Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
May 15, 2011 3:44 PM
May 2011
This season pretty much ruined DTB for me.
I loved the S1, but this was rediculous.

- confusing. This ending was even more confusing than the ending of Gantz
- It was totally different than season 1. I know most of the anime fanboys watch pretty much anything out there, but I don't like the changes. The reason I watched DTB was because I liked how season 1 was made. Why change it?
- I hated the whole "russian" theme.
- I even hated the frickin opening. From awesome and dark S1 opening to some sort of pop song and chilren S2 opening.
- why did they have to turn Mao from cat into squirrel?!
- the whole Izanami-Izanagi thing was so rediculous. So an alternative planet was created, wtf. It went from serious sci fi S1 to a übersupernatural S2. Disappointed :(

WanShan said:
LeaT said:
I did not like the fact that they made Hei a side character. The reason why season 1 was enjoyable was thanks to Hei. Putting some moany brat in his stead just doesn't cut it. To make him look like some homeless alcoholic didn't make it better. Where was the Hei that was smart and witty (nevermind the fact that Hei looked a lot better in season 1...)? And having him being powerless throughout a majority of the series without even pondering the philosophical issues like the first one did just doesn't cut it either. They could've pulled some great drama moments with added character development there, but all these options were thrown into the lake, it seems.

I agree. Hei and the bro-relationship between the others in the first season was the only reason I enjoyed the series. I wanted to like this season too, but the new characters were quite boring and they had some lame powers. I also facepalmed every time they made lame sexual jokes. God... I gave it still 6 though, silly nostalgic me...

Same here. I hate like 99% of anime out there because of brats.
The child contractors in S1 were enough.

Sick of the "brat animes".
May 30, 2011 6:20 PM

Aug 2007
:[ I expected soo much more. I still enjoyed this series though. Somehow. w_w
Jun 6, 2011 4:30 PM
Jun 2011
Ooookk.. I just finished watching it all, including the ovas, and this is what i think (spoilers might come up):

First of all, despite most saying otherwise, i actually liked the 2nd season more than the 1st. This is because Hei was too absent from the 1st on for my taste. There was a LOT of episodes in with some minor characters (like that idiot detective) were the main characters, and Hei would only appear for a few seconds to kill somebody. Also Hei had more character developing in the ovas and 2nd season.

I mean, The only thing that made this series (the 1st) for me was Hei fighting, lol. And the cat. xD For some reason i didn't get much interested in anything else.

The music was good, the art was decent but nothing special, but the animation DURING the Hei fight scenes was incredible in my opinion. I usually watched them 2 or 3 times before moving along. xD His fights are always well paced. The camera got some god angles, and they put the slow motion at the right times, without overdoing it. The choreography is cool and fast paced. I like that in a martial arts fight. But perhaps because its fast his fights usually are short. Aww, lol. (gotta love the last one with the kiss haha)

Still, imo the ovas were better than the rest of the series altogether. xD They focused on Hei and Yin, they had romance, and they had Hei fight a lot, haha.

Ending of 2nd season was wtf by the way. And it reminded me of Evangelion for some reason.

Ok now about the pairings. My favorite would be Hei/Misaki, but from a certain point it was obvious that it wouldn't happen, and Misaki's obsession whit him kinda started to annoy me, because her pursuit felt a bit senseless at a point.

I felt sorry for all the girls that fell in love with him throughout the series. He's such a heart breaker, lol. And then he fell in love with Yin... I mean, i do like Yin and all, but i didn't quite get when or why he fell for her, and to me they don't go that well together.

If it was up to me, i would have gonne for Hei/Mizaki. Not the best pairing in anime i've seen, but they had potential to have a cool romance story built around them. Since she was after him they would cross paths many times (as they did), and i was imagining her for some reason getting in the middle or involved in his missions, but instead of turning him in she would cover for him, and their love could be born from their complicity or something like that, and a lot of plot twists could come from that. Oh well.

