Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 24, 2015 3:39 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I just started this and was wondering if the Shoujo Ai tag is legit
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Nov 24, 2015 8:50 AM
Mar 2014
yes most definitely, there is lesbian attractions all over just the main character isnt lesbian like the girls around her
Nov 24, 2015 9:29 AM

Sep 2009
the shoujo-ai is used more for comedy then actually theme. much like K-on and YuruYuri
Nov 24, 2015 10:09 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Cool, thanks!
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Nov 24, 2015 10:45 AM

Mar 2013
komic said:
the shoujo-ai is used more for comedy then actually theme. much like K-on and YuruYuri

K-on has no legit yuri, Yuru Yuri on the other hand features real gay girls.
Nov 24, 2015 11:02 AM

Feb 2013
So, can i watch this without haven't seen the original one? honestly im not expecting much and surely i will not watch this for the plot but rather im interested in that shoujo ai tag.

Nov 24, 2015 11:58 AM

Apr 2015
badwolf45f said:
So, can i watch this without haven't seen the original one? honestly im not expecting much and surely i will not watch this for the plot but rather im interested in that shoujo ai tag.

Watch the original. This would not exist if the original sucks.

komic said:

Aria AA is more of between the two. Aria (the girl) is definitely straight. Akari is just admiration to obsession. I doubt see actually loves Aria like a lover do. The other girls (who shows yuri love) are so funny in their pursuit that I don't take their romance seriously anymore.

So I agree with the yuri hear is pure for comedy.... or fan service ONLY, like Railgun's
#CHEXIT
Nov 24, 2015 12:31 PM

Mar 2013
badwolf45f said:

No need to watch it. And if you are interested in the yuri, there is none in the original show (which is just generic harem)
Nov 24, 2015 4:39 PM

Apr 2015
Fipse said:

No need to watch it. And if you are interested in the yuri, there is none in the original show (which is just generic harem)

He must coz what's the point of having Aria in the title if the current show doesn't show development or background about her? This is just about Akari's obsession.... and sicking moe-overload

Personally, this is an insult to the franchise.
#CHEXIT
Nov 24, 2015 4:48 PM

Feb 2013
Fipse said:
badwolf45f said:

Okay then thanks! ^^ Ill give it a try then

Imeon said:
Fipse said:

He must coz what's the point of having Aria in the title if the current show doesn't show development or background about her? This is just about Akari's obsession.... and sicking moe-overload

I've read the synopsis of the original one and im personally not interested however I think I might like this one if it has some funny yuri subtext, Im all for it. I dont really care about the franchise tbh

Nov 25, 2015 1:52 AM

Mar 2013
Imeon said:

I don't see how this can be an insult to a franchise that is already insulting its readers with generic hetero harem... ;)
Nov 25, 2015 2:18 AM

Apr 2015
Fipse said:

I don't see how this can be an insult to a franchise that is already insulting its readers with generic hetero harem... ;)

Better than your generic yuri harem that doesn't make any sense. Making every girl in a series almost lesbians.
#CHEXIT
Nov 25, 2015 3:33 AM

Jun 2008
This is not shoujo ai. It's yuri. MAL really needs to fix this alongside all the other updates.

Imeon said:
Better than your generic yuri harem that doesn't make any sense. Making every girl in a series almost lesbians.

Generic yuri harem? That makes no sense. Where are all the yuri harems at?

Original series was garbage, btw.
Nov 25, 2015 4:37 AM

Mar 2013
Imeon said:
Fipse said:

So far it is just a love triangle. Well not even that. And how can a yuri harem be generic when there is one anime for it every 5 years? ;)
Nov 25, 2015 6:47 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
This is not shoujo ai. It's yuri. MAL really needs to fix this alongside all the other updates.

I think they seperated Shoujo Ai and Yuri so that you wont get flooded with Hentai in the search results. Yuri and Shoujo Ai is not that different anyway.

Nov 25, 2015 6:48 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Imeon said:
Making every girl in a series almost lesbians.

I wish.

Nov 25, 2015 7:37 AM
Dec 2009
While Shino & Urara 's attempts to bang Akari are quite a running gag, Raika x Kirin is a real thing!
Kirin asked Raika to take her as her bride and Raika agreed. Then Kirin requested to live together but Raika was too shy to accept.
Raika had a dream of marrying Kirin and they were about to kiss before Riko interrupted.
They are a canon couple in the name of Amica.
Nov 25, 2015 10:10 AM

Jun 2008
boletarier said:
Redfoxoffire said:

I think they seperated Shoujo Ai and Yuri so that you wont get flooded with Hentai in the search results. Yuri and Shoujo Ai is not that different anyway.

Yuri is romance between girls. Shoujo ai is pedophilia. That's a pretty significant difference.
Nov 25, 2015 10:30 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
boletarier said:

Yuri is romance between girls. Shoujo ai is pedophilia. That's a pretty significant difference.

I've never heard of it that way before, I was pretty sure Shoujo Ai is just about romance between girls?

Nov 25, 2015 11:41 AM

Mar 2013
boletarier said:

I've never heard of it that way before, I was pretty sure Shoujo Ai is just about romance between girls?

