Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 28, 2015 12:19 AM

Oct 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Been one month and there is no discussion about it so I'm starting one after rewatching it. That makes it my second time watching it. Loved the series a lot. Didn't expect the plot twist there and that Sumire and Remo were actually kinda related. Overall a pretty good series. Animation and story-wise it was pretty rich. Near the end there are feels too as expected.

Do you guys enjoy it? What are your opinions about it?
JiharoNov 28, 2015 3:35 AM
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Nov 28, 2015 12:34 AM

Dec 2013
Just finished the movie in Anime Festival Asia.

I am still confused onto what happened in the story, and I believe it would be better to have a TV series than just a movie. I felt that there were a few Madoka moments...

The animation looks great, as expected from A-1 Pictures. Sound effect and music are well-done (the sound system there was awesome too!). Voice acting is AWESOME, Yumiri Hanamori, Risa Taneda and Ayane Sakura did an awesome job!!

I hope there is a synopsis I can understand so I don't have to wait for the BD release lol
Nov 28, 2015 12:53 AM

Oct 2012
SkyNoHoshi said:
Just finished the movie in Anime Festival Asia.

I am still confused onto what happened in the story, and I believe it would be better to have a TV series than just a movie. I felt that there were a few Madoka moments...

The animation looks great, as expected from A-1 Pictures. Sound effect and music are well-done (the sound system there was awesome too!). Voice acting is AWESOME, Yumiri Hanamori, Risa Taneda and Ayane Sakura did an awesome job!!

I hope there is a synopsis I can understand so I don't have to wait for the BD release lol

I'm going to watch it the third time when it's officially released in January. I find it pretty easy to understand if you pay enough attention.
JiharoNov 28, 2015 3:36 AM
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Nov 28, 2015 1:48 AM

Jan 2014
I was a bit confused in the beginning when i watched the movie in AFA. It sort of reminds me of comet lucifer x houkago no plaeides. That was my first impression. So during the show, they mentioned about the vios and mother, then remo and the antivirus girls. Thereafter, there is this sumire girl. Pretty cool show though, i would love it if the show is a bit more easy to digest. Need to rewatch it again to understand further!
Nov 28, 2015 2:13 AM

Dec 2013
I like how exclusive the movie is to us lol
Nov 28, 2015 2:53 AM

Feb 2014
I just watched it during the AFA. I am still very confused, still I love the design and art. 7/10
Nov 28, 2015 3:06 AM

Jan 2012
Same thoughts. I was left pretty confused even after they tried to explain how the program caused the extinction of mankind or something. Loved the animation and music though :)
Nov 28, 2015 3:37 AM

Oct 2012
SkyNoHoshi said:
I like how exclusive the movie is to us lol

Not really. This was an INTERNATIONAL premiere, not world premiere.
Nov 28, 2015 4:53 AM

Jun 2011
Honestly I was really confused because I had no background on this whatsoever. When it was finished, I was still wondering what was going on but I think if it had been less disjointed, it would've been more enjoyable.

The animation was nice though :")) And the premise itself it pretty interesting.

Nov 28, 2015 6:34 AM
Apr 2013
It's hard to adequately explain though
I'll admit it's nice, though at the same time it feels like it's trying to do a little bit much of everything, not that it's a bad thing, just that the whiplashes (and somewhat minor horror aspects) are kind of ......off putting, at times.
(I'm also not entirely sure what the "meaning" of the story is, so to speak)

I think one way to say is that, it sort of feels like if Angel Beats x Madoka x Yuuki Yuuna crammed into one 1 hour~ish movie
Nov 28, 2015 9:58 AM

Dec 2014
i honestly think that garakowa being a movie suits the development and pacing of the show. if it were a series of even a single cour means that while there's more than ample time for the show to develop its characters and possibly slowly reveal parts of the premise and story, it would be pretty boring to see how the girls spend their days together.

the movie moved through this really quickly, and i felt that if it wasn't handled well enough, it would seem like a simple slice of life for most of its episodes. also, i felt the disjointedness of the scenes in the beginning was trying to build up to an "AHA!" moment, but.. didn't feel like the audience would have gotten it.

just my two cents' worth though. nevertheless, i really want to get a copy of that OST asap
Nov 29, 2015 6:50 PM

Jul 2009
Remember that the producer also mentioned that it's not exactly a movie you can understand in one sitting. The staff also had to watch it multiple times themselves.

Unfortunately, watching it on the big screen doesn't give you the luxury of pausing and rewinding to be able to listen carefully to the scenes again.

One thing that may need clarification is
Unfortunately, I don't quite remember the details as much anymore.

