Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 3, 2015 1:36 PM

Mar 2013
The January issue of Shueisha's Jump SQ has announced that Isin Nisio (Monogatari Series) will draw a new series with Akira Akatsuki. To be titled Shounen Shoujo, it will debut in Jump SQ's February issue, to be released on January 4.

The duo had previously worked on Medaka Box, which was serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump. It finished in April 2013 and has 22 compiled volumes. The manga received two 12-episode TV anime adaptations by Gainax.

Source: Yaraon
NaruleachDec 3, 2015 9:16 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 3, 2015 1:37 PM

Nov 2011
Mixed thoughts on this. I enjoyed Medaka Box (not the anime as much though) but the cover looks kinda...generic.
Dec 3, 2015 1:37 PM

Dec 2012
Extremely looking forward to it. Big fan of Medaka Box. The male lead design is very interesting, I like it.
Dec 3, 2015 1:51 PM

Jul 2010
Don't like how the leads look on the cover, too kiddie for me.
Dec 3, 2015 1:55 PM

May 2012
Please let this be as funny, stupid, crazy, loving, makes no sense, why?, worst series, best series, new pharse for op, and whatever others come to mind.As Medaka Box.
Dec 3, 2015 1:56 PM
Apr 2012
OHHHHHHHH.

LET'S SEE IF THEY CREATE A CHARACTER THAT CAN TOP KUMAGAWA.

*anything nisio makes is gold*
Dec 3, 2015 2:05 PM

Sep 2013
The kid looks edgy and recycled, come on you can do better than this :(

Dec 3, 2015 2:20 PM

Jan 2013
ichii_1 said:

I hated that fucking piece of shit kid.
Come to think of it...
I kind of hated Medaka Box.
Dec 3, 2015 2:28 PM

Mar 2015
i kinda disliked medaka box (they have extreamly good normal school premised, but changed to be another battle shounen) not saying they are bad, inb4 buthurt fans, and nisio issin is not really pick my interest. wait for further information tbh.
KumaDec 3, 2015 4:21 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 3, 2015 2:41 PM

Jan 2013
Kuma said:
i kinda disliked medaka box (they have extreamly good normal school premised, but changed to be another battle shounen) not saying they are bad, inb4 buthurt fans, and asano inio is not really pick my interest. wait for further information tbh.

Please don't confuse Asano Inio with Nisio Isin :D
Dec 3, 2015 4:06 PM
Jan 2015
The boy seems to have consumed some heavy drugs, and the girl is so moe it makes me sick. And it's called Shounen Shoujo(Boy Girl).....

Is this Gender Bender with alternate personality on the top of it?
Dec 3, 2015 4:23 PM

Mar 2015
TheNaturalPerm said:
Kuma said:
i kinda disliked medaka box (they have extreamly good normal school premised, but changed to be another battle shounen) not saying they are bad, inb4 buthurt fans, and asano inio is not really pick my interest. wait for further information tbh.
i currently read newest asano inio manga (DDD) and it's fucked my brain. and i have very slow internet so i am read the news, then when i wait to the image fully loading, i reading asano inio manga. it's really screwed up my brain when making ths comment. LMAO.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 3, 2015 4:27 PM

Oct 2010
Fumito said:
OHHHHHHHH.

LET'S SEE IF THEY CREATE A CHARACTER THAT CAN TOP KUMAGAWA.

This would be the main reason for me to try this.
Dec 3, 2015 4:30 PM

Dec 2009
is that a female kumagawa on the right?

im ready
Dec 3, 2015 4:56 PM

Jan 2011
For a second I thought the Kumagawa arc was getting animated...
Dec 3, 2015 6:53 PM

Mar 2012
Oh yes.

More TalkingFighting manga.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 3, 2015 8:04 PM

Aug 2010
Medaka Box was awesome, so I'll try this. But man, every single WSJ author is moving to Jump Square.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Dec 3, 2015 8:34 PM

Aug 2014
Medaka Box was so random, but that was what made it awesome. I hope this manga will have the same 'feeling' with it. It just has a weird title though.
sup
Dec 3, 2015 8:43 PM
Apr 2015
Yes please. I have expectations even if it doesn't have Kumagawa.
Dec 3, 2015 8:56 PM

Jul 2014
Haven't tried Medaka Box but I love Monogatari, so I'll check this out

malvarez1 said:
But man, every single WSJ author is moving to Jump Square.

^
Dec 3, 2015 9:03 PM

Nov 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:
Kuma said:

But Nisio Isin is better than the edgy 2deep4u - that is not deep Asano Inio :D
Dec 3, 2015 9:05 PM

Dec 2013
I enjoyed the Medaka Box manga so I'm looking forward to this.
Dec 3, 2015 9:12 PM

Sep 2010
Bloody Hell, this is the best news of this year. Finally, something new more akin to his (NisiOisiN) best work than to these countless fan-pandering stories.
Also, this kid looks like male Youka, talking about the best character.
...or like younger Kamome but without shadow on eyes, ditto the gender.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Dec 3, 2015 9:24 PM

Sep 2013
high quality jump sq preview pic.
Dec 3, 2015 10:44 PM

Dec 2013
Hey...

