Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 25, 2015 10:11 AM

Jan 2014
Prince of Tennis (^-^)ρ  _____|_____゜σ(^o^)
I started playing tennis after reading the manga in middle school. Love it. Still play regularly :) I realized that most PoT moves were flashy bs though...

Rookies (ノ・ェ・)ノ               ●      \(゚ー゚\)
I got really interested in baseball after watching the live-action drama >> Went out trying to hit some balls with the kids nearby >> Got a dead ball in the face... (^་།^) >> Rage quit ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 25, 2015 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
I was getting into triathlon and then Yowamushi came out last year and made me bike more. Yes, I do have a triathlon bike.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Dec 14, 2015 2:42 AM

Dec 2009
sbyrstall said:
I was getting into triathlon and then Yowamushi came out last year and made me bike more. Yes, I do have a triathlon bike.
I didn't even know how to ride a bike (terrible, I know) but through Yowamushi Pedal I became quite interested in cycling. Enough so that I even watched a fair bit of last years Tour de France. Safe to say that it's probably the reason I now can ride a bike.
Dec 14, 2015 11:36 AM

Jan 2014
I kinda felt like cycling again too (used to in middle school...) after Yowapeda. My bike only had 4 gears back then. But now it would be a pain to start because where I live is full of traffic jams and air pollution...
Dec 14, 2015 11:39 AM

Jul 2012
yowapeda got me interested in cycling!! but i didnt have a bike and i still don't :C
onoda made it super fun to travel to akihabara each day XD

also, baseball anime got me into softball.. i even tried out for my high school softball team >W<
Dec 14, 2015 12:06 PM

Jan 2014
I kinda have yips now after that dead ball to the face > LOL

I still like baseball though, but I don't think I'd be able to try it again any time soon... Some say that girls mostly play softball. Had I tried that first, it might have hurt a little bit less :))
Dec 14, 2015 12:48 PM

Dec 2009
Mayuka said:
yowapeda got me interested in cycling!! but i didnt have a bike and i still don't :C
onoda made it super fun to travel to akihabara each day XD

also, baseball anime got me into softball.. i even tried out for my high school softball team >W<
You could always hire a bike. I doubt I would ever be able to use it for travel though, I feel as though it takes a lot of confidence to cycle on busy roads.

Vivie said:
I kinda have yips now after that dead ball to the face > LOL

I still like baseball though, but I don't think I'd be able to try it again any time soon... Some say that girls mostly play softball. Had I tried that first, it might have hurt a little bit less :))
Same here! I steer clear of most ball sports because I'm too scared I'll get hit in the face, that and I probably lack the co-ordination to be successful.

It's not so much that they mostly play as it is that they were never allowed to play. Because it's been like that for ages now its can be difficult for women to get into some sports or even be treated as equals in sports. Although I'm pretty sure that most sports have female equivalent leagues, although I don't really follow sports to be sure how equivalent those are to mens ones.
Dec 14, 2015 1:41 PM

Jul 2014
Haikyuu really, really makes want to play volleyball again. I miss the xmas volleyball tournament my high school held so much. It was the only time where winning and being a bit of a tryhard in gym class was acceptable.
Dec 14, 2015 2:26 PM

Jan 2014
I've only played beach volleyball a few times. Even though I sucked XD but it's like the most fun sport to play with friends~

Whimsical-C said:
Same here! I steer clear of most ball sports because I'm too scared I'll get hit in the face, that and I probably lack the co-ordination to be successful.

There are sports with face protection. Like football, hockey, etc... maybe you should try one someday :p

I only have problem when the ball is aimed toward me though... I can play others like tennis just fine.

Btw, I can only think of a few sports where women and men can compete as equals. It's so unfair that men are physically stronger :|
VivieDec 14, 2015 2:30 PM
Dec 14, 2015 2:57 PM

Dec 2009
Vivie said:
Whimsical-C said:

There are sports with face protection. Like football, hockey, etc... maybe you should try one someday :p

I only have problem when the ball is aimed toward me though... I can play others like tennis just fine.