This is the character relation chart from the official website.
arsonalNov 29, 2015 7:01 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Nov 30, 2015 5:07 AM

Dec 2013
^ That's useful! Now if only someone can translate everything...
Jan 16, 2016 9:19 AM

Dec 2013
it's now out in crunchyroll!
Jan 16, 2016 9:49 AM

Aug 2013
How much CGish is this movie?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 16, 2016 10:04 AM

Dec 2013
rsc-pl said:

i don't recall any CGI in the movie, or maybe it's just unnoticeable.
Jan 16, 2016 10:27 AM

Mar 2015
It was so good... but so damn confusing, the whole explanation about the extinction of humanity.. ok, i think i need watch it again, but the Animation/OST were pretty good, 8/10 for now.
Jan 16, 2016 10:35 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Nice art and animations and good production values. The movie felt confusing at times, but overall it was alright. Will watch again later.

4/5 or 7/10
Jan 16, 2016 11:00 AM

Mar 2014
rsc-pl said:
Your usual amount I guess.
Lots of just filtered real life backgrounds and scenery tho.

Movie was alright.
Honestly kinda messy and silly at times.
Could have used with being longer.
Jan 16, 2016 11:16 AM

Aug 2013
Ok I just watched it. Art and animation is OK. Not much visible CG and if it is present, it's not ugly, a bit too soft, I mean everything is a little too blurred (but I noticed it when I was taking screencaps for my blog, when I watched it on my 46'' TV, which is placed ~5m from my bed, it was unnoticeable) . But I'm kinda glad, because almost every anime movie looks like shit in this days, this one looks nice.
Great concept in general, I really liked this world and the whole idea.
Insert songs were awesome too.
Rimo <3
8/10
rsc-plJan 17, 2016 5:09 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 16, 2016 11:18 AM
Jun 2012
And is out on torrents
Jan 16, 2016 11:25 AM

Nov 2011
This was a strange movie imo.

What I did find interesting is the world fiction and the terminology used that pertains with technology. Remo(?) reminds me of Menma in terms of character design. The animation was nice but yeah like arsonal said, I may have to rewatch it again to truly understand the ideas behind this.

The world adventure of the three girls was fun to watch. Dat song.
I don't remember any CGI in this movie at all. As some mentioned, I think this movie would of been better suited for a TV series. Quite confusing but the connection between the three main girls were cute in particular with Remo's presence.
Jan 16, 2016 12:14 PM

Nov 2012
This movie was fine,nothing special tbh 6/10.

Liked the different experiences they had in different worlds.

Dorothy was my favorite of the girl cause of Ayane Sakura's voice and oppai loli appeal ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Feel this likely would've been better as a TV series.
Jan 16, 2016 1:25 PM

Jan 2015
Thank you A-1 Pictures for this beautiful movie ;-;
This is what I want! A dark and mindfuck anime!

Still I think that this would have been better as a TV series.
Jan 16, 2016 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
I think the story was rather confusing a little for me, but I think it also delivered what it had, I felt very emotional at the very least.

The connection and relationship between the three girls was so nice though.

The art and animation, the music all with nice harmony and combined perfectly for this.

8/10 for me.
Jan 16, 2016 2:24 PM

Sep 2008
I liked it!
Wonderful animation!
Great music!
Ending theme song was so pretty *.*
This was pretty cool how they showed girls doing diffrent things, visit diffrent countries :)
They could make tv series for this show,
because I don't really get something and I wish they could explain in more detail something this, but still...
This was good!
Wish there was more of this :)
Jan 16, 2016 3:47 PM

Mar 2014
it was pretty good in its artistic aspects. i felt like "mother" wasnt exactly explained that well nor the way remo relates to everything. like there was stuff about a dead daughter whom im assuming was remo? and then stuff about the grandmother and mother and things got a little too convoluted because it was passing by so quickly. not bad though it might just require two sit throughs to fully digest everything 8/10
Jan 16, 2016 4:23 PM

Apr 2014
Men...MENMA!! Ops, wrong anime.
Ano Hana + Madoka = Glass No Hana.(?)
This started out all colorful, but near the end is a bit dark...
T^T Remo...added with the ED...damn why you do this T^T.
9/10
Jan 16, 2016 4:51 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty pointless. I don't think having a post apocalyptic show about McAfee and Norton teaming up on a system to learn piano and how to cook is a compelling story. I'll continuing counting the days until the Reboot reboot.
Jan 16, 2016 6:45 PM

Sep 2015
To be honest this left me cold. Pretty, well acted, but no emotional connection to speak of. More here: https://piratesobg.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/garakowa-restore-the-world-2016-with-some-spoilers/
A schedule bears the same relationship to reality as Astrology.
https://piratesobg.wordpress.com/
Jan 16, 2016 8:40 PM

Jan 2009
the voice acting was hella good as well as the music and it had so much madoka vibes that I didn't mind being confused. guess i'll watch it again right now

9/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 16, 2016 9:33 PM

Jan 2011
Sigh. Ya this was unfortunately not good. The girls development and bond was nice but with a patchwork narrative it suffers heavily...considering this is more of a drama than anything.

