Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 13, 2015 4:41 PM

Jul 2014
lol no
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Dec 13, 2015 5:20 PM

Jan 2014
Intriguing.......but no.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 13, 2015 5:58 PM
Oct 2012
Chiki said:
Now, we all know that One Punch Man is supposed to be a parody of other shonens

OPM is not a parody. At times it is an homage, but it is not a parody. Oh, and it isn't a comedy either. This doesn't mean that it does not have humor, the writer has a great deal of wit, but the series is not a comedy. Saitama is Superman without the kyrptonite or a Mircleman without the delusions of being a god. Personally, I like to see he as fate, the unbeatable reality that all the other heroes eventually have to face.

Chiki said:
I actually have proof for this assertion. One of the strangest parts in One Punch Man is when the world's supposedly "strongest man" Saitama can't even kill a mosquito.

Or it could just mean that normal mosquito's are more powerful than the "monsters" he has faced :-) In that he immediately afterwards smacked Mosquito-Queen, a product of a evil genius lab, I would say that is what the author was going for....

Outside of that liked the theory, just am tired of "oh its a parody" slant. Licenseless rider vs. the Sea King should have killed that theory. The mutual respect each had for the other at the end is the true theme of this show. Its one of the best illustrations of what "being a hero" really means.
Takuan_SohoDec 13, 2015 6:05 PM
Dec 13, 2015 6:36 PM

Sep 2011
^ I don't agree with the parody stuff. Yes, it has some parodies in it, however is Assassination Classroom considered a parody to make parodies of Naruto, for example? No, and it's the same thing. OPM is not even as straightforward as Assassination Classroom on that matter. A parody anime is a series like Gintama.
But OPM is without a doubt an action comedy

About the mosquito thing, I don't get how people don't understand that that was just a gag... It seems like they never watched a shounen series before. I'm not saying OPM is a shounen but shounens do have a lot of gags when you put a character in a situations where he can't do something that normally he should be able to easly do it, or situations where a character is hurt by something that shouldn't even faze him or sometimes not even feel it at all Those situations are always made just for comedic purposes and it's not to be taken seriously
Dec 13, 2015 7:03 PM

Jun 2013
Everything is within the Matrix.
Dec 13, 2015 7:13 PM

Sep 2014
Dec 13, 2015 8:00 PM

Nov 2008
Sigh One already told us in an interview when they asked him what he thinks about the internet. And sexuality in Japan.
"People are getting addicted and would rather jerk off all day to anime instead of having sex in the real life".

He One Punched his dragon every all day every day until he got this strong.
Dec 14, 2015 8:33 PM
Oct 2010
Veldin461 said:
OPM is without a doubt an action comedy

About the mosquito thing, I don't get how people don't understand that that was just a gag...

Yup, simple as that.

If people want to "see" other things in there, go ahead.
Dec 14, 2015 8:38 PM

Jan 2015
That was weak, man.
Dec 14, 2015 8:46 PM
Aug 2012
my dog threw up after looking at your post
Dec 15, 2015 11:07 AM

Feb 2015
It's nice to have your own theories about it but how do you explain the fact that he can easily destroy inanimate objects and buildings with his power if your theory was true and the bad guys did do that then how is he able to use super strength on things that can't even feel sorry for him and are just destroyed through his power.
Dec 15, 2015 11:35 AM

Jan 2010
Veldin461 said:
Oh, I get it. This theory is just a parody of theories. Mindblown =O

LMMFAO!!! This has to be one of the best comments I have seen though I did find this theory entertaining.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Dec 15, 2015 11:45 AM

Sep 2013
I have solve the mosquito mystery.
The mosquito was just lucky, it kept getting into the gaps of saitama's fingers.

GG
Dec 15, 2015 12:44 PM
Dec 2015
Everyone of saitamas power is very strong and can destroy a building with bare hands so if they had let saitama win saitama it wouldnt kill them because they are too strong to go down with one hit from a human...also the episode that saitama couldnt kill the mosquito wants to see you who annoying is the mosquito
Dec 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Dec 2013
Chiki said:
Saitama can't even kill a mosquito.

