Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 18, 2015 12:42 PM
Jun 2015
Ikarugax said:
Faylicia said:
I really don't understand the logic of Magata-sensei. I just think she's crazy. What did she want to be free from? I can understand why she killed her parents but I don't understand why her uncle/lover and she herself had to be killed... I don't understand anything. Also does Saikawa-sensei want to be like her or does he not? I mostly relate to Nishinosono because come on, nothing makes sense. Magata-sensei doesn't make sense she just seems evil she is not pure at all... I don't know maybe they mean freedom from any rules? like "you mustn't kill" free from love free from hate... but was she really like that? I don't know I don't understand it, can someone explain please?
Overall kind of disappointed by these series to be honest. I expected more.

Well, the idea of attaining freedom by being dead relies in the understanding of the inherent limitations on being alive. Like being attached to a body or being attached to other persons in a emotional manner, all those things can also be interpreted as "chains" of ones existence. Also you could understand those ideas through some forms of Buddhism ideologies where life is seen like an illusion or a dream, and one must awaken to the true reality by detaching from the material world, you must even abandon 'yourself'.

Then you have to take in account she's an intellectually gifted girl so her understanding of the world is expected to be somewhat radical. So when Saikawa describes her as a 'pure' person is because she isn't bound to moral norms (or at least she doesn't follow a conventional and socially accepted moral code). That's why, from her point of view, she genuinely believes to be doing something "good" by killing all those persons close to her. However there's this whole melancholic feeling so she could also had been motivated by her loneliness and sadness.

So if Saikawa admires her is because on a first instance he identifies with her because he's also posses a high intelligence that isolates him. Although even Saikawa doesn't fully understand Magata I'd say what he admires from her would be her resolve as well as her super intelligence, he's not on her level but he's intelligent enough to appreciate what she has done better than anyone. That's why they get along well and why he looks up to her. He also feels restricted or limited in a sense, so he also wants to be "free" but he isn't going to necessarily follow the same steps than Magata and going to kill everyone around him; that's something he still needs to figure it out on his own.

And thats where the problem is......In your second paragraph when you try to explain it does not make sense :

''Then you have to take in account she's an intellectually gifted girl so her understanding of the world is expected to be somewhat radical.''
Her understanding of the world is not radical as shown in the anime just crazy.Also being a genius in science =/= crazy or mentaly ill,there are many examples of geniuses that had tremendous impact in science/life whose theories and work were indeed radical and revolutionary,from ancient mathematicians to modern age Physicists. Magata wasnt shown like this.

''So when Saikawa describes her as a 'pure' person is because she isn't bound to moral norms (or at least she doesn't follow a conventional and socially accepted moral code). That's why, from her point of view, she genuinely believes to be doing something "good" by killing all those persons close to her. However there's this whole melancholic feeling so she could also had been motivated by her loneliness and sadness. ''
What you describe here is just about any serial killer/terrorist/criminal that is not ''bound'' by morals or follows a conventional and socially moral code that has nothing to do with being pure.

The anime just uses the usual trick look ''Magata is a one and only genius,isolated from the world'' so what she does with her life has actually deeper meaning.....
When at the end if you look at it,its just a case of a human been mentally ill and nothing more.

If you actually google up you gonna see that most geniuses were not crazy like you see in movies^^.Well just an opinion.
Dec 18, 2015 12:57 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Simply did not deliver on the promise of the premise. Tried to be way to clever and ended up being a bit of a convoluted mess. I assume the source material presents the mystery much better.

I'd love to see more of this artists character designs though (he's the mangaka who did Oyasumi Punpun).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 18, 2015 1:20 PM

Feb 2015
instead of great episode, it was a weird episode? i don't know what to say. Solid 9 for this anime!

It was a really nice ride to be honest. Character design was weird but overall it was good enough. the plot was really good and same with the soundtrack too.
i like the way Magata thinks about something. i really like her word in this episode, but still the fact that she killed his own husband and daughter is still wrong to me.
and i still confused about the murdered case. in the end, who has been killed? i think her daughter. and how can magata appeared in the helicopter? She escaped first and went up to the rooftop and wait for the director, and for some reason the director knew that she will escape. HAHAHA....i laughed so hard before like Souhei after knew that.

i like the way Magata thinks about life. That's all.
the reason why she killed her daughter and husband because she want to be free? that is just a crazy reason to me more like it was a wrong thing. you want to be free so you kill your own daughter and husband? not making any sense.

Great anime overall, 9/10
Thank you for the show A-1 Pictures :D.
YizelTroDec 18, 2015 1:33 PM
Dec 18, 2015 3:13 PM

Oct 2015
ichii_1 said:
Magata called from Tokyo? :O
Maybe she did download her Michiru personality into it :O

9/10, needs more anime like this.

MoonStar9 said:
They can say Magata's a genius whose intelligence is on a higher plane all they want, I still think she was just schizophrenic.

When you're as smart as her, then maybe your opinion would be worth something.
It's like an ape trying to understand Einsteins theories.

Did you just compare me to an ape for questioning a made-up character who's supposed to be a genius, written by an obviously not genius author? Stick to memes mate. Discussion is clearly not your forte.
Dec 18, 2015 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
I kind of hoped that she would get away in the end and she did, I actually started laughing with Saikawa when I realized that lol. She was a genius from the start and it was actually pretty awesome to see her outsmart everyone else. I do think this anime was a little too slow at times but I'll have that any day over a rushed annoying ending, I hope for more mystery series like this!
Dec 18, 2015 5:59 PM

May 2015
Someone needs to quote everything that Magata said while on that camel. Amazing.
Dec 18, 2015 7:00 PM

Jul 2010
I'm going to be generous and give it a 6/10.Pretty sure if it was a 2h anime movie focused on only important story parts i could give it even 8/10.11 episodes tho were too much for this series.LOTS of unnecessary and dragged out scenes.Nishinosono was one of the most annoying characters this year too.
Best part of this show was it's ED without any doubt.Absolutely amazing, one of my favorites this year.
Dec 19, 2015 12:13 AM

Dec 2010
This show is such a disappointment because I had such high hopes for it.

The sealed room mystery aspect was delicious, whilst the animation and especially the opening was fresh and unique.

This show was however let down by the many internal inconsistencies and utter abandonment of logic. For example, how is it that no one noticed that Dr. Magata did not have a sister? Even more shockingly, how is it that the director's wife, who is Dr. Magata's aunt not realise the same thing?

The mens rea for the killings is an even larger gaping hole in the structure of the whole story, which they tried to hide behind the "Dr. Magata is insane so she doesn't have to make sense" trope.

