Jan 2015
PerpetualTrance said:
ExplicitlyHuman said:

Prove it.

He's virgin.

Not anymore.
Nov 30, 2015 1:56 AM

Nov 2015
Seriously though, I'm the master debater. The Masturbator.
Nov 30, 2015 1:57 AM

Mar 2015
ExplicitlyHuman said:
FloatingIdiot said:

Keep on mumbling to the strawman. I'm sure he'll respond sooner or later.

At no point did I want to have a debate with PoeticJustice about Texhnolyze, Attack on Titan, or whatever.

As such, I did not approach it as a debate. Once you grasp this, things will be much easier. I was being dismissive of his stuff while sharing opinions with masterofgo, because masterofgo is a much more interesting person to talk to.

Then PJ treated it like it was a debate so I played along when it got all logic-y and stuff.
BACKPEDALING INTENSIFIES

In order to backpedal, you need to have moved forward and have said something that you are attempting to retract.

Which, coincidentally, doesn't exist.

Nice try though!
Nov 30, 2015 1:59 AM
Feb 2014
FloatingIdiot said:

You don't even know what "strawman" even is.

At no point did I want to have a debate with PoeticJustice about Texhnolyze, Attack on Titan, or whatever.

Bullshit, what you warranted what exactly what you got. You speak in a debating tone and every post in this thread of yours suggests so.

As such, I did not approach it as a debate. Once you grasp this, things will be much easier. I was being dismissive of his stuff while sharing opinions with masterofgo, because masterofgo is a much more interesting person to talk to.

"Waah Waah Justice insulted muh opinyens."

Then PJ treated it like it was a debate so I played along when it got all logic-y and stuff. But I still had (and have) zero motivation to talk about anime with him.

>when it got all logic-y and stuff

Because the way you present it suggests so. If you really don't want people to debate with you, then try not to be over the top and passive-aggressive like it would warrant it.
Nov 30, 2015 2:06 AM

Mar 2015
Nico- said:
FloatingIdiot said:

You don't even know what "strawman" even is.

The strawman is the one who apparently was "debating" and not understanding what "subjective" meant.

That person is not me.

Bullshit, what you warranted what exactly what you got. You speak in a debating tone and every post in this thread of yours suggests so.

Don't tell me what I wanted, especially not based on what happened in this thread.

"Waah Waah Justice insulted muh opinyens."

Is that a strawman?

Then PJ treated it like it was a debate so I played along when it got all logic-y and stuff. But I still had (and have) zero motivation to talk about anime with him.

>when it got all logic-y and stuff

Because the way you present it suggests so. If you really don't want people to debate with you, then try not to be over the top and passive-aggressive like it would warrant it.

I was just insulting to PJ because I can't stand his attitude. Judge me accordingly.
Nov 30, 2015 2:48 AM

Nov 2015
>Taking any argument seriously
>On an anime website

Look at yourselves please.
〜(^∇^〜)Life is meaningless! 〜(^∇^〜)
Nov 30, 2015 2:56 AM

Apr 2011
I only come here to argue if I have nothing else to do and to prevent boredom, so I don't see why I should take it "seriously", that's just silly and not very fun.
Nov 30, 2015 3:07 AM
Jul 2018
no lol i find arguments on mal ridiculous
Nov 30, 2015 5:17 AM

May 2013
I'm sorry, but does anybody else find it ironic that FloatingIdiot's name is extremely accurate?
Nov 30, 2015 5:18 AM

Apr 2011
khunter said:
I'm sorry, but does anybody else find it ironic that FloatingIdiot's name is extremely accurate?
yup
Nov 30, 2015 5:37 AM
May 2012
Well gee, people here in this MAL like to sit there & take it as a troll/laughing matter sometimes until this is pretty much concern me somehow...

FreePigeon said:
JeffreyZin said:

Maybe I shouldn't seek anyone's attention here in this forum otherwise they'll think I'm an asshole.

Yeah, online opinions hurt me too.

Oh, sometimes they just don't give a shit whatever I ask them something as well. I mean did you know, I've been ranting & bitching about most of action mecha based anime shows that how those shows really affect my life in terms of story through animations with ridiculous character developments, writings & etc? Until I've been involved with some misunderstanding crap & shit like that?Yes, I know this myanimelist & I'm free to say & voice my thoughts whatever I want like you guys are cuz I have a limit to do so (sometimes anime is pretty much serious business to me).