That mosquito is the end boss
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Dec 15, 2015 1:04 PM

Dec 2015
That theory tho.

Dec 15, 2015 7:11 PM
Oct 2015
Chiki said:
Hi everyone. Now, we all know that One Punch Man is supposed to be a parody of other shonens, in which the main character is usually weak and then becomes the strongest as the manga goes on. One Punch Man is a parody, though: the main character starts out as by far the strongest. So it isn't a real shonen/seinen/whatever manga, it's really mainly a parody and a comedy.

But what if the author decided to take this parody even further? What if the premise of the entire manga, that Saitama is the strongest, was a joke as well? This doesn't seem impossible given that this is supposed to be a comedy manga. This would be one of the most interesting and groundbreaking revelations in manga history. What if Saitama was just a normal everyday guy whose opponents felt sorry for him and let him win every time?

I actually have proof for this assertion. One of the strangest parts in One Punch Man is when the world's supposedly "strongest man" Saitama can't even kill a mosquito. No matter how hard he tries, he catches the mosquito in between the world's strongest hands and he fails to kill a goddamn mosquito. How sad is that? How can the world's strongest man fail to kill a mosquito with his bare hands? Even I can do that, in fact I just did it earlier today. This man who supposedly defeated all these powerful bosses and villains can't even kill a mosquito? There's something fishy here and you know it.

This is the author's way of giving us a message. Saitama is too weak to kill even a mosquito; if he can't kill a mosquito but he can kill the strongest guys in the world, that's just a logical contradiction. Therefore, since it's a contradiction, he must be unable to kill the strongest guys in the world.

All of the bad guys in the manga just let him win. That's right: when they see Saitama's pathetic bald appearance with his ridiculous looking outfit, they feel bad for him and let him win. For example, when he killed Vaccine Man in the first episode, Vaccine Man had a major internal laugh at Saitama's appearance and exploded himself the moment Saitama punched him because he felt bad at Saitama's weakness. All of Saitama's battles in the manga have turned out this way, as well.

What do you guys think?

Let me tell you why you're wrong.
You're writing this theory on the basis that the series as a whole is a parody. It makes jokes of tropes, but the story isn't a parody. The mosquito scene is just a scene making a joke about everyone hating mosquitoes.
Dec 15, 2015 10:46 PM

Oct 2015
^
^
^
All people above = facepalm
Dec 16, 2015 9:46 AM
Dec 2012
Benphyre said:
Chiki said:
Saitama can't even kill a mosquito.

That mosquito is the end boss

Yup...he is the mosquito version of saitama...if you look very close, on some angle shots you can see that the mosquito is bald.
Dec 16, 2015 2:47 PM
Oct 2012
Veldin461 said:
Yes, it has some parodies in it, however is Assassination Classroom considered a parody to make parodies of Naruto, for example? No, and it's the same thing.

No. First, a parody is not when something refers to another show, that is a reference or an homage. A parody is: a work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule.

Extremely little in OPM suggests that it is meant as a parody. Saitama is a true hero, other heroes in this show are true heroes. The artwork is unique, the writing is not an imitation of anything. Yes, there is a great deal of comedy, but the comedy alone is not enough to carry this show (as it does in either Dr. Slump or Gintama, two true parodies), rather it is the fairly serious bits that make the show (Licenseless Rider vs. the Sea King, the relationship between Saitama and Genos). Now is Boros an homage to Dragon Ball? Probably, but there really isn't anything comedic about the fight.

Assassination Classroom is likewise not a parody (and definitely not of Naruto, why do people think that Naruto created the Shounen genre? One Piece is older, so if they are going to select a recent Shounen (ignoring the nearly 50 year history of the Genre) why don't people pick One Piece?). It uses "assassination" as a metaphor for academic effort. Koro is actually teaching the kids valuable life lessons, thinking it is only about humor misses what makes the series interesting.
Dec 16, 2015 3:32 PM

Sep 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
Veldin461 said:
Yes, it has some parodies in it, however is Assassination Classroom considered a parody to make parodies of Naruto, for example? No, and it's the same thing.

