Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 15, 2015 4:58 AM

Mar 2013
Season 2
Just made no sense

And maybe there were a few things it could have done better
Dec 15, 2015 5:07 AM

Nov 2015
As a certified elitist. I didnt hate psycho pass, it looked like I would but didnt. Cant say I really enjoyed it, but it was fine. Nothing great nothing terrible
Dec 15, 2015 5:49 AM

Jul 2013
Yasukoto said:
As a certified elitist. I didnt hate psycho pass, it looked like I would but didnt. Cant say I really enjoyed it, but it was fine. Nothing great nothing terrible

Real elitist don't acknowledge themselves as elitist.
Dec 15, 2015 6:10 AM

Jul 2015
JewellTH said:
Deago said:
Because elitists

All you need.

Tell me again that I'm one of the only decent NGE fan please <3.
Dec 15, 2015 6:21 AM

Oct 2012
Its because its a knockoff of Brazil, Minority Report, Blade Runner and Gattaca, all of which are better than PP could ever hope to be.
Dec 15, 2015 6:23 AM

Jun 2015
It was fine, but I found it quite bad until ep 12 or so when
The school part specially, so boring.
When later on I watched Ghost in the Shell:SAC, the rip-off feel was intense. But obviously the tone was still radically different. Comparing them just makes no justice to GitS
Dec 15, 2015 6:23 AM

Jan 2011
ok i guess im not an elitist after all?
Dec 15, 2015 6:26 AM

Jun 2015
I don't hate Psycho Pass, but I don't consider myself a fan of it either. It has nice concepts, but it loses me with its repetitive info-dumping and constant philosophical quoting. And it gets so caught up in its themes and philosophy that it dismisses proper characterization and story merits. I couldn't get invested in most of the characters since they're more or less just vessels meant to either move the plot forward or quote something philosophical to seemingly justify their actions. And it's because they don't get proper characterization or development that most of their actions aren't justified enough and as such the themes aren't delved into. Shougo Makishima in particular constantly quotes random literature to justify murder of all things. Sorry, but I just can't buy that. And these are similar problems I have with Madoka Magica as well. Not surprising as they were written by the same guy.

And here's what I don't get about Urobuchi, he writes a story about the "inner desires" of human beings, and yet the only desire he can think of is murder. Quite unimaginative if you ask me. Plus, I was taken completely out of the story when they introduced the schoolgirl that turned other schoolgirls into plastic sculptures. That was so unbelievably stupid.

But like I said, I don't hate the show. It has great animation and some decent action. The concepts are interesting as well. But because of the poor characterization and somewhat bland story, as well as many logic holes, it's more of a popcorn show to me than anything else. As far as sci-fi thrillers go, I much prefer Ghost in the Shell and Ergo Proxy.
Dec 15, 2015 6:29 AM

Sep 2015
This is the first I'm hearing of elitists hating Psycho Pass. But on the topic of elitists do a lot of them have high praise for Aria the Scarlet Ammo? I remember hearing this somewhere just wondering if that's true or not.
Dec 15, 2015 6:31 AM

Oct 2012
amk_2397 said:
This is the first I'm hearing of elitists hating Psycho Pass. But on the topic of elitists do a lot of them have high praise for Aria the Scarlet Ammo? I remember hearing this somewhere just wondering if that's true or not.
Wrong Aria
Dec 15, 2015 6:38 AM

Sep 2015
Feaor said:
amk_2397 said:
Wrong Aria

Nah I meant Scarlet Ammo. I'm sure the other one is praised by elitists too though.
Dec 15, 2015 6:45 AM

Mar 2012
Well I personally disliked it because it was very typical cyberpunk. I've got nothing against borrowing ideas and themes from stuff you like but you've gotta bring something new to the table. I don't care how much you agree with Phillip K Dick, you can't just go following the exact same steps to the point where you basically just end up reaching the exact same conclusion.

