in the real world, her views are very antinatalist. Life is a hindrance; death is liberation. However, in the flashbacks when she's talking to her daughter, her words are more optimistic and encouraging, particularly during the camel back ride in—I'm assuming—the virtual world (one of the most beautiful anime scenes ever); these thoughts are extended into—again, assuming—a kitchen back in her lab in the real world. Did the lab have a kitchen? I can't remember.

I also understand why these scenes were so sad to me now. Shiki's optimism turned into a coldness that she fully embraced, then passed on to her daughter. And then it ends with Shiki alone, after having killed everyone close to her, having a schizophrenic conversation with herself. It's really depressing.

8/10 overall

And it's about time I add Kenji Kawai to my favorite people list.
Dec 17, 2015 5:11 PM

Jul 2009
So...did she have twins and that's the one that was dead?

This show is still about child abuse imo. ABUSE I SAY! Saikawa stop thinking about that psycho.
Dec 17, 2015 5:12 PM

May 2015
Decent ending. This show did not disappoint, definitely one of the better shows this season. The mystery in this show was pretty damn great. Also, loved both the OP and ED. 8/10.

Dec 17, 2015 5:12 PM

Jun 2013
i liked their dialogue at the beginning ovarall it was a nice anime to watch
Dec 17, 2015 5:24 PM

Oct 2012
MoonStar9 said:
They can say Magata's a genius whose intelligence is on a higher plane all they want, I still think she was just schizophrenic.

Yes, she was schizophrenic. And she was genius too. And geniuses often has problem with their social life.
In fact, this whole series was about her unability to sucessfully integrate into society. She didn't understand its rules. Because of her "gift" she felt like she belongs to nowhere. She was left alone and the world didn't understand her.

Her world and values were totally different from other people. And the real question here is "who decides what rules are correct?" Does "majority" just dictate those rules to "minority"? Imagine the world when her rules were in effect and where rules of our modern society were oulawed. How would you feel then?

This series takes her difference as a fact and tries to show it from her viewpoint. It doesn't try to judge her and I really appreciate it becuse viewer should be the one who makes all final judging.
Dec 17, 2015 5:48 PM

Jan 2013
I really enjoyed this anime...but ultimately it was pretty messed up. I wasn't a big fan of the last scene of mother and daughter. Was it beautiful? Sure...but then I recall that mom chopped off her daughter's limbs and well...that's pretty f'ed. The philosophical garble was interesting but excused a cold hearted genius from facing the consequences of her actions.

Did anyone else check out the crazy eye on the camel they were riding! Hah.. It captured my attention.
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Dec 17, 2015 6:05 PM

Jan 2015
A chapel is shown during Nishinosono-kun's talk with Saikawa-sensei . A chapel was also featured in Episodes 9 and 10 of the live-action drama version of Subete ga F ni naru.
Dec 17, 2015 6:15 PM

Jan 2013
[quote=Mich666]
MoonStar9 said:
They can say Magata's a genius whose intelligence is on a higher plane all they want, I still think she was just schizophrenic.

Yes, she was schizophrenic. And she was genius too. And geniuses often has problem with their social life.
In fact, this whole series was about her unability to sucessfully integrate into society. She didn't understand its rules. Because of her "gift" she felt like she belongs to nowhere. She was left alone and the world didn't understand her.

I think she was more of a psychopath. She manipulated everyone around her...she seduced her uncle, (although it was molestation, she was not a victim), killed her parents, killed her uncle, and killed her daughter. She was a spoiled child who toyed and destroyed people like she did her doll.

"Because of her "gift" she felt like she belongs nowhere." I don't think she has the emotional capacity to feel or care in the slightest if the "world" understood her.
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Dec 17, 2015 6:17 PM

Aug 2013
The anime itself was OK, it's a 5.5 or 6 to me, but the pacing, some dialogues and the mystery makes it more an averege anime, but the great animation (seriously enjoyed the designs and some of the effects like the 'Accommodation' or however it's called) and the music (both op and ed are great).
Anyways, it's definitely not a master piece but neither a bad anime, you'll just enjoy it if you like philosophical and mystery stuff.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Dec 17, 2015 6:28 PM

Jul 2015
That last scene really creeps me out. So if she kills more...........?