No. First, a parody is not when something refers to another show, that is a reference or an homage. A parody is: a work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule.

Extremely little in OPM suggests that it is meant as a parody. Saitama is a true hero, other heroes in this show are true heroes. The artwork is unique, the writing is not an imitation of anything. Yes, there is a great deal of comedy, but the comedy alone is not enough to carry this show (as it does in either Dr. Slump or Gintama, two true parodies), rather it is the fairly serious bits that make the show (Licenseless Rider vs. the Sea King, the relationship between Saitama and Genos). Now is Boros an homage to Dragon Ball? Probably, but there really isn't anything comedic about the fight.

Assassination Classroom is likewise not a parody (and definitely not of Naruto, why do people think that Naruto created the Shounen genre? One Piece is older, so if they are going to select a recent Shounen (ignoring the nearly 50 year history of the Genre) why don't people pick One Piece?). It uses "assassination" as a metaphor for academic effort. Koro is actually teaching the kids valuable life lessons, thinking it is only about humor misses what makes the series interesting.

Dude, you denied and corrected me(well, in fact you didn't, but okay. read my comment again, please) just to get to the exact same point as me? wtf?
Dec 17, 2015 6:12 PM
Oct 2012
Veldin461 said:
Dude, you denied and corrected me(well, in fact you didn't, but okay. read my comment again, please) just to get to the exact same point as me? wtf?

Sorry, poor reading comprehension on my part. The opening "Yes, it has some parodies in it" distracted me from your very good next point. I missed that you were saying that "other" people think AC is a parody. Chalk it up to me just being tired of the infinite multitude of other people using the word "parody" incorrectly; combined with the same people comparing every single shounen to Naruto as if Naruto was the end all, be all of shounen (not to say that Naruto isn't an extremely good shounen, though ending a year sooner would have been preferred but the genre existed long before) as well as probably reading a bit too fast.

Though, to walk back my apology just a bit :-) OPM does not have "some parodies" in it, so here you did use the word wrong (though it is irrelevant to your next point, it did trigger my "I wish people would stop using parody incorrectly" fetish). A parody is a parody, it isn't a singular event. OPM references Dragon Ball or Anpan Man, but nothing suggests that the writer is imitating such shows for comedic effect, or as is more often the case with parody, to ridicule those shows. The writer (as does the artist) obviously admires both series and his use of Boros as Frieze or inverting Anpan Man's uniform is a form of tribute, or homage, not a parody (to be a parody there would have to be some point with the use of either).

But that aside, I did misread, so for that I do apologize.
Dec 17, 2015 8:58 PM

Dec 2015
Looks like you worked hard for the theory and made it but you know what you tell is not true Saitama is strong enough to defeat every monster he face I am sure when you will see the Final episode you will get it and also what about the Meteorite was it wrong as for the Mosquito I don't think that proves saitama is weak that was just added for fun and if saitama was not even strong enough to defeat a Mosquito How the hell did he passed the Hero Exam the theory is good but wrong.
Jan 11, 2016 4:02 PM
Oct 2015
Chiki, your posts are the dumbest!! The most ridiculous things in this world right now, you know that? :D I mean look at them yourself, meteor feeling sorry for someone? Is this a kindergarden?
Jan 11, 2016 6:59 PM

Jul 2015
lmao, interesting idea.
Jan 14, 2016 11:13 PM

May 2014
Illyricus- said:
perje said:

This thread in a nutshell.
Was waiting for someone to post this...
Jan 15, 2016 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
I guess the rain felt pity when he punched Deep Sea King.