Btw, I can only think of a few sports where women and men can compete as equals. It's so unfair that men are physically stronger :|
I'd still be scared, even when I go to spectate I nearly get hit by something. Never been particularly atheletic anyway, I can barely hit a golf ball sometimes.

Yeah, I don't know many mixed sports. For cycling they've tried arguing that women can compete alongside men and I think there are some where they do but for the Grand Tours I'm pretty sure it's also tradition that stops them from letting women in as equals.
Dec 14, 2015 5:47 PM

Jun 2008
Vivie said:
I've only played beach volleyball a few times. Even though I sucked XD but it's like the most fun sport to play with friends~

Whimsical-C said:

If you watch women's US softball, the helmets do have face protectors on them now.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Dec 14, 2015 9:20 PM

Feb 2013
Does it count if I was inspired to watch sports anime after playing sports?
Dec 14, 2015 9:37 PM

Jan 2014
Sure, This is a discussion :)

sbyrstall said:
If you watch women's US softball, the helmets do have face protectors on them now.

Even then, it wouldn't be easy to overcome Yips if you weren't an anime character...

And not like it's not gonna hurt when you got hit on different parts :D
Mar 30, 2016 10:08 PM

Feb 2015
Prince of Tennis for me too! Then I realized I suck at sports.
Mar 31, 2016 6:39 PM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:

I sucked at first too and I'm not great now. But I still love it. You don't have to be really athletic to enjoy sports. I still remember the sore muscles and peeled skin before I got used to it.
Mar 31, 2016 7:08 PM

Feb 2015
Vivie said:
rayeine said:

I sucked at first too and I'm not great now. But I still love it. You don't have to be really athletic to enjoy sports. I still remember the sore muscles and peeled skin before I got used to it.
That's true. I probably gave up too quickly. Maybe I'll pick up badminton instead of tennis. What do you usually play?
Mar 31, 2016 7:09 PM

Jul 2012
rayeine said:
my life lmao

i wish i started sports earlier on in my life :c
it's hard to get on a team with less than 1 year experience..

rayeine said:
Vivie said:

That's true. I probably gave up too quickly. Maybe I'll pick up badminton instead of tennis. What do you usually play?
yeah, badminton is definitely much easier than tennis LOL
Mar 31, 2016 8:02 PM

Feb 2015
Mayuka said:
rayeine said:
my life lmao

rayeine said:
yeah, badminton is definitely much easier than tennis LOL

Ahaha, or maybe even ping pong? They're all similar enough.

I agree! I feel like its way too late for me to do sports now. I've way passed my high school prime.
Mar 31, 2016 8:09 PM

Jul 2012
rayeine said:
i find ping pong quite hard!! it's a really fast sport lol
Mar 31, 2016 8:30 PM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:

I've been playing tennis ever since then. It's more like working out now few times a week. Some other sports occasionally (skating, swimming, etc). Badminton is good too and easier to start with and you can practice like anywhere :)

I'd like to get back to cycling but like I said the crowded place wasn't very supporting. I enjoy beach volley ball the most when I got to play with friends. And I've always wanted to try skydiving and surfing :P

Mayuka said:

You can always find some community sports clubs. There are always more beginners and people with less experience if you don't mind the varieties.

rayeine said:
I agree! I feel like its way too late for me to do sports now. I've way passed my high school prime.

It's never too late to do sports!! :)
VivieApr 1, 2016 1:09 AM
Apr 1, 2016 6:32 PM

Feb 2015
Mayuka said:
rayeine said:
i find ping pong quite hard!! it's a really fast sport lol
Oh really? Maybe because I had practice with it before, it's easy to me.

