Forum Settings
Forums

Are Kara no Kyokai movies good example of how anime adaptations should be done? And are they supposed to be seen with previous knowledge of novel material?

New
Nov 28, 2015 10:31 AM
Sep 2007
This morning I was reading for some time on Type-Moon Wiki pages about Toko and Aoko Aozaki, primary about their roles in Mahotsukai no Yoru, because, well, I don't have will, nor time to go and read novel - still, it was an interesting read, even for a summary, and I kinda see Toko in more impressive light than before - not that I didn't liked her in KnK movies, not to mention amazing performance by Takako Honda as her seiyu.

I don't know why, but when today night fell, and I was returning home, cold air and night itself for some reason reminded me of some scenes from KnK movies that I saw quite a while ago - still remember when fifth movie was #1 on MAL when it came, and there was a lot talk about it on forums.

I myself, while not crazy fan of KnK stuff, did always found something very nice in them, as well as Mikiya as rather good protagonist, and, well, Shiki too.

It really showed how much anime, IMO, got, animation-wise, compared to the older stuff.

Not really just thread for KnK, but what do you think, is there any other anime that adapted novel source as well, or better than KnK movies - especially considering that compared to manga, novels don't have as much of pictures, and since text is majority of them, every reader will imagine in his/her own way, aside from shown things such as characters' designs, I guess.

I do have to admit I only read years ago, a little bit of KnK first novel, I think, so I can't really say in entirety I could compare it to anime movies, but from what I saw from them, they were really good.
Nov 28, 2015 10:32 AM

Mar 2014
Yes
No
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 28, 2015 10:35 AM

Nov 2015
yeah for type moon in general style over substance is a good way to go.
Nov 28, 2015 10:35 AM
Nov 2015
Kara no Kyoukai was terrible though op
Good adaptations dont adapt bad source material
RandollNov 28, 2015 10:39 AM
Nov 28, 2015 10:37 AM

Mar 2015
perje said:
Randoll_ said:
Good adaptations dont adaptate bad source material
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 28, 2015 10:45 AM
Sep 2007
Wait, are you guys serious that KnK movies were bad?

I mean, it wasn't the best anime stuff I ever saw, but quality was amazing.

As for substance, I guess everyone will say differently, although, for me they weren't really shallow, to be honest.
Nov 28, 2015 10:47 AM
Nov 2015
Kuma said:
perje said:
Randoll_ said:

how is this bait?
Nov 28, 2015 10:48 AM

Sep 2015
Watched only the first one. Didn't like it but I'll check out the rest eventually. Isn't my priority though.
Nov 28, 2015 10:51 AM

Mar 2015
Psajdak said:
Wait, are you guys serious that KnK movies were bad?

I mean, it wasn't the best anime stuff I ever saw, but quality was amazing.

As for substance, I guess everyone will say differently, although, for me they weren't really shallow, to be honest.

not really..there are about 7-8 obligatory vocal people who will harp on similar stuff

OT:I kinda agree with your using KNK as an example except KNK6 which was a mess.

As to the second question,no..it should be standing on its own.
AnimesticNov 28, 2015 10:55 AM
Nov 28, 2015 10:59 AM

Nov 2015
Of course you want something to look good. Adaptions also seem better well received if the only changes done or made are simply aesthetic or make something more likable even at the expense of the source. No one complains about flamethrower spears in Seirei no Moribito or making the prince important instead of an asshole as in the book.
Nov 28, 2015 7:42 PM

Feb 2015
while i have recently finished KnK and still have my wild admiration for it, i would say not to. KnK is a very specific story that, i feel, had to be done in the way it was done. i would not recommend that others follow its way. it's way too unique.
Nov 28, 2015 7:46 PM

Sep 2009
Kuma said:
perje said:
Randoll_ said:

Everything that needed to be said~
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 28, 2015 8:33 PM

Dec 2012
I didn't know anything about the source and I loved them. So for the first part I can't say and second question is a no; an adaptation should be an adequate substitute for the source. Although, the source is usually more detailed and expanded.
KruszerNov 28, 2015 8:38 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 28, 2015 8:54 PM

Jun 2015
Not the 6th movie, though.
Nov 28, 2015 8:57 PM
Apr 2015
AltoRoark99 said:

or the epilogue
Nov 28, 2015 9:54 PM

May 2014
AltoRoark99 said:
I agree
There should have been more incest

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

27 by MichaelJackson »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
30 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
32 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
34 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.