6/10 pretty but that's it. Hard to invest emotionally when it just slams together just because
Jan 16, 2016 9:38 PM
Sep 2008
thats one way to illustrate what heuristics are i guess.
Jan 17, 2016 12:53 AM
Jul 2015
9.5/10. Love the graphics and the characters and of course the music (too bad it haven't released it on youtube yet, I wanted to play that piece too with my own piano).Besides that it's a littleee sad that remo is gone (although i'm sure she will meet them again). I love it!!
Jan 17, 2016 4:46 AM

Oct 2013
Dude... what if our world is just backup data like that?

Like everyone else said, it was vaguely confusing, probably because the plot twists were poorly explained. However, unlike everyone else, I strongly disagree this should've been a series. It would've benefited from another 30 minutes to better elaborate upon the narrative, but otherwise, the strength of the story lies in its short runtime. The production values were positively glorious too, and I don't think it would've been as beautiful or artful if its budget was stretched across a 12 episode series.

I also don't think it could've kept my attention nearly as well either but that's more of a subjective thing...

I love the premise and story development, but it kind of feels like a poverty version of PMMM although I like the premise to this much more than PMMM's premise and some of the moments range from melodramatic to downright cheesy. Setting it in a post-apocalyptic world was a fascinating idea, especially because it didn't evolve into some bullshit grand scheme to "save humanity" or anything ridiculous like that.

The ending doesn't make much sense either, but that might just be due to an incomplete understanding of wtf happened.

I think I got the gist of everything, but I'll probably rewatch this sometime in the future anyway. Seems like the haziness and confusion regarding the narrative would make it a good rewatch.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 17, 2016 4:48 AM

Dec 2013
At least the movie had Risa Taneda. That is about it. Awful movie.
Jan 17, 2016 5:09 AM

Jan 2014
Rewatching for the second time and I still feel, somewhat confused.
Eh I guess the story isn't too good but it's not too bad. Felt too rushed. Same with characters I guess.
That being said, I like the small extra with Dorothy drinking milk in that cafe (cuz she got the melons huehuehue).
Art and sound is fantastic. Lots and I mean LOTS of variety for the character designs. Piano music is amazing.

Overall this anime is more to an art showcase than a storytelling. Wonder if one day they can remake this into a series...

7/10
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
Jan 17, 2016 7:01 AM

Apr 2014
if i understand wtf was going on then i would've prob had them feels. but nope
Jan 17, 2016 10:42 AM

Oct 2008
Didn't quite get maybe about 40% of the end explanation... Not sure how it works that they can still protect the world after humanity went extinct and why it's possible for Remo to come back in the future?

Half the show was CGDCT and for a moment I was afraid if it was going to be one of those shows. Then I realised that it would likely end with one of them disappearing since they spent so much screentime painting the relationship between the three, but I still felt sad when they had to delete Remo.

Did not like the abrupt fade outs and not impressed by the character designs. I couldn't stop seeing Dual and Dorothy as Yukinon and Yui, and I don't know why futuristic clothing means less cloth. Staff did put a lot of effort into the art for the scenery from all over the world though, I'll give them that. Yokoyama-san did a nice job with the music too. Overall I don't really know what to think except I did enjoy it for the most part and it had pretty art.
Jan 17, 2016 3:46 PM

May 2012
I really loved the atmosphere and setting! It was quite unique and even the pacing was pretty good. I must say that I sure liked this movie, even though the story was a bit more on the weak side it was still pretty good!

All in all a very good movie I must say!
Jan 17, 2016 3:48 PM

Feb 2013
If this 'movie' had a length of 90+ minutes I would rate it higher than my current 8/10.
Jan 18, 2016 5:10 AM

May 2015
As expected of A-1 Pictures, loved the visuals. Definitely loved the character design too, and the girls were lovely. The music was also fantastic. So many terminology used related to system security, like heuristics, lol. That was pretty neat.

Wished the movie was longer than just an hour, though, or just as a TV show. They could've used that to explain and elaborate on some elements a lot better. Some things were still pretty vague or confusing, or simply went by too fast. It also could've left a lot more impact that way. Still a solid movie overall in my opinion. Might rewatch in the future. Pretty unique show. 8/10.
ReverberateJan 19, 2016 2:02 AM

Jan 18, 2016 8:05 AM

Nov 2011
The film, by their nature, have limitations and advantages, and limit the duration of the story, it is not shown then all that can serve to understand what is told, but at least this time much of the plot is quite clear. The advantages are the high quality drawings and animations, ditto for the sets. The underlying message is clear: the Earth is one and must be protected from the unscrupulous, must give birth to a new human model, closer to it is detached from the logic of profit and the sole power. Very nice ending.