Or maybe It's just me who being such an ignorant person who don't really know jackshit & like to passionate over things or something.
JafriZinNov 30, 2015 5:41 AM
Nov 30, 2015 5:44 AM

Oct 2014
Nope
Nov 30, 2015 6:21 AM

Jan 2014
Why is it not surprising that this turned into an argument.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 30, 2015 6:39 AM

Jun 2014
I take everything seriously except for horny white knights :/

they are impossible to have an argument with, they mostly insult you at all costs and try to defend someone based on gender, its pretty silly.
[center]
Nov 30, 2015 7:52 AM

Sep 2014
Judging from all the pages this thread has, I assume an argument took place? Ironic.

Anyway, to answer the OP: It depends, I don't often get involved in debates unless I feel like I might be able to learn something from them, and the people I'm debating with are calm and rational, not flinging berations at me because I happen to share a different opinion than theirs left right and centre.
There's a few number of people on this site who are both reasonably intelligent and open-minded though, strangely enough.
Nov 30, 2015 7:56 AM

Nov 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Judging from all the pages this thread has, I assume an argument took place? Ironic.

Anyway, to answer the OP: It depends, I don't often get involved in debates unless I feel like I might be able to learn something from them, and the people I'm debating with are calm and rational, not flinging berations at me because I happen to share a different opinion than theirs left right and centre.
There's a few number of people on this site who are both reasonably intelligent and open-minded though, strangely enough.

TELL ME I'M ONE OF THEM OR I'LL KILL YOU!
Nov 30, 2015 8:01 AM

Sep 2014
PerpetualTrance said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:

TELL ME I'M ONE OF THEM OR I'LL KILL YOU!

Most of the time you are, yes.
Nov 30, 2015 8:27 AM

Nov 2015
I think it's pretty dumb to argue on the internet period.
〜(^∇^〜)Life is meaningless! 〜(^∇^〜)
Nov 30, 2015 8:32 AM

Oct 2010
I'm just here to discuss my hobbies and take my mind off of studying and my everyday life. It's a place for me to unwind a bit. Needless to say, I don't take posting on MAL seriously in general. I'm just here to relax and clear my head.
Nov 30, 2015 9:26 AM

May 2012
FloatingIdiot said:
Bernkastel said:

You're actually completely wrong on this. The only reason PJ had to actually give a counterargument to win was because the discussion was subjective. If it was truly objective, then he won't even need to lift a finger to be declared the victor. This is why debates are always about subjective things, otherwise 1 side auto-wins before the debate even starts.

You actually don't understand what the term "subjective" entails, and it speaks poorly of your ability to think rationally.

Backpedaling again? You lost so now you are resorting to ad-hominem yet again to hide the fact that you made yourself look foolish.

Strawman? You misuse these words. I don't think you know what they mean.

As you can see, nobody thinks you won. I guess you will have to change your name again, AttackonTetris.
Nov 30, 2015 12:55 PM

Mar 2015
PoeticJustice said:
FloatingIdiot said:

Backpedaling again? You lost so now you are resorting to ad-hominem yet again to hide the fact that you made yourself look foolish.

Strawman? You misuse these words. I don't think you know what they mean.

As you can see, nobody thinks you won. I guess you will have to change your name again, AttackonTetris.

Like I said before, I never backpedaled once.
In order to backpedal, you need to have moved forward and have said something that you are attempting to retract.

Which, coincidentally, doesn't exist.

Nice try though!

Bern kept attacking each post and getting his lines of attack torn apart while I maintained logically consistent positions, then either coming again with similar attacks or using new lines of attack.

If people can't see that, that is their weakness, not mine.
Nov 30, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2015
Bernkastel said:

You're actually completely wrong on this. The only reason PJ had to actually give a counterargument to win was because the discussion was subjective. If it was truly objective, then he won't even need to lift a finger to be declared the victor. This is why debates are always about subjective things, otherwise 1 side auto-wins before the debate even starts.

You have no idea what you're talking about, about anything really. This is exactly why you don't stand a chance against me in a debate: reading a couple Wikipedia articles doesn't make you a philosopher.

When people debate about things like free will, ethics, the existence of God etc, it's all objective. When I tell you that God doesn't exist, that is an objective statement!

