Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
Nov 24, 2015 3:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 358
I just started this and was wondering if the Shoujo Ai tag is legit


 
#2
Nov 24, 2015 8:50 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 138
yes most definitely, there is lesbian attractions all over just the main character isnt lesbian like the girls around her
 
#3
Nov 24, 2015 9:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 849
the shoujo-ai is used more for comedy then actually theme. much like K-on and YuruYuri
 
#4
Nov 24, 2015 10:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 358
Cool, thanks!


 
#5
Nov 24, 2015 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
komic said:
the shoujo-ai is used more for comedy then actually theme. much like K-on and YuruYuri


K-on has no legit yuri, Yuru Yuri on the other hand features real gay girls.
 
#6
Nov 24, 2015 11:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5541
So, can i watch this without haven't seen the original one? honestly im not expecting much and surely i will not watch this for the plot but rather im interested in that shoujo ai tag.

 
#7
Nov 24, 2015 11:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3454
badwolf45f said:
So, can i watch this without haven't seen the original one? honestly im not expecting much and surely i will not watch this for the plot but rather im interested in that shoujo ai tag.


Watch the original. This would not exist if the original sucks.



komic said:
the shoujo-ai is used more for comedy then actually theme. much like K-on and YuruYuri


Aria AA is more of between the two. Aria (the girl) is definitely straight. Akari is just admiration to obsession. I doubt see actually loves Aria like a lover do. The other girls (who shows yuri love) are so funny in their pursuit that I don't take their romance seriously anymore.

So I agree with the yuri hear is pure for comedy.... or fan service ONLY, like Railgun's
#CHEXIT
 
#8
Nov 24, 2015 12:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
badwolf45f said:
So, can i watch this without haven't seen the original one? honestly im not expecting much and surely i will not watch this for the plot but rather im interested in that shoujo ai tag.


No need to watch it. And if you are interested in the yuri, there is none in the original show (which is just generic harem)
 
#9
Nov 24, 2015 4:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3454
Fipse said:

No need to watch it. And if you are interested in the yuri, there is none in the original show (which is just generic harem)


He must coz what's the point of having Aria in the title if the current show doesn't show development or background about her? This is just about Akari's obsession.... and sicking moe-overload

Personally, this is an insult to the franchise.
#CHEXIT
 
Nov 24, 2015 4:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5541
Fipse said:
badwolf45f said:
So, can i watch this without haven't seen the original one? honestly im not expecting much and surely i will not watch this for the plot but rather im interested in that shoujo ai tag.


No need to watch it. And if you are interested in the yuri, there is none in the original show (which is just generic harem)


Okay then thanks! ^^ Ill give it a try then

Imeon said:
Fipse said:

No need to watch it. And if you are interested in the yuri, there is none in the original show (which is just generic harem)


He must coz what's the point of having Aria in the title if the current show doesn't show development or background about her? This is just about Akari's obsession.... and sicking moe-overload

Personally, this is an insult to the franchise.


I've read the synopsis of the original one and im personally not interested however I think I might like this one if it has some funny yuri subtext, Im all for it. I dont really care about the franchise tbh

 
Nov 25, 2015 1:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
Imeon said:

He must coz what's the point of having Aria in the title if the current show doesn't show development or background about her? This is just about Akari's obsession.... and sicking moe-overload

Personally, this is an insult to the franchise.


I don't see how this can be an insult to a franchise that is already insulting its readers with generic hetero harem... ;)
 
Nov 25, 2015 2:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3454
Fipse said:

I don't see how this can be an insult to a franchise that is already insulting its readers with generic hetero harem... ;)


Better than your generic yuri harem that doesn't make any sense. Making every girl in a series almost lesbians.
#CHEXIT
 
Nov 25, 2015 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2112
This is not shoujo ai. It's yuri. MAL really needs to fix this alongside all the other updates.

Imeon said:
Better than your generic yuri harem that doesn't make any sense. Making every girl in a series almost lesbians.