Alright.
Jul 25, 2016 9:51 AM
Mar 2016
That theory was so legit I had to poop immediately
Jul 28, 2016 11:31 AM
May 2016
so wait the mountain was just gone
does the mountain have a mind of its own now ? oh and the earth's clouds i guess they also felt sorry for saitama right ?
Aug 1, 2016 1:59 AM
Aug 2016
Explain episode 5. Saitama trying out to be a hero. Top scores ever recorded.
Plus he punched a meteor in a later episode.
Aug 14, 2016 4:37 PM

Mar 2015
Doesn't feel likely. Besides killing his enemies in one punch, Saitama also lays waste to the surroundings. Are you telling me that the landscape also destroys itself out of pity?
Aug 20, 2016 10:49 PM
Aug 2016
If his enemies just let him win,then what about the FREAKING METEOR HE SMASHED INTO PIECES,METEORS DON'T HAVE FREAKING FEELINGS
Aug 21, 2016 7:21 AM

Nov 2015
MarcTheGamer01 said:
If his enemies just let him win,then what about the FREAKING METEOR HE SMASHED INTO PIECES,METEORS DON'T HAVE FREAKING FEELINGS

not with that attitude. How can you be sure that meteors in their world doesn't have the capability to feel?
Sep 1, 2016 6:41 PM

Jun 2008
error5000 said:
They felt so much pity that killed themselves?

Seems legit to me.
I guess that time he was punched to moon and then flew back was just a pity punch.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Sep 3, 2016 11:20 AM

Apr 2009
The mosquito > Class S
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2016 5:12 PM

Jul 2015
Most halarious theory I ever read. I feel so bad for you that I will punch a giant whole through myself and die ;)

Sep 29, 2016 5:36 PM
May 2016
i cant stop laughting bro thanks

But no, that would be pretty lame and disappointing
Sep 29, 2016 5:37 PM
May 2016
Freya_Magna said:
i support this too, if you can see it in another perspective, maybe the true strongest hero in the universe is pity him and gave him a hand in every fight while stopping the flow of time.

edit: oh shit, i subconsciously copying that chuck norris post and write it in slightly lame way D:

Blast is saving and helping Saitama everytime, We just discover the end of OPM
Oct 11, 2016 9:38 AM
Oct 2016
Illyricus said:
Hmmm...

The Titan man who was pissed with Saitama for "killing his brother" let him win despite blame him of killing his loved brother?

Carnage Kabuto, who even use his strongest form to fight Saitama after being scared by his mere presence, decided to rip himself to pieces just because he felt pity for Saitama?

The meteorite, an inanimate thing, felt pity for Saitama?

G_Spark233 said:
Seems like a pretty legit theory.

Exactly, and so did the moon
Oct 14, 2016 2:47 AM
Oct 2016
Nov 1, 2016 10:42 AM
Nov 2016
Chiki said:
Hi everyone. Now, we all know that One Punch Man is supposed to be a parody of other shonens, in which the main character is usually weak and then becomes the strongest as the manga goes on. One Punch Man is a parody, though: the main character starts out as by far the strongest. So it isn't a real shonen/seinen/whatever manga, it's really mainly a parody and a comedy.

But what if the author decided to take this parody even further? What if the premise of the entire manga, that Saitama is the strongest, was a joke as well? This doesn't seem impossible given that this is supposed to be a comedy manga. This would be one of the most interesting and groundbreaking revelations in manga history. What if Saitama was just a normal everyday guy whose opponents felt sorry for him and let him win every time?

I actually have proof for this assertion. One of the strangest parts in One Punch Man is when the world's supposedly "strongest man" Saitama can't even kill a mosquito. No matter how hard he tries, he catches the mosquito in between the world's strongest hands and he fails to kill a goddamn mosquito. How sad is that? How can the world's strongest man fail to kill a mosquito with his bare hands? Even I can do that, in fact I just did it earlier today. This man who supposedly defeated all these powerful bosses and villains can't even kill a mosquito? There's something fishy here and you know it.

This is the author's way of giving us a message. Saitama is too weak to kill even a mosquito; if he can't kill a mosquito but he can kill the strongest guys in the world, that's just a logical contradiction. Therefore, since it's a contradiction, he must be unable to kill the strongest guys in the world.