For now, my vote is 8.5/10.
Jan 18, 2016 9:56 AM

Sep 2014
Well that was interesting.. A bit sad, but the ending felt like it was set up for a continuation. Dual reminded me a lot of Yukino from Yahari as well, so that's a nice bonus. Art was really good and same for the music. The fights felt a bit lack listened but that's okay. Hoping there is a sequel someday as I enjoyed it.

8/10
Jan 18, 2016 4:21 PM

Dec 2009
Zadion said:
Dude... what if our world is just backup data like that?
Welcome to the Matrix.

I was absolutely astounded by this movie. Right from the get-go i was impressed by the directing and sound design This is of a design standard most anime should have imo.

The sound design was fantastic
The story was powerful

This is another example of an anime that it designed to make you use your brain. There was piles of non-linear aspects and subtleties to define the soul of this story. The family lineage thing was a little hard to define logistically, but it doesn't matter. Stories like these are meant to tap into imagination and emotion, not make sense in a physical mindset. As an art piece it transcended reality with a brilliance and made me love it to bits.

Instantly a 9/10 and now one of my favourite movies.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 18, 2016 8:12 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah we needed an anime cour for this
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jan 18, 2016 8:47 PM

Dec 2009
I disagree. I feel if this got stretched much more than it is, it'll get dry and spoonfeedy. Double it's length, maybe if you add more layers to the plot, but quadruple? Nope. Plus if it becomes a tv anime it'll greatly suffer in production quality and directorial presentation.

I forgot to mention that the 3D in this was beautiful, virtually seamless from the rest of the 2D unless you're looking for it.
GenesisAriaJan 18, 2016 9:04 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 19, 2016 12:53 AM

Dec 2008
I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I clicked it. I was sure surprised and actually enjoyed it. Reminded me a bit of Yuuki Yuuna really, although the latter was definitely much more immersive and intense, personally speaking

Despite how much I liked it I am with the vast majority's opinion on the idea that had this movie gotten a bit more time to flesh out its characters and their development with each other beyond the short supercut we got (which was adorable btw), it would've made for a much more emotional ride. Plus some of the story elements weren't made quite clear enough, I personally loved more development on Dorothy's end since she was my favorite from the film.

I think it's worth a sit down to watch for a casual movie night.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Jan 19, 2016 6:00 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
My Antivirus can't be this cute~
So my Avast Antivirus looks cute like them?

Although the story was a bit confusing, this anime has super cute character design, as expected of Kantoku, one of my favorite chara designer. It also has great looking visual, love the moment when those three girls went around "the world".

I want Dual as my personal antivirus

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 19, 2016 3:57 PM
Apr 2015
I liked the art, the animation and the sounds but I find the plot is both easy to get and badly explained for none tech-savvy viewers.
And why the f*** didn't the just call the OS Sumire instead of Violet that would have been easier on viewers that don't names for flowers in different languages.

the plot:
Dual and Dorothy are introduced as Antivirus programs. The run on a system called Box of Wisdom.
On this system humanities culture and achievements are stored (for later generations, I assume).
One of these "memories" is about Sumire. Unpacking this data leads to the activation of Remo.

We learn through the movie that Remo is in fact a Remote program from Mother.exe. (A remote program is something you use to gain access to a server while using another server.)
Mother.exe is an environmental program that stabilizes earth. As such it is smart enough to comprehend that humans are destroying earth and thus wants to destroy humans to save it.

When humanity realizes this they want to destroy Mother.exe. They want to overwrite the program by installing VioletOS. Since the world is so dependent on Mother.exe this leads to their death. (You can think of it as turning of the atmosphere.)

The viruses in the movie are corrupted data as Remo explains. She picked stuff (flowers) out of them that's why they became corrupted (there's something missing).

Who are the persons from the "memories"?
1. Sumire - She is the wife of Daniel Dawson who created VioletOS after her image. Sumire = Violet
2. Mother - The daughter of Daniel and Sumire she is called Diana and has lost her own daughter due to an environmental demonstration gone wrong.
3. Remo(ne) - She is the daughter of Diana (and since she an subprogram also the "daughter" of Mother.exe if you want to call it that) and the granddaughter of Sumire.

Since Sumire is VioletOS that explains why Remo gets activated after her "memory" is unpacked.

Btw did someone besides me notice the 3 of them holding hands after the credit^^
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Key Visual/Character Designs

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2015

9 by Iritails »»
Nov 23, 2015 1:47 AM

» Teaser/Preview (Update 7/18)

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

7 by RPG2000 »»
Jul 18, 2015 9:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.