Forum Settings
Forums

None of my friends watch anime; how do I fix this (or fix them)?

New
Nov 29, 2015 3:54 AM

Sep 2009
To start off with, the guy I'm trying to "fix." I tried forcing him to watch an anime (yes, ofc it was Code Geass), but he was like "it's waay too dramatic, and some of the plot twists are ridiculous." This is unfortunately true, and he only thought that it was "alright."
How do I fix him? Note that he knows absolutely nothing about Japanese culture etc, so a lot of cultural things in anime would simply go over his head. He likes garbage TV shows like House of Cards, Dr. Who, and Game of Thrones.
He's not dumb, so I doubt mainstream crap or mindless violence would help.

So far, Psycho Pass and Monster seem like good ideas.
Prob Ghost in the Shell and Akira
Might suffer through Death Note with him, criticizing it all the while.

MortalMelancholyNov 30, 2015 11:08 PM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2015 3:57 AM
Apr 2013
You don't.
Nov 29, 2015 3:57 AM

Jul 2012
Give him Monster or Psycho Pass or Steins;Gate.

Hell, even One Punch Man might cure him.
Nov 29, 2015 3:58 AM

Dec 2014
You don't force it onto him if he doesn't want it.
Nov 29, 2015 3:59 AM

May 2015
I don't like to talk to people about anime. Funny thing, that. So no, I don't encourage friends to watch it.

Nov 29, 2015 3:59 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Try to give him show that is more mainstream, like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man for example.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 29, 2015 4:00 AM

Sep 2009
mayukachan said:

I think Monster might bore him just as much as it bores me. Psycho Pass might work. He'd probably facepalm himself to oblivion at all the scientific bs and conspiracy stuff from Steins;Gate.

Digital_Fuzion said:

You're wrong.

And mainstream is braindeath.
Nov 29, 2015 4:01 AM

Jul 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
mayukachan said:

I think Monster might bore him just as much as it bores me. Psycho Pass might work. He'd probably facepalm himself to oblivion at all the scientific bs and conspiracy stuff from Steins;Gate.
But he's into Dr. Who? I thought that was a sci-fi/time travel series.

Monster is the perfect show to show someone who's into American crime shows.
Nov 29, 2015 4:03 AM

Sep 2009
mayukachan said:
MortalMelancholy said:

I'll probably give Monster a shot, but in my eyes, it's seriously lacking in mentally stimulating content. Steins;Gate tries to explain "science" with BS; I mean, they're using a microwave to send text messages and other ridiculously stupid stuff. Dr. Who is an alien with a "space ship."
Nov 29, 2015 4:04 AM

Feb 2015
Kaiji and Black Lagoon are good start for someone who otherwise dont like anime trust me.

Kaiji cuz it doesnt contain much of anything supernatural releated, cuz kaiji himself is releatable(except crying gag i guess) and who doesnt love some fucking survival and mind analyze gamble more or less.

Black lagoon because fantastic dub (subjective) and makes fun of holywood action flicks aloot is not hard to follow, has good art and who can dislike Revy??

If he ends up disliking both of them and drops them early . ... burn his ass.
ExowaveNov 29, 2015 4:10 AM
Nov 29, 2015 4:06 AM

Jul 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
I'll probably give Monster a shot, but in my eyes, it's seriously lacking in mentally stimulating content.

You dropped it at episode 15.
You can't really say much.
Nov 29, 2015 4:09 AM

May 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Explains why you recommended Code Geass, I guess.

Just recommend the usual gateway shows, lad.
Nov 29, 2015 4:09 AM

Nov 2015
Shit happens OP. Not everyone will love what you love. Gotta accept that. Anime isnt for everyone and gotta be cool with it. Took me a bit to find my crowd and its great, and also have that crowd who knows of my obsession and want nothing to do with it. No bigs on either end.
Nov 29, 2015 4:11 AM
Mar 2014
just do death note. it always works.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 29, 2015 4:14 AM

Sep 2009
EminemVEVO said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Explains why you recommended Code Geass, I guess.

Just recommend the usual gateway shows, lad.

Problem is, I watch anime for the atmosphere, characters and emotions. I can't think of any anime that require thought to follow, or where the characters are impressively clever (even Code Geass).

Yasukoto said:
Shit happens OP. Not everyone will love what you love. Gotta accept that. Anime isnt for everyone and gotta be cool with it. Took me a bit to find my crowd and its great, and also have that crowd who knows of my obsession and want nothing to do with it. No bigs on either end.

People can be bent to my will.
And those in the darkness must pull others down too.

omfgplzstop said:
just do death note. it always works.