Just because one side can win with objective evidence doesn't mean that we don't have debates about objective things, because objective evidence can be impossible to find, ex. free will, ethics, God.

Did you know name calling is even worse than ad hom?

No it's not. Ad hominem is an invalid argument of the following form:

1. Bernkastel thinks he is a philosopher because he read a couple Wikipedia articles.
===
2. Therefore Bernkastel is wrong about x.

Name calling is just calling you what you are. It's true that you think you're a philosopher because you read a couple Wikipedia articles, but that's not why you're wrong. You're wrong because you're just not a deep thinker, and your premises are poorly thought out.
Nov 30, 2015 1:25 PM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
Considering the argument is probably about my opinion of something, I really couldn't care less, I very much doubt some random is going to change my opinion.
I also never understood why people care about other peoples opinion so much to want to change it, leave the poor bastard alone to his own thoughts its the only thing we have left that till they officially release mind reading devices (implying they dont already)
PurplePantiesDec 28, 2015 10:41 AM
Nov 30, 2015 1:38 PM
Feb 2014
@FloatingIdiot: He didn't ask if you were backpedalling, he asked why use that word when you don't even know if he was doing so or not, God your reading comprehension is horrible.

Also, debating isn't just about your stance, and there are reasons why people don't take debating seriously with you. It's your solipsism that makes it unbearable to the point that you look like a brick wall. And don't use your "saintly" persona to prove otherwise, I think I know your intentions as they are.
Nov 30, 2015 2:09 PM

Mar 2015
Nico- said:
@FloatingIdiot: He didn't ask if you were backpedalling, he asked why use that word when you don't even know if he was doing so or not, God your reading comprehension is horrible.

I don't know what conversation you are talking about, but two people specifically mentioned "backpedalling" when I said that I didn't. Of course, neither of them have actually attempted to explain this, nor do I expect them to unless they want to look like fools. In my response to your last post, I showed where the strawman was. I also asked sort of rhetorically if your ridiculing comment was a strawman, but in a way it sort of has an invisible strawman built into it as a premise.

Anyway, that you would actually say that my reading comprehension is horrible after your display, is hilarious.
Also, debating isn't just about your stance, and there are reasons why people don't take debating seriously with you. It's your solipsism that makes it unbearable to the point that you look like a brick wall. And don't use your "saintly" persona to prove otherwise, I think I know your intentions as they are.

I know that you are wrong because I know my own intentions.

You can try as long as you'd like to pretend like you know what I am trying to do, but in the end, you know nothing of what you speak.

I don't want people to take "debating" seriously, at least not in the context of "losing" or "winning" because then soundness in reasoning gets thrown on the back burner. I'm not the one trying to transpose formal debate rules upon a conversation that was not being treated like a debate by both parties at that point in time. It would be nice if people toned down their logic-bending and admitted when they use faulty logic, but I guess you can't ask for too much.

As for solipsism, if you think I ever take it above the methodological level then either I am communicating poorly, or you are understanding poorly.
HalkenburgNov 30, 2015 2:49 PM
Nov 30, 2015 2:45 PM
Jul 2015
Nah, MAL is not too different from omegle after all.
Why would I care about what some random stranger says?
Nov 30, 2015 2:45 PM

Aug 2013
nobody should ever take anything on an anime site seriously, especially debate who cares what weebs think. Only reason to debate is to pass the time, you try to win for fun not because you want to legit prove or change someones mind.

Verbal warfare for fun, little more.
Nov 30, 2015 2:46 PM

Mar 2015
Rat said:
No.

@FloatingIdiot
Here - a better sig material )

Lol, now that tsudecimo is back, it wouldn't be the worst idea.
Nov 30, 2015 3:30 PM

Apr 2015
DejWo said:

In other words,I don't give a fuck.
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Nov 30, 2015 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
lol no
Nov 30, 2015 4:40 PM

Apr 2009
lmao of course not, imagine how stressed i would get if i did
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 30, 2015 7:41 PM

Oct 2011
MAL is amusing. Even when I feel bored of this place, I can come here to get a decent laugh if I search through all the sewage.