Generic yuri harem? That makes no sense. Where are all the yuri harems at?

Original series was garbage, btw.
 
Nov 25, 2015 4:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
Imeon said:
Fipse said:

I don't see how this can be an insult to a franchise that is already insulting its readers with generic hetero harem... ;)


Better than your generic yuri harem that doesn't make any sense. Making every girl in a series almost lesbians.


So far it is just a love triangle. Well not even that. And how can a yuri harem be generic when there is one anime for it every 5 years? ;)
 
Nov 25, 2015 6:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 358
Redfoxoffire said:
This is not shoujo ai. It's yuri. MAL really needs to fix this alongside all the other updates.


I think they seperated Shoujo Ai and Yuri so that you wont get flooded with Hentai in the search results. Yuri and Shoujo Ai is not that different anyway.


 
Nov 25, 2015 6:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 358
Imeon said:
Making every girl in a series almost lesbians.


I wish.


 
Nov 25, 2015 7:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 15
While Shino & Urara 's attempts to bang Akari are quite a running gag, Raika x Kirin is a real thing!
Kirin asked Raika to take her as her bride and Raika agreed. Then Kirin requested to live together but Raika was too shy to accept.
Raika had a dream of marrying Kirin and they were about to kiss before Riko interrupted.
They are a canon couple in the name of Amica.
 
Nov 25, 2015 10:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2112
boletarier said:
Redfoxoffire said:
This is not shoujo ai. It's yuri. MAL really needs to fix this alongside all the other updates.


I think they seperated Shoujo Ai and Yuri so that you wont get flooded with Hentai in the search results. Yuri and Shoujo Ai is not that different anyway.

Yuri is romance between girls. Shoujo ai is pedophilia. That's a pretty significant difference.
 
Nov 25, 2015 10:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 358
Redfoxoffire said:
boletarier said:


I think they seperated Shoujo Ai and Yuri so that you wont get flooded with Hentai in the search results. Yuri and Shoujo Ai is not that different anyway.

Yuri is romance between girls. Shoujo ai is pedophilia. That's a pretty significant difference.


I've never heard of it that way before, I was pretty sure Shoujo Ai is just about romance between girls?


 
Nov 25, 2015 11:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
boletarier said:


I've never heard of it that way before, I was pretty sure Shoujo Ai is just about romance between girls?


It is something the west made up. In Japan Shoujo Ai means lesbian pedophilia.
 
Nov 25, 2015 12:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 38
Imeon said:
Fipse said:

No need to watch it. And if you are interested in the yuri, there is none in the original show (which is just generic harem)


He must coz what's the point of having Aria in the title if the current show doesn't show development or background about her? This is just about Akari's obsession.... and sicking moe-overload

Personally, this is an insult to the franchise.


Have to agree with you on how you described the show and how it's kind of insulting to the franchise. I'd take it back if the anime proves itself otherwise though.

I specifically didn't read the source material for AA just to 'enjoy' the show more, but now I'm kind of in a pinch.

It begs the question to me: Is the source material really not focused on plot, or did Doga Kobo just focus too much on the less-Aria related parts?

If this goes on, reviews are going to become:
Came for Aria. Got stalking and yuri.

Then again, I came for Reki.
 
Nov 25, 2015 12:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 358
Fipse said:
boletarier said:


I've never heard of it that way before, I was pretty sure Shoujo Ai is just about romance between girls?


It is something the west made up. In Japan Shoujo Ai means lesbian pedophilia.


Well thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea.


 
Nov 25, 2015 4:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 63
boletarier said:

Well thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea.


It helps to check wikipedia from time to time ;)

But MAL isn't really helping by still using that term.
 
Nov 26, 2015 4:17 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 157
GPAD said:
Imeon said:
Personally, this is an insult to the franchise.