Vivie said:
rayeine said:

I've been playing tennis ever since then. It's more like working out now few times a week. Some other sports occasionally (skating, swimming, etc). Badminton is good too and easier to start with and you can practice like anywhere :)

I'd like to get back to cycling but like I said the crowded place wasn't very supporting. I enjoy beach volley ball the most when I got to play with friends. And I've always wanted to try skydiving and surfing :P

rayeine said:

It's never too late to do sports!! :)
That's a lot of sports! I always wanted to try skydiving and surfing/snorkeling but I don't live in an area that allows for them.

Where do you suggest to start for beginners? Maybe a gym membership?
Apr 1, 2016 9:24 PM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:
That's a lot of sports! I always wanted to try skydiving and surfing/snorkeling but I don't live in an area that allows for them.

Where do you suggest to start for beginners? Maybe a gym membership?

I also don't live near more open areas for such activities. The closet thing I can think of is some paragliding clubs here, but they gotta go pretty far out of the city every week to practice.

What sport do you wanna start on? A gym membership is good for working out either way of course :)
Apr 2, 2016 7:11 AM

Jul 2014
Vivie said:
And I've always wanted to try skydiving and surfing :P
I still regret not learning to surf when I was a kid. Now I'm at the point where I'm an adult and absolutely hate the idea of royally sucking at something new.
Apr 2, 2016 7:26 AM

Sep 2015
Oh boy. So I'm not the only one.
Started basketball after Slam Dunk. But I'm tiny so that sadly didn't work out too well. I learned that I am fast a f though.
Ginban Kaleidoscope got me seriously into skating. Won a couple of competitions back in the day.
Captain Tsubasa and Hungry Heart made me a football fan.
There were also some anime (not sure if sports anime though) which made me take up martial arts and am now a taskwondo black belt
Apr 2, 2016 8:21 AM

Jan 2014
ibear said:
I still regret not learning to surf when I was a kid. Now I'm at the point where I'm an adult and absolutely hate the idea of royally sucking at something new.

What a waste! It would be cool to have a surfer dude in our club :))

But I bet you don't mind sucking as much as people "seeing" you sucking (/ _ ; ) So I suggest you find some secluded beaches... and stop regretting!
starlabbu said:
Ginban Kaleidoscope got me seriously into skating. Won a couple of competitions back in the day.
Captain Tsubasa and Hungry Heart made me a football fan.
There were also some anime (not sure if sports anime though) which made me take up martial arts and am now a taskwondo black belt

I play quite a few sports but the only competition I've ever won was a chess tournament... never quite athletic enough.

Football? (o尸’▽’)o尸

Always wanted to do some martial arts too (loved martial arts manga) but I practiced some musical instruments since I was a kid so wasn't allowed to get my hands injured and such... :'(
Apr 2, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2014
Vivie said:
ibear said:

What a waste! It would be cool to have a surfer dude in our club :))

But I bet you don't mind sucking as much as people "seeing" you sucking (/ _ ; ) So I suggest you find some secluded beaches... and stop regretting!
Found this quote about adults learning to surf

"Being a beginner sucks. There’s nothing worse. If you’ve managed to survive to adulthood while preserving even the tiniest, most minuscule shred of pride, it’s gone the instant you step out on a limb and become—God forbid—new at something."

That sums it up pretty well.
Apr 2, 2016 10:29 PM

Feb 2015
Vivie said:

I also don't live near more open areas for such activities. The closet thing I can think of is some paragliding clubs here, but they gotta go pretty far out of the city every week to practice.

What sport do you wanna start on? A gym membership is good for working out either way of course :)
Dang, paragliding. That's pretty neat.

I'm not sure. Perhaps badminton? I doubt I'm physically in shape enough for tennis. Other sports require a team haha.
Apr 3, 2016 5:39 AM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:
I'm not sure. Perhaps badminton? I doubt I'm physically in shape enough for tennis. Other sports require a team haha.