And yay for November 11 with Kakashi's voice xD. That distracted me a bit whenever he talked. xD

And finally, about that Yin lookalike person that appeared in the end, some say straight out he's Hei's and Yin's son. Impossible. Way too old, unless they make up some weird reason for that, lol. Would make just as much sense as anything else on that ending, xD.
KyfasJun 7, 2011 4:55 AM
Jun 9, 2011 12:34 PM

Dec 2008
Compared to the first season I found the 2nd one rather sweet, entertaining and I really liked Suou, probably the only reason I was watching this. Also the opening from Stereopony was awesome.
Never liked Yin and Hei that much, ok characters but not really interested in them.

After all a nice season.
Jul 20, 2011 5:59 PM

Jan 2010
This was one of the most disappointing animes I've watched. I remembered waiting months for this to come out back in 2009 but never got the chance to watch it. This was nothing like the first season, and the ending made no sense!

6/10. There better be a third season to offset this.
Jul 22, 2011 7:32 PM

Sep 2010
I've just finished to watch this anime and i tought it quite good 9/10

i just have a question, what happened to Hei exactly , does he died with Yin ?
Aug 3, 2011 4:57 PM

Jun 2011
I give this series a 9/10, altough it was not as good as the first season.
@Mayros
That'll probably revealed in the 3rd season :)
Aug 27, 2011 8:03 AM

Jun 2009
While the ending was a bit confusing, after sleeping on it, I've kinda worked it out in my head. This is my opinion on the matter. Careful, spoiler alerts.

As stated before in the series, the Gate is where dreams come true, with a price. Shion was not Izanagi, he was simply a contractor that needed Izanami's and the Gate's power to see his dream come true. The new Earth, where his sister could live happily. The price of the wish was his life.

If I recall correctly, it was said once in the first season that Pai, or whatever Hei's sister's name was, was indeed Izanagi. And since her powers or soul, are locked inside of Hei, that would make him Izanagi. But, instead of things going like the Mikata documents said they would, Yin allowed Hei to kill her.

On a side note, I think he was finally able to bring himself to kill her because Suou basically slowly died in his arms because of Yin.

And to explain the male Yin, the evil side of Yin could have forced Shion to make a copy of her since, she basically knew that Hei was going to kill her along with the nice Yin. Or Shion did it willingly, for whatever reason. And the defect of the copy was that it was a boy copy.

And my thoughts pertaining to the part where Hei is walking with a presumably dead Yin: He could be walking her to the new world that was created.

That is what I see to be most logical but, I would prefer that he was just taking her to her final resting place, at one of the stars, and he himself would then move on to the new Earth. This is because I was a sucker for SuouxHei, haha.

In my mind Suou made the second season enjoyable and bearable to watch, mostly because I was rooting for her the whole series..... just to see her die slowly at the end [Insert sad face].

Now, don't get me wrong, their age difference is pretty large but, I mean look at the world they are living in, it is all fucked up to hell anyway. If being with a guy that is possibly 10 years older than her, why not? If it will make her happy then go for it. Not like much else in their world was going to bring any joy.
Aug 27, 2011 11:29 AM

Sep 2010
Just finished the series the ending is a total WTF. seriously? well im happy for sou and cute little July for receiving a happy ending i did cry a little when they died since i really liked both of them together something i didn't expect but other than that the ending was just all over the place. It obviously was rushed and cramped up. And whats the deal with another Yin or whatever resurfacing at the end, that's another fucked up something. after all of everyone's efforts and half of the main cast getting killed it just results to nothing but another evil being reborn.

Anyway i need a new season. This sequel just made a mess off the first one and i need another season for everything to be set straight. Also i just can't leave Misaki and Li/Hei's relationship like that after 2 seasons and 4 OVA's of me rooting for them that ending is just not acceptable i want my MisakixHei together.
Sep 15, 2011 3:16 AM

Aug 2011
Zango said:
And to explain the male Yin, the evil side of Yin could have forced Shion to make a copy of her since, she basically knew that Hei was going to kill her along with the nice Yin. Or Shion did it willingly, for whatever reason. And the defect of the copy was that it was a boy copy.