Dr. Magata says that death is the cure to the disease called life, and admitted that she performed the serial killings so that she could die/experience freedom. She then claims that being killed is an expression of love, and she would like to be killed by someone. Lets assume we apply her logic- she killed her own daughter and the Director because she loved them- why wait 15 years? And why kill the only 2 people who are remotely likely to grant her wish of being killed? Why go to such lengths to hide her role in the killings and to escape from the lab?

The simple answer is, this is pure rubbish and cloaking it with pseudo-philosophical questions does not make it more acceptable. If you want a good murder story read Agatha Christie, don't bother with this crap.
Dec 19, 2015 1:44 AM

Jan 2015
MoonStar9 said:
They can say Magata's a genius whose intelligence is on a higher plane all they want, I still think she was just schizophrenic. She keeps taking on the persona of people that die around her. Even her uncle at the very end. Also, was is specified if she did indeed kill her
daughter? And was she really apprehended and killed or did she get away?

All in all, throughout the opposing exchanges and convoluted, almost nonsensical ideologies, I thoroughly enjoyed this anime. The characters were likable, the themes were intriguing, the music was great, the character designs were unique and the atmosphere was duly fitting. 8/10 for me and one of the better anime of this season. Not that there's much competition tbh.

Yeah, she's crazy, that's the whole point. But the thing is that it is infact 'her crazyness' what has driven her to a distorted vision of freedom and reality. When she kills people, she kills them to free them. In my opinion, she sees herself as the content of the "minds" she has freed. The "doll" that she claimed killed her parents, her body. That's why at the end, she added her lover and her daughter to her personalities, because she thinks they are free there. I think what she tried to do with her daughter was to create a new "doll" so she could achieve freedom, herself. The problem was, the daughter didn't meet up with her expectations, so she had to continue carrying "that burden".

Saikawa admires her for the "pureness" of her freedom sense, this "paralel thinking" she has that is not polluted by moral standards of society. He envys her because I think he feells trapped in every sense, and he knows that that kind of "freedom" is something that only her could achieve.

That is just my opinion, but this series, it opens the door for many different interpretations.

Forgive my English, I know is horrible.
Dec 19, 2015 1:51 AM

Nov 2015
Vatsafi said:
I just watched this anime in one sit.
My first impression was that I liked it very much, but the more I think about it, the less I like some points.

- The aunt, Shindo Yumiko, who is a relative to her should know way better her own family, if she does or does not have another niece

- The locked room mystery (we learn that she could come out whenever she wanted - the glass guy tells authorized persons can open the room door from outside, she can open it from the inside, and the corpse's arm is missing...) she and uncle exchange the crucial parts of the plan?), you kill him also, because FFFF, and...done! Yay.

- the knife which she used to kill the uncle, is it the same she killed her parents with? If it is, how does she still have it, wouldn't the police confiscicate it as evidence?

- the whole "she is a genius", "she does not think as an ordinary people about life and death" etc - until she is desperately trying to find a way to end her own life, I don't see how she is living that "superior life"

(the whole bloody escape plan is unnecessary, she could leave anytime, use the helicopter and disappear just like she disappeared now (and uncle surely would help her escape, if she ever asked).

Feeling superior, murdering people pointlessly, and creating blurry reasoning behind it - this is what Dr. Magata Shiki looks like to me in the end.

- Also, what was exactly her motive for killing her parents? Because they wouldn't let her keep a baby whose father is her uncle?

Being free? If being free equals to lock herself up in a room for some decades alone with a soon to be born child, who needs huge time and attention, and who she wants to keep secret from the world at all costs?

I simply just don't understand her motive clearly for the parent killing either. Or being free for her really just means that free to do whatever and whenever she wants to do, eliminating those who could restrain her? I am really curious, anyone who finds her character appealing, or thinks that understands her actions, could you explain to me?

As for ep.11, I really hoped for a last twist in the events (not exactly hvae idea how), but there wasn't.
I liked the show's atmosphere, at first glance the story too, and it DID make me think about it much more than other shows (see this rant above). What I did not like is the execution of the investigation, some ways it had logic, but some ways they did do it a little random. (Searching for evidences, examining the corpses, asking some questions from everybody present in the building, interrogating suspects could be done more sistematically for my taste). i would rate it 6-7/10, I guess.

Sorry for grammatical errors, it's been a while since I wrote in english, I hope my sentences make more or less sense.

-----------------------------------------------

Some really good questions. We seem to think in similar ways. I wondered about the knife as well (because murder weapons do get confiscated in the "real" world, lol). The one Shiki used to execute Shindo really did look a lot like the one she used to kill her parents.

Seeing how she was quite the planner, she could have easily "predicted" that she'd need another knife some time in the future - Shiki was after all, a very future-oriented thinker, who could foresee & "predict" a lot of things by mere logic (and she did mention during the parent-killing flashback that one day it would be her turn & her uncle's turn to die).

This detail in itself, could have been an interesting plot twist (where an "insider" at the lab, could have helped her acquire a knife, since she had the liberty to order materials).

When there's an ally (like a helper) on the "inside", a heck of a lot more becomes possible & accessible to a "prisoner" (I do believe Dr. Magata could've gotten out whenever she wanted to, she was smart enough for that - so I feel the same way about the murders being so pointless).

I also like how you mentioned the aunt & the absurdity of her attitude. That character has got to be the most unnatural thing about this show (in my eyes). This and the pain-staking broken English convo between "Miki" (aka Shiki) & Sohei. This plot was so broken.

In the end, (to me) Magata Shiki was an emotionally stunted person, with an intelligence level that was overly developed to her own detriment. This character was (almost) literally bored to death, lol!

Didn't want to kill herself, because that would have been too boring & easy, I guess.

In short, she possessed too little (feeling) capacity, and pretty much drowned herself in a pool of extemely gloomy thoughts, which made her very detached and ungrounded, and thus - very imbalanced - not to mention the multiple personalities she developed (which weren't correctly portrayed IMO).

DID (or Dissociative Identity Disorder) aka MPD (or Multiple Personality Disorder) simply doesn't work the way it was portrayed in the anime, and felt like a thorn in my eye while I watched.

They could have done SO much with this but didn't (for whatever reason).

All along this show I saw brilliant opportunities for side-plots & subplots, but alas... nope. Didn't happen. Instead, we were left with some frustrating & confusing plot holes :(.

In closing, I'd like to mention how I really did love the opening & ending theme (soundtrack + art & animation). Saikawa was definitely my fav. character. I loved the "cheese" joke when Moe was crying and the part where Shiki was talking to her daughter - especially when she mentioned never to stop searching for a reason to live.

Shiki is a hypocrite, seeing how she disregarded her lover and her kid's freedom to live, even though she herself craved an anti-social form of ultimate freedom.

Niiiiice... hmm. Magata Shiki... you cold@ss rebellious punk. Everything becomes F - Fifteen. Yeah Shiki, apparently she never developed (emotionally) beyond the age of 15 (or 5... lol).