Badminton sounds good. Just gotta find a partner and ya good to go :)

Just so you know ya don't need to be "in shape" to practice tennis ^^ There are many light rackets (<250g~ about 2 times a normal badminton racket) for beginners and even lighter balls if you'd prefer. I started in middle school (I was quite fragile too) and I've seen many younger kids play it with no problem, so I think you'll be fine :) It would take a little time to adjust for sure. Though I doubt you'd even need a gym membership. Just get some dumbbells and work out like 30mins/day and you are good with your arms, or practice swinging with your racket for grip (that was what I did :-s) And unlike badminton you can practice alone too (just go out the backyard and hit the ball toward the walls...)

I could even show you my "starter kit" if you like :P I tend to get excited when people wanna learn about things I love...
Apr 3, 2016 10:05 AM

Feb 2015
Vivie said:

Just so you know ya don't need to be "in shape" to practice tennis ^^ There are many light rackets (<250g~ about 2 times a normal badminton racket) for beginners and even lighter balls if you'd prefer. I started in middle school (I was quite fragile too) and I've seen many younger kids play it with no problem, so I think you'll be fine :) It would take a little time to adjust for sure. Though I doubt you'd even need a gym membership. Just get some dumbbells and work out like 30mins/day and you are good with your arms, or practice swinging with your racket for grip (that was what I did :-s) And unlike badminton you can practice alone too (just go out the backyard and hit the ball toward the walls...)

I could even show you my "starter kit" if you like :P I tend to get excited when people wanna learn about things I love...
You make some good points. I used to own a really professional tennis racket and man, I think I sold it when I gave up the sport.

What was your starter kit? When you said practicing swings it reminded me of the first-years strength training they talked about briefly in PoT.
Apr 3, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2014
If you want to train your grip strength my favorite way is to squeeze a tennis ball while watching tv.kinda sorta almost not totally irrelevant
Apr 4, 2016 1:38 AM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:
You make some good points. I used to own a really professional tennis racket and man, I think I sold it when I gave up the sport.

What was your starter kit? When you said practicing swings it reminded me of the first-years strength training they talked about briefly in PoT.

I think your pro racket back then must have been quite heavy and not really suitable for beginners... That's why you found it hard. If only someone pointed that out for you sooner :)

Swings practice is like the basic training method. You'd be told the same even if you took proper lessons. By "starter kit" I mean just my basic gears ^^ things that I'd take to the court with me and some training equipment for beginners. Those aren't hard to get if you really mean to learn :)
ibear said:
If you want to train your grip strength my favorite way is to squeeze a tennis ball while watching tv.kinda sorta almost not totally irrelevant

A tennis ball wouldn't be easy for someone with small hands :P There are proper tools for that.
Apr 4, 2016 3:11 PM

Feb 2015
Vivie said:

I think your pro racket back then must have been quite heavy and not really suitable for beginners... That's why you found it hard. If only someone pointed that out for you sooner :)

Swings practice is like the basic training method. You'd be told the same even if you took proper lessons. By "starter kit" I mean just my basic gears ^^ things that I'd take to the court with me and some training equipment for beginners. Those aren't hard to get if you really mean to learn :)
What gear do you have aside from the racket & tennis balls? Do you use an expensive racket?

After talking to you I picked up Baby Steps (because I heard it's more realistic) and I really feel like starting the sport up again haha. I might want to join a club/take lessons, but I have to consider the cost.
Apr 4, 2016 9:54 PM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:
What gear do you have aside from the racket & tennis balls? Do you use an expensive racket?

After talking to you I picked up Baby Steps (because I heard it's more realistic) and I really feel like starting the sport up again haha. I might want to join a club/take lessons, but I have to consider the cost.

