【Anime Guild】2015 Anime Trivia Challenge [Qualifying Round][Closed]
Must be a Club Member to Reply
Nov 28, 2015 11:28 PM
【Anime Guild】2015 Anime Trivia Challenge [Qualifying Round]
Current Highest score: 129.5 | Average score: 60.3 | Number of participants: 36
Welcome to the qualifying (quiz) round of Anime Guild's first end of year anime trivia challenge, in which you are given the chance to showcase your knowledge of the anime year that has gone by.
All members are invited and highly encouraged to participate in this qualification quiz.
The qualifying round will last until 10 December 23:59 GMT
Will you become our first Anime Trivia Champion?
>>>Important things to note:<<<
a. Please READ the instructions on the quiz carefully. (you will make mistakes if you don't)
b. Set aside 30 minutes to take the quiz. (It will probably take less time)
c. Each individual question is timed.
d. For sections 1-3, points are deducted for incorrect selections (therefore, minimize blind guesses esp. for section 3)
e. Only the first attempt will be counted towards qualification for the finals.
f. However, you may attempt the quiz multiple times to improve your reward tier.
g. Before starting the quiz, test if the following audio file works. You may have to click the arrow and wait a few seconds to get it to start playing. Click here to test audio
h. If you have great difficulties in reading English (e.g. You take over 15 seconds to read a sentence), inform Forgotten_memo via pm.
i. Do NOT discuss the questions or content with anyone apart from Forgotten_memo via PM.
j. Please share your score and opinions of the quiz in the comments below!
Click here to Participate
Remember to read the instructions
Timeline of the competition
1. Qualifying Round (quiz-format) | Now to 10 Dec 2015 23:59 GMT
2. Grand Finals (A live game-show style session) | 13 Dec 2015 00:00 GMT (subject to change)
3. Awards Ceremony Thread opened (for award claims) | 31 Dec 2015/Early Jan 2015
The following are some of the awards that can be won:
From Qualifying round:
- All who participate in the qualifying round will get badges.
- The badges you are eligible for will be based on your respective score tier. (Thresholds are kept a secret until they are unlocked)
- The top scorers of the qualifying round will be invited to take part in the finals
Participation goal bonus:
- 1 additional badge choice to select from per score tier: Total score from members > 3 x Total score from officers
- Another additional badge choice to select from per score tier: Total score from all members > 2000
- Additional commemorative badge: Total score from all members > 5,000; first 20 participants and all who score 120 and above.
- Promotion badge: Share the quiz with 10 other active MAL members via comments (pm the usernames to forgotten_memo )
From final round:
- Finals badge to all who take part.
- Spectator badge to all who watch the live event.
- Top three participants will be given a custom bronze, silver and gold Guild badge respectively.
- Bragging rights
- Winner of the final round will have their name added to the Guild’s Hall of history.
*Only members of the guild are eligible for awards*
1. Why is the quiz so hard?
- The quiz was made difficult to differentiate 'knowledge level' amongst those who know the anime season well. In fact, following beta-tests, we have already taken efforts to introduce easier questions alongside hard ones. If the quiz were to be made even easier, the quiz would lose it's ability to help us pick out members for the finals.
2. Why did I score so low?
- As mentioned before, the quiz is difficult and as such, getting a low score is perfectly normal. In fact, during beta-testing involving season watchers, the average score was only 16/60. It is also possible that you may have gotten a low score because you answered several questions incorrectly from section 1-3 (resulting in points being deducted). Other reasons could include not following the answer guidelines in section 4. etc. The questions and answers have been checked several times to ensure they are accurate. If you would like to know a breakdown of your score (by section), PM Forgotten_memo directly.
3. I think one of the answers is not accurate. What should I do?
- Do NOT discuss it below. PM me and I will look into it. While chances are that the answers are accurate, I cannot discount the possibility of an oversight on my part. In the case that the answer is indeed incorrect, the question will be changed ASAP, an announcement will be made and I will backtrack the responses. Finally, all members who got the question wrong as a result of the error will have their scores changed.
4.The audio file is not working. What should I do?
- First, try clicking the arrow and waiting up to 15 seconds. If that doesn't work, double-check that it isn't because of a soundcloud server error by playing any other random audio on soundcloud. If that still doesn't work, pm me and I will send you a different version of the quiz.