Still was a good show to watch, but not really worth 11 episodes. I guess it may just be for those who've read/seen the original sources.

Dec 17, 2015 6:32 PM
Dec 2015
For anyone who didn't understand the last scene just before the credits....I think i figured it out!
1. We saw that Magata escaped (yet again lol xD) with the help of sensai's guards during the episode, so we can safely assume that she probably left to be somewhere safe away from the police
2. Magata said that her reason for everything was to be free and during all her conversations with sensai their talk related to the ocean or beach or sea
3. At the end of the episode we see Magata at the beach sitting beside a empty seat supposedly talking to 'herself' since no one else is obviously there....but we can see that she believes/thinks she is talking to her daughter and lover (her uncle) since she addresses them and mentions their names
4. I think the end of the episode is basically showing where Magata is now. She's free. And we CAN assume the scene is set in the present becuase her daughter and lover are not in the scene showing that they are dead and no longer in this world....which is why Magata is talking to herself/to her dead loved ones.
Dec 17, 2015 7:01 PM

Mar 2013
Aw shit. Magata Shiki trolled everyone from the first episode to the last. Such a philosopher, multifaceted and mysterious character like her didn't deserve a disastrous death but has to pay everything she has done nonetheless. Although a psychiatric hospital or perpetual confinement wouldn't stop her, and ironically a death sentence would release her, making possible to achieve her goal.
My only regret was because of Nishinosono, although she wasn't expecting anything from Saikawa, she definitely needed more attention.
Still, very good work from A-1 Pictures, the research around the murder was very entertaining to watch every week though I was left with some doubts. I don't know if it was intentional by the script or were just plot holes.
Anyway, another favorite for the mystery genre. Excellent opening and ending, interesting characters (my favorite was definitely Saikawa) and enjoyable as a whole. Liked every episode from first to last and never got bored, not even for five minutes. 8/10
Dec 17, 2015 7:50 PM

Sep 2014
lol, i just laugh together with Saikawa-sensei when he realize that she trick him(us) again, from the very beginning the characters always says that Magata Shiki is a genius, but i was still holding doubts, until the lasts episodes when all the truth comes to surface, heck, she IS Truly a genius, i think most of ppl still don't realize that she actually made the infamous "perfect crime" (i assume that "the perfect insider" has this as a basis) well, she have quite a long time to plan every little detail, so you can say that was expected too, lol, annyway, she is awesome, and like everyone says, "Every genius has a bit of madness" the last scene is all about it, explendid! *.*
A life is a history with no end...it continues to be told by others endless.
We do not own lives, we own histories!
Dec 17, 2015 8:40 PM

Jan 2011
I really liked the atmosphere from this show, it just worked so well. I felt so meh about the solution though. The whole you couldn't possibly understand what Magata Shiki is thinking felt like they just couldn't come up with any real justification for her actions. I was looking to give it an 8 but in the last 3 episodes I just wasn't feeling it so I'll give it a 7.
Dec 17, 2015 8:51 PM
Jun 2015
This show is good, but I think they could have done a better job at executing the mystery portion of the show. I don't care that Shiki is a genius, I don't think anyone could trust a murderer to create the same operating system that houses them in a prison. Another issue is nothing is said about DNA in the show, the uncle doesn't seem to have an alibi for being at the scene of the crime 15 years ago. If it was based on the novel time frame in the 1990s it might have been easier to waive, but not in 2000s.
15poundfishDec 18, 2015 12:37 AM
Dec 17, 2015 8:53 PM

Jun 2008
bdsbff said:
It was slow for too long and then once it finally got going it just wasn't entertaining enough. The characters weren't all that interesting and that's what this whole show was about. Boring characters with slow pacing and a meh plot gets you a pretty boring show. At least the OP and ED were good.

5/10

I agree with all of this.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

278 by wildhood »»
Mar 8, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2015

175 by 0arche »»
Jan 10, 9:11 AM

» For anyone who want to know why shiki escaped the island and her story in light novel

Baoyeuconpo9999 - Mar 10, 2023

3 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Mar 11, 2023 8:59 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

172 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 11:06 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

184 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 9:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.