"Okay mom & dad, I'm killing you because you won't let me have my way". Nice. Niiice. Urgh.

Argh I just can't get past that part, blah.
ElzheimerDec 19, 2015 2:10 AM
Dec 19, 2015 6:03 AM

Oct 2008
iLostReason said:
I'm going to be generous and give it a 6/10.Pretty sure if it was a 2h anime movie focused on only important story parts i could give it even 8/10.11 episodes tho were too much for this series.LOTS of unnecessary and dragged out scenes.Nishinosono was one of the most annoying characters this year too.
Best part of this show was it's ED without any doubt.Absolutely amazing, one of my favorites this year.

Watch the drama, you can watch this case from start to end in 2 hours and it's far more entertaining and you won't dislike Nishinosono.

I'm kind of sad so many people are hating on the story but I can see why. Surely if people watched the drama they'd like this story better. I do appreciate that the anime tried to show more background on Magata, but that's pretty much it.
Dec 19, 2015 7:10 AM

Jan 2014
Why did Saikawa asked "who are you" in the prev ep?

The one who talk to Saikawa is Magata and the one in Tokyo is Michiru right?

So did Michiru really dead and the corpse is fake?
Dec 19, 2015 7:25 AM
Nov 2014
Mich666 said:
So she took-in even her uncle to her multiple personalities in the end, what a interesting end.
I enjoyed the clever art and camera direction of this series and its mood grew on me literally since the first episode. Also, nothing was pushed directly into your face which is also something I liked.
Although this time the last scene (and the scene where Magata vanished) felt a little abrupt - what was the purpose of those two image freezes? Dunno.
Anyway, I really liked this conversation-driven and thoughtprovoking drama. Bit philosophical too.
And characters, their interactions - mainly Saikawa, Moe and Magata's were so well-written. They felt very real to me, that's something not many anime can do.
There were many interesting questions dealing with shades of grey in this series and I really liked its thematic uncorrectness. One has to try to view the life through Magata's eyes to fully understand how she saw the world. Moral ambiguity of our actions and nihilism as main themes of this anime were very interesting topics.

7-8/10 Good mystery anime but even better criticism of our subconscious dependence on our modern society that governs what we think as good or wrong since our very birth.

(TLDR is towards the middle between the breaks---, after the longer explanation in the beginning and after the Tldr there is an afterword if you are interested.)

Finally someone who understands the tones of this anime. Having seen the live-action version I can't say I arrived at some conclusions on my own but it kind of annoys me that so many people fail to understand, proving maybe many did not pay attention that much. She had her own Michiro personality which was the doll that she said killed her parents, which was her in a doll like state as well her being her play doll. She also had a sister that looked out for her in her mind. All these personalities are what protected her after she decided to let her uncle take something from her that she could lose, " I wanted to have something taken away from me" or along those lines. So she gives him her virginity and she gets pregnant, and the others protect her by taking the blame/taking over during the moment she stabs her parents, and in the live-action the uncle is actually the one who stabs them, but Magata is holding the knife, the uncle guiding her arm from behind her basically like teaching someone to play golf kinda deal. She takes her past and adds that to her personalities, so she knows these people are not in the real world anymore, but they do exist in her mind in the way she can best remember, and she does not need to try they just come out spontaneously. At the end of the anime we witness her using this personalities to actually visualize conversations in the virtual space, we don't see but in her inner conscious she is talking to visual people just like when she talked to Saikawa and Moe seperately when she was found out in the virtual space. We may have even witnessed what happens when she invents them for the first time, as her uncle joins the conversation and meets her daughter for the first time when she is older.

For those asking what it is about Dr.Magata getting caught by police outside the library, as well as the police being alerted that she had accessed a computer in Tokyo I will explain. This happens in the live-action as well.

There is no Miki Magata or her sister it is just another disguise, maybe even a complete personality in Dr. Magata. She duped the police by having remote access to a computer terminal in Tokyo I presume, in order to get the police away from Saikawa. After this she visits him, makes him think she is about to be caught to try and get affection from him/or take him with her and escape I assume. She hires people to surround her, not real police.

That is why the scene later shows the "police" that are walking next to her all the sudden walk away casually and she "vanishes".

There are two explanations of what happened, one I just explained, or another that would only be explained if the show continued to show you how she was doing this. In the live-action there are 3 mysteries including Dr.Magata's escape and she is behind the scenes helping Saikawa with a clue in one, and even being the puppet master, screwing up the rich guy that is trying to manipulate Moe by making his murder designs actually real instead of fake and people start dieing because of it. At the end of this arc, we realize that the same hologram technology that the rich guy is designing is actually being used by Dr.Magata. She was never near the events of the third arc, but was a hologram directing things behind the scenes. After that arc Saikawa realizes the neighbor next door who just moved out of the apartment complex was Dr.Magata the whole time, she leaves a "I trolled you, see you later wink" kind of note and message for him because in the end of it all she helped keep Moe safe and kept her from the rich guy.

We learn that Dr.Magata perfected this hologram technology, and it was her that contacted the rich guy and she was the reason they started making hologram tech, she spoon fed him pieces of her perfect hologram tech.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>In conclusion or >TL:DR- Dr.Magata has perfected hologram tech long ago, and uses this to appear anywhere and maybe uses some other camera or next-gen tech to be able to see and talk from there. So either she was a hologram when she talked to Saikawa sensei, but this can be debunked because he shakes her hand unless she really has some quantum next level tech in this scenario. In the live action she doesn't have the ability to act physically upon the world.

The other explanation is that she really just duped the policed as I explained, led them towards Tokyo by remotely accessing a computer there, maybe manipulating a security camera at the same time to make it seem like someone was on a computer that looked like her. People that watch this show may not know how truly hacker she is, she is basically a god of the system in the live action and books. After she leads them to Tokyo she visits Saikawa, and then pretends to be surrounded by fake police to fool Saikawa, make him think that he doesn't need to call the police in case he might do that.

At the end of the anime we witness her using her new personalities of her daughter and her uncle to actually visualize conversations in the virtual space. She may have had a portion of these personalities already but after they died her mind automatically absorbed memories and thoughts of them and created a virtual representation to talk to her and her other personalities. Maybe that was the exact moment her uncle was created as she seemed surprised and welcomed him, as well as introduced him to their daughter for the first time since she was a baby.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>Afterword- A lot of anime viewers might not realize but the live-action and books had quite good popularity in Japan. This leads me to believe and especially watching the anime that it was pandering to previous fans more than expecting people to go in without any knowledge. They do this in a way that might turn off new watchers but is suttle enough to mix in with the story. Like more dialogue, the Magata murder arc was not as long time wise as this anime. So instead they gave the audience more dialogue from the books, as this arc is the most important arc as it basically is the intro arc to every other part of the series because Dr.Magata is the deuteragonist, causing trouble and mischief but never harming the main characters in the end, even being considered a guardian angel who likes to play with them sometimes and they seem to get involved with people she might be actively working with like the rich guy. She is so interested in Moe because she is like her with her parents dead from the same age, that maybe she had decided to work with that certain rich guy because Moe was promised to that man but did not want to and was putting it off and Magata wanted to get close to him to discover his nefarious plans for Moe, and screw them up in order to set Saikawa on the right path and mess up the rich mans plans in the process since people were dieing instead of it only being fake. She essentially breaks the rich guy by mind-fucking him after all these manipulations and is able to weaken him so Saikawa can figure out everything and be able to get thru heavy security etc.

