Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days Episode 1 Discussion

Oct 16, 2016 2:30 PM

Well, as expected. The female fans loved this movie mainly because its their guys when they were younger. Meh.

Me on the other hand, I thought this movie was boring, mainly because I thought Haru and Makoto are boring characters back when they were in HS, and they are boring now in middle as well. I only cared about Gou, Rin, and Sousuke. This movie only got good when Sousuke appeared, but that's it. Rin was just a memory, and Gou was nowhere to be seen.

But this movie was made for the fans that wanted to see them when they were younger, and not for the fans that enjoyed the anime for what it was. So I guess that's that.

Nov 6, 2016 10:36 AM
Movie that gives nice feeling. Quite calm and fresh. Good soundtrack esp, during lunch time.

things I noticed: nanase drinking milk in box, the characters bags and p.e. bags, their bentos and coloured chopsticks, Ikuya and Asahi modern home vs Nanase and Tachibana traditional home, they are just 12 but able to express their thoughts quite easily.

Meeting Nanase's demand.

Nov 6, 2016 10:25 PM

Well that was quite entertaining, more than I had originally anticipated.

Haru is pretty much how I pictured even down to his personality. I've read parts of the novel before so this was felt more like it's inspired rather than adapted, which is good as I think the movie did a better job at entertaining me. For most parts, I liked the character chemistry and Ikuya's role was appealing.

The animation quality impresses me as usual by Kyoto Animation from the fluid swimming scenes to the character designs. I can imagine that seeing this in theaters would've been an even better experience.

Nov 14, 2016 9:41 AM

It was alright, animation was very good, characters were crap, story was so so bit was too sappy and had too much melodrama especially with the cry baby and his brother complex.

Nov 23, 2016 11:11 AM

I saw this in the cinemas when I was in Japan, and the animation and water sound effects were really crisp and clear.

I felt like the new character introductions were handled nicely and they created a nice dynamic to the new swim team. The throwback scenes to Rei and Nagisa were always wonderful since I thought they weren't going to be in it with their teen voice actors stating that they won't be in the movie.

Overall, I felt like High Speed! was less of an end-goal type movie like the first and second season of Free!, and served more as an insight to Makoto and Haruka's backstory and bond along with fleshing out Rin's rivalry and Sousuke's jealousy.

Dec 31, 2016 8:09 PM

I really enjoyed the movie. The drama felt well balanced and the comedy is always at the right time. I like how all four characters each had their own insecurities and the challenges they each had to come in terms with and to finally overcome them in order to finally become a functional team.
I really like both Asahi and Ikuya, they were fun to see when they interacted with each other. Oh, and Makoharu moments were adorable as usual, but the part when they argued about the other's situation really felt like how friendships tend to get in real life sometimes, so it was nice to see how it got resolved.
I really like the captain and manager too, Natsuya and Nao were so cool :)
Overall, Good movie :)

Feb 5, 2017 5:53 AM
Does anyone know if Haru or Makoto ever see Asahi and Ikuya ever again?

Feb 27, 2018 10:55 AM

The ending song was amazing.

Mar 7, 2018 1:21 PM

I loved the atmosphere and pace of the movie. And the visuals are so goddamn amazing! The new characters were likable and I liked their developements. But most of all I liked seeing Makoto's struggles, I guess.

And so much MakoHaru my heart can't take it. The scene with the two of them swimming in the pool almost had me crying. So beautiful.

7/10

Apr 5, 2018 7:41 AM

Another perfect and heartwarming addition to the Free! franchise! Thanks to this movie i have gained two more sons; Ikuya and Asahi loool

Apr 11, 2018 6:22 PM
OMG~ 😱I really love this movie! They're so cuuute! 😍😍😍
Oh god~ I want to kidnap makoto and haru!
I want to see them kissing! 😘😘
(haha sorry, I'm a fujoushi :v)

Aug 29, 2018 4:03 PM

I'm very glad they won the relay, kinda proves that they needed to adjust their feelings towards teamwork from the first relay. It seems they've changed and accepted each other. It looks like Nagisa won also in his match, kinda glad for him.

I watched the movie because I'm watching the free! dive into the future, which is mostly based on this background story. I wanted to know why Ikuya is such a snot nosed shit head, and I think I know why, its because he's still the same as ever.
"You know the rules, kill them all and keep moving "--- Lil Wayne- John

Dec 14, 2018 9:06 PM

It was a good movie. I didn't like Ikuya's drama but the rest was decent. 6/10 for the movie.

This needs to be watched before Dive to the Future.
Life has no meaning.

Feb 24, 8:13 AM

This film is great as a beginning, if you have not yet seen the TV series "Free!". The vision is not difficult, the narration is slow in rhythm, but for certain topics the calm tone and the reflections, there is little to do. The minute is the right one, I would say. Excellent graphics quality, I did not expect less from the KyoAni.

7.5/10

May 18, 10:37 PM

How many identity crisis can you handle in a single movie?

Honestly, I had the feeling there were so many sub plots to handle that the movie length wasn't enough for them to be properly developed, which was a shame since as a result, some resolutions felt just rushed to me.

As for the characters, I enjoyed Kisumi way more than I thought I would, which was nice. However, regarding Ikuya and Asahi, I didn't find them that interesting as characters. Asahi's personality was anything but boring tho.

As a whole, it was just an OK movie. 5/10

P.S.: Little Nagisa is just HHHHNNNNNGGGGG >.<

Pages (2) « 1 [2]