All of the bad guys in the manga just let him win. That's right: when they see Saitama's pathetic bald appearance with his ridiculous looking outfit, they feel bad for him and let him win. For example, when he killed Vaccine Man in the first episode, Vaccine Man had a major internal laugh at Saitama's appearance and exploded himself the moment Saitama punched him because he felt bad at Saitama's weakness. All of Saitama's battles in the manga have turned out this way, as well.

What do you guys think?

Probably a spoiler in these next lines so watch out.

What about his fight with Boros when he got punch to the moon and just jumped back? And he also held his breath in space solo pretty sure he's called OP man for a good reason. And don't tell me the moon felt sorry for him or something.
Jan 13, 2019 6:19 AM
Dec 2018
I know this comment is years behind the OP thoughts about One Punch Man’s power, yes I know it’s suppose to be a spoof, comedy, gag in regards to other manga hero’s and their; origins, powers, struggles they go through while fighting evil. However, with season 2 coming out soon, why not open the topic up again?

I want to say first, that I haven’t read the manga, if it has opened up anything else, please feel free to correct me. I have watched the anime over, over, and over again. It is an enjoyable show period. On one hand, I don’t see a need to solve the mystery of his god-like strength and invulnerability. One the other hand, I get it. It’s a mystery and our minds love to solve enigma’s. Some thoughts about one of the comments: The mosquitos “couldn’t kill a bug” thing. This seemed to be a sight gag, trying to kill a bug but missing it over and over again, making it seemingly “unkillable”. Not that he couldn’t kill it, I think it was just for laughs. Some one on another post said that the mosquitoes were indestructible-hybrid bugs. I dont buy that at all as Genos kills millions of them while fighting the mosquito monster lady.

The only premise they give is the “3-years of training, trained until he went bald, became so strong, no one could beat him”. I could mentally leave the mystery at that but, there has been a couple instances of internal power flare up they show in the anime. The first time was after he defeated the crab-guy, his irises flared/glowed. In the dream sequence, while fighting’s the mole men, they do it again. Frankly, this could simply be a case of “passion burning in his eyes” for something he loves doing. The other only flare up/power indication they show is after he bursts into borus’s (throne) room/chamber. Boris is looking at him and they animate a wavering glow around Saitama and Borus internally comments, “I can sense no limit to his power”. <Hindsight for Borus... kinda stupid to fight him if you recognized this upon seeing him in person?!>

Something/and idea did click today though about Saitama’s power origins-inheritance while reading everyone’s comments about different fights and events in the anime.

His first fight with the crab-man monster, he talks about what he wanted to be when he was younger, a hero who could defeat bad guys with one punch. He does beat the crab guy but takes some good damage (blood from his head and arm) and defeats him not with strength but rather a lucky weakness. Pullling the crabs eye, brain, and lots of unknown gooey things out with his business suit tie. Backing up on this episode and as other know, crab-guy are too many crabs and became a crab monster. After Saitama defeats the crab guy, they show the first time power flare-up in his eyes. It’s not concrete but curiosity if the crab guys odd change from over-indulging in something, transferred to Saitama after he killed him?
I ate so many crabs = becomes crab-man
I trained so hard = becomes the strongest man
Again, this is all in fun speculation about it, it could be nothing more than the shows creators showing Saitama’s passion for a “real fight”, as he says, something he has “forgotten the feeling of”, both eye flare ups were from fighting too.

So don’t take it seriously. I only wanted to add to the subject/thoughts about his power and point out the odd/rare power indications given which aren’t just physical examples; punching, slaps the mosquito lady, kicking baddies, tearing the alien ship door out of the wall by accident, ect. The show typically shows only these types of power levels, not internal energy. The glowing eyes and his body through Borus’s visual of him (could) indicate an unknown yet infinite power inside him.

Again, super late follow up comment but any thoughts?
DarkmatteranimeJan 13, 2019 6:24 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Live Action Movie gets new writers (Rick and Morty writer and creator)

OvergrownRover - Apr 14

2 by Kadano »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2015

346 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Apr 22, 2:24 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

986 by larryfirst »»
Mar 28, 5:27 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

337 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Mar 18, 12:48 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

791 by Jiborjas »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.