Sorry for these long explanation. It just bothers me people hating on this anime and I understand, but realize that this was made in Japan and mostly for Japanese audience viewers. This means they expected a large portion of viewers to have read this entire story or already watched the first 3 arcs with Magata being involved, the murder, the locked room murder where a girls head is cut off and the rich guy trying to manipulate Moe. She was a part of them all.

But since Magata is the most interesting character in the series and novels, fans would want to know more about this first arc or any arc as well. That is why there is more dialogue and perhaps pacing issues. That does not excuse it but realizing intentions always gives a diversified look on a piece of art.

If an artist tries to make a painting seem dark, and the critic does not like it because it is to dark, you can not fault the creator for making it dark like that because that is strictly your own opinion and you are not taking into account objectively "Did the artist fulfill his intent?". I am not saying the critic is wrong to dislike it, but there is a difference between critiquing something as objectively as possible and still being able to add in your opinion, and only giving your opinion forgetting the artist's goal in the first place. It is like saying the architect built an ugly house because it looks victorian and not modern. But if he intended it that way, somebody who knows little about Victorian architecture should be less subjective in that critic then and not add much of there own opinion or add a disclaimer. You guys probably know this and realize I am rambling but it sometimes takes a reminder to change an outlook.

IDK why I spent this time defending this anime, as it was not as good as I expected having watched the TV live-action series, but I still thought it was a 7.5 and deserves no less than a 6 even from new viewers unless they hate mystery or anything like this. My own opinion I know, but this is coming from someone who has seen the live-action so a fan before watching so to speak.
Dec 19, 2015 7:57 AM
Nov 2014
Jacara said:
This show is such a disappointment because I had such high hopes for it.

The sealed room mystery aspect was delicious, whilst the animation and especially the opening was fresh and unique.

This show was however let down by the many internal inconsistencies and utter abandonment of logic. For example, how is it that no one noticed that Dr. Magata did not have a sister? Even more shockingly, how is it that the director's wife, who is Dr. Magata's aunt not realise the same thing?

The mens rea for the killings is an even larger gaping hole in the structure of the whole story, which they tried to hide behind the "Dr. Magata is insane so she doesn't have to make sense" trope.

Dr. Magata says that death is the cure to the disease called life, and admitted that she performed the serial killings so that she could die/experience freedom. She then claims that being killed is an expression of love, and she would like to be killed by someone. Lets assume we apply her logic- she killed her own daughter and the Director because she loved them- why wait 15 years? And why kill the only 2 people who are remotely likely to grant her wish of being killed? Why go to such lengths to hide her role in the killings and to escape from the lab?

The simple answer is, this is pure rubbish and cloaking it with pseudo-philosophical questions does not make it more acceptable. If you want a good murder story read Agatha Christie, don't bother with this crap.

Dr.Magata killed her parents around age 14-15. She had her kid when she was 15 but only her and her uncle knew about this. The kid was raised to age 15 in secret.

The plan did not go as Dr.Magata had planned. The idea from the beginning, from before the kid was even born and still in Dr.Magatas belly was to let the kid be free.

Magata had planned the clock countdown for the day her daughter turned 15. On that day her daughter would escape by using Dr.Magatas corpse and do everything just like what happened in the anime(She would pretend to be Magata's sister and kill the director in the same way.

So originally, the daughter was supposed to kill her mother as a means to escape, then her father- by doing this it actually is necessary because the police cannot be called now because the one who can pilot the helicopter to go call for help is dead.

One can say that the uncle or director did not have to die or even Magata in this plan if they use another distraction, and Magata can just stay in the locked room during all of this to alleviate fears while the system undergoes some massive malfunctions.

----But the point of all this was, just as Magata had killed her parents when she was younger, (which was just as much her uncle's fault as well because in the other adaptations and novels her uncle guides her hand from behind to stab her parents) the daughter would kill both her parents and then escape and be free.

But things did not go as planned- the daughter was not like Magata, not as smart, not as "evolved", no extra personalities etc. No matter how much she was told about her 15th birthday and the day of freedom, she could not understand killing her own parents. So she committed suicide in the bathroom instead by cutting her wrists. Dr.Magata was so upset that she dressed her daughter up in a wedding dress- to give her a wedding in a kind and motherly kind of way(Might seem weird but to Magata and myself watching the series I realized this was out of love and true sadness seeing her daughter die before she turned 15, the day she would be freed).

Magata had to cut off the arms and legs, otherwise they would realize it wasn't Magata. She cut off the arms for the fingerprints, and the legs just to make it look like this was never the intent, it was just some weird chopping off of the limbs. She went thru with the plan instead of her daughter- I don't know exactly why besides Magata wanting to be "free" as well, I think the live-action went over this, but she did this as kind of a honor to her daughter as well, as she developed a Michiru personality and pretended to be Michiru when she talked to Saikawa in the virtual space in the live-action until he made her explain that she wasn't.

First Magata admitted that she killed her daughter, but Saikawa explained that no she didn't her daughter was the one who was supposed to kill her which is why the countdown was to her 15th birthday etc. He then realized why she put the wedding dress on her- this means she loved her and wanted her daughter to experience marriage- and she also had to cut off the limbs not just for the fingers but to get her in this dress. Saikawa deduces the daughter was not a genius like her like he expected or knew she had expected- she did not want to kill her parents in return for being free. She committed suicide, and Magata was so upset over this but did not show it in a normal way, she showed it by the wedding dress and pretending to be her daughter, free after escaping, admitting to Saikawa that she "killed her mother" when we find out obviously Magata is still alive, and the daughter dead.

And lastly, about the Director's wife, why didn't she realize that Magata did not have a sister?

First of all, she would not have known what Magata even looked like, she hadn't seen her in 14-15 years and maybe if she did see her thru the skype calls etc. she was actually talking to her daughter. Just as Moe was actually talking to Magata's daughter during their first conversation with one another, Moe did not notice that the dead body in the wedding dress was Not Magata because she thought Magata had always looked that young, same with the other employees in there Magata must have used her daughter for those skype calls for a few years now.