I think I can see that happening. It could be the deal dying Shion mentioned. Copy of evil Yin in exchange for new future for his sister.
Sep 18, 2011 9:03 PM

Aug 2010
Well kinda weak end and also WTF! lol
7/10 for me and season 1 was better in regard the story and pace.

anyway this totally calls for another season I wanna see what the hell was that Yin at the end (looked kinda tomboyish) will I ever have a Yin x Hei?? or was she meant to die T_T
Oct 14, 2011 11:32 PM

Feb 2011
Suou X Hei moment at the ending was cute.. I didn't see any malice it's like a brother and sisterly love so genuine and true
and poor Misaki didn't have the chance to have a moment with Hei but I'm still cheering for her ^^

and I'm really craving for Yin X Hei moment >_< so looking forward to S3

gotta watch Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden now ~
Nov 4, 2011 7:58 PM

May 2010
Hei got his powers back and what happened?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 6, 2011 9:21 PM
May 2011
francismeunier said:
tokki said:
Did Shion create a NEW EARTH or something? Basically replicated everyone and their copies with new memories in the new word?
Impossible, Shion would never be able to do that unless copy after copy of shion is made then used up.

Actually shion did make a second earth. That was his wish when he was talking to black yin. Remember the database filled with every memory that was ever recorded? That was used to fuel shion's wish to make the second earth. Thats where Suou went. At least thats what I think. It kinda makes sense if you put thought into it
Nov 14, 2011 11:49 AM

Aug 2011
Thanks for Muffin447 and Zango's analysis!
Nov 20, 2011 8:31 PM

Sep 2009
WOOOOOOOOW Really???
Why must the ending be such crap?
It reminded me of soul eater XD
It felt like there was just too much actition/information squeeeeeezed into 1 episode
Nov 24, 2011 12:11 AM
Feb 2010
*sigh*
I was hoping this would be the same semi-decentness of the first season, or at least like an anime version of X-Men or something, but alas, this is forever condemned to the ash heap of my mind.
Nov 25, 2011 12:00 PM
Oct 2011
FUCKING BEST ANIME I'VE EVER SEEN !!!!!!!
Nov 30, 2011 8:39 PM

Dec 2009
Kyfas said:

First of all, despite most saying otherwise, i actually liked the 2nd season more than the 1st. This is because Hei was too absent from the 1st on for my taste. There was a LOT of episodes in with some minor characters (like that idiot detective) were the main characters, and Hei would only appear for a few seconds to kill somebody. Also Hei had more character developing in the ovas and 2nd season.

Honestly, I agree with this. I mean overall I enjoy the 1st season better but the characters felt a lot less static in the OVAs+S2. It was really ironic how the most unique thing about Hei was that he one of the few characters in the series with emotions, yet he still was among the most plain of the cast. Aside from shallow glimpses of his kindness and the apparent sister complex he had nothing going for him. The OVAs showed his caring side and how even he could love someone. Then we got the end of the OVA series S2 which showed us that Hei gets depressed and bitter or even disgustingly ruthless at times. Now he really does seem like a contractor with all the qualities of a human. Both the good and bad ones. A lot of people don't like "hobo" portrayal of Hei but it really just added another (much needed) layer to his character. Seeing him downing alcohol like that actually made his mood apparent for once.

As for the ending, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. Things happened way too fast. Definitely needed to be a 24 ep or even a 15 ep season. It seems like July and Suou died, but I wouldn't really say that's happened literally. Shion did say he set all of it up for her, so I doubt he was trying to led her to her end like that. This could just be my wishful fanboy thinking side that adores Suou and doesn't want to call her "dead", but I'm thinking that her "soul" just (or whatever technical term the show will use for it) left her body to live in that alternate "happy" world that Shion created, and the empty shell. It was mentioned at the end that july was with her too, so it makes me wonder exactly what was the criteria for getting sent there. Maybe all contractors and dolls who got their souls sucked out izanami ended up there? No clue. Then there's that male Yin who I want to say has to do with Shion's cloning...it's all a giant brain teaser. The only thing I can say that I certainly liked about the ending is that It makes me sure that we'll get another season. ^^
Dec 19, 2011 10:23 PM

Jul 2010
Zango said:
While the ending was a bit confusing, after sleeping on it, I've kinda worked it out in my head. This is my opinion on the matter. Careful, spoiler alerts.