Hey...you know what would be nice?

Adapting the 3rd and 4th arcs of Medaka Box...DO IT GAINAX!

But in all seriousness, I'm pumped for this.
Dec 3, 2015 10:48 PM
Apr 2012
LilGreasyKid said:
Adapting the 3rd and 4th arcs of Medaka Box...DO IT GAINAX!

the 3rd, Minus arc especially needs to be animated.
Dec 3, 2015 11:17 PM

Aug 2014
Medaka Box as a manga was decent I suppose, but the characters were just so great! I wonder whether he can make someone that is on pare with Kumagawa, definitely gonna read this!
Dec 4, 2015 1:00 AM
May 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:
ichii_1 said:

I hated that fucking piece of shit kid.
Come to think of it...
I kind of hated Medaka Box.

He looks annoying and cocky.
Dec 4, 2015 1:32 AM
Mar 2009
Only question I have is, how many times will the fourth wall be broken in this manga?
Dec 4, 2015 2:24 AM

Jun 2009
Medaka Box was the definition of crazy-awesome, so I'll check this one out.

kitsune0 said:
Bloody Hell, this is the best news of this year. Finally, something new more akin to his (NisiOisiN) best work than to these countless fan-pandering stories.
Also, this kid looks like male Youka, talking about the best character.
...or like younger Kamome but without shadow on eyes, ditto the gender.

Nah, as someone has said already he just looks like Unzen.
Dec 4, 2015 3:03 AM

Jan 2013
WandersonC said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Isin's writing is extremely hit or miss. He sometimes writes a brilliant Hitagi End and then drops shit like Tsukimonogatari on you.
Also if that pick of the Medaka Box kid isn't 2edgy4u then I don't know what is. That show's whole story is pretty darn dumb even for an action shonen.

Asano is a far better and consistent writer. Isin's writing style is often just otaku fodder unless you count 20 minute bath scenes with loli character or Kanbaru talking about how she wants the D and is not wearing a bra as good storytelling.

Where Isin goes for titilation, Asano tackles sexuality.
NaturalPermDec 4, 2015 3:21 AM
Dec 4, 2015 3:27 AM
Mar 2014
ayyyyyyyyyyy
AYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Dec 4, 2015 3:41 AM

Apr 2011
Maybe not as boring this time?
Dec 4, 2015 5:59 AM

Nov 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:
WandersonC said:

Isin's writing is extremely hit or miss. He sometimes writes a brilliant Hitagi End and then drops shit like Tsukimonogatari on you.
Also if that pick of the Medaka Box kid isn't 2edgy4u then I don't know what is. That show's whole story is pretty darn dumb even for an action shonen.

Asano is a far better and consistent writer. Isin's writing style is often just otaku fodder unless you count 20 minute bath scenes with loli character or Kanbaru talking about how she wants the D and is not wearing a bra as good storytelling.

Yes, Isin can really make mistakes with his series, you can either have a Zaregoto/Katanagatari or you can have a Nisemonogatari/Tsukimonogatari. I didn't liked Medaka Box either, it was average, it was a shock after I saw Isin as one of the author.

As being consistent, I don't find Asano as that much. His stories can be interesting, but sometimes fall "trying to be smart", but yes, it can have several smart points, mind you I only read Nijigahara Holograph, Umibe no Onnanoko and Oyasumi Punpun. I think that Asano could be much better writing novels.
Dec 4, 2015 6:31 AM

Aug 2010
Will read, Medaka Box was awesome.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Dec 4, 2015 6:36 AM

Apr 2014
Nisio's work doesnt translate well in manga format. Light novels are a better fit for him.
Dec 4, 2015 6:37 AM

Apr 2014
TheNaturalPerm said:
WandersonC said:

Unless you read Japanese you are basically talking out of your ass. And im giving you the benefit of the doubt and hoping you arent comparing Nisio work solely on adaptions.
Dec 4, 2015 7:51 AM

Aug 2015
not gonna lie that boy looks badass
Dec 4, 2015 7:51 AM

Sep 2009
I like dem dead-fish eyes; anime/manga needs more of it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 4, 2015 7:57 AM
Nov 2010
IDontWishToBe said:
And it's called Shounen Shoujo(Boy Girl).....