But then you ask shouldn't the aunt know she doesn't have a sister? Well, yes if she was good friends with Magata's parents but even if she was, if there was even any doubt that they could have hid something from her and/or her husband(The director) then she would not be so suspicious, given the director, her husband, magata's uncle etc. went to pick up Magata's sister in the helicopter. This means he has already explained where the sister lives, how come we haven't heard from her etc. to the aunt. The rest of the explaining could be done once Miki Magata arrives, as Magata is obviously a genius at fooling people and disguising herself as another personality. And because NOBODY even considered that she had a daughter, given she had been in that locked room since she was 15 and never came out, only the director going in a few times but not in a long long time, everyone thought Magata was already dead, I mean there she was in a wedding dress stone-cold dead lol and there was no sign at that time that anybody else ever was in that room. Nobody could have guessed about magata being pregnant at 14-15 when she killed her parents, only the uncle knew.

And I always wondered myself, "Did the uncle know that Magata came to kill him, or did he still think it was the original plan and she was the daughter, hugged him killed him from behind the pilot seat and then pretended to be Miki as planned". I know in the anime it seems as he knew it was Dr.Magata, and he either assumed that Dr.Magata killed there daughter or he already knew she was dead before the whole event. Either way he seemd rather calm, as Dr.Magata had told him as well for the past 15 years, that once their kid was 15 they would die, just as her parents had died so she could be free.(If they did not die, her baby would not be alive probably because it was incest)

I hope I have answered some questions. I have not read the novel, but have watched the live-action and read thru a couple in detail discussions.
Dec 19, 2015 9:30 AM
Jun 2012
Elzheimer said:

DID (or Dissociative Identity Disorder) aka MPD (or Multiple Personality Disorder) simply doesn't work the way it was portrayed in the anime, and felt like a thorn in my eye while I watched.

What's depicted in the anime is not multiple personality disorder, which is a highly disputed diagnosis anyway, but I don't think it's supposed to be either.

The simile made was with children playacting. So it's more like she has invisible friends. It's part of why Sohei calls her pure. (Unaffected by society, not morally good as Moe thinks he means.)
Dec 19, 2015 10:47 AM

Sep 2007
Enjoyed this series. One of the more memorable ones.

Dec 19, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2014
RedR said:
Seeing people call this pretentious piece of garbage a "good" mystery anime is the most fun thing, especially when you go on their lists and see scores that are twice as retarded as that insinuation.

Dude, you gave 6 Braves, easily one of the stupidest anime of the year, an 8. No wonder you consider an anime that tries to have a plausible mystery as pretentious, it isn't shounen enough for you, it's "mystery" isn't a bunch of retarded children trying to murder each other for no reason with their magical powers.
Dec 19, 2015 2:24 PM

Jul 2014
StevePen387 said:
Mich666 said:
So she took-in even her uncle to her multiple personalities in the end, what a interesting end.
I enjoyed the clever art and camera direction of this series and its mood grew on me literally since the first episode. Also, nothing was pushed directly into your face which is also something I liked.
Although this time the last scene (and the scene where Magata vanished) felt a little abrupt - what was the purpose of those two image freezes? Dunno.
Anyway, I really liked this conversation-driven and thoughtprovoking drama. Bit philosophical too.
And characters, their interactions - mainly Saikawa, Moe and Magata's were so well-written. They felt very real to me, that's something not many anime can do.
There were many interesting questions dealing with shades of grey in this series and I really liked its thematic uncorrectness. One has to try to view the life through Magata's eyes to fully understand how she saw the world. Moral ambiguity of our actions and nihilism as main themes of this anime were very interesting topics.

7-8/10 Good mystery anime but even better criticism of our subconscious dependence on our modern society that governs what we think as good or wrong since our very birth.

(TLDR is towards the middle between the breaks---, after the longer explanation in the beginning and after the Tldr there is an afterword if you are interested.)

Finally someone who understands the tones of this anime. Having seen the live-action version I can't say I arrived at some conclusions on my own but it kind of annoys me that so many people fail to understand, proving maybe many did not pay attention that much. She had her own Michiro personality which was the doll that she said killed her parents, which was her in a doll like state as well her being her play doll. She also had a sister that looked out for her in her mind. All these personalities are what protected her after she decided to let her uncle take something from her that she could lose, " I wanted to have something taken away from me" or along those lines. So she gives him her virginity and she gets pregnant, and the others protect her by taking the blame/taking over during the moment she stabs her parents, and in the live-action the uncle is actually the one who stabs them, but Magata is holding the knife, the uncle guiding her arm from behind her basically like teaching someone to play golf kinda deal. She takes her past and adds that to her personalities, so she knows these people are not in the real world anymore, but they do exist in her mind in the way she can best remember, and she does not need to try they just come out spontaneously. At the end of the anime we witness her using this personalities to actually visualize conversations in the virtual space, we don't see but in her inner conscious she is talking to visual people just like when she talked to Saikawa and Moe seperately when she was found out in the virtual space. We may have even witnessed what happens when she invents them for the first time, as her uncle joins the conversation and meets her daughter for the first time when she is older.

For those asking what it is about Dr.Magata getting caught by police outside the library, as well as the police being alerted that she had accessed a computer in Tokyo I will explain. This happens in the live-action as well.

There is no Miki Magata or her sister it is just another disguise, maybe even a complete personality in Dr. Magata. She duped the police by having remote access to a computer terminal in Tokyo I presume, in order to get the police away from Saikawa. After this she visits him, makes him think she is about to be caught to try and get affection from him/or take him with her and escape I assume. She hires people to surround her, not real police.

That is why the scene later shows the "police" that are walking next to her all the sudden walk away casually and she "vanishes".

There are two explanations of what happened, one I just explained, or another that would only be explained if the show continued to show you how she was doing this. In the live-action there are 3 mysteries including Dr.Magata's escape and she is behind the scenes helping Saikawa with a clue in one, and even being the puppet master, screwing up the rich guy that is trying to manipulate Moe by making his murder designs actually real instead of fake and people start dieing because of it. At the end of this arc, we realize that the same hologram technology that the rich guy is designing is actually being used by Dr.Magata. She was never near the events of the third arc, but was a hologram directing things behind the scenes. After that arc Saikawa realizes the neighbor next door who just moved out of the apartment complex was Dr.Magata the whole time, she leaves a "I trolled you, see you later wink" kind of note and message for him because in the end of it all she helped keep Moe safe and kept her from the rich guy.