As stated before in the series, the Gate is where dreams come true, with a price. Shion was not Izanagi, he was simply a contractor that needed Izanami's and the Gate's power to see his dream come true. The new Earth, where his sister could live happily. The price of the wish was his life.

If I recall correctly, it was said once in the first season that Pai, or whatever Hei's sister's name was, was indeed Izanagi. And since her powers or soul, are locked inside of Hei, that would make him Izanagi. But, instead of things going like the Mikata documents said they would, Yin allowed Hei to kill her.

On a side note, I think he was finally able to bring himself to kill her because Suou basically slowly died in his arms because of Yin.

And my thoughts pertaining to the part where Hei is walking with a presumably dead Yin: He could be walking her to the new world that was created.

That is what I see to be most logical but, I would prefer that he was just taking her to her final resting place, at one of the stars, and he himself would then move on to the new Earth. This is because I was a sucker for SuouxHei, haha.

In my mind Suou made the second season enjoyable and bearable to watch, mostly because I was rooting for her the whole series..... just to see her die slowly at the end [Insert sad face].

Now, don't get me wrong, their age difference is pretty large but, I mean look at the world they are living in, it is all fucked up to hell anyway. If being with a guy that is possibly 10 years older than her, why not? If it will make her happy then go for it. Not like much else in their world was going to bring any joy.

this is what someone said after watching the OVA (chronologically thats last)
thse might be spoilers if you didnt watch the OVA yet
Sinamon said:
Here's my take on the end of season 2 (in light of the OVA's) with regards to Hei and Yin (don't read if you hate SPOILERS!!)

1.) Yin's alter/supra ego is Izanami

2.) Shion's alter/supra ego is Izanagi

3.) Izanami, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of destruction. As we have seen, all Izanami pretty much does is kill or cause chaos (many bodies in her wake)

4.) Izanagi, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of creation. As we have seen, Shion is able to create copies of people as well as a new earth (!!!)

5.) The two must meld together and become one again (for some greater purpose/fulfillment of prophesy. Maybe they were whole at one point in time and the appearance of The Gate was a result of the sundering of the two halves (this has been a huge theme in literature and film i.e. The Dark Crystal).

6.) Hei has always said, regardless of the prophesy and other some such, that his goal was to kill Izanami...he never said he was going to kill Yin. He wants to destroy that which separated him from Yin. When he says that he's going to kill her, HER is in quotes ("her").

7.) As Izanami draws Izanagi's and July's souls to her, Yin extends herself as a last ditch effort and appears and appeals to Hei to kill her because it's not too late. Though she was not able to keep the awakening from happening like she did initially, she manages to send herself out one last time to Hei

8.) Misaki sees Hei's star shine exponentially brighter in the night sky than ever before. His powers and that of his sister have returned in full force (and then some) and he has taken the meteor shard (either still in pieces from when Izanami broke Shuou's pendant or it formed into a whole piece again after the fact like it did in season one when amber had broken it into pieces but it went back to being whole) to destroy Izunami via Yin's last ditch attempt to save this crazy world.

9.) Hei changes Izanami on a molecular level via Yin’s projection thus preventing the Iza/Iza binding.

10.) Soon after, we hear that another Gate has appeared (the twins call it out) because the actual completion of Izanami and Izanagi was prevented by Hei and Yin.

11.) Thus resulting in the boy we see in the fields. He looks like a boy version of Yin. He is now the new yet incomplete Izanami incarnate signified by the arrival of a new Gate as Yin proper has split from that entity completely and there is no consciousness to hold anything back now. So this kid wakes up and just starts consuming as soon as his eyes open.

12.) During the molecular change, as noted above, Yin and Izanami disconnected as beings totally. Yin was never a shell that remained in that box though that’s what everyone thought. Izanami had just seemingly taken over her wholesale and their entities were tightly intertwined but Yin boldly asserted herself at the last moment to Hei. Once the disconnect occurred, the remnants of Yin returned to her body.