Plus the way the show gets its messages across is incredibly hamfisted. Shougo literally explains the themes for you half the time. He even explicitly spells out in one incredibly awkward dialogue heavy scene how the show's themes borrow from 'Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?'. His dialogue is so absurd in some scenes that it's borderline 4th wall breaking.

The Movie was actually pretty good though. Nothing mindblowing but I liked how it expanded on the show's themes. Plus it had some solid action setpieces and Shougo wasn't there to stink up the place with his pretentious ramblings.
SeibaaHomuDec 15, 2015 6:50 AM
Dec 15, 2015 6:46 AM

Jul 2015
Buo said:
Snappynator said:

I'm gonna go ahead and save that in my elitist folder.

Haha yeah that pic could be useful, I'll save it too :p
Dec 15, 2015 7:05 AM

Feb 2013
Fai said:
Psycho Pass is to GITS is the same as if Mari Okada tried to copypaste Madoka.

She did
Dec 15, 2015 7:09 AM

Dec 2012
Because they took one semester of Intro to Philosophy at a community college and can now lay down the law on how pretentious it is for using quotes from sources they're unfamiliar with! Also Makishima poor man's Johann look at me so sophisticates xDDD
Dec 15, 2015 7:16 AM

Jun 2013
Fai said:
Gits rip off
Sexist
Lacks strong and interesting protagonist
Setting more generic
Second season onward a complete kitsch.
Dec 15, 2015 7:36 AM

Jun 2007
I didn't know elitists hated it. Just goes to show they're unpleasable, if even a show that goes out of its way not to include moé elements isn't good enough for them.
Dec 15, 2015 7:45 AM

Jul 2007
gedata said:
Fai said:
Psycho Pass is to GITS is the same as if Mari Okada tried to copypaste Madoka.

She did

I am pretty sure that was my point :^)
Dec 15, 2015 8:20 AM
Dec 2015
Because GITS is one of those 'cool' anime to like if you're vacuous and don't really know much about anime. Psycho Pass is one of the rare anime to totally blow me away. I'm getting like that with Parasyte a little bit, too.....
Dec 15, 2015 8:34 AM

Feb 2014
Psycho Pass is amazing. Its got everything sci-fi fan could want.
Dec 15, 2015 8:36 AM

Dec 2013
Because it lacked originality in every single way, shape and form and it sacrifices a good story and well thought out characters for this;

(A bit of intelligence that is overpowered by action movie loving middle age men).

It was as big of an upset as the second season of Ghost in the Shell SAC which I found also to be lacking in originality and very much takes the same boring, overused good versus good with misguided intentions.
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Dec 15, 2015 8:51 AM

Apr 2011
Cause Psycho Pass just isn't that good, the first season was ok I didn't hate it. It was a disappointment though, as I was hyping that show before most people due to seeing some premise summaries and hearing the director had "banned moe' from the production office".

GitS is just better... Better writing, better characters, better setting/world. Monster is better as well... Psycho Pass is not in their league, don't be salty about it lol.

Also it's funny how you use elitist as an insult, if we're elitist then wouldn't we only like what's best? Meaning Psycho Pass just isn't considered the best...
Dec 15, 2015 8:58 AM

Mar 2014
Zalis said:
I didn't know elitists hated it. Just goes to show they're unpleasable, if even a show that goes out of its way not to include moé elements isn't good enough for them.
I didn't know disliking rip offs = elitist
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 15, 2015 10:31 AM

Feb 2015
wait - people hate psycho pass? why?
Dec 15, 2015 10:39 AM

Jun 2012
Dante_Cubit said:
Because GITS is one of those 'cool' anime to like if you're vacuous and don't really know much about anime. Psycho Pass is one of the rare anime to totally blow me away. I'm getting like that with Parasyte a little bit, too.....
Man, you created an alt account just so you could bait really poorly.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 15, 2015 10:41 AM

Mar 2014
Personally, I don't understand how someone can hate Pscyho Pass. But to each his own.
Dec 15, 2015 10:41 AM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Psycho-Pass board.
Dec 15, 2015 10:45 AM
Feb 2014
Because they think it's a rip off of Ghost in the Shell and it became popularized by ThatAnimeSnob.
Dec 15, 2015 10:56 AM