We learn that Dr.Magata perfected this hologram technology, and it was her that contacted the rich guy and she was the reason they started making hologram tech, she spoon fed him pieces of her perfect hologram tech.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>In conclusion or >TL:DR- Dr.Magata has perfected hologram tech long ago, and uses this to appear anywhere and maybe uses some other camera or next-gen tech to be able to see and talk from there. So either she was a hologram when she talked to Saikawa sensei, but this can be debunked because he shakes her hand unless she really has some quantum next level tech in this scenario. In the live action she doesn't have the ability to act physically upon the world.

The other explanation is that she really just duped the policed as I explained, led them towards Tokyo by remotely accessing a computer there, maybe manipulating a security camera at the same time to make it seem like someone was on a computer that looked like her. People that watch this show may not know how truly hacker she is, she is basically a god of the system in the live action and books. After she leads them to Tokyo she visits Saikawa, and then pretends to be surrounded by fake police to fool Saikawa, make him think that he doesn't need to call the police in case he might do that.

At the end of the anime we witness her using her new personalities of her daughter and her uncle to actually visualize conversations in the virtual space. She may have had a portion of these personalities already but after they died her mind automatically absorbed memories and thoughts of them and created a virtual representation to talk to her and her other personalities. Maybe that was the exact moment her uncle was created as she seemed surprised and welcomed him, as well as introduced him to their daughter for the first time since she was a baby.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>Afterword- A lot of anime viewers might not realize but the live-action and books had quite good popularity in Japan. This leads me to believe and especially watching the anime that it was pandering to previous fans more than expecting people to go in without any knowledge. They do this in a way that might turn off new watchers but is suttle enough to mix in with the story. Like more dialogue, the Magata murder arc was not as long time wise as this anime. So instead they gave the audience more dialogue from the books, as this arc is the most important arc as it basically is the intro arc to every other part of the series because Dr.Magata is the deuteragonist, causing trouble and mischief but never harming the main characters in the end, even being considered a guardian angel who likes to play with them sometimes and they seem to get involved with people she might be actively working with like the rich guy. She is so interested in Moe because she is like her with her parents dead from the same age, that maybe she had decided to work with that certain rich guy because Moe was promised to that man but did not want to and was putting it off and Magata wanted to get close to him to discover his nefarious plans for Moe, and screw them up in order to set Saikawa on the right path and mess up the rich mans plans in the process since people were dieing instead of it only being fake. She essentially breaks the rich guy by mind-fucking him after all these manipulations and is able to weaken him so Saikawa can figure out everything and be able to get thru heavy security etc.

Sorry for these long explanation. It just bothers me people hating on this anime and I understand, but realize that this was made in Japan and mostly for Japanese audience viewers. This means they expected a large portion of viewers to have read this entire story or already watched the first 3 arcs with Magata being involved, the murder, the locked room murder where a girls head is cut off and the rich guy trying to manipulate Moe. She was a part of them all.

But since Magata is the most interesting character in the series and novels, fans would want to know more about this first arc or any arc as well. That is why there is more dialogue and perhaps pacing issues. That does not excuse it but realizing intentions always gives a diversified look on a piece of art.

If an artist tries to make a painting seem dark, and the critic does not like it because it is to dark, you can not fault the creator for making it dark like that because that is strictly your own opinion and you are not taking into account objectively "Did the artist fulfill his intent?". I am not saying the critic is wrong to dislike it, but there is a difference between critiquing something as objectively as possible and still being able to add in your opinion, and only giving your opinion forgetting the artist's goal in the first place. It is like saying the architect built an ugly house because it looks victorian and not modern. But if he intended it that way, somebody who knows little about Victorian architecture should be less subjective in that critic then and not add much of there own opinion or add a disclaimer. You guys probably know this and realize I am rambling but it sometimes takes a reminder to change an outlook.

IDK why I spent this time defending this anime, as it was not as good as I expected having watched the TV live-action series, but I still thought it was a 7.5 and deserves no less than a 6 even from new viewers unless they hate mystery or anything like this. My own opinion I know, but this is coming from someone who has seen the live-action so a fan before watching so to speak.

Thanks for the writeup. As you can see with the thread there were a bunch of people confused about the ending. Unfortunately I think they really did a poor job with the final episode which is why people are confused. They should have gotten Morgan Freeman to explain everything.
Dec 19, 2015 3:19 PM

Feb 2015
This series was very good at the end with most things answered, but I can't forgive the episodes that kept me flat out bored from start to finish. I'll give it a 6 or 7. btw best OP of 2015 IMO.
Dec 19, 2015 4:34 PM

May 2014
I see there are lots of conflicting opinions on the show. Overall I would say it was a thoroughly enjoyable mystery but it seemed like some of the characters were trying way too hard to be philosophical at times. Still going to give it an 8/10 because the whole process of solving the murder was interesting to watch.
Dec 19, 2015 7:30 PM

Apr 2014
I've never seen a character smoke so many cigs.
---------My Profile------------
Dec 19, 2015 10:32 PM

Oct 2013
aikaflip said:
A couple more general observations after re-watching this episode.

When Shiki is talking to Souhei in the real world, her views are very antinatalist. Life is a hindrance; death is liberation. However, in the flashbacks when she's talking to her daughter, her words are more optimistic and encouraging, particularly during the camel back ride in—I'm assuming—the virtual world (one of the most beautiful anime scenes ever); these thoughts are extended into—again, assuming—a kitchen back in her lab in the real world. Did the lab have a kitchen? I can't remember.

I also understand why these scenes were so sad to me now. Shiki's optimism turned into a coldness that she fully embraced, then passed on to her daughter. And then it ends with Shiki alone, after having killed everyone close to her, having a schizophrenic conversation with herself. It's really depressing.

8/10 overall

And it's about time I add Kenji Kawai to my favorite people list.

Thanks for this. I was incredibly confused about what's going on in those last two scenes, but this more or less cleared it up.

I love how the anime ends with Magata in a way which is open to interpretation. The story really was all about her.

I always enjoyed the show, but was never really "feeling it" until these last three episodes when the story cast aside its shackles and drowned itself in pretentious existential, nihilistic bullshit -- I happen to be a sucker for that kind of thing. Magata is truly and utterly a brilliant character. I do not agree with her, but I find her mindset incredibly fascinating. In a way, I understand how Saikawa feels.
ZadionDec 19, 2015 10:39 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 19, 2015 11:17 PM

Feb 2014
So many unanswered questions and illogical moments in the last two episodes brought down this anime for me. Sensei became a fundamentally unlikable person, what does Moe see in him, and no real justice was laid on a murderer who killed 3 people - I mean she killed three people out of love and for her freedom, what?. I loved the mystery part of the show but this was a pretty unsatisfying conclusion.