13.) Yin's wish is to be with Hei (she has said this a few times in the OVA's), not for Hei to kill her. In the end, she counted on Hei to know the right time and do what was needed so she didn't need to wish for that. Hei knew what he had to do so she didn't have to waste her wish. Her knowing smile and his knowing smile at the end complimented each other.

14.) Hei is seen carrying Yin’s naked body off. This is clearly the Yin from the box in the room, not Yin that showed herself to Hei moments before. Hei went back to the bldg after the change, disconnected Yin from the tubes and carried her off with him, at last alone together. At some point later, Yin regains consciousness and though it takes a long time, she slowly but surely returns to herself.

15.) Amber, who has seen and knows the future, knows the budding relationship between Hei and Yin (episode 16) so she entrusts Yin to watch over Hei. I doubt she would tell Yin this if Yin was going to die.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!!!!! They live and are happy together eventually!!!!! Waaaaah!!!

well the ending seems a bit too rushed and cliche, but i think they may deserve it. i know i enjoyed this series for sure.

Jan 2, 2012 5:02 AM
Dec 2011
uhm... can i ask something... who was yin talking to when she was in her dream? the boy in the shinning yellowish(IDk HOW TO EXPLAIN THAT)..could somebody tell me the answer to this? is it shion?or is it izanami? IDK.. sorry if only now :)
ernestroldanJan 2, 2012 5:14 AM
Jan 2, 2012 7:40 AM

Dec 2011
Has a 3rd season been confirmed?
Jan 3, 2012 1:08 AM
Dec 2011
guys..if you like season 3 will be out.. then we will have to Petition for that.. please guys.. i'm craving for season 3..
Jan 19, 2012 2:45 PM

Apr 2008
Completed.
Wish the ending of this story was diffrent.
It just seemed like they were in a hurry to finish it and took an easy way out,
7/10 (3/5 this ep)

Feb 5, 2012 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
What is this... I don't even... What happened... I'll just assume "happily ever after" and everyone that died is alive now. xDDD :P
Feb 9, 2012 5:56 AM

Feb 2012
Drazard said:
What is this... I don't even... What happened... I'll just assume "happily ever after" and everyone that died is alive now. xDDD :P

xD Well actually what happened was izanami(other yin) and izanagi(idk who he is supposed to be) merge and have their son, who in japanese mythology is supposed to bring about the end of the world. That's the kid you saw at the end. Anyways from what I believe, hei gained his powers back and used them to seperate Yin from her alter ego. The ending left a lot of loose ends. The story is supposed to follow japanese mythology but season two doesn't finish the story. And I assume you understood that suo was sent over to shion's "alternate world", along with july. I still don't really understand the part that plays in the story but in the other world suo hints at knowing hei. Even though there are currently no plans for a third season, there needs to be. The ending of season 2 just left a bunch more loose ends and confused mostly everyone. Welcome to the majority of DTB fans lol. Hope that cleared a little up for you!
Feb 14, 2012 5:54 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Have watched this for the second time around (and after watching the OVA too) and it makes a lot more sense. It's just one of those series where every bit of dialogue is important and if you blink you miss something that they never bother repeating. And then it's like a jigsaw puzzle at the end were you have to put it all together.

I've really liked the character designs, music and atmosphere of all DtB. I do hope they do a 3rd series. I'd love if it were a prequel that could then help us fill in the gaps.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 16, 2012 3:42 AM

Apr 2011
Ok, this season was not so good as the first but it was still interesting!!
As for the end, if I hadn't see the Gaiden first, then I would be like ''WT*'', more than now.There are things that we need to learn for the ending since, the last scenes were rashed and we don't now who is Izanagi, what will happen with the kid in the coffin who killed the others, and If Hei kill Yin or no, and of course the last scene with Hei and Yin in his arms!!!
I have many theories about what happened, but I want a season 3 or something else to give us the truth about it!!
Still for me it was good, and I really hope for a continue to this great anime..
8/10
Mar 3, 2012 7:04 PM

Oct 2011
Awesome series, but...What the hell happened? I'm going to have to resort to Wiki for this one...
Mar 17, 2012 7:10 PM
Apr 2010
I'm not even going to attempt to question this....
Mar 31, 2012 11:02 AM
Feb 2012
Okay after watching both seasons and the gaiden, I have to ask this question to find out if it's just me who feels this way and to hear you guys opinions. Does anyone else feel bad for Hei? because everyone who he ended up getting close to and cared about ended up dying (in both s1 and s2) and now he's pretty much left all alone.