Mar 2012
Because the characters are Pretentious Incarnate.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 17, 2015 4:50 AM

Dec 2015
Imaishi said:
I don't know about elitists but I hate it because of Makishima

I'm infinitely fascinated by neural connections your brain must have fabricated to reach such an unreachable conclusion.
Come on, Makishima Shogo is shiny perfect.
Name three things wrong with him.
Dec 20, 2015 3:43 PM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
I love it BECAUSE of Makishima
Dec 20, 2015 3:45 PM

May 2015
Randoll_ said:
gabrielrroiz said:

sure a guy that wants to rebel against a system that only brings advantages to him is a awesome antagonist

if thats your view on life then this is truly sad
people are good when they do what bring them advantages
all that 'nonsensical literature' many ppl seem to hate psycho pass for changed something in makishima and his world view

WORD
Dec 20, 2015 3:47 PM

May 2015
ObliviousOkapi said:
Imaishi said:

I'm infinitely fascinated by neural connections your brain must have fabricated to reach such an unreachable conclusion.
Come on, Makishima Shogo is shiny perfect.
Name three things wrong with him.

eXACTLY
Dec 24, 2015 12:07 PM

Oct 2014
White_Hawk2099 said:
Randoll_ said:

if thats your view on life then this is truly sad
people are good when they do what bring them advantages
all that 'nonsensical literature' many ppl seem to hate psycho pass for changed something in makishima and his world view

WORD

the problem is seeing the person that benefits the most from the sybil sistem being the only one that wants to show what were the sistem flaws
Dec 28, 2015 8:03 AM
Dec 2015
Randoll_ said:
Yet praise Ghost in the Shell and the antagonist from Monster when you can find all of it done better in Psycho Pass aswell?

Funny that you mention Ghost in the shell. When i first started watching Psycho pass I thought it had the same gritty feeling with the ability to drive home strong emotions and situations. People often hate or dislike what they don't understand.
Dec 28, 2015 8:06 AM

Jan 2014
It is because it is liked by the general public, not just by a select few of the elite.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 28, 2015 1:59 PM

Dec 2015
I don't like GitS and I don't like Ergo Proxy. I like Monster and I love Psycho Pass. I score the anime depending on how much I enjoyed watching them.

Only making complicated and philosophical stuff with bad and slow pacing (like Ergo Proxy) is not enough to make me enjoy it. In fact I even dislike such stuff and prefer much simpler stuff if the pacing is good, if I like the chars and if the setting is cool.

I like the chars in Psycho Pass and the setting is cool. Also it has some philosophical stuff - the guys always quoting some literatur and the world with the Sybil system. And the pacing and OST are very good. First I thought it was going to be some eposidcal stuff or stuff with smaller independent arcs but it early started with hints to the main antagonist and the overall main story which kept me interested. That's what makes Psycho Pass perfect. At least season 1 which works perfect with an open end and without sequel. Season 2 and the movie weren't that good.

And I consider myself an "elitist". Only thing that isn't important to me is "animation" (good art and sound is more important than ugly but good animated stuff).
Feb 22, 2016 8:21 PM

May 2015
so many dumbasses in this thread it's unreal

I thought Psycho-Pass was a pretty fun watch; it definitely has some flaws with its [lack of] character development and the no-focus storytelling but was still entertaining
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Feb 22, 2016 8:25 PM

Nov 2014
They do? I thought it was good.

Feb 22, 2016 8:26 PM

Dec 2015
Ghost in the shell is elitist?