7/10 for the mystery.
Dec 19, 2015 11:49 PM

Nov 2013
I wanna say I'm confused but I'm not. I understand what happened, but something is missing and whatever it is that's missing from this episode made the ending of this anime feel a bit anticlimactic and dull
BISH IM IN NARNIA <3
Dec 20, 2015 4:51 AM

Mar 2009
StevePen387 said:

But things did not go as planned- the daughter was not like Magata, not as smart, not as "evolved", no extra personalities etc. No matter how much she was told about her 15th birthday and the day of freedom, she could not understand killing her own parents. So she committed suicide in the bathroom instead by cutting her wrists. Dr.Magata was so upset that she dressed her daughter up in a wedding dress- to give her a wedding in a kind and motherly kind of way(Might seem weird but to Magata and myself watching the series I realized this was out of love and true sadness seeing her daughter die before she turned 15, the day she would be freed).

Thanks for this. The anime didn't exactly make it clear that the daughter killed herself, as many people(myself included for a while) believed that Magata had killed her own daughter. If anything, at least it makes me happy that Magata wasn't enough of a monster to kill her own daughter.
That being said, what a terrible, tragic and sad life the daughter must have had. Manipulated and conditioned by her own mother, trapped for 14 years in that place...and then it ends with her killing herself.
Yeesh. Really depressing when you think about it. We barely got to know her, but the daughter had a huge impact on me. Sad stuff.

TheNaturalPerm said:

This year of Noitamina sure was quite bad
Not one presentable show in their line up.

sigh

As far as I'm concerned, Noitamina is on life support. The last good show was Ping Pong, although I had some fun with Punch Line.
Your Lie in April and The Perfect Insider came the closest to feeling like Noitamina shows, but both failed in the end.
I've heard good things about next season's Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, but...we'll see.

Anyway, back to The Perfect Insider. This final episode went completely over my head, and the previous episode made for a better ending to this show.

In the end, I just don't feel like this show lived up to its full potential. Believe it or not, I almost dropped it after the first episode. It was pseudo-intellectual and, quite frankly, very boring. It wasn't until the 2nd and 3rd episodes that I actually started really enjoying it. It was very creepy and unhinged what Shiki was doing to her uncle, and his reciprocation for that matter. All their scenes together were really dark. The beginning episodes had this oppressive tone that made it kind of interesting. After a while – and when parts of the mystery were being solved – it managed to lose that tone. Also didn't help that people called the solution to the mystery very early on.

Shiki was interesting(read: fucked up) at the start, but for some reason, even she lost some of that mystique and edge. On the other hand, both Saikawa and Moe were annoying from start to end. And Saikawa's obsession with Magata was weird. Dude's just as insane as she is.

So, yeah, didn't live up to its potential. And the last episode was just messy and strange.
Dec 20, 2015 10:02 AM

Nov 2014
Zadion said:
aikaflip said:

Thanks for this. I was incredibly confused about what's going on in those last two scenes, but this more or less cleared it up.

No problem.

I love how the anime ends with Magata in a way which is open to interpretation. The story really was all about her.

Interesting point. It might be best to not approach The Perfect Insider as a "murder mystery", but rather as a psychological drama about reconciling the paradox of life, death, and morality—with Shiki Magata at the center.
Dec 20, 2015 10:58 AM

Nov 2015
Helpme said:
Elzheimer said:

What's depicted in the anime is not multiple personality disorder, which is a highly disputed diagnosis anyway, but I don't think it's supposed to be either.

The simile made was with children playacting. So it's more like she has invisible friends. It's part of why Sohei calls her pure. (Unaffected by society, not morally good as Moe thinks he means.)

Please, let's not turn this into a discussion whether DID/MPD exists or not. I have personally researched it and do believe it exists (however, that's not the point here).

My point is, if they're going to implement a disorder such as DID, then it should be portrayed accurately for it to actually have the desired effect on any informed viewers, otherwise it's just a confusing mess.

Now, you're totally free to (dis)believe or have your own interpretation of course.

I do vaguely remember that at one point, it was stated that Magata Shiki had multiple personalities + in one of the flashbacks, she was portrayed with her uncle in what I believe to be a hotel room, where she went to the bathroom - wrapped in a towel (right before or after sleeping with him) and was having a conversation about "the act" in front of the mirror.

Magata Shiki was actually pictured standing and talking in different tones & postures (as if other personalities inside of her had temporarily taken over). It was clearly a conversation between different personalities and it didn't look anything like imaginary friends.

And as for the ending. I'm not even sure what that was (when she mentioned Kishio, her uncle, her daughter, etc., ... ).

What I do know for sure (based on fellow viewers comments) is that it left quite a bit of people puzzled and mindf--ked (including me), due to some inconsistencies.

All in all, I thought the show was ok. I feel better about it, when I don't treat it like a mystery drama (but a psycho drama). Feels a lot less frustrating that way :).
Dec 20, 2015 4:25 PM

Jul 2009
So Magata was able to be "free" in the end...it actually started kinda bad, but it got good when the whole "who killed Magata?" mystery started... 7/10
Dec 20, 2015 4:26 PM

Jun 2014
2/10 Fuck A-1 and Kanbe
Dec 20, 2015 4:41 PM

May 2012
Signore said:
2/10 Fuck A-1 and Kanbe

You don't like A-1 pictures?
Dec 20, 2015 9:44 PM

Jan 2008
She fooled Saikawa not once, not twice, not thrice, but 4 bloody times! The first was having her daughter pretend to be her, 2nd was pretending to be "Miki", 3rd was when she escaped via boat, and now when she escaped yet again by pretending to be caught by authorities, but were in reality probably just used some kind of hired actors. For someone so completely insane to have multiple personalities, imagining dead people in her head, she is still brilliantly charismatic and elegant. Reminds me a lot of Hannibal Lector, only the cannibalism is replaced with incest.

"The Perfect Insider"...both Shiki's daughter posing as her, and she herself--when she simply walks away at her own pace, after being under everyone's noses the entire time.

Also, totally didn't see the flashy Gido woman to be Saikawa's sister, the one who gives him all his funky graphic t-shirts no less.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good murder-mystery series. Not one I'd rewatch though.
Dec 21, 2015 12:47 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
7/10

Good series, i took pretty long to get started though. This episode was nice for a final, haunting last three minutes.
Dec 21, 2015 3:51 PM

Jul 2007
The ending made me lower the score even more.
Really problematic message - hey all deaths and horrible things that happened? Meh happy end guyse because mad doctor is funnay maymay!~

Holy shit was this below mediocre. To think I was actually looking forward to this shitshow...

3/10 overall.
Dec 22, 2015 2:42 AM
Mar 2012
Bit confused at parts, including the end. Rewatching some bits really helped.
End was actually beautiful. Daughter & mother scenes, camel. Ocean wreckage scene representing Shiki's insane multiple personality mind. Some personalities mentioned in ep4 & 5.
Kishio: dead twin brother. "I must leave... there's something I must do" Not sure what.
Suma: dead maid. "cleaning...I want to see the ocean...wedding dress..."
Michiru: doll, robot, and end seems to reveal daughter's name is also Michiru "she's grown up, has she not?".
Uncle: dead so merged into Shiki's personality ocean, and there he meets Kishio & Michiru (+ other personalities probably).