There's more than that. It reads 症年症女, not 少年少女 (症 means illness).
Dec 4, 2015 8:28 AM

Dec 2013
Akira Akatsuki's style is alright, fitted well enough when he did Medaka Box. I hope, Nisio will get busy enough to stop wrighting new Monogatari books so Shaft could move on at last.
Dec 4, 2015 8:36 AM

Dec 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:

It's really not. The only time that it strayed was in Nisemonogatari and he said publicly that he wrote that for fun or himself and wasn't intended for publishing. Aside from that I found his style and quality of writing to be very consistent, across multiple series. What was bad about Tsukimonogatari? you are comparing Koimonogatari an arc where all the build of previous arc (From as far as Nisemonogatari) comes into fruition, to an arc that was a mere build up for the mysteries and some of the prominent characters of Final season.

You don't even know the story and you are already calling it dumb? Lol. The title is illness boy and illness girl, clearly the boy appearance isn't edgy and has something to do with the plot. Similar to Kumagama's appearance when he was a kid and the contrast to it when he grew up (in the look of the female lead).

Heavily disagree. They both aim for different things. Niso isn't otaku fodder (new buzzword yay) In all of the works I read for him and especially Monogatari series, above all else, he does character studies. He takes the mundanes of teenager problems and insert them in a supernatural setting to emphasis them and analyze the characters like he did with Nadeko and Hanekewa. In terms of style it's always witty, funny with a bit of meta in Monogatari or very meta in Medaka Box or subversion of tropes in Katanagatari.

The story is never a big focus, even in Katangatari where the whole drive is supposed to be the journey for the swords but most of the time is spent focus on the protagonist (to the point where he literally skipped a hyped up fight). Medaka Box sacrifice the story after the Minus arc for the sake of being cheeky and meta. Where a whole arc is composed of the concept of the ''Shounen manga main character''.

Yes, there is a lot of idle chatter about things that don't really matter. But for me it has a charm to it. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's funny because it was too trivial, sometimes it's actually smart. In the end it's part of the experience for me.

Sexuality with Niso is used as something fun, playful and a bit of tease. It doesn't explore it seriously. Just a jab here and there about LN ecchi as a self awareness of sort, while at the same time sometimes indulging in it himself, a contradiction. While Asano uses sexuality as a key element to explore his characters, which just shows how different their style is.

Dismissing Niso as that term you stated is as the same as dismissing Asano as an edgy sex maniac. Personally speaking I prefer Niso. Asano's style is too dramatic for my taste sometimes and the emphasis on sexuality is something I don't really care for. His works is more for someone who is looking for melancholic often a bit depressing looks into life, it's meaning and nihilism. His character are means to tell the story, and outlook in life while I prefer the opposite found in Niso.
tsudecimoDec 4, 2015 8:39 AM
Dec 4, 2015 9:26 AM

Mar 2015
holy shit. how the fuck my post can be flame wars? i have no intention of it. fuck you wondersonC.
also both of them are overrated. deal with it.

nisio issin is definitive of pretentious. when you realize the meaning of longass dialogue can be discribed with very short and clear sentence. also his word play is not even that great.

asano inio is just urobutcher but with more reasonable character. all of the character given reason to be retard, everyone become retard, and everyone will always retard. just let them suffer asano.
bring salt to everyone
Dec 4, 2015 9:42 AM

Feb 2015
kuma you really talk out of your ass.

OT:I actually like Medaka Box so I will be definitely looking forward to it.
Dec 4, 2015 10:59 AM

Apr 2013
Hahah the way the "shou" of shounen shoujo are written. That's not the character 少 (little) as used for boys/ girls, but 症, which means "illness". NisiOisiN really loves that kind of play. This already tells us the kind of story it will be x).

Interesting, one thing I like with NisiOisiN is some of characters he creates. Some of them are really nice. Let's hope he manages to create some very good ones with that new manga.
Dec 4, 2015 12:05 PM
Aug 2011
Hmmm.
I read Medaka Box a little bit and wanted to keep going for Kumagawa but I hate Medaka. :(
Let's hope this doesn't work out the same way where one character will interfere with my enjoyment.
Dec 4, 2015 12:42 PM

Mar 2013
Kuma said:
holy shit. how the fuck my post can be flame wars? i have no intention of it. fuck you wondersonC.

nisio issin is definitive of pretentious. when you realize the meaning of longass dialogue can be discribed with very short and clear sentence. also his word play is not even that great.

asano inio is just urobutcher but with more reasonable character. all of the character given reason to be retard, everyone become retard, and everyone will always retard. just let them suffer asano.
bring salt to everyone

Interesting to see you shit on his wordplay when it's been translated AND you're writing in broken English.

do your understanding what the wording play even am???
Dec 4, 2015 1:53 PM
Sep 2014
plis other medaka box no
Dec 4, 2015 4:28 PM
Dec 2014
the MC kinda looks cool.
Dec 4, 2015 5:21 PM

Nov 2013
Kuma said:

bring salt to everyone

* WandersonC :D and cry more, this is MAL. You should see that saying that both of them are overrated is even worse flame wars bait, oh wait... :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
3 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.