You should get a proper pair of tennis shoes if you wanna practice seriously (they focus on lateral support and stability) which is important. Some sweatbands would help tightening your wrists. Might wanna tape up your thumb and index finger where the skin tend to peel off when you first start (it should be fine after a while). My racket is not really expensive (chose it for the color mostly :P) and rather light. Ya should consider carefully before stringing your racket and get proper overgrips so you wouldn't have any problem hitting the ball to where you want. I have sweaty palms so I need a tennis glove too. (Might take a pic or something for ya later)

I think I dropped Baby Steps (didn't find it interesting enough :P) If you are already interested in the sport, ya don't need more manga/anime to tell you to get into the real game. Just go for it!! From my experience most people from the clubs, classes don't know what tennis manga/anime are :))
VivieApr 4, 2016 9:58 PM
Apr 5, 2016 8:58 AM

Feb 2015
Vivie said:
You should get a proper pair of tennis shoes if you wanna practice seriously (they focus on lateral support and stability) which is important. Some sweatbands would help tightening your wrists. Might wanna tape up your thumb and index finger where the skin tend to peel off when you first start (it should be fine after a while). My racket is not really expensive (chose it for the color mostly :P) and rather light. Ya should consider carefully before stringing your racket and get proper overgrips so you wouldn't have any problem hitting the ball to where you want. I have sweaty palms so I need a tennis glove too. (Might take a pic or something for ya later)

I think I dropped Baby Steps (didn't find it interesting enough :P) If you are already interested in the sport, ya don't need more manga/anime to tell you to get into the real game. Just go for it!! From my experience most people from the clubs, classes don't know what tennis manga/anime are :))
That's a lot more gear than I thought. I never knew there was an actual point to sweatbands! I just recently bought a pair of running shoes but I think they're meant for walking only. Hmm, did you string your racket after you played for a little while? Maybe I should pick up a book or something. A picture would be nice!

Is it? I think it's alright if a bit slow. The thing is with me, I get interested in things very quickly but I lose interest just as quickly. I'm in my last semester of grad school so I probably won't be able to start playing until after I graduate. This is my way of trying to keep up the excitement.
Apr 5, 2016 8:30 PM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:
That's a lot more gear than I thought. I never knew there was an actual point to sweatbands! I just recently bought a pair of running shoes but I think they're meant for walking only. Hmm, did you string your racket after you played for a little while? Maybe I should pick up a book or something. A picture would be nice!

Is it? I think it's alright if a bit slow. The thing is with me, I get interested in things very quickly but I lose interest just as quickly. I'm in my last semester of grad school so I probably won't be able to start playing until after I graduate. This is my way of trying to keep up the excitement.

The design of running shoes supports, stabilizes and cushions your feet. When you run, you tend to go in one direction, forward. Whereas the running shoes place emphasis on cushioning, tennis shoes focus on lateral support and stability, as many of the movements executed on the tennis court are side-to-side cuts, rather than heel-to-toe running. But when you first start, you don't move a lot yet so I guess your running shoes would suffice until you get better. When you buy a new racket, the strings on it are just for show (kinda like when you buy new glasses frames) You gotta change to your new strings of choice (some places just sell bare frames with no strings).

Take your time to get ready. Though ya should stay on track after starting and try to keep it up. It might feel a bit frustrating at first for most people. Not all of us are born athletes :D But it's really fun when you get the hang of it.

Anyway, some of my basic stuff

My racket is rather light (275g) and is a game improvement racquet (get extra power from the frame) I have others but I love this one the most coz of the color ^^

Some kinds of smaller, lighter balls for beginners if you'd prefer, tape, overgrips stuff
Apr 6, 2016 4:15 PM

Feb 2015
Vivie said:
The design of running shoes supports, stabilizes and cushions your feet. When you run, you tend to go in one direction, forward. Whereas the running shoes place emphasis on cushioning, tennis shoes focus on lateral support and stability, as many of the movements executed on the tennis court are side-to-side cuts, rather than heel-to-toe running. But when you first start, you don't move a lot yet so I guess your running shoes would suffice until you get better. When you buy a new racket, the strings on it are just for show (kinda like when you buy new glasses frames) You gotta change to your new strings of choice (some places just sell bare frames with no strings).