Art, atmosphere, music all quite amazing. Not much animation, though I'm fine with it focusing on heavy discussion, philosophies, morality, inner psychology of the 3 main characters. Moe is closest to being the audience who emphasizes societies conventions, and questions Saikawa & Shiki who were quite cryptic at times. I'm glad the show doesn't force a cliched moral lesson, but instead explores these thought processes, mind of the chained occasionally joking detective, of a childish but smart & jealous girl, and a perfect criminal.
Last ep still doesn't make it clear, but the conversations of daughter, Shiki, & Saikawa seem to suggest the daughter wanted a different kind of freedom, and took her own life, or was killed with her consent. "Who are you?" became more crucial than I thought.

This is the first show I've seen where the coding facts are correct & support the plot/mysteries in a possibly unbelievable, but still logical way.
"B & D are the same way" (ep1): Saikawa mentions if he knew this from Moe he could've solved it earlier. They're early clues to Shiki (real daughter) using mostly Hex. So B=11, D=13, both prime numbers following lonely 7.

Mystery anime bit rare but definitely the best of 2015. Slow pacing more similar to RnY, where I really like how a single story develops rather than many short arcs.
Dec 22, 2015 7:58 AM

May 2014
Short, yet intriguing series with a lot of deep meanings included which some might understands whilst some not. Ending as well was performed beautifully. As for Soundtracks, it was very well matched with situations. Animation/art was pretty much decent too. Overall, it was indeed an excellent series. Really loved how it ended too.

Grade - B (8/10)
Dec 22, 2015 10:07 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
k11chi said:
Signore said:
2/10 Fuck A-1 and Kanbe

You don't like A-1 pictures?
Looking at his mean score he doesnt like everything. (Except, ofc, the usual LoGH, Monster, Mushishi and etc)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 22, 2015 10:51 AM

May 2012
Pretty lovely disclosure for this anime and the overall case I must say! The overall atmosphere, setting, character and case development were really properly done. Together with the adjusted pacing to make the setting also a lot better made it in general really lovely to watch and not too boring even though the pacing seen as is was slower than first expected.

Other than that I really did love this anime as it had a really strong setting and quite the case to solve! So all in all a great anime I must say.
Dec 22, 2015 3:11 PM

Feb 2010
It could've been a decent 7-8 episodes series without Nishinosono, she wasted so much time.
Dec 22, 2015 8:41 PM
Nov 2015
This was a very well done last episode and series in general. I have to say though that I found the relationship between the main two characters more interesting than the murder mystery.
Dec 23, 2015 8:12 AM

Apr 2014
Sadly the trend is ppl that dislike this anime are a bit on the young side. Also judging my their taste it seems they are to accustomed to a generic format of anime. I personally loved it it's a great mystery with enough twists. And it all made sense in the end. For those who can't understand it that's your fault not the anime. Well no need to rant or review since we all saw it. Overall 8.5/10 but I'll say 8/10 for my mal score.
Dec 23, 2015 8:30 AM

Mar 2012
i dont know how i got through this series lmao
solid 3
Dec 23, 2015 10:04 AM

Sep 2013
Boring mystery - Annoying characters - Way too slow pacing - Pretentious philosophical stuff. Well, at least its over. 4/10
Dec 25, 2015 4:29 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely much better than Sakurako-san in terms of mystery and pacing.

As someone mentioned before me, Magata-sensei was the embodiment of nihilism. Her logic and morals or lack thereof, function in a way that people like Moe and those around her cannot fathom.

I enjoyed the OST as well, it was beautiful especially the violin piece that played when Magata and her daughter spoke with one another.

One of the best series for Autumn 2015.
臭い-
Dec 25, 2015 3:47 PM

Jul 2007
delija9091 said:
Boring mystery - Annoying characters - Way too slow pacing - Pretentious philosophical stuff.

IKR

The mystery was contrived and made no sense.
There was not even single character that would be likeable and I personally would liked to punch pretty much every character inthe face.

And the try-and-fail attempts at random philosophy were hilarious by how out of place they were. Philosophical debates are good and all but this was literally just there to check the check-mark of being even more pretentious.
Dec 26, 2015 1:37 PM

Dec 2012
Magata escaped to the police. This was a good finale, the mystery is now resolved and Saikawa starts to become closer with Moe.
Subete ga is a good mystery anime with some thrilling moments, but in my opinion the mystery about Magata was too long to attract the viewer during 11 episodes.
One of the things that I loved about this anime is the realistic scene, especially about IT and psychological talks.
Dec 26, 2015 7:11 PM

Feb 2013
Well, that was a fun ride. I thought this "aftermath" episode was a fitting end. I would have preferred if Magata played a more direct role in the series, but then I guess it wouldn't have had the charm of mystery around her.

7/10 (good) overall.
Dec 27, 2015 4:46 AM

Jul 2012
Amazing directing and cinematography. The highlights are the scenes where they switch back between different scenes with a good usage of music. For example, switching between Magata x Uncle car scene vs Nishi & Sensei scenes earlier on. And an example in this episode was their conversation near the second half.

...Unfortunately, that's probably the only strong point.

The characters could have been developed better or explored. Moe came off really annoying most of the series and I actually started to like her after her backstory was fleshed out near the end. I wish they focused more on that, rather than the mystery part of the series.

However, I know that this isn't over yet. If it never gets a sequel, I'll definitely check out the original sources if they are translated!

7/10 Good ride, but just somewhat weak characters and didn't focus on the better things.
Dec 27, 2015 8:58 AM

Mar 2012
The early and later episodes were the best parts. Good mystery overall
Dec 27, 2015 10:00 AM

Jun 2013
That was okay. The suspense and drama really made interested in this show. But I don't understand her motive. I mean if she wanted to be free from the human nature then she could've have done it by just listening to the voice of her conscience. And what did she achieve in the end by doing all this? One other thing that I didn't understand is that why are they referring to her as doctor when she is a computer programmer? Doesn't make sense.

Overall 6/10
I-JitsuDec 27, 2015 10:07 AM
Dec 27, 2015 3:18 PM
Nov 2010
This is a fine representative of the mystery genre. It wasn't anything outstanding, but it kept me interested and made sense. I also liked the production.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

278 by wildhood »»
Mar 8, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2015

175 by 0arche »»
Jan 10, 9:11 AM

» For anyone who want to know why shiki escaped the island and her story in light novel

Baoyeuconpo9999 - Mar 10, 2023

3 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Mar 11, 2023 8:59 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

172 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 11:06 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

184 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 9:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.