After watching s2 so many questions but here's one of em and btw does anyone know who the kid in the box that looked like yin was at the end? (Didn't she love Hei not izanagi?)
Apr 5, 2012 6:31 AM

Mar 2012
What a strange ending.

I hope there's an S3. I think this season could have been a lot better if they made a full 24 episodes and focused more on Hei as a protagonist.

7/10 (I gave s1 9/10)
"We're nothing more than fools and whores with sad highs"
Apr 17, 2012 8:06 PM

Jul 2009
Well this series was pretty confusing, and in hindsight the story/plot was pretty stupid. I hate the idea of a "fake" world where some people live in an alternate reality. Makes everything seem pointless.

The best part was the development of Suo, Mao, and July. Suo was annoying at first but grew on me after a bit, and she does have a badass sniper rifle. Mao was cool and we finally learned some backstory on his history. But where this season really shined was on the development of July. July grows attached to Suo over time, with his wish to be with her, and then his "smile" at the beginning of the season compared to his smile at the end of the series, really touching. And then episode 7 where Suo rescues July, and July "shows" emotion indirectly, such as pain and fear. The kid hardly talks at all, yet has the best development in the season. July was awesome.

Unfortunately Hei and Yin kind of sucked this season. Shame.

EDIT: The gaiden cleared up some of the questions. Makes this season better now that I know most of wtf was going on.

Not as good as the first season, but still good. 7/10
BStrifeSword114Apr 21, 2012 1:05 PM
Apr 19, 2012 1:30 PM

Jan 2008
Hei never sucks.
And even when Hei sucks he doesn't.
Apr 20, 2012 7:42 AM

Jun 2010
WTF ending
This serie needs another season
9/10
May 10, 2012 6:51 PM

Mar 2012
Damn I watched Gaiden before this and was all desperate to see Yin becoming happy at last... I want to believe, like Kirihara, that Hei is alive, somewhere with Yin.
May 11, 2012 11:54 AM

May 2012
I finished the series yesterday and hell, I seriously don't know what to say. I mean, I'd already read the reviews about ryuusei no gemini before I started it, so my expectations weren't so high to be honest. I couldn't care less about Suou, that's it. I seriously think that they should have included more scenes involving Hei, and of course, he's look in the beginning and the power-losing thing didn't help me like the series more. I was so very looking forward to a Hei-Kirihara conversation. At least, I wanted more scenes.
As some of you have already mentioned, the ending seemed pretty rushed. Also, why 12 episodes? I mean, they really could have made more out of it, couldn't they? Yeah, they gave us the OVA too (btw, I saw these because RNG), but still...The ending of the first season was far more acceptable than these one. Anyway, there's also the fact that Hei seems different. I don't know whether this is because Li-kun no longer exists (in the first season, it was pretty cool to see his double life and how he could be so kind and innocent and after act like a contractor), and that leaved him with only his Contractor side. In addition, losing Yin did cause him some trauma, I guess, and made him more determined and cold-hearted when it came to achieving his aims. Anyway, I'd really, really like a season 3, but am pretty sure there will be none.
I was thinking about reading the manga. They say that the second manga (shikkoku no hana, I think it's called) is different from the anime's second season. Can anyone tell me whether it will be more satisfying?
May 12, 2012 2:05 PM

Jan 2012
Ok so overall I'd say I enjoyed this more than series 1 or at least found it a lot easier to get into. However that ending has kinda pissed me off, sucked big time.
Either a 8 or a 9 not sure yet.
Next Gaiden...I don't have high expectations to be honest but there'll be more Yin which I look forward too.
May 12, 2012 3:15 PM
Jul 2011
NateXsama said:
Ok so overall I'd say I enjoyed this more than series 1 or at least found it a lot easier to get into. However that ending has kinda pissed me off, sucked big time.
Either a 8 or a 9 not sure yet.
Next Gaiden...I don't have high expectations to be honest but there'll be more Yin which I look forward too.