Have to agree with you on how you described the show and how it's kind of insulting to the franchise. I'd take it back if the anime proves itself otherwise though.
+1
GPAD said:
I specifically didn't read the source material for AA just to 'enjoy' the show more, but now I'm kind of in a pinch.

It begs the question to me: Is the source material really not focused on plot, or did Doga Kobo just focus too much on the less-Aria related parts?
1. AA manga has more plot & action than the anime.

2. Akari is a little bit more capable than her anime counterpart. It is shown when she actually managed to snatch Aria's badge (yes, it's a badge, not gun in manga), & when she defeated Shino without having Aria feeding her clue by gripping her own necktie.

3. Kirin has a legitimate reason to love Raika. In manga, it wasn't a love at first sight which turned into obsession. Instead, she falls in love only after Raika rescued her from a pair of armed kidnappers. In other words, Raika is Kirin's actual white knight, not just a knight in her delusion.
 
Dec 21, 2015 11:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1630
boletarier said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Yuri is romance between girls. Shoujo ai is pedophilia. That's a pretty significant difference.


I've never heard of it that way before, I was pretty sure Shoujo Ai is just about romance between girls?

That's because it is?

Shoujou ai isn't pedophilia. If you translated it directly it means Girl's Love.
Yuri is hardcore. As in girls having sex with each other.

The reason why yuri anime are tagged Shoujou Ai is so that people don't get flooded with actual yuri.

Fipse said:
Imeon said:

He must coz what's the point of having Aria in the title if the current show doesn't show development or background about her? This is just about Akari's obsession.... and sicking moe-overload

Personally, this is an insult to the franchise.


I don't see how this can be an insult to a franchise that is already insulting its readers with generic hetero harem... ;)

You dislike the original just because the lead is male.

Hating a show because of the gender of the protagonist is just backwards, and you're falling into the hole of acting like the people you hate.

Aria AA is basically just Aria with a female Kinji instead. I mean her harem is basically the same personality wise.

Also, I've never really understood the hate for the original Aria. Kinji was actually a pretty interesting and conflicted character that really brought out a lot of the characters he interacted with. Honestly saw a lot of expressions and personality from the heroines in that show than in AA.
 
Dec 22, 2015 12:18 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 2135
yes it is
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
 
Dec 23, 2015 4:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2112
TitanAnteus said:

That's because it is?

Shoujou ai isn't pedophilia. If you translated it directly it means Girl's Love.
Yuri is hardcore. As in girls having sex with each other.

The reason why yuri anime are tagged Shoujou Ai is so that people don't get flooded with actual yuri.

It helps to do research before spouting bullshit.

Shoujo ai refers to pedophilia in Japan, and the west doesn't use the term to mean "girls love" anymore with the exception of sites like MAL who aren't keeping up with the times. Any official outlet uses "yuri" for any kind of romance between girls, as do actual fans of the genre. In fact, yuri fans - such as myself - typically loathe the term "shoujo ai" when used as a substitute for yuri.

Protip: Translating "directly" will often get you nowhere. Yes, "shoujo ai" literally means "girls love." But while you may read that as "love between girls," in Japan it is "love of [young] girls." Aka pedophilia.
Modified by Florete, Dec 23, 2015 4:17 PM
 
Dec 24, 2015 8:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5343
boletarier said:
Redfoxoffire said:
This is not shoujo ai. It's yuri. MAL really needs to fix this alongside all the other updates.


I think they seperated Shoujo Ai and Yuri so that you wont get flooded with Hentai in the search results. Yuri and Shoujo Ai is not that different anyway.

You can exclude Hentai from your searches, so thats pointless.
- http://rederoin.motionsforum.com -
Anime air dates, BD release dates and Amazon stalker estimates for Anime BDs.
My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
 
May 29, 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 4331
LaCrayCray said:
yes most definitely, there is lesbian attractions all over just the main character isnt lesbian like the girls around her


i believe she is, she just doesn't realize how deep her fiioings for her go
 
Top