I don't like Death Note, because it's not remotely as clever as anyone (especially itself) makes it out to be. It's limited by the mediocrity of its author (mangaka).
MortalMelancholyNov 29, 2015 4:18 AM
Nov 29, 2015 4:15 AM
Apr 2015
If you care about your friend, you don't let him watch anime.
Nov 29, 2015 4:19 AM

Feb 2015
Bruh it is not the point what you like,, if you want to make friend watch and enjoy something, you must think what his affinity would be and count factors for and against something you already pointed out what elements would dislike for sure then all rest you need to do is find positive elements

It is not same recommending something to someone who is already into it and someone who is neutral or heard negative stuff about it to begin with.
Nov 29, 2015 4:21 AM

Sep 2009
Exowave said:
Bruh it is not the point what you like,, if you want to make friend watch and enjoy something you must think what his affinity would be and count factors for and against something you already pointed out what elements would dislike for sure then all rest you need to do is find positive elements

That's why I listed those three shows. I think he'd have affinity with shows that have strategy or mystery, but I don't know any that are good and can be taken seriously.
Nov 29, 2015 4:22 AM

Jul 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
That's why I listed those three shows. I think he'd have affinity with shows that have strategy or mystery, but I don't know any that are good and can be taken seriously.
Perhaps, Zankyou no Terror, Shinsekai Yori, or One Outs (if he's a sports fan)
Nov 29, 2015 4:24 AM
Mar 2014
Exowave said:
Bruh it is not the point what you like,, if you want to make friend watch and enjoy something, you must think what his affinity would be and count factors for and against something you already pointed out what elements would dislike for sure then all rest you need to do is find positive elements

It is not same recommending something to someone who is already into it and someone who is neutral or heard negative stuff about it to begin with.
Pretty much. Though I fail to see how Death Note isn't clever.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 29, 2015 4:25 AM

Jul 2015
Slap him in the face with NGE and call it a success.

edit: Berserk, FLCL and GTO 1/10? 1/10? Ergo Proxy 2/10?

You might want to give him shows that you hate if you want him to have good animu taste.
DeathkoNov 29, 2015 4:28 AM
Nov 29, 2015 4:26 AM

Feb 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
mayukachan said:

I'll probably give Monster a shot, but in my eyes, it's seriously lacking in mentally stimulating content. Steins;Gate tries to explain "science" with BS; I mean, they're using a microwave to send text messages and other ridiculously stupid stuff. Dr. Who is an alien with a "space ship."

But both are about time travelling and its consecuences, honestly I friend recommended to me steins;gate becausee I liked DW and yeah, I liked Steins;Gate so..

Nov 29, 2015 4:27 AM

Sep 2009
Don't suppose anyone knows a comedy anime suitable for Americans? (As in it doesn't have ecchi crap or too many Japanese cultural references, and isn't too dirty)
Nov 29, 2015 4:27 AM
Nov 29, 2015 4:29 AM

Feb 2015
Problem with steins gate would be that it has too much of *japan feel* to it for average person that is not into any anime to swallow imo. Thats why i mentioned Black Lagoon and Kaiji those may as well pass at that segment wih low amount of stuff that point to japan.
Nov 29, 2015 4:30 AM

May 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Exowave said:
Bruh it is not the point what you like,, if you want to make friend watch and enjoy something you must think what his affinity would be and count factors for and against something you already pointed out what elements would dislike for sure then all rest you need to do is find positive elements

Death Note is solid.
Nov 29, 2015 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
make him watch death note and he'll love anime
Nov 29, 2015 4:31 AM

Sep 2009
Clebardman said:

edit: Berserk, FLCL and GTO 1/10? 1/12? Ergo Proxy 2/10?

You might want to give him shows that you hate if you want him to have good animu taste.

Maybe, but I can't use slow paced animes, since he doesn't like anime in the first place (I do have to force him to watch it, and I don't have thaat much free time).

badwolf45f said:

But both are about time travelling and its consecuences, honestly I friend recommended to me steins;gate becausee I liked DW and yeah, I liked Steins;Gate so..

Microwave. Banana. Trap. Tuturuu. Text messages. Hooking phone up to head. Really dumb conspiracy theories about CERN.
Nov 29, 2015 4:32 AM

Apr 2014
Kekkai Sensen, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Gungrave.
Nov 29, 2015 4:34 AM

Feb 2013
MortalMelancholy said:

Microwave. Banana. Trap. Tuturuu. Text messages. Hooking phone up to head. Really dumb conspiracy theories about CERN.

Police Box. banana . bad alien costumes. a sonic scewdriver. stupid plot twist lol trust me Doctor Who is not any different.

Nov 29, 2015 4:36 AM

Aug 2013
Digital_Fuzion said:
this pretty much
you're literally raping him with anime
Nov 29, 2015 4:37 AM

Jul 2015
Damn you quoted the "1/12" thing. I was tired -___-.

I don't understand the obsession of the current anime community with "slow-paced" stuff. No, NGE isn't slow-paced, and a good pacing has nothing to do with being slow or fast :(.

Anyway, don't give him 8+ hours long series if he's not into anime. Just recommend him some movies. Ghost in the Shell and Akira are no brainers, they're sci-fi classics with incredible animation.
Nov 29, 2015 4:38 AM

Feb 2013
Show him Attack on Titan, I had friends who for years thought they would never get into anime, and then I recommended AOT to a friend who I knew would like it and he loved it and then others tried it too
Nov 29, 2015 4:38 AM

Jul 2013
Easy. Just follow this steps:

1-Show him the video "Toothbrush Innuendo" in Youtube
2-Let him to digest the video
3-Rejoice! Your friend would watch anything after watching that masterpiece
Nov 29, 2015 4:40 AM

Jun 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Clebardman said:

edit: Berserk, FLCL and GTO 1/10? 1/12? Ergo Proxy 2/10?