I watched the series in chronological order (Season 1, OVA, Season 2) and I do think that the OVA was great while the Season 2 was just a disappointment.

Why do I even keep getting excited for sequels? Stupid sequelitis! (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
May 27, 2012 12:09 PM
Nov 2010
I LOVED THIS SEASON~
but the ending.... I didn't get it.. D:

All I got was... Shion made a new world using his "copying powers". Suou and July now live a happy life in that new world, although Suou doesn't remember Hei. TTATT.

Back in the original world, Hei and Yin are wandering around aimlessly and Misaki hasn't heard of him for a while....

I don't understand why there are two Yins and why her hair was cut
May 30, 2012 4:39 AM

May 2012
fanhillary said:
I LOVED THIS SEASON~
but the ending.... I didn't get it.. D:

All I got was... Shion made a new world using his "copying powers". Suou and July now live a happy life in that new world, although Suou doesn't remember Hei. TTATT.

Back in the original world, Hei and Yin are wandering around aimlessly and Misaki hasn't heard of him for a while....

I don't understand why there are two Yins and why her hair was cut

One of the Yins (The one in black) is Izanami, like a god or something, the OVAs clear that out. Shions wish was that Suou lived happily in the new world he created, so he made a deal with Izanami and she granted his wish. Suou was already dead, so it looks like the only way she could live normaly without carrying around that pendant was in the other world. She feels like something is missing, but it looks like she eventually will meet Hei and July (She was looking at Hei's star)

I loved the character of Suou and I would have liked another ending, but that's how things are. The kid in the coffin is the "son" of Izanami and Izanagi, not sure if Izanagi is either Shion or Hei. I guess we'll have to wait until october to Season 3 to clear that. I can just hope that Suou appears in this new season. This was a great season although I think Hei should have had more attention than he did, but he still is awesome and kicks ass xD.
May 30, 2012 3:27 PM

Jul 2011
I really think this should have been another 24 episode season instead of the 12/16(counting gaiden). The ending was really rushed and although a lot of the stuff is cliched and should be obvious, it still doesn't explain a lot of things. I understand the new world being made and Shion wishing for Suou to be dumped in the new world, the godchild eventually bringing the apocalypse, and Misaki and those peeps forming the new "syndicate" but what the hell happened to Hei? He's just walking around with a husk? Carrying a dead body around?

I love the premise of this whole entire series but some of the crap that happened is pretty nonsensical.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Jun 11, 2012 8:30 PM

Apr 2011
The ending wasnt really that good :(
Jul 12, 2012 3:55 AM

Mar 2008
LeaT said:
Anyway, I primarily joined these forums to rant about how sorely disappointed I was over the series. Someone already posted that season 2 lacked everything which made season 1 great, which is primarily the noir feeling, and I totally agree...

I didn't want to put the rest of this entire post here, but I totally agree with this.

Is it me or did this season feel more like a fanfiction? Insert a new character who's a young female as the protagonist, has creepy shippy subtext with the main character of the last season who has a personality makeover into an asshole, journeys with a character brought back from the dead with little explanation, etc....

And speaking of Hei and Mao, I have to agree with others at how I didn't really like how they handled some of the existing characters. Hobo Hei did show us a more vulnerable Hei but I just didn't like how he was regulated to a supporting character most of the time, because it was really supposed to be Suou's story. I did like Suou, but I wasn't as invested in her character tbh. And Mao turned out to be there for just comic relief; I mean, yeah, he did have those moments in the first season but he was more of a well-rounded character. Can't say much on Yin since she didn't appear much, but I enjoyed her development in Gaiden as well as July's development in this season, which was probably one of its highlights. His growing emotions and attachments were so adorable!