I think I need an elitist pleb chart because I don't fucking understand what people on MAL mean when they call things or people elitst/pleb.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 6, 2017 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
I find psycho pass to be better than ghost in the shell because psycho pass better direct and well thought out story but it ghost in the shell sometimes I feel like it doesn't know where its going
Apr 19, 2017 2:02 PM

May 2010
Because their hearts are too small to love more than just a few titles so they just stick to them.
Apr 28, 2017 9:31 AM
Nov 2016
http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/top-10-police-anime-japan-poll/

Psycho-Pass is rank higher than Ghost in the Shell in Japan poll but somehow in west Ghost in the Shell are more praise because of Psycho-Pass circlejerk though.

For me I prefer Psycho-Passthan Ghost in the Shell and Mosnter because
-more interesting character
-better antoganist
-more relatable character
-less pretentious
Sep 30, 2017 10:40 AM

Oct 2010
Assuming we are talking about Stand Alone Complex and not the original '95 GitS, then I prefer Psycho-Pass. I thought Stand Alone Complex had far too much dialogue and political jargon. I also thought the characters were a little too robotic, I couldn't get emotionally invested in them in the same way as I could with the characters in Psycho-Pass. That said, they are still two very different series despite being made by the same studio and in a similar cyberpunk setting.

I actually think the central idea in Psycho-Pass - whether we should quantify how good or evil someone is - was interesting and well-done. I do think some of its other ideas, such as the whole online community thing and the move towards cybernetic bodies, could've perhaps been further developed.

The cast was solid. The Enforcers and Inspectors were well characterised and, in the cases of Akane and Ginoza, received ample character development come the season's end. Masaoka was one of my favourite character's as I felt he was the link between old society and post-Sibyl society, and how it affected him as a detective. Not to mention he was an extremely likable and sympathetic character.

Mikashima steals the show as the series' antagonist. He believes that freedom of expression and thought are the highest virtues, hence he is the main opponent to the Sibyl system. People criticise his character because he quotes a lot of classics and philosophers, but they are simply used to reinforce his beliefs. He reminds me of Kazuho from Texhnolyze in some ways. Great character.

Art is impressive, detailed character designs work well against the backdrop of a cyberpunk setting. CG was used effectively and never felt out of place. Animation was just as good, movements were fluid and action scenes were well choreographed. Sound was also solid. Two very good OPs and two very good EDs. Background music was subtle, almost unnoticeable at times, yet effective.

Honestly, it's a very good series. The writing isn't as perfect as Madoka Magica but it is still an excellent police thriller with some interesting ideas. For my money, I think it is better than Stand Alone Complex. A very strong 8 out of 10, bordering on a 9 out of 10.
Oct 8, 2018 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
The characters are just really bland archetypes that I didn't care about. The character development was poorly done and rushed. That's the main reason why I thought the show was mediocre. The action was good and excluding the random literature quoting, Makishima was decent. The first half dragged too much.
Oct 8, 2018 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
Zalis said:

That's the lowest bar for a sci-fi show. Shows shouldn't be getting a prize for basic quality.
Oct 9, 2018 9:11 AM
Oct 2018
I'm not an elitist but I definitely think this is overrated by many. It's a decent show, but nothing fantastic.
Oct 9, 2018 9:33 AM

Dec 2013
I think the problem here is that you're referring to elitists as a monolith. I don't doubt that there are elitists that hate this, but I do think that there are plenty of elitists who also love this.

I love Psycho-Pass, despite there being people who label me as an elitist because of my favorites list. So no. Not all elitists hate Psycho-Pass.
Oct 13, 2018 9:23 PM
Aug 2018
What is elitists?
Nov 4, 2018 7:48 AM
Sep 2012
This thread is dumb, just like all threads about "elitists". Just full of people debating elitism, generalizing a group of people that doesn't even really exist.

Also, most people I consider "elitists" would say Psycho Pass is pretty good, better than most anime. For example, I would consider the YouTuber Digibro an elitist, and he likes Psycho Pass a lot.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2013

928 by EndSh0t »»
Yesterday, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2013

329 by Saww_Duss »»
Apr 22, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2013

273 by ANIk_003 »»
Mar 7, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

352 by The_Black_B3ast »»
Mar 4, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

288 by The_Black_B3ast »»
Mar 2, 9:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.