Maybe, but I can't use slow paced animes, since he doesn't like anime in the first place
It looks to me that you're just projecting.
Nov 29, 2015 4:41 AM
Nov 2015
1 get to know what type of genres he likes
2 get the best anime in that genre, nothing nasty, something pleasant and if he likes it he may consider watching more.
Nov 29, 2015 4:41 AM

Sep 2009
badwolf45f said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Police Box. banana . bad alien costumes. a sonic scewdriver. stupid plot twist lol trust me Doctor Who is not any different.

MICROWAVE. It'd make more sense if a flying saucer crashed into his house and he found alien time technology. Maddo sientisuto isn't even a university student, is he? He's just some akiba otaku. Dr. Who is at least an alien.

Kyuss said:
Digital_Fuzion said:
this pretty much
you're literally raping him with anime

What do you call it... He likes it, he just hasn't realized it yet.

Aanyways, I think I've got a decent amount; thank you all.
Nov 29, 2015 4:43 AM

Jul 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

MICROWAVE. It'd make more sense if a flying saucer crashed into his house and he found alien time technology. Maddo sientisuto isn't even a university student, is he? He's just some akiba otaku. Dr. Who is at least an alien.

Arguing about the credibility of two soft sci-fi shows will bring you nowhere. Especially if you consider a comedy WTF show like Dr.Who like the Graal of realism in sci-fi.
Nov 29, 2015 4:46 AM

Sep 2009
Clebardman said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Arguing about the credibility of two soft sci-fi shows will bring you nowhere. Especially if you consider a comedy WTF show like Dr.Who like the Graal of realism in sci-fi.

I don't watch it (Dr. Who). I just don't expect him to take a microwave seriously, at all. Yes, I think the microwave and cell phone ruin the show.

Lordwen said:
It looks to me that you're just projecting.

I have to force him to watch every minute of anime; AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME 4 SLOW PACED ANIME
Nov 29, 2015 4:51 AM

Feb 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Clebardman said:

I don't watch it (Dr. Who). I just don't expect him to take a microwave seriously, at all. Yes, I think the microwave and cell phone ruin the show.

I've seen both that's why i think your friend wouldnt have a problem with S;G so yeah, a higschooler fabrics a time machine with a microwave so what? as far as i know DW has more stupid things than steins;gate, in fact i could say S;G is even more serious than DW

Nov 29, 2015 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
Well S;G is already a good choice, but as you have argued that he might not like it, maybe FMA:B? It has fresh ideas which might generate interest.

I have a friend who was addicted to anime after watching FMA:B
Nov 29, 2015 5:04 AM

Sep 2009
strider_91 said:
Well S;G is already a good choice, but as you have argued that he might not like it, maybe FMA:B? It has fresh ideas which might generate interest.

I have a friend who was addicted to anime after watching FMA:B

Wow, I missed an obvious one.
Nov 29, 2015 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
. He likes garbage TV shows like House of Cards,

And I thought we were brothers since we both loved Lelouch .You traitor.............

OT :Anime is for weaboos (yes ,we are all weaboos) Normal people generally avoid this kind of stuff because they can't relate with it .I think that after you pass a certain age you can't start on anime anymore .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nov 29, 2015 5:05 AM

Sep 2009
Evildragon16 said:
MortalMelancholy said:
. He likes garbage TV shows like House of Cards,

And I thought we were brothers since we both loved Lelouch .You traitor.............

OT :Anime is for weaboos (yes ,we are all weaboos) Normal people generally avoid this kind of stuff because they can't relate with it .I think that after you pass a certain age you can't start on anime anymore .

It was interesting until it went into their love lives, and everyone started... *throws up*
Nov 29, 2015 5:07 AM

Jul 2012
Maybe try a movie instead?
Nov 29, 2015 5:10 AM

Jul 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Evildragon16 said:

It was interesting until it went into their love lives, and everyone started... *throws up*

I haven't even finished season one .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nov 29, 2015 5:21 AM

Jan 2015
follow your friends
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Nov 29, 2015 5:41 AM

Apr 2011
You don't fix what is not broken.
Nov 29, 2015 5:42 AM

Sep 2013
show him OPM..if it didn't work, then your freind's taste must be beyond -9000
Nov 29, 2015 5:47 AM

Dec 2014
Forcing him to get into anime is BAD. Let his own taste decide just recommend him to watch anime that he will possibly likes and take account the anime you are recommending are the really good ones. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a good anime with less japanese culture and more western culture he can relate from.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 3 hours ago

9 by KitsuFrost »»
1 minute ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

191 by alshu »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you update the rating of anime you've already finished before? Is it an upgrade or downgrade usually?

Rinrinka - Apr 14

32 by deg »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

38 by Maou_heika »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 4 hours ago

22 by MillerEvans23 »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.