Take your time to get ready. Though ya should stay on track after starting and try to keep it up. It might feel a bit frustrating at first for most people. Not all of us are born athletes :D But it's really fun when you get the hang of it.
I cut out the photos so it won't drag the thread, but they were really useful, thank you! Under the basic stuff, is the white item, fingerless gloves? And if you don't mind me asking, what is the point of the tapes? And the small white bottle?

In addition, I didn't know there were so many differences to the types of shoes. I think I should probably look into an actual tennis sneaker than making do with the one I currently have. I read online that if you use the wrong shoe, it could damage your ankles.

And are you serious? Those strings are fake? I don't think I changed the strings from the racket I bought back in high school because I thought you could just use them as is. Does it make a difference with the impact?
Apr 6, 2016 7:50 PM

Jan 2014
rayeine said:
I cut out the photos so it won't drag the thread, but they were really useful, thank you! Under the basic stuff, is the white item, fingerless gloves? And if you don't mind me asking, what is the point of the tapes? And the small white bottle?

In addition, I didn't know there were so many differences to the types of shoes. I think I should probably look into an actual tennis sneaker than making do with the one I currently have. I read online that if you use the wrong shoe, it could damage your ankles.

And are you serious? Those strings are fake? I don't think I changed the strings from the racket I bought back in high school because I thought you could just use them as is. Does it make a difference with the impact?

Yeah the white thingy's my glove. But you wouldn't need them unless you have really sweaty palms like mine. The tape is for changing overgrips. And those were just different types of overgrips, depends on how you want it to feel in your hands (dry feel, more moist, softness, etc)

You don't really move much on the court when you first start but it's always better to have the right gears :)

When you buy rackets, you choose them for the frames. There are various kinds of strings and the way you string your rackets would make a significant difference to your performance. Well like I've said, the strings you got along with your new racket back then probably didn't make the balls go very far for ya... (the hits feel very heavy) And they would most likely have come loose after a short while.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to convince ya to consider getting back to the game ^^ If you have more questions or need some advice, just hit me up or leave a message. And I think I'd like to know about your progress as well. It's always fun to have people that share your interests (•́⌄•́๑)૭✧
Jul 27, 2016 9:34 PM
Jul 2016
Prince of Tennis for me in high school :) I did Fuji's disappearing serve on a kid in an exhibition match my first year haha I've only been able to do that and a much less exaggerated snake/buggy whip :P otherwise I just play around and enjoy the game.

I've done triathlon for a few years but Free! And Yowamusha always get me pumped for training and races.

Soccer/futbol was my first sport as a kid, but Area No Kishi and Ginga E Kickoff reignited my passion and I played in a local league that year.

And Dan Doh! Was awesome when I first started playing golf :D I learned very quickly real golf doesn't work quite like anime golf... Lol
Sep 27, 2016 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
Giant killing,Inazuma eleven
Oct 25, 2016 10:24 AM

Nov 2014
While literally i haven't tried it yet, actually YowaPeda made me interested with a racing bike since i never tried it before (and i want to).. Too bad that i can't really afford it as for now though..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Jun 29, 2017 4:52 AM

May 2009
Bamboo blade got me into martial arts. Even though I wanted to go for kendo, I didn't find a club near where I live, so I went with karate and iaido instead. But I've stopped doing that since some time ago.
Even if the future is locked or erased I won't end this prayer because I want to convey my real feelings to you

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Apply for Staff

Mayuka - Nov 25, 2015

12 by Mayuka »»
May 14, 2018 10:41 AM

» Running/Track & Field

Dodecahedron-O24 - Apr 17, 2014

8 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:38 PM

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 )

June - Dec 5, 2007

139 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:36 PM

» First Anime? ( 1 2 )

June - Jul 29, 2007

73 by Noene »»
Nov 19, 2017 7:29 PM

» What Sports Anime are you planning to watch? ( 1 2 )

underMebius - Aug 2, 2008

57 by -Ayu »»
Dec 24, 2016 1:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.