5.The audio files are not working while I'm taking the quiz. Can I have this score voided?
- You should have followed the instructions on this page and done an audio file test to make sure soundcloud files work. As such, unless the fault was due to unforeseen circumstances such as a server error or the audio file being deleted, the score will still be taken as your first score. You may still take the quiz again to improve reward tiers though.
6. I messed up. Can I retake the test?
- Yes you may retake it as many times as you want to improve your reward tier; however, take note unless the mess up was due to an unforeseen error, only the first score will count towards qualification for the finals.
7. Can I take the quiz if I'm not a member of Anime guild?
- Wait... You aren't a member? Then join us. XD Anyways, if for whatever reason, you do not want to join us, there is nothing we can do to stop you from taking the quiz, so feel to do so to test out your knowledge of 2015's anime; however, your score will not be taken into account when computing data from the quiz and you will not be eligible for any of the awards or qualification for the Finals. TLDR: Yes you can, but just join us :)
8. Can I use the questions on this quiz for 'such and such' reason?
- Yea, feel free to use the questions so long as it's after the qualifying round ends. Just remember to credit us. :) However, as do not own the pictures and audio files, we have no right to grant you permission to disseminate or use them.
9. Are OVAs and Specials etc. in the quiz?
- Yes they are. Everything regarding 2015 anime can be assessed; however, in section 4, try to avoid giving OVAs and Specials as answers unless you are specifically asked to do so.
10. What do I get for taking part in this competition?
- You get to find out how well you know the anime year. Apart from that, you can get the things mentioned in the awards section. The badges you can get will be revealed during the awards ceremony.
11. How do I claim my awards?
- A thread An 'Awards ceremony' will be held at the end of 2015 or start of 2016 announcing the collated results and the badges members may claim. Just post in that thread to claim your award.
12. What is the grand finals like?
- The grand finals will likely be a live game-show like event. During it, 5 or 6 candidates will be shot questions by the gamemasters (admins/selected members) and the first to get the question correct will get the score. We are also considering adding some 'twists' and spectator participation; however, as the exact timing and details are still being ironed out, we will update those who have participated in this round on the matter via comments or PM.
13. How do I qualify for the finals?
- The top 5 scorers from this qualifying round will be invited to the finals. If there is a lot of members who want to take part in the finals, a wild card nomination may be held to select an additional qualifier.
14. Can I spectate for the finals?
- We intend to make the finals open for spectating so that all members may join in the fun. However, we are looking for an appropriate platform to host it such that spectators may not spoil the answers.
15. What are the thresholds for the prize tiers?
- ひ・み・つ :)
16. Why are points deducted?
- Points are deducted so that scores would more accurately reflect knowledge since points earned through blind guesses will be negated. This will help better discern between those who actually know the answers and those who are blindly guessing. TLDR: Point deduction makes the quiz a more accurate metric for assessing knowledge of 2015 anime trivia.
Basic Statistics (First Attempts):
For those who are into statistics and math (will be updated once there's at least 10 samples):
Highest score: 129.5
Mean score (x̄): 60.3
Standard Deviation (s): 30.3
Number of unique participants (n): 36
Median score: 60.5
Total score from all participants: 2171.5
Last updated: 7 Dec 2015, 0257H GMT
Competition banner (Feel free to use it n_n)
Modified by Forgotten_Memo, Sep 24, 2016 12:35 AM
Nov 28, 2015 11:37 PM
== Leaderboard ==
1. HaXXspetten - 129.5*
2. thanna - 114*
3. Burger-Meister - 110.5*
4. Raito-senpai - 106 (116.5)
5. GhostReconSpart - 90.5*
6. Grandiloquence - 89.5*
7. FzFz - 86
8. Hibbington - 84.5
9. LoneWizard - 84
10. superlink1205 - 83.5
11. Selinea - 78.5
12. sugoikemono - 76.5
13. Silyon - 70 (107)
14. Akanoshi_ - 70
15. AngelShiva - 69
16. Reiranyaa - 68
17. fatezer0 - 67.5
18. DarkBlaze63 - 65.5
19. SimonMattila - 55.5 | rando345 - 55.5
21. Cornelia63261 - 50.5
22. Vanguardium - 48.5
23. Wym - 47
24. blankis1 - 46 (73)
25. vic10tor2 - 47*
26. Watermelon-chan - 41
27. Rauzi - 37
28. HunterKhim - 35.5
29. madarah - 33.5
30. Jayden - 32
31. Youtube_Nerd123 - 30.5
32. HikaruAkio - 26
33. DerekBread - 21.5
34. vita-anime - 12.5
35. Anime-Tron - 9
36. Rhaijyn - 8
Numbers in the brackets are the highest retake scores.