Regarding the OP, nope and never will.
GovNov 30, 2015 7:44 PM
Dec 1, 2015 12:27 AM

May 2015
TheShepherd said:
nobody should ever take anything on an anime site seriously, especially debate who cares what weebs think. Only reason to debate is to pass the time, you try to win for fun not because you want to legit prove or change someones mind.

Verbal warfare for fun, little more.

This time of mentality is what wrecks the forum. I had plenty of interesting discussions going on here. If I didn't take them seriously I would miss a lot.

The idea that the level of discourse here is somehow exceptionally low is hilarious. My IRL friends have the debating skills of a plate, and these are people who did great in school.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 27, 2015 4:01 AM
May 2012
You know what? I just realized something.

Am I the only one who feel offended over something in it especially opinions & anything till it leads into an argument?

Yes, I am. Sometimes. People said to me, why are you spamming & posting shit and anything,

My answer:-

I don't care, I don't care, I don't care IF I wanna react & say something about every anime & anything, is just that I'm feeling too sour for it when those shows leaving me a bad taste. This is basically me who speaking my mind right here on MAL.

Man, I feel like I'm surrounded by assholes around here on MAL & I'm not falling into it, eventually. I'm not trying to pick a fight, really. Sorry because my life is quite a bitch this year.
JafriZinDec 27, 2015 4:06 AM
Dec 27, 2015 4:49 AM

Nov 2015

i never do, same goes for out side of mal like on the youtube comment sections, its fun to make people angry
Dec 27, 2015 4:55 AM

Apr 2015
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I lennied it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 27, 2015 6:26 AM

Jun 2014
I used to, until a couple of months ago.
Dec 27, 2015 6:37 AM

Jan 2015
No. I like to start them and then walk off half way through because I'm bored. Kind of like when your cat does a bad fart and leaves the room and you don't realise until it's gone.
Dec 27, 2015 11:01 AM

May 2015
Yes.

I had a lot of great debates here and met a lot of intelligent people. It's amazing what kind of people you can discover once you get rid of the childish "lol interwebz not srs!!!!" mentality.
Dec 27, 2015 12:53 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Yes.

I had a lot of great debates here and met a lot of intelligent people. It's amazing what kind of people you can discover once you get rid of the childish "lol interwebz not srs!!!!" mentality.
^
I feel like the word 'argue' has a really negative connotation. I enjoy arguing, in real life or otherwise, but like brain said about, most of my friends suck at it.

If all you do is shitpost, than thr content you experience here will be exceptionally low, but if you have logical and well written arguments, you can have very interesting discussions.

If some one is clearly trolling, or unbelievably dense, then I won't but otherwise, I think a lot of people here really do want to discuss anime.
Dec 28, 2015 3:32 AM
Feb 2011
I do not. I barely even bother to argue with anybody if that situation arises.
Dec 28, 2015 3:34 AM

Dec 2015
Nope, as it probably wouldn't change my opinion nor the person I am arguing with, I'd probably just post memes to make me feel superior...
Dec 28, 2015 10:37 AM

Jan 2012
Nope as long i don't feel offended ..........................

Dec 28, 2015 11:02 AM
Mar 2013
Depends on the thread, the OP and the participants

For the record, I have never lost an argument on MAL before.
Dec 28, 2015 11:07 AM

Jul 2015
depends on the topic, and if the arguments being made sound valid and legitimate, b/c there's too many troll posts online to take things seriously, imo.
Dec 28, 2015 11:07 AM

Jan 2012
JD2411 said:

Don't lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 28, 2015 11:09 AM
Mar 2013
AllenVonStein said:
JD2411 said:

Don't lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can't prove anything~

I'm undefeated in a battle of wits
Dec 28, 2015 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
as serious as I take most of these retards post.
Dec 28, 2015 11:15 AM

Mar 2013
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dec 28, 2015 11:53 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Yes.

^
I feel like the word 'argue' has a really negative connotation. I enjoy arguing, in real life or otherwise, but like brain said about, most of my friends suck at it.

If all you do is shitpost, than thr content you experience here will be exceptionally low, but if you have logical and well written arguments, you can have very interesting discussions.

If some one is clearly trolling, or unbelievably dense, then I won't but otherwise, I think a lot of people here really do want to discuss anime.

Anyone who didn't have a discussion with this guy misses out on a lot.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
6 seconds ago

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
25 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 7 hours ago

6 by Nemo_Niemand »»
41 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.