And I might be in the minority about this, but I actually really loved Section 3 and I wanted to see more from them. They did kind of stayed flat, but I did like what we did see-Yoko as a cheerful and innocent girl who does have a bit of a mad scientist side to her, Genma as this nonchalant pervert who nonetheless is more brutal and sinister than he seems, and Mina, who is as curt and cold as most Contractors are but showed a degree of protectiveness despite that, and interestingly enough served as an antagonistic counterpart to Hei. And well, I felt like they could have done more with Misaki but that was one of my feelings about the first season as well. If only they were all fleshed out more! I thought they were fun to watch anyways.

But yeah, this ending. It was really confusing at first, but it's not incomprehensible, just vague? Maybe it's just me, but it seemed to stretch limits even for its own universe. Shion created an entire copy of the earth? Oh um. Okay! Additionally, I'm still left with more questions than answers, and it's still very open-ended. I usually wouldn't have a problem with that, but there are some questions from last season that I still haven't gotten any more clues to figure out!

Anyways. Despite my ranting and my rating of this season, I still found it very enjoyable to watch. The action and the audio are still top notch and...well, it's Darker Than Black. I'm not really one of those fans who ask for more. The way I see it, why mess with a good thing? But if a third season can bring back the feel of the first as well as give us more hints about this universe, I'm all for it.
Jul 19, 2012 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
Really alot of mixed feelings on this ending, and on the series as a whole. The whole concept and characters are interesting, but after watching 2.5 seasons you'd expect to know a bit more.

Alot of things that happen without any explanation whatsoever make the plot seem not so unique, you can never reach the end of an episode and wonder what will happen in the next, because anything can happen.

So, I would really like to see more seasons of this. It's supernatural alright, but even that needs some basis to start with. You can't simply create a fantasy setting and never say why it is like that. Anyone who watches will be looking forward to know.
Jul 30, 2012 1:52 AM

Aug 2010
I'm glad I knew that the second season was controversial, otherwise it would have been a huge disappointment, but this way I managed to enjoy the good bits. A very rushed and open ended finale, I didn't like it too much, though I'm glad Suou got her happy end 3/5. 6/10 for it as a whole, not as good as the first season, but still a decent watch.
Aug 8, 2012 7:03 AM

Jul 2011
I was actually enjoying this season quite a bit, but this ending totally ruined my feeling for the show. Sigh.
Aug 8, 2012 8:34 AM

Mar 2012
Not as bad as people made it out to be but that ending was pretty bad, season 3 when.
Aug 8, 2012 8:44 PM
Nov 2011
I think Season 2 could have been pretty good if they gave it the 24 episodes they gave Season 1. Story felt too rushed and the characters felt kind of flat.
Did Yin really die at the end though? Hei kind of walked off with her in his arms and the "Yin" that popped up out of the coffin had short hair.
Aug 9, 2012 1:24 AM
Aug 2012
I am so confused by this ending... Seems like its supposed to lead up to another season or OVA/movie.
I joined this forum simply because of this annoying nagging feeling I have after witnessing this season. I really didn't get the answers I was looking for, rather I got to tag along with a thirteen year old girl act high and mighty around the black reaper as if she's in charge of anything. Her character just annoyed me throughout the entire fucking season.

Alright I eased up on hating her towards the end, but that was quickly shoved under the couch as soon as I got to the ending that was a huge pile of cluster...mess.

Argh I am so annoyed right now...
xXDarkmeisterXx said:
. I guess we'll have to wait until october to Season 3 to clear that..

SAY WHAAAAT?
Season 3?
shurryyAug 9, 2012 4:02 AM
Pages (14) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Status poll about Darker than BLACK Second Season Episode 12

KingSunWukong - Dec 15, 2023

2 by Ecarteo »»
Dec 16, 2023 7:25 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 29, 2009

270 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 10, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 22, 2009

315 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 9, 2023 9:29 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 8, 2009

391 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:00 PM

» Darker Than Black Season 3? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Ownsin - Dec 6, 2009

208 by Sasora »»
Aug 31, 2023 2:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.