Asterisks (*) denote scores that have been increased/decreased after manual checks on responses.
If you'd like your name to appear as anonymous, please PM Forgotten_memo
Modified by Forgotten_Memo, Jan 5, 2016 4:42 AM
Nov 29, 2015 1:30 AM
Hug Addict <3
Joined: May 2013
Missed a couple ones due to running out of time just when I found the answer. Also recognizing all the OPs and EDs but not remembering what anime they were from was kind of annoying >.>
Nov 29, 2015 3:28 AM
Nov 29, 2015 3:44 AM
Nov 29, 2015 5:16 AM
Nov 29, 2015 7:08 AM
Nov 30, 2015 10:43 PM
Dec 1, 2015 5:31 AM
Dec 1, 2015 7:03 AM
Dec 1, 2015 12:59 PM
Dec 1, 2015 4:48 PM
Dec 1, 2015 7:09 PM
Dec 2, 2015 4:14 AM
Dec 2, 2015 5:24 PM
Those are still valiant attempts. :) I would consider any score that reaches the first tier to be a pass. However, if you aren't satisfied with your result or want to get a better score tier/badge tier, feel free to retake the quiz as many times as you'd like.
Dec 2, 2015 11:04 PM
Dec 3, 2015 3:20 AM
Dec 3, 2015 10:03 AM
Dec 3, 2015 2:15 PM
Dec 3, 2015 5:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
You know why? I was distracted the whole time by my dearest family that kept shooting questions at me while I was doing this. I'm going to flip a table.
"Courage" was on the tip of my tongue, and I couldn't fucking think of it. I'm so angry at myself. I'm going to punch by computer.
Dec 3, 2015 6:48 PM
Dec 3, 2015 7:37 PM
Dec 3, 2015 9:32 PM
Dec 4, 2015 1:38 AM
Dec 4, 2015 10:16 AM
Dec 4, 2015 10:57 AM
Dec 4, 2015 10:59 AM
Dec 4, 2015 11:54 AM
Dec 4, 2015 12:01 PM
It's been there for a while actually XD
The timing for the other rounds has not been fixed yet though, as I am waiting for the qualifying round to end so that I can finalize who has been shortlisted for the finals and to come to a conclusion with them.
I will announce the date and time via the official finals' thread within 36 hours of the qualifying round ending and give all who participated in the quiz a comment/pm though. :)
Also, we are just 68 points shy of the 2000 point stretch goal o.O
Dec 4, 2015 5:38 PM
Dec 5, 2015 8:41 AM
Dec 6, 2015 6:12 PM
Dec 7, 2015 11:46 AM
Ya it's a pretty tough quiz. For those who want a better gauge of how well you've done than a score out of 200, you can use this website to calculate your percentile.
Step 1: Type in the updated mean and SD that is provided under the Basic Statistics (First Attempts) section of the Original post.
Step 2: Select below and type in your score.
Step 3: Calculate and multiply the result by 100 - this is your estimated percentile (percentage of individuals you scored better than)
In this case, the results reveal that scoring 100 places one approximately in the 90th percentile (Scoring better than 90 percent of the community)
- This method assumes the results are modelled by a normal distribution.
- Sample SD is used in the calculation instead of Population SD
- The average score we have is probably higher than what the general anime-watching community would score if they had taken it considering that those who are less confident in their anime trivia abilities will probably shun the quiz. (i.e. Sample consists of more people who know anime trivia well than entire anime-watching population.)
Modified by Forgotten_Memo, Dec 7, 2015 11:51 AM
Dec 9, 2015 5:33 AM
Dec 10, 2015 6:24 AM
Dec 10, 2015 9:27 AM
Dec 10, 2015 4:55 PM