It is something the west made up. In Japan Shoujo Ai means lesbian pedophilia.
Nov 25, 2015 12:11 PM
Nov 2015
Imeon said:
Fipse said:

Have to agree with you on how you described the show and how it's kind of insulting to the franchise. I'd take it back if the anime proves itself otherwise though.

I specifically didn't read the source material for AA just to 'enjoy' the show more, but now I'm kind of in a pinch.

It begs the question to me: Is the source material really not focused on plot, or did Doga Kobo just focus too much on the less-Aria related parts?

If this goes on, reviews are going to become:
Came for Aria. Got stalking and yuri.

Then again, I came for Reki.
Nov 25, 2015 12:43 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Fipse said:
boletarier said:

It is something the west made up. In Japan Shoujo Ai means lesbian pedophilia.

Well thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea.

Nov 25, 2015 4:35 PM

Mar 2013
boletarier said:

Well thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea.

It helps to check wikipedia from time to time ;)

But MAL isn't really helping by still using that term.
Nov 26, 2015 4:17 AM
Oct 2015
GPAD said:
Imeon said:

Have to agree with you on how you described the show and how it's kind of insulting to the franchise. I'd take it back if the anime proves itself otherwise though.
+1
GPAD said:
I specifically didn't read the source material for AA just to 'enjoy' the show more, but now I'm kind of in a pinch.

It begs the question to me: Is the source material really not focused on plot, or did Doga Kobo just focus too much on the less-Aria related parts?
1. AA manga has more plot & action than the anime.

2. Akari is a little bit more capable than her anime counterpart. It is shown when she actually managed to snatch Aria's badge (yes, it's a badge, not gun in manga), & when she defeated Shino without having Aria feeding her clue by gripping her own necktie.

3. Kirin has a legitimate reason to love Raika. In manga, it wasn't a love at first sight which turned into obsession. Instead, she falls in love only after Raika rescued her from a pair of armed kidnappers. In other words, Raika is Kirin's actual white knight, not just a knight in her delusion.
Dec 21, 2015 11:55 PM

Jan 2013
boletarier said:
Redfoxoffire said:

That's because it is?

Shoujou ai isn't pedophilia. If you translated it directly it means Girl's Love.
Yuri is hardcore. As in girls having sex with each other.

The reason why yuri anime are tagged Shoujou Ai is so that people don't get flooded with actual yuri.

Fipse said:
Imeon said:

You dislike the original just because the lead is male.

Hating a show because of the gender of the protagonist is just backwards, and you're falling into the hole of acting like the people you hate.

Aria AA is basically just Aria with a female Kinji instead. I mean her harem is basically the same personality wise.

Also, I've never really understood the hate for the original Aria. Kinji was actually a pretty interesting and conflicted character that really brought out a lot of the characters he interacted with. Honestly saw a lot of expressions and personality from the heroines in that show than in AA.
Dec 22, 2015 12:18 AM

May 2014
yes it is
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Dec 23, 2015 4:12 PM

Jun 2008
TitanAnteus said:

That's because it is?

Shoujou ai isn't pedophilia. If you translated it directly it means Girl's Love.
Yuri is hardcore. As in girls having sex with each other.

The reason why yuri anime are tagged Shoujou Ai is so that people don't get flooded with actual yuri.

It helps to do research before spouting bullshit.

Shoujo ai refers to pedophilia in Japan, and the west doesn't use the term to mean "girls love" anymore with the exception of sites like MAL who aren't keeping up with the times. Any official outlet uses "yuri" for any kind of romance between girls, as do actual fans of the genre. In fact, yuri fans - such as myself - typically loathe the term "shoujo ai" when used as a substitute for yuri.

Protip: Translating "directly" will often get you nowhere. Yes, "shoujo ai" literally means "girls love." But while you may read that as "love between girls," in Japan it is "love of [young] girls." Aka pedophilia.
FloreteDec 23, 2015 4:17 PM
Dec 24, 2015 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
boletarier said:
Redfoxoffire said:

You can exclude Hentai from your searches, so thats pointless.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
May 29, 2019 5:16 AM

Sep 2012
LaCrayCray said:
yes most definitely, there is lesbian attractions all over just the main character isnt lesbian like the girls around her

i believe she is, she just doesn't realize how deep her fiioings for her go
Jan 29, 2023 6:54 AM

Aug 2019
RPSB9 said:
for comedy.... or fan service ONLY, like Railgun's

ill never get my misaka x kuroko ;(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Raika is the least likable character in the entire show and probably anime

Neolightveo - Dec 11, 2023

1 by sorames »»
Dec 12, 2023 5:33 AM

Poll: » Hidan no Aria AA Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2015

40 by wildhood »»
Sep 10, 2022 3:51 PM

» Where does Hidan no Aria AA take place?

SleepySenpaiSama - Oct 10, 2015

23 by Jomi13111 »»
Jun 13, 2021 6:52 PM

Poll: » Hidan no Aria AA Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2015

53 by DmonHiro »»
May 24, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Hidan no Aria AA Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2015

30 by Ashhk »»
Jul 8, 2020 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.